• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Things to know before entering the DV 2011!

My friend received her Notice of Action today, but online her status hasn't been updated so she is going to call USCIS to see if an interview has been scheduled....:) She is one step further:)

i2009 wot if he doesnt win n answers no about applying 4 immigration petition wil they know.

Hello Maju. What I read is that the information disclosed in the DV application is stored in a database and it may serve many purposes (search for terrorists, find people that were supposed to be out of the country with addresses in the US, etc). It says that the fact of registration, by itself, would not ordinarily be sufficient cause for visa denial and certainly is not an automatic bar to receipt of a subsequent non-immigrant visa(s).

So, to answer your question, they will know that the person participated in the DV Lottery but they should not deny a non-immigrant visa just for that.

I just found the document explaining all of these issues: http://forums.immigration.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=17654&d=1224390750

My friend received her Notice of Action today, but online her status hasn't been updated so she is going to call USCIS to see if an interview has been scheduled....:) She is one step further:)

Congratulations! I received my NOAs and the online case status has not changed. I asked in the forum and many answered that they received the NOAs and interviews and their case status remain as "Acceptance".

Good luck to your friend

Congratulations! I received my NOAs and the online case status has not changed. I asked in the forum and many answered that they received the NOAs and interviews and their case status remain as "Acceptance".

Good luck to your friend

Good Luck to you as well and all others....she will call later today USCIS and ask if they have her interview date scheduled?

You number was current in Oct. or Nov....so your interview should have been scheduled by now, do you know when you will have it?

Good Luck to you as well and all others....she will call later today USCIS and ask if they have her interview date scheduled?

You number was current in Oct. or Nov....so your interview should have been scheduled by now, do you know when you will have it?

Thanks Bentlebee for the good luck wishes.

My case was current in November. I still am waiting for the biometrics appointment. I belong to the Philadelphia Field Office so I think it is a busy office and it may take a while for the interview appointment.

Please, let us know what the USCIS tells your friend this evening.

Good luck!

Thanks Bentlebee for the good luck wishes.

My case was current in November. I still am waiting for the biometrics appointment. I belong to the Philadelphia Field Office so I think it is a busy office and it may take a while for the interview appointment.

Please, let us know what the USCIS tells your friend this evening.

Good luck!

They couldn't find her receipt number yet...so she will try again in a few days.

More packages can be sent to Chicago....:) and/or people can be one step further in the process of obtaining the GC...

Region All DV Chargeability Areas Except Those Listed Separately
AFRICA 23,400 Except:
Egypt: 12,300
Ethiopia: 12,475
Nigeria: 12,900

ASIA 9,475
EUROPE 19,750
NORTH AMERICA (BAHAMAS) 4
OCEANIA 775
SOUTH AMERICA, and the CARIBBEAN 925

Good Luck:) Check every paper before you sent it to Chicago!

Like a couple more weeks are left before the end of entering the DV lottery....enter if you are eligible otherwise don't...don't wait till the last day because if the USCIS or your own comp. is not working well...it means too bad out of luck and you have to wait another yr to enter..

Good Luck to all entering...

There are still some people who think they get housing for low prices or something for free....You get a GC that is worth a lot of money to others who aren't getting it, the rest is up the winner...succeed or failure, both have happened afterwards...

Mustafa,

Former Soviet Union did as good as the United States in vaccinations. The required vaccinations for GC are very basic vaccinations that everyone in the former Soviet Union region get anyway. Just go to the polyclinic where you are registered and ask them to pull your vaccination records from their catalog and have them translated into English (attach a copy of original) and submit.
The only thing you will have to do might be Tuberculosis skin test (mantoux). Any accredited/state-owned polyclinic can administer it.

Last edited by a moderator:
as for green card being "immigration intent" it is up in the air for the consular officer's scrutiny who deals with your particular nonimmigrant visa application. I played the lottery several times before (finally) winning and was granted all kinds of nonimmigrant visas in between.

If playing the DV lottery means immigrant intent...(although it might show intent..) then hardly any one would be allowed into thsi country anymore, since most people have tried to win the DV lottery at one point...isn't that the whole point of playing and it would be sad if some one is punished for playingsomething they might never win...

Some even have stated they played and didn't made up their mind if they want to proceed to get the GC afterwards...

it is a lottery and open to anyone, I would say application for permanent residency would definitely count as a documented intent, not just playing the lottery.

I understand but that shouldn't be an issue to deny access to any one...JMO....Maybe some one can play for 20 years and not winning....:(, if due to that you are refused access into the country that is not fair...JMO!

of course it wouldn't be fair.......
i said above, i played the lottery and did not win for a few times and was granted several kinds of nonimmigrant visas afterwards.
and of course, lottery is a convenient factor to blame for anyone with denied nonimmigrant visas. it insults none and yet makes you feel better.

I just edited this original post that I wrote last year so some new items are included. If any one has another new thing, just write it so we can help others but also be honest and not naive about cost and risks to enter.

If any one enters and get denied it means a big hurdle to get into the country on a visitor visa as well since you have to disclose forever!

Last week I came back from a vacation abroad and 5 people where denied on the plane to the USA. I don't know what the reason was but the purser announced their papers were not as needed, which can mean a lot of things.