• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Things to know before entering the DV 2011!

I will push this thread up again, due to people asking things and not being sure if the want to enter or not...

If you have no intention of going further than don't enter...this isn't doing anything to your self but taking a chance of another person who really wants to persue the American dream.

If you want to persue the dream, than enter:), but realize that applying for the GC isn't free of costs and the possibility is there that the fees will be increased in the near future.

As of today the president has signed a bill into law that allows HIV positive patients to enter the US and obtain a GC or any other visa. This was previous not the case.

So the medical will probably chance and I guess that the HIV test won't be taken anymore....but I haven't heard any official word about it....

As of today the president has signed a bill into law that allows HIV positive patients to enter the US and obtain a GC or any other visa. This was previous not the case.

So the medical will probably chance and I guess that the HIV test won't be taken anymore....but I haven't heard any official word about it....

Good for those who are worried about this HIV thing. They should also include the other communicable diseases since almost all them are treatable. For instance, having gonorrhea does not mean the person is doomed forever since this can be treated with antibiotics, although with prolonged infection no treatment can reverse any damage already done to your reproductive organs.

If HIV patients are let in than I agree with you a person with syphilis should be let in also...if the USCIS doesn't I guess some people will start to sue the government and will have a good case to win.

Good for those who are worried about this HIV thing. They should also include the other communicable diseases since almost all them are treatable. For instance, having gonorrhea does not mean the person is doomed forever since this can be treated with antibiotics, although with prolonged infection no treatment can reverse any damage already done to your reproductive organs.

Hello ammeck,

If the applicant has a treatable disease, then the surgeon will refer the applicant to a physician for the corresponding treatment. Meanwhile, the applicant may receive a waiver or a follow up with the surgeon.

If HIV patients are let in than I agree with you a person with syphilis should be let in also...if the USCIS doesn't I guess some people will start to sue the government and will have a good case to win.

Jeez, I hope the government does a better job allowing immigrant that think more in working than suing them.

Vocational school question, help please...

What do they mean by "vocation schools or equivalency degrees are not acceptable"? Is vocation school the same as vocational school? Why then vocational school is not acceptable if it is listed after high school (it looks like the degrees are listed in order)?
My boyfriend has a high school diploma from Europe where he was born and after high school he studied at the vocational school in Canada and received Diploma of Vocational Studies. What should he check High School or Vocational School? He does not want to get disqualified if he checks vocational, but if he just checks high school, he is afraid that they might say that he lied on the application later on???
Thank you
Here is the explanation of the school system in Canada that I found:

Primary education covers a period of six years (excluding preschool), while secondary education runs from level 1 through 5. Together, they make up a total of 11 years.
From the third or fourth year of secondary school, the student can choose to take vocational training to learn a trade. Such training is recognized by the Diplôme d’études professionnelles (DEP - Diploma of Vocational Studies).
Successful completion of the general secondary program is recognized by the Diplôme d’études secondaires (DES - Diploma of Secondary Studies). The DES gives access to the first level of higher education, which is provided by a type of institution unique to Québec, i.e. the Collège d'enseignement général et professionnel (or CEGEP).
[/SIZE][/COLOR]

I would fill out HS. It is very confusing. I have googled and read many things about Vocational schools. In some countries it is replacing HS and you won't be eligible if you have that diploma. In other countries it is something that requires a HS diploma and is taken after HS. Also over time schools and requirements have changed.

When I went to school they changed some Middle School diploma requirements from 3 to 4 yrs and before I went to Vocational school they only had admission of 4 yr HS diploma + a certain grade level.

Just to avoid the risk I would fill out HS and later show the other diploma's at the time of your interview and explain. After all you only need HS to be eligible...and only voacational schools levels are very different all over the world. I even found a list of what Vocational schools are in different countries but not all countries are listed and just to go by my country...that wasn't listed either and than you have even in one country different requirements for different vocational schools...

Hello bentlebee,

I thought that you may want to point out one of the risks that people may face when applying for the DV. There is an article that analyzes the DV program and it says that since 2005 all the information disclosed on the lottery applications are not longer destroyed and these millions of applications are now in a database with names, biographic information and photographs of people who voluntarily participate in the DV program.

The bottom line is that this information could be used in many ways and, if the applicant is not issued the immigrant visa, some may have their student and/or visitor's visas canceled for possessing "immigrant intent" and may not be eligible for future visas because they had expressed an intent to immigrate.

Hello bentlebee,

I thought that you may want to point out one of the risks that people may face when applying for the DV. There is an article that analyzes the DV program and it says that since 2005 all the information disclosed on the lottery applications are not longer destroyed and these millions of applications are now in a database with names, biographic information and photographs of people who voluntarily participate in the DV program.

The bottom line is that this information could be used in many ways and, if the applicant is not issued the immigrant visa, some may have their student and/or visitor's visas canceled for possessing "immigrant intent" and may not be eligible for future visas because they had expressed an intent to immigrate.

I will add it to the first post..thanks:)

If a person was 2 apply 4 dv as vocational traind does ths mean he has been automaticaly disqualified.

If a person was 2 apply 4 dv as vocational traind does ths mean he has been automaticaly disqualified.

No, it depends on which country you are from and what the Vocational school level is...in some countries it could be similar to HS and in others it isn't the same level and in that case it will be automatically be a denial due to not being eligible. To me the USCIS should change this or make it more clear since it isn't every where the same....

http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cach...tm+vocational+school&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cach...aired+to+high+school&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

both links will get you to different websites...

I followed a Vocational school after my HS and it was a full time school for 3 years...if you read about Voacational schools, many are part time and only for 1 or 2 years...

So if 1 wins he gets the 1nl then after posting your papers ,thats when they decide if u qualify or how does it work?

Basically the winner has to qualify and be eligible....if the winner isn't eligible non of the others can apply. The same counts if the winner dies during the application period...the rest of the people applying with the first person, will all denied to go any further....

I would fill out HS. It is very confusing. I have googled and read many things about Vocational schools. In some countries it is replacing HS and you won't be eligible if you have that diploma. In other countries it is something that requires a HS diploma and is taken after HS. Also over time schools and requirements have changed.

When I went to school they changed some Middle School diploma requirements from 3 to 4 yrs and before I went to Vocational school they only had admission of 4 yr HS diploma + a certain grade level.

Just to avoid the risk I would fill out HS and later show the other diploma's at the time of your interview and explain. After all you only need HS to be eligible...and only voacational schools levels are very different all over the world. I even found a list of what Vocational schools are in different countries but not all countries are listed and just to go by my country...that wasn't listed either and than you have even in one country different requirements for different vocational schools...

Thank you for your answer. I was leaning towards doing this myself and that's what we are going to do.

Hello bentlebee,

Thank you for this info. I never actually thought about this. But this makes sense. Do you think/know if they really check if you participated in DV before issuing visitor's visas? That can't be good... Personally, I would never immigrate unless I get legal status... but I want to be able to just visit USA. if I participate in DV does it mean they will deny my visitor's visa?:(

Thank you for this info. I never actually thought about this. But this makes sense. Do you think/know if they really check if you participated in DV before issuing visitor's visas? That can't be good... Personally, I would never immigrate unless I get legal status... but I want to be able to just visit USA. if I participate in DV does it mean they will deny my visitor's visa?:(

It depends on what your status is upfront and if you are eligible on all fronts...

I have people who own a home here for yrs and travel every 3 months in and out the country (which isn't much fun) but they are retired and have no chance for a visa and rather do it this way than applying and being rejected, because that can cause a huge issue later on. They do play the lottery and hope to obtain a GC that way.

Some countries have silver cards for retirees who don't want and don't need to work and still can stay yr round...that would be perfect for them and for the economy as well..but the US still doesn't have it...it would limit the applications for the DV lottery since most of retirees don't need the GC, just want to be able to stay here...

Hi puzoo,

What they say is that participating in the DV does not affect your chances of getting an student or visitor visa but, the problem is if you win the DV and then the application is rejected. One of the consequences is that you will have to answer "yes" to the question if you have ever applied for an immigrant petition. If you answer "no" they still will be able to see in their computers that you did applied.

So, before applying for the DV, people should evaluate their possibilities of getting the GC (bentlebee's list of requirements in the first page of this thread is pretty accurate for the evaluation). It could be very disappointing to have the GC rejected and then find it out that you cannot come back to the US to finish your studies or for visiting purposes.

Does it make sense?

Last edited by a moderator:
Will who know? USCIS and customs will know, if that is what you mean..it will be in all computers for US embassies and US customs. So next time the person will try to enter even on a tourist visa...it will be seen by custom employees and might be a red flag and entry might be refused...for that reason some people never apply for a visum so no more info will be know as has to be filled out on the green form/tourist visa entering form.