Traffic tickets and naturalization (threads merged)

I guess dilemma may be that if you already dislcosed traffic ticket, you
have no reason not to disclode traffic tiget you got after submitting N400.
If you disclsoe post-submission ticket after the IO repeatedly ask and then
ask you why you did not mention it at first. if you answer I don't
know traffic ticket count then IO may say "You already disclose some
on your N-400"

I had a criminal arrest (nothing to do with any moving violations), which I disclosed on the N-400, along with certified court disposition attesting that the charges were dismissed and the case has been thrown out. I did NOT disclose any moving violations on my N-400.

While I know that minor traffic violations are usually not an issue for naturalization purposes, does anyone know if the fact that this speeding ticket is still unresolved (I haven't had the chance to pay the fine or go to court to contest it yet) may delay or affect the interview outcome?

I would suggest that when you get to that part of the interview and the IO proceeds down the line of questions related to GMC, you explain that you received this most recent speeding ticket. Technically speaking, receiving a ticket is being "cited" by the police. So you could explain that you received a citation and wanted to be up-front about that. If the fine is less than $500 and there were no drugs or alcohol involved, the IO should just move on.

With regard to the resolved or unresolved issue, explain that you haven't yet had a chance to pay the ticket, but that you intend to resolve the matter asap.

Good Luck with your interview!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would suggest that when you get to that part of the interview and the IO proceeds down the line of questions related to GMC, you explain that you received this most recent speeding ticket. Technically speaking, receiving a ticket is being "cited" by the police. So you could explain that you received a citation and wanted to be up-front about that. If the fine is less than $500 and there were no drugs or alcohol involved, the IO should just move on.

With regard to the resolved or unresolved issue, explain that you haven't yet had a chance to pay the ticket, but that you intend to resolve the matter asap.

Good Luck with your interview!

Thanks

hey you don't have to disclose traffic citations on your application or interview until the fine is over $500. This is in the filing instructions. Traffic infractions are not any concern to USCIS.

hey you don't have to disclose traffic citations on your application or interview until the fine is over $500. This is in the filing instructions. Traffic infractions are not any concern to USCIS.

The filing instructions state you don't need to provide documentation for traffic tickets under $500, not that you don't need to disclose them outright. Whether one decides to disclose a traffic ticket under $500 is personnel choice rather than USCIS instruction.

We are in preparing to file the N-400 by this weekend and I got a speeding ticket yesterday. I beleive that it will take a month or so to get the court papers to pay the fine. Shall I mention in N-400 or not? If I mention it in N-400 then what should I write on the last column of it which asks as courts disposition?

Question!

OK, i got my yellow letter a month after i got my interview date(i'm not sure if that's'
common) but anywho, i crossed part 10 D 16(the, have you ever been arrested, cited..)
on my application. I had a minor traffic citation(speeding with less than $200fine) So,
I assume that that is a citation so I crossed them.

So, on my yellow letter they said that I indicated that I was arrested(but i wasn't
just cited for minor traffic violation) and they want me to bring all the arrest record
and court disposition showing how the incident was resolved.

What should I do? What should I tell them? I never got arrested and I don't have
this stuff they asking me to bring.

Thanks.

I had a minor traffic citation (speeding with less than $200fine) So, I assume that that is a citation so I crossed them.

So, on my yellow letter they said that I indicated that I was arrested (but i wasn't just cited for minor traffic violation) and they want me to bring all the arrest record and court disposition showing how the incident was resolved.

What should I do? What should I tell them? I never got arrested and I don't have this stuff they asking me to bring.

The letter you received is a standard form letter that goes out to applicants in preparation for the interview. Since the question you answered includes both the words "arrested" and "cited", they are just alerting you to bring the appropriate paperwork to the interview. At this point, they don't know that you were just "cited" in terms of receiving a speeding ticket and not "arrested" in terms of anything more serious. As such, if you need to take anything at all, it would be evidence that you resolved the speeding ticket, either by paying it or by having it dismissed. But as a general rule, you do not need to provide documentation for any traffic tickets under $500, and that did not involve alcohol or drugs. So I don't think there is anything specific you need to do with regard to this particular instruction.

Whose application actually was denied due to traffic tickets?

After seeing more than 60 pages about traffic tickets, I am wondering who actually got denied due to minor traffic tickets ( non-DUI, DWI stuff). If nobody ever gets denied, then why bother on this kind of question?

JX

After seeing more than 60 pages about traffic tickets, I am wondering who actually got denied due to minor traffic tickets ( non-DUI, DWI stuff). If nobody ever gets denied, then why bother on this kind of question?

JX

Last year, right around this time, an applicant from NYC claimed that his case was denied due to bad moral character, resulting from 3 speeding tickets in 8 years. This person filed an appeal, but never returned to the forum to post the details. There's no way of telling whether this story was even true.

On a side note, there have been numerous court cases where it was established that minor traffic violations do not constitute bad moral character. As many posts in this thread suggest, the ambiguity of the "Have you ever been cited..." question is most likely there to catch DUI offenders.

JX

It's not just a question of denial, but whether IO asks about it at interview. Some IOs ask if you have paid minor traffic ticket,but most of the time they don't. The purpose of having this as a sticky is that it comes up as an ongoing topic on this forum.

Last year, right around this time, an applicant from NYC claimed that his case was denied due to bad moral character, resulting from 3 speeding tickets in 8 years.

This resulting in a bad moral character and in NYC :eek: too! I am shocked to say the least. If this case were true, it could not have stood an appeal.

This resulting in a bad moral character and in NYC :eek: too! I am shocked to say the least. If this case were true, it could not have stood an appeal.

If you're interested, search the NYC thread for posts by nyc_newbie. Supposedly, he had a straightforward case, yet the IO spent the majority of the interview grilling him about the speeding tickets, making him out to look like a criminal. Like I've said, since nyc_newbie never returned to the forum to describe the results of the appeal, I somewhat question that whole story.

However, if it was true, then the case would definitely get overturned on appeal. The IO should face disciplinary actions as well.

I recently took a 6 hour insurance reduction course. When the instructor was discussing speeding, some people felt that speeding should be a crime with a mandatory prison sentence (I kid you not). Maybe the IO was one of them...

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently took a 6 hour insurance reduction course. When the instructor was discussing speeding, some people felt that speeding should be a crime with a mandatory prison sentence (I kid you not). Maybe the IO was one of them...

Even more shocking! :eek: Were these guys from Naussau County, Westchester or New Jersey? :). Speeding has always been the NYC way! If you've ever driven downtown, you probably know what I am talking about...

Even more shocking! :eek: Were these guys from Naussau County, Westchester or New Jersey? :). Speeding has always been the NYC way! If you've ever driven downtown, you probably know what I am talking about...

Actually, they were middle-aged people who seemed like the type who do 50 mph in the left lane.

As far as downtown driving goes, if only it was posible to get past the traffic to actually accelerate to what would be considered speeding! :rolleyes:

Actually, they were middle-aged people who seemed like the type who do 50 mph in the left lane.

As far as downtown driving goes, if only it was posible to get past the traffic to actually accelerate to what would be considered speeding! :rolleyes:

Exactly! And drivers get so frustrated by traffic, they can't wait to speed up when the occasion presents, specially yellow cabs. Try 2nd Ave between 8pm and midnight...:)

If you have been arrested or convicted of a
crime, you must send a certified copy of the
arrest report, court disposition, sentencing,
and any other relevant documents, including
any countervailing evidence concerning
the circumstances of your arrest and/or
conviction that you would like USCIS to
consider. Note that unless a traffic incident
was alcohol or drug related, you do not need
to submit documentation for traffic fines and
incidents that did not involve an actual arrest
if the only penalty was a fine of less than
$500 and/or points on your driver’s license

Form M-476(rev. 01/09) - A Guide to Naturalization, Good Moral Character p.25

Hello everyone,
quick question on the speeding tickets issue. This is what I have noticed from the instructions document:
Note that unless a traffic incident was alcohol or drug related, you do not need to submit documentation for traffic fines and incidents that did not involve an actual arrest if the only penalty was a fine of less than $500 or points on your driver's license.

Does that mean, I should select YES for the citation question (PART 10 D-16)of the
N-400 form but don't have to prove it OR do I click on "NO" for that question??

Please respond.