Traffic tickets and naturalization (threads merged)

If I get the documentation for the tickets paid from the county,how do I add that info to my N400. Will this delay the process.

Thanks
Vicmac

Vicmac said:
If I get the documentation for the tickets paid from the county,how do I add that info to my N400. Will this delay the process.

Thanks
Vicmac

just bring it with you to the interview and tell the officer that u were not sure if traffic ticket should be included.. blah blah blah

I will be filing N-400 pretty soon and I had a question regarding the traffic tickets.

I have received a few tickets in past 15 years I have been living in USA and unfortunately I did not keep the reocrd for all the tickets. I also checked the DMV sites for the states where I got the tickets and none of the states keep records for more than 7 years, so getting the official record from DMV won't help me.

The question is: how specific do we need to be when providing the ticket info, e.g. date of ticket etc.? or can I mention approximate date on the form e.g. July'92 - speeding ticket - paid fine etc.

Any clarification would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Deer said:
I will be filing N-400 pretty soon and I had a question regarding the traffic tickets.

I have received a few tickets in past 15 years I have been living in USA and unfortunately I did not keep the reocrd for all the tickets. I also checked the DMV sites for the states where I got the tickets and none of the states keep records for more than 7 years, so getting the official record from DMV won't help me.

The question is: how specific do we need to be when providing the ticket info, e.g. date of ticket etc.? or can I mention approximate date on the form e.g. July'92 - speeding ticket - paid fine etc.

Any clarification would be appreciated.

Thanks.

you have to come up the prove of the fine was paid. by the time you could get the prove document, you should find the exact date of your offense.

btw, do you remember which county police office gave you the ticket? you might want to contact that speecific county clerk office to get a copy of your record. i got my ticket records from CO and GA which I got tickets from.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did three things:
1. obtained driving records from all the states where I held driver licenses. Those are clean and don't show the tickets but at least they show that there is nothing outstanding at this time.
2. called and wrote a letter to all the county traffic courts where I had my tickets. From one I was able to obtain a microfisch with my ticket information. For the other one they wrote me a letter that they discarded all information for old tickets.
3. Kept the receipt for a recent ticket I got.

Between the receipt for a recent ticket, dmv record, and information from the courts for two old tickets (over 5 years) you should be OK.

Of course this may be too much and I heard that some officers don't care about evidence for speeding tickets. However, this may shorten the delay in case the officer is very anal.

gcardo said:
I did three things:
1. obtained driving records from all the states where I held driver licenses. Those are clean and don't show the tickets but at least they show that there is nothing outstanding at this time.
2. called and wrote a letter to all the county traffic courts where I had my tickets. From one I was able to obtain a microfisch with my ticket information. For the other one they wrote me a letter that they discarded all information for old tickets.
3. Kept the receipt for a recent ticket I got.

Between the receipt for a recent ticket, dmv record, and information from the courts for two old tickets (over 5 years) you should be OK.

Of course this may be too much and I heard that some officers don't care about evidence for speeding tickets. However, this may shorten the delay in case the officer is very anal.

1) i did the same. checked CA / GA / MI's DMVs where I had my DLs from.
2) Called and wrote to all county record offices (GA / CO) to get a copy. they sent me the computer print screen, and ticket info and payment receipt.
3) going to write the explaination about traffic tickets for interview use.

i guess that is all i could do for my speeding tickets stuff :(

Should we notify abt tickets received before GC

Should we notify about the tickets which received before some one granted GC also ???

Like on H1 if we have couple of tickets, should that info has to be disclosed ???

happy_going said:
Should we notify about the tickets which received before some one granted GC also ???

Like on H1 if we have couple of tickets, should that info has to be disclosed ???

the question from n-400 is...

have you ever...

so, all tickets were given to you by law enforcement officers in United States (not sure you should report the canada or mexico???) count.

yeah theoretically you should report all tickets.
Howver, if you don't report a ticket from 10 years ago I don't think it could ever be an issue.

I would at least reoprt all recent tickets (up to 7 years ago) if you don't want to or don't remember very old tickets.

ocworker, I plan to do that regarding the tickets, tell the officer about it and show the payment receipts.
Anybody else thinks otherwise pl let me know,
Or talk to an immigration attorney about this.

Thanks
Vicmac

Vicmac said:
ocworker, I plan to do that regarding the tickets, tell the officer about it and show the payment receipts.
Anybody else thinks otherwise pl let me know,
Or talk to an immigration attorney about this.

Thanks
Vicmac

i am planning to tell the officer about it and show the payment receipts as well.

best wishes.

Need Info @ traffic Tickets

Hi,

I am applying for N400 and my traffic tickets situation is like this :

OH tickets :
Speeding ticket in Feb 2003
Speeding ticket in Nov 1999
Lane cutting ticket in Aug 1998

IL Ticket:
Parking ticket in 2000 in Chicago , IL

Do I need to mention all these tickets even though few of them are older than 5 years? I tried to get detail report from my DMV but their data shows no tickets. ( Clear Record) Where should I go and get all this information?

Appreciate your input

Can we summarize what is the opinion on traffic tickets?

OK, so much was written on that, so now I am completely lost. I didn't put my traffic tickets (3, 2 of which resulted in traffic school, and the other one was too small. But all of them below $500) on N-400. Now on the interview should I disclose that right away, or only if officer ask me? Where can I find this rule that tickets less than $500 should not be put in N-400? I have all the paperwork that I payed with me.

there has no written documents regarding you should not include the traffic ticket on n400 form if it is less than 500 dollars fine.

the most recent n400 instruction does mention that you do not need to submit the documents / approve for payment for the traffic ticket if the fine is not serious and it is less than 500 dollars.

A N400 applicant should and must disclose any citations on N400 form. (i will leave the other ppl to have some heated discussion because it is waste of time to discuss anymore)

I agree with ocworker ... no further discussion make sense. The N400 asks you to disclose your citations. If you received citations that are traffic citations the N400 Instructions lets you know that you do not have to submit any documentation with your petition if the fines were less than $500. Pay attention to that not having to provide documentation is not the same like not having to disclose a citation. You can still disclose your citations during the interview. They are most unlikely to hurt your petition.

Or you may choose as some suggest to hide, omit or forget the citations alltogether ....

Do what you are more comfortabe with and what is more alike to your personal nature.

The rest will fall in place.

Alex

stoil2 said:
OK, so much was written on that, so now I am completely lost. I didn't put my traffic tickets (3, 2 of which resulted in traffic school, and the other one was too small. But all of them below $500) on N-400. Now on the interview should I disclose that right away, or only if officer ask me? Where can I find this rule that tickets less than $500 should not be put in N-400? I have all the paperwork that I payed with me.

The N-400 instruction has a specific question, something like this:

-"Have you ever been arrested, cited, etc?"...

If you ever been cited you should disclose that...

...of course EVER, technically means from the day when you were born (and if you have recollections from the previous lives you should list those too :D :D :D )...I've never heard of anyone who listed the citation received back in the old country...

About the $500...citations with fines under $500 don't require proof of payment...nobody said they shouldn't be listed.

Yes, what ocworker, Suzy, and AlexanderG have said is exactly correct: You need to list all your traffic tickets. You just do not need to include documentation if they were resolved by paying a fine of less than $500 and/or points on your license.

You find this information in the N-400 Instructions (not the guide, the instructions); do a search for $500, it will take you directly there.

Since you did not list them, when the IO gets to that section in the interview, do provide the information about tickets, and take prrof of payment just in case. It will not hurt and will avoid any delays in case the officer you get cares to see the documentation. Remember, it's up to her/him.

Yes, there is!

ocworker said:
there has no written documents regarding you should not include the traffic ticket on n400 form if it is less than 500 dollars fine.

That is not at all true. The N400 instructions manual clearly states that there is no need to report traffic citations unless it is a case of DUI or the person was jailed.

Can you post that USCIS link or file please for all of us to see?

takadigi said:
That is not at all true. The N400 instructions manual clearly states that there is no need to report traffic citations unless it is a case of DUI or the person was jailed.

OK the general consensus is to mention your traffic tickets on the N400 form, do not submit any documentation if fine < $500 and submit if fine > $500 or DUI.

What happens/how should one handle situation where one has NOT listed any traffic tickets on the N400 form(they were all minor/parking totalling to < $400)? Should one just keep quite about it during the interview and say that you have tickets if officer specifically asks for that question?