TN CHANGE OF EMPLOYER

There is no problem going out of the country go get TN, "European" or not; do as you have done in the past. I-129s have to be signed by employer, but you can fill it out, but why bother, just go to border.

Hi I am planning to change employer while on my 1st TN and I have a question regarding the form I-129. In reading the instruction it looks like this will be filled by my new employer? Also once it gets approved, do I automatically lose my 1st TN? (want to know as if possible it'd be nice to give notice). I am Canadian if that makes any difference.

The safest way for you, if they are filing I-129, is to ask the new employer, as a courtesy to you and your current employer, to request option "d: New concurrent employment". Then, when you get your second TN, you can transition more smoothly to your new job. (Remember that notice of leaving is never mandatory). You could mention that you are sure that they would appreciate the same courtesy if you were leaving them.
Otherwise, as you suspect, the moment the I-129 is received by your new employer, your old TN is invalid for work, with no notice.

If for some reason they insist on using "Change of Employer" (usually an uninformed lawyer is involved), the best you will be able to do is monitor the USCIS website for the status of your petition, and notify your old employer as soon as you know the new TN has been approved. That would give you a few days while it is being delivered.

I trust they are doing premium processing?

The simplest way, would be to go to the border, get a second TN (keeping the first).

Last edited:
Great thanks for the reply, appreciate it! (Going to the border is a big waste of time/money and I hate doing the dog/pony show for the border services)

Hi I have a question:
I came here with a turist visa and then changed status for a TN visa. I don't have a stamp on my passport. Today I have a new job offer and I don't know how to switch jobs. I understand that if I fly out of the country and I don't have a stamp (because is just "status") I cannot come back to the USA and I would have to reapply for a visa. So, should I file a new form by mail with the new company or should I just quit the old company and apply for a new visa from Mexico? Does this make sense?

You can get a second TN by applying at the border, or submitting an I-129 like you did the first time. Your new employer would have to file the I-129 with Premium processing in order to start soon. Employer would ask for new concurrent employment (see below)

If you go to the border, you would need to first go to a US consulate and secure a TN visa before entering. yOu would keep your first TN (see below).

In EITHER case, you should NEVER quit your first TN job without FIRST obtaining the second TN. Once you have obtained it, you can then quit of give notice, or even keep on working for the first employer. You are permitted to have more than one TN sponsor.

You can get a second TN by applying at the border, or submitting an I-129 like you did the first time. Your new employer would have to file the I-129 with Premium processing in order to start soon.

If you go to the border, you would need to first go to a US consulate and secure a TN visa before entering.

In EITHER case, you should NEVER quit your first job without FIRST obtaining the second TN. Once you have obtained it, you can then quit of give notice, or even keep on working for the first employer.

Thanks so much for such a fast response! I appreciate it a lot!

You can get a second TN by applying at the border, or submitting an I-129 like you did the first time. Your new employer would have to file the I-129 with Premium processing in order to start soon. Employer would ask for new concurrent employment (see below)

If you go to the border, you would need to first go to a US consulate and secure a TN visa before entering. yOu would keep your first TN (see below).

In EITHER case, you should NEVER quit your first TN job without FIRST obtaining the second TN. Once you have obtained it, you can then quit of give notice, or even keep on working for the first employer. You are permitted to have more than one TN sponsor.

Hi Nelsona, I was wondering if I'm on a TN from company A and get my 2nd TN from company B, will the immigration office notify the company A that I got another TN visa from company B? The reason I'm asking this question is that I'm currently hired by company A, but not on a project, so I'm not getting paid until I get on a new project.

Hi everyone,
I have a simple question : will my first employer know that I canceled the TN associated to them ? or I need to tell them ?
I am also moving to a second job but I didn't apply yet to the second TN.
Thanks

You don't need to cancel a TN. By not showing up, they will know that you aren't working for them anymore.
You MUST get a TN for every employer/sponsor you work for .

Dear all,
[1] I'm a Canadian, have been working under TN with Company A for 2.5 years.
[2] I just got an offer from Company B, and went to Vancouver border to get TN for Company B last week.
[3]
However, the other Company C that I have been interviewing with just gave me the offer this week. Company C is the dream Company and dream Job I always wanted, but I thought I wasn't going to get it, and now I got it.
Is it crazy if I go to border again, and update my employer to Company C? Obtain the TN for Company C? Will that be an issue or too risky to change TN twice within 1 month?
Thank you so much for any advices.

There is no problem with what you are doing. CBP doesn;t care how many TNs you go for, as long as you always have a TN for your current sponsor(s).

BTW, I usually go to the port of entry at Vancouver border to renew my TN visa on weekdays previously, does anyone know if I can go on weekends, such as Saturday? Thank you.

Dear all,
I'm trying to find a lawyer to help me modify the support letter for my TN visa, since I'm planning to change my job to a different title.
Any recommendations ?

HI All,
I went to blaine washington to get a new TN for a new job offer i got. I was able to do a u-turn at canadian border to usa without any issue.
I got a TN after waiting for several hours and explaining to the agents why the last agent didn't staple a white paper showing my current employer etc.
I eventually got the new TN visa but the agent ripped off all other white slips in the passport.
My question is if i don't join the new company for each i got the TN, can i keep working on my existing company TN till june next year ?
How do i know the agent didn't invalidate all my existing TN visas while giving this new one?
Should i notify UCIS about not joining the new company and keep my existing job?
Where do border people enter the current company data? Can i have access to it?