TN Change of employer (Mexican)

aircraft24

Hi everybody!

I am currently on a TN Status:
- Visa Stamp expires on October 30
- I-94 TN status expires in 2 years. (Granted for 3 years)
- Computer Analyst
- Mexican

Last week I got a job offer, and I would like to know what options I have for changing of employer.
I wouldn’t like to go to Mexico and apply for a new visa from scratch and I don’t want to risk my current job.

I read about the following options:

- Change of employer through USCIS with an I-129
- Going to CBP and ask change of employer.

What would you recommend me to do?

Kind Regards,
L

Hi Nelsona!

As far as I know we cannot get TNs at the border, it has to be at the consulate.
But I was reading that it is possible to add additional employers to a current TN at the border or POE.

• USCBP has stated that Mexican citizens who possess a valid TN visa stamp may change employers at the border by departing the U.S. and presenting to USCBP a support letter for the new employer. AILA CBP Practice Pointer, AILA Doc. No. 16091302 (Sept. 13, 2016).

I think my best option is through USCIS (i-129) paying expedited processing, are there any considerations I should know?

Thanks!

Hi Aircraft,
I'm mexican too working with a TN in California, I changed of employer on april when I received a better job offer. I applied for my TN visa in February with the company I came to work for in the beginning, when I received the Job Offer for the new company I didn't want it to do all the process of the TN Visa at the Consulate, so I went to the POE on San Diego one Friday and request a change of employer with the new employer letter and all my papers. They gave me a new I-94 and that's it the next week I started working where I am now. I just pay 6 dollars for the permit. So I have my TN Visa of my previous job but a new I-94. At the end your I-94 is your authorization for work and your TN Visa Stamp in your passport is the one that give you the authorization to enter to the United States. Probably they are going to issue your I-94 for the time left in your TN, thats what they do with mine, so in February I need to go to Mexico and get a new TN Visa, so probably you are still going to need back to Mexico unless they issue your I-94 for more time than your TN Expire date.

Hi Aircraft,
I'm mexican too working with a TN in California, I changed of employer on april when I received a better job offer. I applied for my TN visa in February with the company I came to work for in the beginning, when I received the Job Offer for the new company I didn't want it to do all the process of the TN Visa at the Consulate, so I went to the POE on San Diego one Friday and request a change of employer with the new employer letter and all my papers. They gave me a new I-94 and that's it the next week I started working where I am now. I just pay 6 dollars for the permit. So I have my TN Visa of my previous job but a new I-94. At the end your I-94 is your authorization for work and your TN Visa Stamp in your passport is the one that give you the authorization to enter to the United States. Probably they are going to issue your I-94 for the time left in your TN, thats what they do with mine, so in February I need to go to Mexico and get a new TN Visa, so probably you are still going to need back to Mexico unless they issue your I-94 for more time than your TN Expire date.
Hello @ivantmj can you give the location? because i went to san ysidro and the officer don't know about that. please

Hello @ivantmj can you give the location? because i went to san ysidro and the officer don't know about that. please
I went into Ped West located at Virgina Ave in San Diego, is located next to the Outlets, I actually parked my car in the outlets and walked to the POE, I didn't have to leave the United States. At first the officer didn't know about the paperwork, but he asked other officers and his supervisor and they confirmed that he could do it. So he asked me for my papers and processed my new I-94.

Hi Aircraft,
Hi ivantmj.
I got a TN sponsored by company A, after quiting, the client for I was working give me a job offer which is better than company A. Therefore I want to change the employer without even have traveled as I still in Mexico. Do you have any idea how should I handle this? I have read that it is posible changing employer at POE and I don't want to go to the consulate for a new TN as I'm afraid that they can reject a new application as I'm changing employer in a very short period of time.

Hi ivantmj.
I got a TN sponsored by company A, after quiting, the client for I was working give me a job offer which is better than company A. Therefore I want to change the employer without even have traveled as I still in Mexico. Do you have any idea how should I handle this? I have read that it is posible changing employer at POE and I don't want to go to the consulate for a new TN as I'm afraid that they can reject a new application as I'm changing employer in a very short period of time.

You can indeed change employer on a POE, BUT it will depend on the officer if he wants to give you a new I-94, if he knows about this process and other stuff. Your best option is to go to a US Consulate and get a new TN Visa trust me you will not have any problem I had change employer three times now and never had a problem. I don't where you're, bit I've been doing this on Tijuana and never had a problem I just had my appointment last Wednesday for a new employer and they didn't ask anything. It's always better to have a new TN Visa then request a change of employer on a POE

You can indeed change employer on a POE, BUT it will depend on the officer if he wants to give you a new I-94, if he knows about this process and other stuff. Your best option is to go to a US Consulate and get a new TN Visa trust me you will not have any problem I had change employer three times now and never had a problem. I don't where you're, bit I've been doing this on Tijuana and never had a problem I just had my appointment last Wednesday for a new employer and they didn't ask anything. It's always better to have a new TN Visa then request a change of employer on a POE
Thanks!

Hi all,

Does anybody know if a Mexican can change employer in Southern CA border? I want to change the employer but not sure what's the best option due to the current situation. My visa stamp still valid until October 2020 and I 94 is valid until October 2022

Hi Aircraft,

HI Ivantmj

I am going through the same process, I usually wouldn't mind getting a new TN but, since the consulate was close for so many months, they don't have any appointments until March 2021.
So I wanted to ask you, did you just walked straight in to ped west? what paperwork did you brought over. ? Did you literally asked for a supervisor?

Hi all,

Does anybody know if a Mexican can change employer in Southern CA border? I want to change the employer but not sure what's the best option due to the current situation. My visa stamp still valid until October 2020 and I 94 is valid until October 2022

Jorgef21 what did you end up doing?
I'm in the same boat as you, got an appointment at the consulate for March 2020, and I'm thinking about trying this change of employer at the port of entry thing.

HI Ivantmj

I am going through the same process, I usually wouldn't mind getting a new TN but, since the consulate was close for so many months, they don't have any appointments until March 2021.
So I wanted to ask you, did you just walked straight in to ped west? what paperwork did you brought over. ? Did you literally asked for a supervisor?

Yes I just walked in to Ped West, I brought the same papers I took to the US Consulate, and no I didn't asked for the supervisor I told the official that I wanted a new I-94 with a new employer, I showed them my TN Visa, Employer Letter, and my Bachelor's Degree. Then the official went to the back to ask his supervisor if that could be done he said yes and gave me my new I-94. Now back then my TN Visa still had around 10 months before it expired I'm not sure if there is a problem if the TN Visa is going to expire in 2 or 3 months. It shouldn't be a problem.

Yes I just walked in to Ped West, I brought the same papers I took to the US Consulate, and no I didn't asked for the supervisor I told the official that I wanted a new I-94 with a new employer, I showed them my TN Visa, Employer Letter, and my Bachelor's Degree. Then the official went to the back to ask his supervisor if that could be done he said yes and gave me my new I-94. Now back then my TN Visa still had around 10 months before it expired I'm not sure if there is a problem if the TN Visa is going to expire in 2 or 3 months. It shouldn't be a problem.

Hi, did they ask you to cross into Mexico and come back?

Thank you.

Hello.
I am totally confused about this situation. I just got my TN renewed in the US consulate in Merida for my same employer after waiting 3 weeks. Now I have a opportunity to change my employer. Due to Corona Virus situation I don't want to request a new TN visa in the consulate for the new employer. Are you sure that If I have a valid TN visa that expires in October 2021 can I just walk to the port of entry in PEDWEST near Tijuana and change my new i-94 with the new employer?

Is this the only port of entry or it could be in any other airport (Chicago or Baltimore airport)?

Thanks a lot for your great help and answer in advance.

P.S. I tried to call PedWest Border office at +1-619-690-8900 but no one answered the phone. Is the border office closed at this point?

Any options?

Thanks again.

Hi Ivan,

Your post was very valuable for me. I still need to confirm if by just going to Ped West with my new employer's letter and bachelor's degree will be sufficient to change employers?

I'm not sure if Ped West is even open right now due to Corona Virus Crisis. Thank you in advance for your answer.

Hello.
I am totally confused about this situation. I just got my TN renewed in the US consulate in Merida for my same employer after waiting 3 weeks. Now I have a opportunity to change my employer. Due to Corona Virus situation I don't want to request a new TN visa in the consulate for the new employer. Are you sure that If I have a valid TN visa that expires in October 2021 can I just walk to the port of entry in PEDWEST near Tijuana and change my new i-94 with the new employer?

Is this the only port of entry or it could be in any other airport (Chicago or Baltimore airport)?

Thanks a lot for your great help and answer in advance.

P.S. I tried to call PedWest Border office at +1-619-690-8900 but no one answered the phone. Is the border office closed at this point?

Any options?

Thanks again.

Hi CarlosMundial. We actually helped a friend (Mexican National)with this last weekend. If your TN Visa is current you can change employers at Tijuana POE- San Ysidro. Just make sure you take the following:

*New letter from your employer with all the elements required by NAFTA (length of employment, pay, info on health insurance or any housing, background on the new employer and a job description, make sure the new JD still falls under a NAFTA qualified position).

*Your TN Visa

*Take your degree info and a copy of your current I-94 and all other documents you took to the consulate as back up. ( He was only asked for the new employer letter).

You'll have to cross into Mexico and return via pedestrian lane at Peds East, since PedsWest is currently closed. Once you reach the officer let them know you need to do a change of employer and they will direct you to an adjacent small yellow office. The office there will look at all your documents and issue a new I-94.

Here's the number I called to verify with two different officers prior to making the trip. 619-662-2265 this is the pedswest number but calls are being routed to PedsEast. Be patient with the phone as it takes some time for them to pick up. The best time I found for calling was noon. The officers are very friendly and can answer your questions.

Hope this is helpful for you and others! Best of luck.

Anna

Hi CarlosMundial. We actually helped a friend (Mexican National)with this last weekend. If your TN Visa is current you can change employers at Tijuana POE- San Ysidro. Just make sure you take the following:

*New letter from your employer with all the elements required by NAFTA (length of employment, pay, info on health insurance or any housing, background on the new employer and a job description, make sure the new JD still falls under a NAFTA qualified position).

*Your TN Visa

*Take your degree info and a copy of your current I-94 and all other documents you took to the consulate as back up. ( He was only asked for the new employer letter).

You'll have to cross into Mexico and return via pedestrian lane at Peds East, since PedsWest is currently closed. Once you reach the officer let them know you need to do a change of employer and they will direct you to an adjacent small yellow office. The office there will look at all your documents and issue a new I-94.

Here's the number I called to verify with two different officers prior to making the trip. 619-662-2265 this is the pedswest number but calls are being routed to PedsEast. Be patient with the phone as it takes some time for them to pick up. The best time I found for calling was noon. The officers are very friendly and can answer your questions.

Hope this is helpful for you and others! Best of luck.

Anna

Hi Anna,

Thanks a lot for your response. I have already called a lawyer and all you are saying is totally true. I am actually planning to travel by plane into Houston International airport. This procedure that you say can be made at any port of entry in the United States.

I should be fine if I am traveling by plane and I finish the process of changing employers at the airport.

Thanks again and of course I will take with me all the requested documents for this change of employers.

Happy new 2021 !!

Hi Carlos, was it possible for you to do the change? I am in the same boat, I want to change employers but don’t want to have to do the process again at the consulate, I currently work in Houston, when I called a POE they said I had to file again in Mexico or through USCIS.