• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Tracking GC delivery via USCIS ELIS

I understand that, but why they asking exactly about more then 6 month, and not how long have you been? or more than 12 month?

Because technically after 6 months you are "seeking readmission"....I don't have the time now to look for it but it's on one of the DoS sites. Nevertheless I've never heard an actual case of it being an issue, whereas I have been grilled after less than 6 months absence on one occasion....bottom line is take nothing for granted and always ensure you can demonstrate that you haven't abandoned residency.

Sigh, I thought I deleted a duplicate post but apparently I deleted everything. Anyway that lawyer link above explains well when absences of particular lengths are or aren't problems.

I've never personally heard of anyone absent longer than a year being let in with a warning, I concede that rather than denial the more likely avenue is taking your green card away and making you see an immigration judge to plead your case. It must be dreadful to enter the US without proof of being a LPR and spending your first few weeks or however long till your court date not knowing if you will be kicked out while trying to find a lawyer, gather proof of having maintained ties etc.

Hi, I know that period which you can stay outside US is 12 month, but many people are saying that it is 6 month (maybe they confused with maximum period to stay outside for getting citizenship), and they said that officer at the POE asked them if they were outside US more than 6 month. Why officers are asking such question? Do they need to know about my citizenship plans?
As is evident from the official information provided in the enclosed weblink below, this is not a clear-cut black and white matter, hence it would be advisable to err on the side of caution:
http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/maintaining-permanent-residence

Well, here's the story of someone who was out of the country for 2 years without a re-entry permit who was let in more or less with a "warning" followed by a 'secondary inspection'. She wasn't even referred to an IJ:

http://forums.immigration.com/threa...-no-re-entry-permit-need-testimonials.319725/

(And I've read of so many others also, this is the only one I'm able to reference for now)

The IO at the POE will consider one's travel history/pattern when it comes to boarder line cases like that of staying out for 14 months, for instance. Again, I'm clearly not advocating it is okay for one to be outside of the US for one year or more without a REP. Obviously being sent off to secondary inspection or referred to an IJ (even if you end up convincing the IJ you haven't abandoned your permanent residency) can be traumatic and should be avoided at all cost, it is indeed possible to be let back in with a warning or an appointment with an IJ as against an outright entry denial.

Ok that's interesting, never heard of it happening before much less "many" times. I can certainly find "many" examples on the net of people getting in trouble for this! Good business for immigration lawyers it seems. Definitely not a risk I'd want to take though, I've heard far more of people getting into trouble for doing it. Having been questioned so closely after less than 6 months - at that was at JFK too like the article you linked to - I just think it's dumb risk to take. And I do know someone who got stripped of her green card, trying the "visiting every 5 /1/2 months for two weeks" trick for too long.

Found it eventually :p
And it's not that one is seeking readmission (as I erroneously stated above) but that after 180 days you are treated as seeking new admission again: "LPRs that are out of the U.S. for more than 180 days are subject to new immigrant inspection procedures as per 8 USC 1101."
Nevertheless as I said before other than some grilling I've never heard (not to say it never happens) of someone with one absence of longer than 6 months face anything too severe.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/de...cuments-needed-for-lawful-permanent-residents

Hi,

My status in USCIS changed today to:
"On September 17, 2015, we mailed your new card for Receipt Number IOExxxxxxxxxx, to the address you gave us. If you do not receive your card by October 17, 2015, please to request that we send your new card to you. If you move, to give us your new mailing address."

I was thinking I would receive a USPS tracking number with this notice. From your experience, does this message ever changes to another one with the USPS tracking information, or does the above message indicate that the GC will be delivered shortly but without any tracking info available? If that is true, then how long one usually has to wait after this message (in my case after Sep. 17th)?

Thanks for your help!

Hi guys I have a question I paid the gc fee on sept 2, my poe was sept 7th, I have no way of tracking my green card since they never send me that IOE # ...is there any other way to do that....they changed there system on august 31st you dont have to log in or something like that

Hi guys I have a question I paid the gc fee on sept 2, my poe was sept 7th, I have no way of tracking my green card since they never send me that IOE # ...is there any other way to do that....they changed there system on august 31st you dont have to log in or something like that
IOE #... number you should have got when you pay as I remember

Hi All,
Need some help here.
I paid the immigrant fees on Sept 8th. but at that time I just clicked "Log in" button to pay. I dont remember creating any ELS account at all. How did you guys get this account?
Also I dont remember it showed any IOE number either after the payment.
Im getting worried not able to receive the GC and no way of tracking it.
Thanks.

Do you think if I call USCIS they will give it to me...they change the system you dont have to log in you just pay on Pay.gov and no login ...weird
We are on the same boat.
just clicked log in and pay on pay.gov.
no account created at all and no IOE number.

Hi All,
Need some help here.
I paid the immigrant fees on Sept 8th. but at that time I just clicked "Log in" button to pay. I dont remember creating any ELS account at all. How did you guys get this account?
Thanks.

Follow up with USCIS:

https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/contactus

Hi All,
Need some help here.
Thanks.

Hi, I'm on the same boat too. I made my payment on Sep., 18.
I've just called USCIS, talked with an operator. He told me that anyone who had made the payment after August, 31, 2015 will receive his/her receipt number within 60 days. If a person, who made a payment didn't receive his/her green card by that time he receives a "receipt notice". So, as I understood there's no way we can track our green cards online during 60 days after the payment.

Hi, I'm on the same boat too. I made my payment on Sep., 18.
I've just called USCIS, talked with an operator. He told me that anyone who had made the payment after August, 31, 2015 will receive his/her receipt number within 60 days. If a person, who made a payment didn't receive his/her green card by that time he receives a "receipt notice". So, as I understood there's no way we can track our green cards online during 60 days after the payment.

So this is a new system/process to pay the immigrant fees?
So, we should expect to receive the receipt number and GC within 60 days? if not, we receive a "receipt notice" instead?
am I understanding this correct?

and even the customer service representative can't check our status in the system in any other ways? thats ridiculous. basically if we didn't receive GC, then the 165 bucks were gone.