Traffic tickets and naturalization (threads merged)

Hi guys. Quick question. I have my interview within a month, but I just received a speeding ticket. I want to go to court to try to have the 2 points removed, but doubt that I will have a court date before my interview. If court date is still pending when I go to the interview, could this be a big problem? Fine is only 90 dollars.

Hi guys. Quick question. I have my interview within a month, but I just received a speeding ticket. I want to go to court to try to have the 2 points removed, but doubt that I will have a court date before my interview. If court date is still pending when I go to the interview, could this be a big problem? Fine is only 90 dollars.

It depends on if you decide to disclose the minor traffic at interview and if IO decides to make an issue out of it.

Yes I would disclose it, but, would having an open traffic case affect the outcome of my interview or taking the oath?

Yes I would disclose it, but, would having an open traffic case affect the outcome of my interview or taking the oath?

Like I said, it depends on the IO. There have been reports of IOs requesting proof of payment for minor traffic tickets on this forum in the past.

Yes. You will not be allowed to take an oath if you have a traffic ticket unresolved.

This is not quite accurate. You will not be allowed to take the oath if you cannot pass the N-400 interview. Passing the interview depends on the specific IO's discretion with regard to minor traffic tickets.

Most IOs choose not to make a big deal about minor traffic tickets (no drugs, no alcohol, and fine less than $500). Every now and then someone will report on this forum about an IO who requested documentation showing that the minor ticket was resolved. This does not happen as a routine course of events at most DOs or with most IOs.

If you have an open traffic ticket case pending when you go for your N-400 interview, tell the IO that. Chances are pretty good that if it is a minor traffic ticket the IO will just move on to the rest of the interview. I have not seen reports on this forum of an N-400 interview delayed/postponed/disapproved on the basis of a minor traffic ticket.

This is not quite accurate. You will not be allowed to take the oath if you cannot pass the N-400 interview. Passing the interview depends on the specific IO's discretion with regard to minor traffic tickets.

Most IOs choose not to make a big deal about minor traffic tickets (no drugs, no alcohol, and fine less than $500). Every now and then someone will report on this forum about an IO who requested documentation showing that the minor ticket was resolved. This does not happen as a routine course of events at most DOs or with most IOs.

If you have an open traffic ticket case pending when you go for your N-400 interview, tell the IO that. Chances are pretty good that if it is a minor traffic ticket the IO will just move on to the rest of the interview. I have not seen reports on this forum of an N-400 interview delayed/postponed/disapproved on the basis of a minor traffic ticket.

While what you state is accurate, there have been no reports either of people
who have had open tickets AND presented at an OATH ceremony, admiited that on the OATH form and were allowed to take the oath. I recall that in one case a guy on this forum got a ticket after the interview and before OATH and he was asked specifically on the OATH form if he had obtained and tickets after the interview and he said YES. The I/O at the OATH took him aside and asked to see all proof of ticket and its disposition before allowing him to take oath.

Last edited by a moderator:
While what you state is accurate, there have been no reports either of people
who have had open tickets AND presented at an OATH ceremony, admiited that on the OATH form and were allowed to take the oath. I recall that in one case a guy on this forum got a ticket after the interview and before OATH and he was asked specifically on the OATH form if he had obtained and tickets after the interview and he said YES. The I/O at the OATH took him aside and asked to see all proof of ticket and its disposition before allowing him to take oath.

As I've mentioned before, the IO in charge of my oath ceremony specifically instructed everyone not to disclose traffic tickets while filling out the oath letter. One of the oath takers apparently wasn't paying attention and tried to disclose a traffic ticket. The IO repeated to him that she doesn't care about traffic ticket, stopped the ceremony, and made another announcement that she is only concerned with arrests and no one is to disclose traffic tickets.

very confused

i am still very confused.i got speeding ticket a week before.but my lawer did not put in my n 400.and i have hired a lawer to fight my speeding ticket which has court trial on july23.
should i disclose at the time of interview.my lawer advised me not to as it is still open case and am not guilty.and it could delay unneccesary my case.

if i get oath letter scheduleding my oath before my traffic court date.should i mention it on oath letter as they ask for it or i should assume it as open case and not to mention it.?
hell confused.
donnt want get delayed just for minor ticket.
your views on this matter appreciated.

During my interview on 5/28, I did mention that I had few traffic violation tickets to the IO. IO asked whether they lead to arrest/DUI. I stated no. IO mentioned that then there is no issue and they donot care about those minor violations unless it lead to an arrest.
Just my experience and wanted to share here.

During my interview on 5/28, I did mention that I had few traffic violation tickets to the IO. IO asked whether they lead to arrest/DUI. I stated no. IO mentioned that then there is no issue and they donot care about those minor violations unless it lead to an arrest.
Just my experience and wanted to share here.

Thanks for all the responses. rajarajan3, what's the procedure during the interview? Does the IO review your application and ask additional questions?

With regards to your tickets, did the IO ask you if you had tickets when they got to reviewing that part of the application, or did you disclose it at the start of the interview?

How do I exactly put Traffic Ticket info into N-400?

Dears:

Said enough, I decided to disclose (not to document) my tickets. All of which were less then $500 and not drug or alcohol related.

The question is how do you exactly put them into your N-400?

First off you start with checking "YES" at D.16 question.

Where do you enter ticket info? In the table below or on a separate sheet?

If in the table?
Q: Why were you arrested, cited, detained, or charged?
A: Disobeyed Stop Sign

Q: Date arrested, cited, detained, or charged?
A: 01/02/2009

Q: Where were you arrested, cited, detained, or charged?
A: New York City, NY, USA

Q: Outcome or disposition of arrest, citation, detention, or charge?
A: Received a ticket. Paid a fine. (in case you admit guilt and paid fine)
or
A: Recived a ticket. Traffic judge found me not guilty. Ticket dismissed. (in case you went to court and was found, you guessed, not guilty)
or
A: Recived a ticket. Traffic judge found me guilty. Paid fine and surcharges. (in case you went to court and was found guilty)

Or just put all stuff on a separate sheet and explain all? Starting by I have never been arrested, but have got some traffic tickets (citations)?

Thanks in advance for your well though thru answer :)

Speeding ticket

I got a speeding ticket (no citation) of $90 in 2002 which I paid. I did not mentioned in N400 form based on instructions (less than $500 and no citation). I want to be honest and disclose if IO ask during interview.

Do I need to prepare or carry any kind of documets/proof for this.

Thanks

2002 is outside of statutory period. If you have receipt you can bring it to interview , but I doubt the IO would even pursue the issue further.

Many opinions are provided. Just my reading in instruction and ask for clarification.

The instruction on page 4 states: "For example, if you were never arrested but were once detained by a police officer, check "Yes" to the question "Have you ever been arrested or detained by a low enforcement officeer?" and attach a writen explanation. "

- So if stopped by a police officer for a ticket, will be considered as "detained"?

If so, need a full record of the tickets to write on the explanation sheet. (why, when, where, and outcome) - Will DWI have all the records detaily?

Opinions are highly appreciated.
Bill

I got a Traffic ticket for Red light in April, 1999. I didn’t contest, I paid the fee and went to classes to get rid of the effect on Insurance.

I am planning to apply my employment based I-400 this month, do I need to show this in the application?

I don’t have the documents now, Can I go to the Police / court to get the copies from 1999?

Traffic ticket advice

Friends,

Need your advice. Received the yellow interview letter today which asks me to bring copies of all arrest records as I have indicated I had been arrested. I had indicated I had two traffic incidents:

- One was way back in 2001, when I was driving on I-20 east towards Shreveport, LA from Dallas, TX..speeding 10 miles over limit and had to pay fine of USD 125 via mail...don't have any records to show

- One was a redlight violation ticket from City of Plano in late 2007. Paid a fine of USD 75. No records to show here either

- My DPS licence history is available and shows I have no moving violations on record.

In retrospect, I should not have disclosed any of these incidents as they are really minor - but how do I ensure that I am covered...don't even know how to get court copies for mail tickets. Please advise.

I just had my interview recently and the I/O only asked me if I had ever been arrested and I said no and he moved on to the next question.

I got one ages ago in NV. Just in case, I called the court-they had two courts and i told them it was the NHP that issued me the ticket. They then gave me the other court's number. I called hte other one and they just took my last name, verified a few things and mailed the history to me in five days-free of charge.

I had my evidence , but was never asked. I think it sayd on the documentation that no need for evidence for under 500 dollars or some such. If you do, just call that county court, they may have a record. But it shouldn't be a major issue.