TN Expires March - Can I renew now at POE

Malemay;

I think you were fortunate to get your TN because most who have tried with more than 2-3 weeks left on their current TN, have been met with rejection. Your response it the CPB's questions were very reasonable, and you lucked out with a reasonable CPB Officer. He could have just as easily told you to come back in 2 months, and been well within his jurisdiction to do so.

Celebrate your good luck but remember this is not the norm, and even more so with the heightened protectionist sentiment spreading throughout this country.

Al

I don't see why I was too early. I don't recall reading about this 2-3 weeks before it ends. If there's a rule\law, I really would like to see it.

I read once that getting a TN at the border is like applying for a new one.. not an extension. Anyways.. next time I'll do mail, if I don't get the H1B or GC before that.

Did you get this kind of problems Alta !!

MA

I don't see why I was too early. I don't recall reading about this 2-3 weeks before it ends. If there's a rule\law, I really would like to see it.

I read once that getting a TN at the border is like applying for a new one.. not an extension. Anyways.. next time I'll do mail, if I don't get the H1B or GC before that.

Did you get this kind of problems Alta !!

MA

TN's are only good for a year (or 3 now if that's been passes). So you always get a new TN. You extend your status by the mail in of your current TN until your new TN comes in the mail. People just use that term "renew" as it seems easier to say since they are at the same job. Some border guards have been known to correct people when they say they are there to "renew", like in my case years back at YYZ airport.

There is no official rule that I know of that states when you can get a new TN at the border, however, yes they will turn you back if it's not within a few week time frame. One of my friends who lives in Windsor and has been working in Detroit for years had an issue a few years back applying for his new TN 2 weeks in advance. They were pretty rude and finally told him to do it a few days before it expires. So it's pretty standard to be turned back...

I am currently on my 10th TN with the same employer in Detroit MI. Because I cross the border everyday from Windsor Ont. it is very easy for me and my coworkers to go in and request our new TN’s. We just do it on our drive into work in the mornings.

I always prefer to go in 2 to 3 days before my TN expires to get my TN, just in case they require me to bring some other document that I do not have or they require me to reword my offer letter etc., which has happened 3 or 4 times, especially in the beginning.

However, one of my coworkers (we have had 10 Canadians commuting from Windsor and working here at one point) likes to let his TN expire and then goes in the next business day to get his new TN. If his TN expires at the end of a work week, he’ll wait till the following Monday to go in. He’ll go as far as taking a vacation day off of work on a Friday, if his TN expires on a Thursday. This way he says he ‘gains’ days whereas he always says I ‘lose’ days! Anyhow, it won’t matter now as we can receive 3 year TN’s.

I had the same experience as others here. Quite a few years ago I was chastised by a border officer. I was asked what I was doing here today and I replied that I was here to renew my TN Visa. Wrong answer. He proceeded for the next 5 minutes to inform me that it’s NOT a Visa it’s a ‘work permit’ and that I am NOT renewing but that I am applying for a NEW TN. I took the lecture and got my TN and went on my merry way. So now when I go in and they ask what I am doing here I reply that ‘I’m here for a TN’.

Marc,

We don't pull answers out of our asses. When we cautioned that you might not get your new TN (yes, yes, we all know its a new TN), we were basing this on previous experience reported here and elsewhere.

Your experience is merely another data point. It does not mean that we will stop cautionning those renewing TN that it is unlikley that they will get TN more than 2-3 weeks before their current one expires.

It is possible, as I said earlier, that the new TN duration may be be making the decision when to renew a little more flexible, both in the mind of the employee and the CBP officer.

I had the same experience as others here. Quite a few years ago I was chastised by a border officer. I was asked what I was doing here today and I replied that I was here to renew my TN Visa. Wrong answer. He proceeded for the next 5 minutes to inform me that it’s NOT a Visa it’s a ‘work permit’ and that I am NOT renewing but that I am applying for a NEW TN. I took the lecture and got my TN and went on my merry way. So now when I go in and they ask what I am doing here I reply that ‘I’m here for a TN’.

I forgot, I had this happen to me too. The border guard at least was nice about it but did inform me that there is no such thing as a TN visa. He then asked me if I would like to apply for a new TN which I said yes. He mentioned this is what I should ask for, not a visa and not renewing it...