TN through uncle's company

Broth

Registered Users (C)
Hello everyone, I am glad I found this thread! I am new at applying for TN Visa. I have few questions and some might raise your eyebrows, but here is it.

I've met someone in USA when I was traveling and it's been over a year now. We've been visiting each other a lot and we decided to live together and I will move to USA. I tried finding a job there but not going so well. Employers asking for my Social Security number, but I don't have one.

I have some family members in same state and I thought maybe I can ask my uncle to give me offer letter, so I can get a TN visa and Social Security number and look for a real job. My uncle have a small company, employs about 10-12 people. I have an accounting degree so I will just ask him to write some sort of accounting job.

My question is: Will I somehow put my uncle's business in trouble? Will they check his company whether he is actually employing me? My plan is to get the TN this way (and get the Social Security Number) and look for a job for about 5-6 months, if I am not successful then I will then cancel my TN.

Broth

This is called "immigration fraud", and its a great way to get yourself deported and bared from entering the US for life.

:confused:

Instead of going through with this charade with your uncle, why not do what normal TN eligible Canadians do. Apply for jobs and educate your employer about TN status and get sponsored properly.

Or if this American person you want to live with is of the opposite sex, get married.

What everyone is saying is correct. If you're intelligent enough to have a real accounting degree, then you should be intelligent enough to:

A) Research the requirements for a TN and see how you REALLY get one.

B) Once you figure it out, then apply for positions with your qualifications. YOU need to get educated on the TN before you can educate the employer.

If you go and do it your way, you will just end up with a lot of heart ache and find yourself in an illegal position. In addition to this, if your "love affair" tanks, you will find yourself in a worse position.

Thanks for comments. Surpricingly got a call today from this Recruiting firm. I was invited to attend interview next Monday. I know that this recruiter is also very big Recruiting firm in Canada. I think about 5-6 years ago I got this temp job through them, when I was in school. But I guess that is irralevant. By any chance, can they employ me in USA and pay me in Canada in CAD$$? So we don't have to go through all this TN situation?

They actually asked me to bring my Social Security Number, 2 ID, 3 references, resume etc. So I am assuming same thing will happen (no SSN no employment). Can I just give my Canadian Social Insurance number? So what should I tell them? should I say I am Canadian Citizen, I have to drive up to the border to get TN status that will allow me to work. I need offer letter stating the period of employment, title, salary and job description?

How do I word them so I don't get pushed away?

Thanks all

By any chance, can they employ me in USA and pay me in Canada in CAD$$? So we don't have to go through all this TN situation?
The manner in which you are paid is not important; you NEED a status to work in US.

Get offer -> get TN -> get SSN.

Even if you have a social security number doesn't mean you can work for any employer in US. Say if you get a TN through your uncle's company and then you get an offer from another company, you still have to drive up to the border to reapply for another TN. A TN will only allow you to work for one employer. It is irrelevant whether you have a SSN or not. Since you have an accounting degree, you are eligible to work as an accountant in US on TN status. So as everyone mentioned, look for a job that's on TN's occupation list (in your case, should be accoutant.), get the offer, apply for TN at the US port of entry, and then join your bf/gf in US and work there.

however, before you do all of above, you should really seriously educate yourself on immigration fraud and the consequence as well as TN policies. I'm a bit suprised you even asked this kinda question to begin with.

Last edited by a moderator:
You sound absolutely determined to do everything the wrong way. Why are we wasting our time.

This is called "immigration fraud", and its a great way to get yourself deported and bared from entering the US for life.

There is a thin line here between fraudulent and not. If they discover this is your family, they may ask your uncle to fill out an Affidavit of Support. I have heard of this in other TN cases sponsored by family businesses, and they didn't let it slide with a simple I-134 but rather insisted on the full I-864 (which is a much bigger headache by the way)

The way I see it, those against it are being too self-righteous.

Simply get your uncle's company to hire you (no need to elaborate who the shareholders are). This is an american company looking to hire, and you are the desired candidate -- simple. That said, you still have to meet all the initial requirements of getting a TN i.e. acct/finance degree, transcript in acct courses, willing employer etc. The only cool thing with your situation is that you do not have to interview "as hard" as everyone else on this TN sub-forum ::mad::

FYI...should you not desire to work at that company anymore, you will have to go thru the same TN application process (that is after interviewing and actually competing against other candidates), and hope that the "new" not-your-uncle's-company-anymore is willing to do a TN letter for you.

I'd say, go for it...whatever gives you equal footing in America....

Last edited by a moderator:
The way I see it, those against it are being too self-righteous.

Nonsense. If he's seeking the TN to legitimately work for the uncle, then fine. But it appears to be merely a way to get into the US, get an SSN and search for a job. That's immigration fraud, and makes all TNs that much more scrutinized.

There's nothing bad or self-righteous about wanting to stop fraud, especially since if detected the consequences for the alien (and potentially his uncle) will be dire.

There's nothing bad or self-righteous about wanting to stop fraud, especially since if detected the consequences for the alien (and potentially his uncle) will be dire.

The way I look at it is this: The OP may not fully understand the process getting a TN, and that's why he is here. What he does AFTER getting a SSN & his @$$ into US, is his own biding.

He could continue being legit or go undercover, and all of us standing by the sidelines cannot do anything...soooooo, I prefer to point him the right way, and I keep on moving.

Remember that the TN application process is not 100% match on all applicants, we all try to "fine-tune" our job descriptions to make them palatable to the Officer, whereas we only fit into the tight requirements about 70%....so what's the problem with the OP making it work for him, just because his uncle owns the company?...Remember, let he without sin, cast the first stone...

To the OP, if u can get a TN, good for you, but remember, your SSN card will be labelled "NOT VALID WITHOUT DHS AUTHORISATION", which means everytime you present it to an employer, it results in a red flag for e-verify, and also, your US D/L will most likely expire @ the same time your TN expires...so dreams of going undercover may be shortlived.

In summary, get a TN, work, get another job, get another TN, and chase the american dream (nightmare:confused:) just like everybody else who left Canada

Lookit. Getting his uncle to sponsor him, even for one to work a single day legitimately, is sufficient to get a TN and an SSN. No problem with that.

But to flat out imply that he will never work for his uncle is stupid. Stupid for him, and stupid for his uncle.

what about his uncle act like a recruiting company.

He will send the bill to the client from his uncle's company and his uncle's company will get paid first and then he will get paid from his uncles company's payroll.

I think that will make it completely legal.

Let me know I over-thought. :)

Of course he needs to find clients. If he find clients, he doesn't need his uncle, he gets further TNs through the clients.

TNDV2008

It's only a the American "nightmare" where certain adoptees get left out buy their adopters :D