Traffic tickets and naturalization (threads merged)

Yet another traffic citation question

Didn't want to create a separate thread for this one. Sadly my application is ready to be mailed, except for my mind is not made up on the traffic tickets issues...

In my case:

1) I had 3-4 speeding/stop sign tickets over 3 years ago in CA where DMV has no records after 3 years. There is no way to get a proof. I want to be honest but what if they ask a proof and I can't produce one, will it complicate things?

2) Got stopped for speeding recently in NY but the officer was kind and gave non-moving sitation instead. Got my DMV print out and there is no record that ticket. What should I do about this one? Technically speaking I was cited.

Thanks in advance.

another traffic ticket question

Maybe somebody should put all of these in one batch...

I am ready to file except not sure what to put down for the parking tickets. Here is my story:

1) I had 3-4 speeding/stop sign tickets over 3 years ago in CA where DMV has no records after 3 years. There is no way to get a proof. I want to be honest but what if they ask a proof and I can't produce one, will it delay the processing?

2) Got stopped for speeding recently in NY but the officer was kind and gave non-moving sitation instead. Got my DMV print out and there is no record that ticket. What should I do about this one? Technically speaking I was cited.

Thanks in advance.

If it were me, I'd report them. If you want something with you at the interview, get something from the DMV showing that you have a "clean" record.

Others will disagree

Traffic citation, pending interview at Baltimore office

Hi,
My citizeship interview is sheduled next week at Baltimore office.
Yesterday I had an accident in parking lot. I hit an unattended vehicle and
failed to leave contact information. I got a traffic citation for that and
asked to appear before court. (The court date is not scheduled yet)

Do I have to mention this during my citizenship interview?
I dont have any other violations in the past.

Please let me know what are my options.

Thank you

Yes, you must mention it. I expect the IO will want to see court disposition, so your case may get delayed a bit while waiting for the court date.

Thanks for the reply.

Should I voluntarily mention this to the immigration officer during the interview even if the questions regarding traffic violations/arrest
does not come up.

failed to leave contact information

No offense, however, I would hope that the officer will question your moral integrity. I am sure it will be much harder for you to get approved unless you have a good reason as to why you took off. If you did it out of malice, there is a realistic chance your application could be denied as it should.

Should I voluntarily mention this to the immigration officer during the interview even if the questions regarding traffic violations/arrest does not come up.

Oh it will come up, because the IO walks you through every single line item on your N-400 in order to verify the information given.

I too see this as a morality issue. This is not much different to hit and run. The only difference is no human was injured. But neverthless not leaving contact information after property damage could question the intention of the offender in trying to not take responsibility for one's actions. You will need a a very clear explanation of why you did it. Not declaring now is worse because this can come up any time later in your life.

Hi,

Thank you
Can you post your timeline?

Yeah that might be a big thing considering your moral character right before your interview. Get all your docs in order, and wouldn't be surprised if they don't make a decision at that time of your Citizenship eligibility...

Hi,

Thank you

I had a pending traffic ticket and the IO gave me 30 days to clear it up after the interview -- otherwise, the IO said that she would deny the case. I ended up pleading guilty to it instead of waiting for a court date. I was pissed off at that time since I showed her the traffic ticket which was for a simple speeding offense -- but come to think of it now, I understand why she did what she did. It wasn't really up to her to guess what the outcome of the court case would be -- once I paid the fine and gave her a court disposition, I got the oath letter in a few weeks.

So, in short, you will find that most likely you will be given 30 days from the date of interview to resolve the case and give them a court disposition. If the traffic ticket results in a misdemeanor or felony conviction because you left the scene, there is a real chance that your application will be denied. Contact a good traffic lawyer and get this processed pronto -- most courts will accommodate you if you want to pre-pone the court date if you give them adequate reasons (it is in the hands of the court clerk). And a good traffic lawyer can get the charges reduced by quite a bit if your record is otherwise clean.

No offense, however, I would hope that the officer will question your moral integrity. I am sure it will be much harder for you to get approved unless you have a good reason as to why you took off. If you did it out of malice, there is a realistic chance your application could be denied as it should.

I fund it funny how you start with the cliche "No offense" and then go on being malicious and offensive.

Should his/her application be denied? Really? Just because of a fender bender and making the wrong decision?
I don't think it will (or should) get denied.
Things that will permanently bar you from naturalization are things like murder. And no, it is not like a hit and run.
How about maliciously not putting money in the meter? Oh, I guess you don't hurt anybody that way. Oh wait, you steal money from the taxpayers! How is it different from stealing from one particular person?
Do you realy think everybody who (maliciously or otherwise) allowed a parking meter to expire is unfit for being a citizen of this great country?
Give the guy/gal some slack and be helpful instead of insulting him/her.

And for you, Mr/Ms accident-scene-leaver: don't be cheap, get a good attorney who can make this thing go away like it never happened. And good luck.

Things that will permanently bar you from naturalization are things like murder.

...and lying, especially to USCIS, which of course is really the subject of this whole debate.

Now I don't for one minute suppose the offense itself is grounds for denial, but the fact remains the OP will need to declare the citation and most probably get a court disposition, which hopefully will involve a fine of less than $500.

Failing to declare the citation would constitute lying to USCIS, which as noted, could get you permanently barred from naturalizing,

...and lying, especially to USCIS, which of course is really the subject of this whole debate.

Now I don't for one minute suppose the offense itself is grounds for denial, but the fact remains the OP will need to declare the citation and most probably get a court disposition, which hopefully will involve a fine of less than $500.

Failing to declare the citation would constitute lying to USCIS, which as noted, could get you permanently barred from naturalizing,

Agreed. He/she should absolutely disclose it. But, if a favorable court disposition can be obtained quickyl (with the help of a good attorney) then I think it will be a non-issue.

My exp with tickets/ Tax Returns

I had an interview couple of weeks ago; two experiences that may be of use to some of you attending a Naturalization Interview:
1. Ticket - Ihave had 3 speeding tickets in the last 13 years as a GC Holder; unfortunately; they are also in the last 5 years.
2003 - Paid a fine of $150 out of ignorance
2004 - Hired an attorney and it was dismissed
2006 - Defensive driving and dismissed
The USCIS web site clearly states that no documents are needed if your fines were lesser than $500 for any individual citation
Result: The interviewer has asked me for a Court Disposition Order for all the tickets. Went to the courts and they have no record for the 2003 & 2004 & could only give a certificate that my record was clear; which I have mailed to the USCIS - While I wait & I do not foresee any issues; it is unfortunate that the Officer asks me for information beyond what the law allows her and I had no recourse at that point of time
2. Tax Returns - Was asked to get the Transcripts for the last 5 years. When I called the automated system it would provide for the last 3 years. Spoke with an IRS Officer and was told that the system only provides for 3 years - there is a disconnect between the IRS & the USCIS. I carried copies for the earlier 2 years which was accepted.
My wife and my sons had interviews and they were all asked for any citations for traffic - I understand excessive tickets are grounds for rejection on grounds of "Bad Moral Character"
Hope this information helps individuals who are scheduled for Naturalization Interviews and also a caution for those on GC and who plan to become citizens - take care with your driving.

Best wishes

Thanks for your post rhappy. You got grilled for traffic tickets where other members have simply sailed through. Good luck and hope your waiting gets over with a great news soon.

I'm curious - which district office was so interested in all of this? Did they actually ask for 5 years of tax transcripts at the interview? Did you have any other N-400 issues (lot's of trips, long trips, using the married+3 year rule).

Good luck