Traffic tickets and naturalization (threads merged)

hi Andhra,

i am in the same boat as you. received a speeding violation today. my oath is on Tuesday 15th july.

Please let me know what did you do. did you mark "Yes" for point 4 on Form N-445.

did you take the citation with you to the oath ceremony.

the officer told me that the citation will not be in the system till 2 to 3 weeks.

yes, you should mark "yes" on the form as you must tell the truth. Yes, you should take the citation with you (make sure to make copies of ticket).

It may delay your oath until it is paid. some officers may let you take the oath.

At least, congratulations! :)

HI

would the oath really be delayed? i am willing to pay the ticket and get it out with but it wont be in the system yet.

hope no more waits. waited enough,,,,:)

Center: VSC
N-400 mailing date: 07/18/2006
PD: 07/31/2006
FP: 08/14/2006
-stuck in name check process
- 10/04/07- moved to california
ND: 02/27/2006-notice of Fingerprint expired. reappear for fingerprinting
FP: 03/12/08
Interview scheduled: 05/19/2008 at 8:20 AM
Oath: 07/15/2008 at 1.30PM

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe they will let you take the Oath, it is a minor traffic violation for which you have not been convicted yet.- It is a complaint against you, if you pay it you are admitting guilt.- If you don't pay it, try to go to the judge's chamber and explain the situation to the Judge.- He will understand and maybe give you a break if you have a clean record.-

Try to get a court date as soon as posible by showing up at the courthouse in person. If the person doesn't want to help you, ask for a supervisor, make sure you take your OL with you. They will notify the police officer, hire a lawyer or plead no contest to the charges, go to school to take the points off and ask for for a fine reduction.-

Keep us posted. And congratulations.-

I believe they will let you take the Oath, it is a minor traffic violation for which you have not been convicted yet.- It is a complaint against you, if you pay it you are admitting guilt.- If you don't pay it, try to go to the judge's chamber and explain the situation to the Judge.- He will understand and maybe give you a break if you have a clean record.-

Try to get a court date as soon as posible by showing up at the courthouse in person. If the person doesn't want to help you, ask for a supervisor, make sure you take your OL with you. They will notify the police officer, hire a lawyer or plead no contest to the charges, go to school to take the points off and ask for for a fine reduction.-

Keep us posted. And congratulations.-

Actually, there have been quite a few stories on this forum about applicants receiving traffic tickets shortly before the oath and not being allowed to take the oath until the ticket has been taken care of.

Actually, there have been quite a few stories on this forum about applicants receiving traffic tickets shortly before the oath and not being allowed to take the oath until the ticket has been taken care of.

Yes, I Know. And it sound ridiculous that a 10 miles over the speed limit might impede anyone from doing another administrative errand with the govt, for it is " only an administrative process to become a citizen. "

Yes, I Know. And it sound ridiculous that a 10 miles over the speed limit might impede anyone from doing another administrative errand with the govt, for it is " only an administrative process to become a citizen. "

I agree. It's absolutely ridiculous that a person can be prevented from becoming a citizen because of a minor traffic ticket. What's next, the USCIS will require applicants to disclose detentions that they received back in grade school?:rolleyes:

Vorpal is right

I agree with Vorpal all the way. Few months back, one of my friends in Atlanta got a speeding tkt just about a week before his oath date and he was not allowed to take the oath and was asked to come back once the tkt was paid. He was told that he will receive a seperate notice with a revised date for his oath.

HI,

Let me correct myself.. the officer gave me "notice to Appear" when he pulled me over. i havent received the ticket yet in the mail.

Do i still mark Yes for question 4, in form N-445

HI,

Let me correct myself.. the officer gave me "notice to Appear" when he pulled me over. i havent received the ticket yet in the mail.

Do i still mark Yes for question 4, in form N-445

Hmmm, this is getting more and more interesting by the minute!

Since you haven't yet received a ticket in the mail nor have you been formally charged with a traffic offense, I'm not sure if this qualifies as a traffic ticket. Is there a section on this notice that states something to the extent of "The driver has been charged with..."? Also, what offense is mentioned on the notice?

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

the offence circled is "infraction".

Code and Section 22350 (california) - looked up online- Basic speed law

"Without admitting guilt , I promise to Appear at the time and place indicated below"

this is where the office asked me to sign

"Notice to Appear" with a defined court date, is consideed a "active" case pending its disposition. Unless someone tells me different, a "notice to appear" issued by the traffic cop IS indeed a "trafic citation" even there is no fine amount was determined at the time of issuing. It is common under various local laws, the fine/point ARE to be determined at municiple court.

Last edited by a moderator:
the offence circled is "infraction".

Code and Section 22350 (california) - looked up online- Basic speed law

"Without admitting guilt , I promise to Appear at the time and place indicated below"

this is where the office asked me to sign

Since you are charged with speeding, this is still a traffic ticket. I'm afraid that there's no real way around it. Disclose it on the back of your oath letter and bring the original notice with you. You may luck out and get the oath. However, they will most likely delay your oath until this issue is resolved.

Hi All,

thanks for all your replies.

finished the oath today. Finally m done...

i marked yes for question 4 on N-445. When entering the auditorium officer asked me what happened, i mentioned i had a minor traffic violation, he wrote it on the form and asked me to go resolutions booth. Went up there and lady asked these questions

1. did the ticket involve drug or alcohol.

2. then she asked if i had paid the ticket. i informed her that i havent received the ticket yet. she then said i am going to pay the ticket when i get it, i said yes and she wrote it on the form and said m all set to go.

Took my Oath. Finally a Citizen after 715 days. (PD to Oath Date)

Hi All,

thanks for all your replies.

finished the oath today. Finally m done...

i marked yes for question 4 on N-445. When entering the auditorium officer asked me what happened, i mentioned i had a minor traffic violation, he wrote it on the form and asked me to go resolutions booth. Went up there and lady asked these questions

1. did the ticket involve drug or alcohol.

2. then she asked if i had paid the ticket. i informed her that i havent received the ticket yet. she then said i am going to pay the ticket when i get it, i said yes and she wrote it on the form and said m all set to go.

Took my Oath. Finally a Citizen after 715 days. (PD to Oath Date)

Congrats, spygame! I'm glad everything worked out in your favor. I believe you are the first forum member in this situation who was allowed to take the oath. Enjoy your new citizenship!