Surrender!!!

StonedAnt

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

So, after 6 years or so, I am planning to go abroad to the old country for a visit now that I have finally received the "pata" (that's what us desis call the GC colloquially).

My question is simply which I-94 to surrender at the airport. I know one of them would be the white one stapled to my old passport issued at my last entry. I have numerous more attached to the approved I129 forms. Should I surrender those as well?

Thanks,

Stoned!

I've never surrendered any I94. I don't think you need to worry about I94s anymore. Congratulations. By the way, I'm Indian, and we don't call it a 'pata' :)

And, are you really stoned?

Thanks cafeconleche,

No I am not stoned. If I was, I'm sure they would have found out in my medical test during the I-485 application phase....:) It is just a name that I picked up during the college days.

If you don't call it a pata, do you have another slang name that you use?

Stoned!

Been in and out of the country twice now since getting the card, did not surrender I-94 (I like to keep it as a reminder of my past struggles in this process). Did not have any major issues at the airport. The first time, I was sent in for secondary inspection, that's all.

Surrender of I-94 is to indicate that you have left the country as a non-immigrant, giving up that status.

You aren't doing this, so there is nothing to give back.

I've never surrendered any I94. I don't think you need to worry about I94s anymore. Congratulations. By the way, I'm Indian, and we don't call it a 'pata' :)

And, are you really stoned?

cafeconleche,

Are you hindi or marathi speaking? Patta (rhymes with but-ta with t pronounced slightly differently) is a common hindi or marathi term for any kind of card. I have heard people use terms hirva patta (marathi) or hara patta (hindi) for green card. Hirva or Hara of course means green.

Cheers :)

The first time I traveled outside the country after I received the GC, I left my I94. However, when I was coming back I did not fill out the I94 form. So whenever i leave again I have nothing but that doesn't matter, because I don't need to.

Hi nelsona,

Howdy old timer? I also received my GC finally after so many years. However, we entered on AP while it was still pending. So we have an I-94 attached to the passport. Do we surrender this when we leave the next time?

Surrender of I-94 is to indicate that you have left the country as a non-immigrant, giving up that status.

You aren't doing this, so there is nothing to give back.

Hi nelsona,

Howdy old timer? I also received my GC finally after so many years. However, we entered on AP while it was still pending. So we have an I-94 attached to the passport. Do we surrender this when we leave the next time?
what thew heck do you think I said in my answer?:eek:

I have heard that nothing happens to those I-94. There is no manpower to process those documents left with the airline counters.

I am not stating that there is a mechanism. I am merely stating that at an applicant's oath ceremony, the applicant has a chance to surrender all USCIS documents he/she may have. They all probably end up in a shredder.

C'mon. There is no mechanism to hand back old I-94s 3-5 years after they have expired.

I'm not surrendering anything I don't have to. I'd like to keep these things as a record of my immigration history.

What happens when one loses the GC between the interview and oath ceremony? Is that bad?