TN Change of employer (Mexican)

Hi Anna,

Thanks a lot for your response. I have already called a lawyer and all you are saying is totally true. I am actually planning to travel by plane into Houston International airport. This procedure that you say can be made at any port of entry in the United States.

I should be fine if I am traveling by plane and I finish the process of changing employers at the airport.

Thanks again and of course I will take with me all the requested documents for this change of employers.

Happy new 2021 !!

Hi Carlosmundial, was it possible for you to do the change? I am in the same boat, I want to change employers in Houston.

Hi Carlosmundial, was it possible for you to do the change? I am in the same boat, I want to change employers in Houston.
Hi Mayra,

Houston totally failed. They had no idea about changing employers like that.I am going to California right now. I have been calling those numbers with no luck.

Wish my luck in California and I will let you know.

Hi Mayra,

Houston totally failed. They had no idea about changing employers like that.I am going to California right now. I have been calling those numbers with no luck.

Oh no! I called the POE in Del Rio, TX, they actually knew about the process just advised me to stop by the office before actually exiting the country. I just wanted to travel by plane instead of having to drive.

Does anyone know if POE in Dallas, TX is more open? I would also like to try this via.
Or perhaps, if someone knows if it works for the POE at El Paso, TX

Hi Aircraft,
I'm mexican too working with a TN in California, I changed of employer on april when I received a better job offer. I applied for my TN visa in February with the company I came to work for in the beginning, when I received the Job Offer for the new company I didn't want it to do all the process of the TN Visa at the Consulate, so I went to the POE on San Diego one Friday and request a change of employer with the new employer letter and all my papers. They gave me a new I-94 and that's it the next week I started working where I am now. I just pay 6 dollars for the permit. So I have my TN Visa of my previous job but a new I-94. At the end your I-94 is your authorization for work and your TN Visa Stamp in your passport is the one that give you the authorization to enter to the United States. Probably they are going to issue your I-94 for the time left in your TN, thats what they do with mine, so in February I need to go to Mexico and get a new TN Visa, so probably you are still going to need back to Mexico unless they issue your I-94 for more time than your TN Expire date.
Hola Ivan! Como estas? Can you please tell me which POE did you go to? I will need to do the same this week. Also, what time where you there that Friday? Thanks a lot!!

Hi Mayra,

Hi Carlos, did you end up getting your TN visa approved at California? I am on the same boat and planning to drive there this weekend since I am in the OC area.

You MUST go to the border POE to renew TN, or fly INTO US. you cannot go to a local office.

Hi! I did. I went to San Isidro and payed 6 USD. Before crossing, from the US side I asked to speak with an officer and explained what I wanted to do. She listened to me and told me I had to cross back to Mexico (walking and doing a U turn) so I did. I went back, reached Mexico and I entered the yellow house (before getting in line in immigration) and asked for my change of employer. They did only grant me my I-94 until the original visa expired but well I managed to not fly back to any consulate or embassy in Mexico for the time being so I am happy with the results.

i did my research as well and looked in YouTube and gladly I found a guy that took video of the whole walking experience so look for them!
Good luck!

Hi! I did. I went to San Isidro and payed 6 USD. Before crossing, from the US side I asked to speak with an officer and explained what I wanted to do. She listened to me and told me I had to cross back to Mexico (walking and doing a U turn) so I did. I went back, reached Mexico and I entered the yellow house (before getting in line in immigration) and asked for my change of employer. They did only grant me my I-94 until the original visa expired but well I managed to not fly back to any consulate or embassy in Mexico for the time being so I am happy with the results.

i did my research as well and looked in YouTube and gladly I found a guy that took video of the whole walking experience so look for them!
Good luck!
Hi, I am in a similar situation, my current employer is selling the company and will need a change of employer even if will keep my old job, but the company name will be different and I just renewed my visa in Nov-21. Could you please share those youtube videos?

Thank you

Hi, I am in a similar situation, my current employer is selling the company and will need a change of employer even if will keep my old job, but the company name will be different and I just renewed my visa in Nov-21. Could you please share those youtube videos?

Thank you
Hola German,

Sure!

I recommend you go if possible during a weekday and if not, earlier on a Saturday.

Hola Ivan! Como estas? Can you please tell me which POE did you go to? I will need to do the same this week. Also, what time where you there that Friday? Thanks a lot!!
Hola @pfmarin23 . I apologize, I just noticed this comment in my email and notifications. I'm glad you were able to do your change of employer. Thankfully officers in the San Diego border know about the process and don't have to explain a lot to them. I actually change of employer a month ago in San Ysidro and gave it to me for 2 years (my passport expires in 2023) and my TN expires in February 2022.

@GermanV I recommend you to prepare for a lot of waiting time because of the holidays unless you have a Sentri card, this border is known for having a lot of waiting time in car and the pedestrians POE it all depends on the time you go to the border. In the PedWest border you don't need to cross to Mexico to request the change of employer but unfortunately this POE is closed at this time so you will have to go to San Ysidro like pfmarin23 told you.
Good luck!

Hola @pfmarin23 . I apologize, I just noticed this comment in my email and notifications. I'm glad you were able to do your change of employer. Thankfully officers in the San Diego border know about the process and don't have to explain a lot to them. I actually change of employer a month ago in San Ysidro and gave it to me for 2 years (my passport expires in 2023) and my TN expires in February 2022.

@GermanV I recommend you to prepare for a lot of waiting time because of the holidays unless you have a Sentri card, this border is known for having a lot of waiting time in car and the pedestrians POE it all depends on the time you go to the border. In the PedWest border you don't need to cross to Mexico to request the change of employer but unfortunately this POE is closed at this time so you will have to go to San Ysidro like pfmarin23 told you.
Good luck!
Gracias por el dato Ivan, voy a averiguar en Nogales Az para empezar, es lo que me queda mas cerca, pero como mencionan muchos, pareciera que no tienen instrucciones uniformes. Gracias de nuevo.

Hello,
I am currently on the second year of my TN Visa, living in Miami and just received an offer to switch jobs staying in Miami. My current i-94 expires in Jan 2023 and my i -797 TN approval notice gave me permission to work until Sep 2023. I have read that it is possible to change employer at a POE, particularly that San Diego/Tijuana is a great location to do it.
I am trying to avoid a time consuming and complicated admin process with my employer by doing the change through a POE instead of filling an I-129, but I want to be 100% sure this way works. I spoke to an immigration attorney who told me changing employer at the POE was only for Canadiens, so I'm a bit confused.

1. Can I request the change of employer for myself, my wife and daughter at the same time? Do they need to be present?
2. If I am able to change the employer, could I ask for the i-94 to expire until Sep 2023 (the time I was approved)?
3. What are the documents I need to take with me for myself and my dependents?

Hello @ivantmj can you give the location? because i went to san ysidro and the officer don't know about that. please
Hello! i want to know if the CBP gave you some paper to show the new employer that they already changed of employer or where we can search this prove, en case del employer ask us to show the visa where is still the other employer name. Hope somebody can help. The lawyers say is not possible for mexicans only for canadians citizen.

Hello! i want to know if the CBP gave you some paper to show the new employer that they already changed of employer or where we can search this prove, en case del employer ask us to show the visa where is still the other employer name. Hope somebody can help. The lawyers say is not possible for mexicans only for canadians citizen.
When you do a change of employer at the POE you get a new I94 (small piece of paper with a the new company name at the back) but your visa does not change, they do not update it or stamp a new one, it stays with the previous employer's name. Hope it helps!

Good luck!
No worries Ivan! Thank you!!!