All were at YYZ. While I think it depends sometimes on the agent (giving 1 vs requested 3 years for no specific reason), it's still largely how strong the application is that matters.

Update: Called the deferred inpsection site and the same I94 was updated over the phone. Easier than I imagined.

It's disturbing to hear this trend of agents giving 1-year TNs when the applications being presented are asking for 3-year permits.

Indeed. It is tough at airport to put up a fight and get the 3-year, because of time, but there is no regulation which supports this.
This also shows that all your docs get into the system quite quickly, so you can ask for deferred soon after "error" was made.

Hello all,

I recently applied for my TN visa at the Blaine POE with my application. My company had Fragomen fill out all the details for the application. I went to apply yesterday on Sept. 24th and was rejected. The role I'll be taking at the company is called Software Engineer and the one on the letter says Developer with the NAFTA category as Computer Systems Analyst. The officer rejected denied my application based with two items:
  1. If I'm going in as an engineer then I need an engineering degree. (Almost all software engineers have a computer science degree, didn't think he understood what I was trying to say)
  2. Developer does not fit under the NAFTA occupation of Computer Systems Analyst
He also marked up my Visa letter quite a bit with some key words which I've attached. What should I do going forward to adjust this TN application?

IMHO all those duties underlined should not be part of a CSA's duties. CSA works with IT Infrastructure to put it bluntly, CSA is not a sorftware developer of Business Analyst, and no - CSA's dont do any coding, they work with getting the most productivity out of physical hardware.

If you are a Hardware professional, then get Fragomen to draft the letter properly, don't let them write software jagon like "Agile developement", theres no such thing in Hardware.