TN Expires March - Can I renew now at POE

malemay

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

My TN expires March 17 2009. I need to get a valid TN visa soon for some personal reasons. Can I go at a POE let's say, this week-end or next to ask for a new, 3 years, TN Visa ??

Also my HR downloaded a document that explains what document we should bring at the border. My first letter wasn't good, but the officer was in a good mood I guess since she give it to me. Anyways.. that document says it's should be a letter from the employer to me, and one from the employer to the officer.

Is that right ?

Thanks

Marc

POE or PFI usually won't grant a TN more than 2 weeks before the start date.

As simsd mentioned, you can mail in an "Extension of Stay" up to 6 months prior to your next start date. If you want quick processing, consider Premium Processing. I did, and mine was processed in 3 days of receipt.

The letter should be addressed to the the Department of Homeland Security, Customs and Border Protection. Although, given the naivety of your question, I would recommend more research before you attempt your next TN.

This site has a comprehensive package: http://www.tnvisaexpert.com/

Al

You're right, I almost didn't get my first TN because I was planning to leave Canada 2 weeks after. But I got lucky.

It's seems easier for me to go to a POE, same expenses as the premium cost around 1000$. Actually, the lawyer that works for my company on the immigration stuff suggest that it would be a good option to renew at a POE (YUL actually)

Unless the officer is really in a bad mood. I've got all I need, I've got a Degree in Mechanical eng...is't not like I'm trying to as a programmer. I've got letters with the only 4 infos they need to see.

I understand that the mail might be safer.. but why ?? it's processed by a person.

What about Online.. it's the first time I heard of it ??

Thanks for the help.

MA

Mail-ins are for those who aren't going to the border at or near the time when their TN expires.

Otherwise, border is simpler, faster, cheaper. Many Tners have experienced problems at the border however. This is typically for those in the risky ctaegories (ie. the ones where eother a degree is not needed or is ill-fiting).

But don't let that stop you. An engineer applying for an engineering TN with an engineering degree should just go to the border. Most Tners have no problems. They are the silent majority that don't post on these boards.

The fact that my TN expires in 2 months... Can that be an issue ?

By the way... Any one knows good people to do Tax report for Canada AND US ?? This first year will be more complicated than usuall !!

Thanks again
MA

Actually I'm flighing to Montreal this week-end and I have all my papers to request a new TN.

You won't get it. You are about 6 weeks early.

You will try of course, but just don't expect new TN.

I'm back from the cold North Montreal. For those that said don't do it, or you won't get it. You probably expect me to say, oups, you were right.

Nahhh... Here's what happened.

I walk to the first Custom officer and told him I wanted to applied for a new TN visa for me, and TD for my wife.
Q from the officer: Why are asking for a new one, yours is still valid for 2 months.
A: I got a new offer for a 3 year contract.

With no more questions, he then took my finger prints, picture and did the same for my wife. He told us to follow him, some will take care of us.

After 10 minutes, another offcier called us in his office.
Q: What is the purpose of your trip today?
A: Ask for a TN Visa

Q: what's your job ?
A: Mechnical Engineer.

Q: Do you have your document.
A: Yes.. I gave him a file with 2 letters from my company, Diploma, mariage certificat..

He took a good 5 minutes to read the first that was addressed to him, and looked at the other document quickly.

I told us to fill those papers (I-94 forms), while he was making copies of the original documents.

He added the form to our passport and we paid 50$.

So yes, I got my 3 year TN visa in about 20 minutes (15 minutes of waiting, 3 questions, and 50$).

Maybe I was lucky, but I think if you got the right document and you go by the rules, getting a TN is simple.

Good luck for all of you who wants to get a TN.

Congrats! Was the new TN for the same employer and the same job?

What I didn't understand was why you got fingerprinted?!!! What's that all about if you don't mind me asking?! I just crossed the border a few weeks ago and didn't get fingerprinted!

Since January 18th, 2009.
Oh yeah! You are right. Here it is:

http://www.dhs.gov/xtrvlsec/programs/gc_1231972592442.shtm

It now also includes green-cardholders!

"Effective January 18, 2009, the following additional non-U.S. citizens will be required to provide biometrics when entering or re-entering the United States:

Lawful permanent residents of the United States (LPRs);
Persons entering the United States who seek admission on immigrant visas;
Persons entering the United States who seek admission as refugees and asylees;
Canadian citizens who are currently required to obtain a Form I-94 (Arrival-Departure Record) upon entry or who require a waiver of inadmissibility to enter the United States (this excludes most Canadian citizens entering the United States for purposes of shopping, visiting friends and family, vacation or short business trips);
"

The job was for the same employer. They didn't ask me about this, but it was clear in my letters who was my employer. I guess they don't care.

am I suppose to get a I-797 or something like this ?? I heard about this form but don't know what it is really !!

US-VISIT. They're fingerprinting everyone who gets an I-94.

Its interesting that a Cdn citizen coming in undocumented B1/B2 comes in with no record, no tracking, nothing.

A Cdn LPR, fully allowed to live in US without hindrance, gets fingerprinted.

Great job DHS.

Morons.