• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Tracking GC delivery via USCIS ELIS

1 (800) 375-5283
Thanks again mom
I tried calling but will have to wait until later tonight aus time as they are closed.

It's very strange that they didn't deliver the other cards... We did update our address at Poe. Maybe they only updated one application. I hope they get this sorted without additional card making costs etc. I heard it's like $700 to replace a lost card :(

Thanks again mom
I tried calling but will have to wait until later tonight aus time as they are closed.

It's very strange that they didn't deliver the other cards... We did update our address at Poe. Maybe they only updated one application. I hope they get this sorted without additional card making costs etc. I heard it's like $700 to replace a lost card :(

If it's their error (or a USPS error) you won't pay.

Thanks again mom

Oh yeah, that could possibly be what happened. Yours was delivered to your new address while the others got sent to the previous address - the IOs at the POE sometimes fail to update all the cases with a new address when the change is initiated. You'll think they'll be smart enough to know it should apply to all.

Thank you susie, that's good to know!
And mom, lol I would hope they were smart enough to do that thanks again

Ok so after calling the 1800 number, they put me through to an automated call back service that wanted to phone me on a weird number that wasn't mine! After I couldn't enter my actual phone number successfully, it hung up on me lol.

Anyway, I got through to someone who was very helpful and has sent a request to have the other cards posted out. I am al little suspicious of how reliable the system works after getting no reason as to why one card was sent and the others returned. Very strange.

Can anyone advise on the following: the stamps in our passports expire in July 2016. How can I enter the states after the stamp expires if I don't have the physical green cards with me? We plan to be there around July but it may be later. ty

Ok so after calling the 1800 number, they put me through to an automated call back service that wanted to phone me on a weird number that wasn't mine! After I couldn't enter my actual phone number successfully, it hung up on me lol.

Anyway, I got through to someone who was very helpful and has sent a request to have the other cards posted out. I am al little suspicious of how reliable the system works after getting no reason as to why one card was sent and the others returned. Very strange.

Can anyone advise on the following: the stamps in our passports expire in July 2016. How can I enter the states after the stamp expires if I don't have the physical green cards with me? We plan to be there around July but it may be later. ty

You will need the plastic GC following the expiration of the I-551 on your passport to re-enter the U.S. So you need to ensure you get the cards before the stamps expire.

I'm not clear on your exact timelines of entry and exit, but remember that irrespective of stamps or green cards, if you are out of the U.S. for 12 months or longer you are presumed to have abandoned residence and will lose your green cards (unless you got a re-entry permit)
....I assume you know this but it's not entirely clear from what you posted so I am following the "better safe than sorry" approach ;)

Hello everyone,
I'm new here and i was hoping someone could help with my case.

I moved to the US last week on an Immigrant Visa. I paid for the GC in May whilst still in my country. I checked for my case status on the elis(dot)uscis(dot)dhs(dot)gov/wps/myportal/eportal portal and it reads optimized. However, i entered my receipt ID on the egov(dot)uscis(dot)gov/casestatus/mycasestatus(dot)do page and it says my receipt ID is not recognized. Should i be worried?

NB: I cannot post a link before my 5th post, hence my using (dot) in place of "."

Hello everyone,
I'm new here and i was hoping someone could help with my case.

I moved to the US last week on an Immigrant Visa. I paid for the GC in May whilst still in my country. I checked for my case status on the elis(dot)uscis(dot)dhs(dot)gov/wps/myportal/eportal portal and it reads optimized. However, i entered my receipt ID on the egov(dot)uscis(dot)gov/casestatus/mycasestatus(dot)do page and it says my receipt ID is not recognized. Should i be worried?

NB: I cannot post a link before my 5th post, hence my using (dot) in place of "."

Please read this:

http://forums.immigration.com/threads/tracking-gc-delivery-via-uscis-elis.317222/page-5#post-2386909

Thank you @SusieQQQ
Are they very strict with the "abandoning green card" 12 month time frame?
We activated mid July this year and do plan to be relocated by end of May (decided to make it may) to be safe but if we end up going in say September, will we be straight up refused entry and not allowed to move etc?
Re the re-entry permit, is it correct to believe that all gc holders that need/want the permit need to be in the usa to apply for re-entry and it can take a few weeks to be approved as there is biometric testing etc.

I am sure we will be sorted, just want to go over plan B

Last edited:
Thank you @SusieQQQ
We activated mid July this year and do plan to be relocated by end of May (decided to make it may) to be safe but if we end up going in say September, will we be straight up refused entry and not allowed to move etc?
Re the re-entry permit, is it correct to believe that all gc holders that need/want the permit need to be in the usa to apply for re-entry and it can take a few weeks to be approved as there is biometric testing etc.

Yes to both questions.

Thank you @SusieQQQ

In the scenario you've described one of two things could happen: They could either let you in with a very strong warning and make a note against your name in their database; or they let you in and keep your plastic GC and refer you to an immigration judge to plead your case/to explain why you shouldn't be deemed to have abandoned residency.

In the scenario you've described one of two things could happen: They could either let you in with a very strong warning and make a note against your name in their database; or they let you in and keep your plastic GC and refer you to an immigration judge to plead your case/to explain why you shouldn't be deemed to have abandoned residency.

They are talking about well past 12 months (14 months, not just a day or two) - I'd be surprised if they just get a warning tbh. And should be highlighted that proving you haven't abandoned residency includes things like showing maintaining homes and filing tax returns. It's also worth mentioning they can deem you to have abandoned residence even with an absence of less than a year.

This just really isn't a risk anyone serious about keeping their green card should be taking - it's not a "Plan B" as cj27 suggested imo, it's a gamble. Plan B is a re-entry permit.

Hi, I know that period which you can stay outside US is 12 month, but many people are saying that it is 6 month (maybe they confused with maximum period to stay outside for getting citizenship), and they said that officer at the POE asked them if they were outside US more than 6 month. Why officers are asking such question? Do they need to know about my citizenship plans?

They are talking about well past 12 months (14 months, not just a day or two) - I'd be surprised if they just get a warning tbh. And should be highlighted that proving you haven't abandoned residency includes things like showing maintaining homes and filing tax returns. It's also worth mentioning they can deem you to have abandoned residence even with an absence of less than a year.

This just really isn't a risk anyone serious about keeping their green card should be taking - it's not a "Plan B" as cj27 suggested imo, it's a gamble. Plan B is a re-entry permit.

Yes, I am aware of the fact that he's talking of an absence of about 14 months, and I'm strongly convinced of the fact that the possibility of either being allowed in with a stern warning (which will include a note on one's passport and their database), or the GC being taken away and being told to go face an IJ are much more higher than an outright entry denial, in view of the fact that he's a new immigrant.

And I'm obviously not encouraging new immigrants to take the possibility of a re-admission following a long absence without a re-entry permit for granted. It's not a gamble I would take either, simply clarifying the fact that an absence of slightly over 1 year doesn't always result in an automatic denial at the POE.

Hi, I know that period which you can stay outside US is 12 month, but many people are saying that it is 6 month (maybe they confused with maximum period to stay outside for getting citizenship), and they said that officer at the POE asked them if they were outside US more than 6 month. Why officers are asking such question? Do they need to know about my citizenship plans?

Even if one was out for less than 6 months, the IOs have the right to ask how long one was out of the country for.

Even if one was out for less than 6 months, the IOs have the right to ask how long one was out of the country for.
I understand that, but why they asking exactly about more then 6 month, and not how long have you been? or more than 12 month?