successful CP MUMBAI AC140

all a-ok

had interview oct 27 morning. all went well.

give you wooden tokens, but they serve no purpose, so its doesnt matter if you have 28 or 288!

the consular officer had a tough demeanor - but midway through i realized it was more out of jest than anything else. he asked about my career history, where my wife and i met (in detail), asked my wife about her stay in germany, asked me in detail about one aspect of my job, also asked about how my university got its name. he started smiling towards the end, and i had started way before that when he asked about where my wife and i met. guys, chill out even if they grill you a little - the tough guy act is just temporary.

take 2 copies of your marriage certificate-one for your and spouse files.

make sure you organize your papers well so they are easy to randomly access based on what they request.

go to pick up the passport only at 4pm - we were asked to come at 3:30pm but waited in the sun unnecessarily.

i got our 140 approval original back - first time i've touched it - feels good after all the games played by my company visa rep.

no cell phones allowed, no closed bags allowed - just go with simple shopping plastic bags (do not need to be transparent or clear), with docs organized in folders.

no need to take your US citizen kids with you. we left our baby with grandmom.

no need to line up too early - but make it there by 7:30am. there are no NIV applicants in line anymore - all handled by courier. so most in line are IV applicants

carry your vaccination records for the health check. go to lilavati or hinduja, breach candy had bad reviews. get there by 6:45am. better still, get the form the previous day, and arrive at 7am and submit form first while others get it and fill it out. you'll be first in line, and get out of the hospital early.

photos are cheap (Rs 100 for 8 next day service or Rs200 for same day) at "my own photo studio".

draft amount wef oct11, 2003 is Rs15410 for $335 fee, but check latest amount anyway. i got cash from citibank ATM in rupees from my US dollar account, and used to get draft. go to ANY bank in Mumbai.

yeah.
the same guy said
I will burn you in fire
when my wife had her interview yesterday. She apparently did not have a valid visa stamp in her passport, and he almost declared her an illegal US immigrant. After showing him I-797 approval and lots of pleading, he finally conceded. BTW, do take a copy of DS-230 part I. those bozo seem to have no track of their own business. We had paid visa fee in USA, but they still demanded we pay visa fees. WTF :( and to top it, had no copies of visa fee reciept. Finally they agreed to "honor" our word. WTF:(

Re: all a-ok

Originally posted by rohufish
carry your vaccination records for the health check. go to lilavati or hinduja, breach candy had bad reviews. ...

We (myself, wife, mother, daughter) have exclusively used Breach candy and have abolutely nothing but praises to heap upon them.
They do a nice job. Reports are available by 2:30pm same day.

entered from JFK PoE

smooth entry at JFK nov 2

do not stand in visitors line - stand in US citizen/GC line - much shorter, faster. some security officers do not know and will send immigrant visa holders to visitors line. don't ask, don't tell - just stand in US cit/GC line and if anyone asks before you reach officer, just say you have GC.

after initial entry stamp (says status E21 for me and E22 for wife), sent to room around corner. only 2 others there - BCIS officer took right index fingerprint on form, made us sign, and gave passports back after stamping the temporary GC stamp (valid for 1 year). said card takes 6 mos to 1 year!

anyone entered from NYC recently who got card - how long does it take?

truly guys - BCIS sucks big time - minimize every touchpoint with BCIS, and go for CP anyday...

Hi
Just to understand better, have you guys initially applied for AOS I-485 & then switched to CP? If yes, I have a few questions regarding that...Please confirm.

goyal:

YEs those showing up under AC I-140 process are the folks who initially filed 485 and then went on AC I-140 process at the consulate. After reviewing this and other A I-140 threads if you have any questions feel free to post them here and one of us will be able to answer them?

Information on AC-140

Hi Friends,

I just applied for my I-140 & had specified for Consular Processing. I would like to go for AC-140 & have below questions.

- Do I need to file I-824, if yes as per my knowledge I-824 is either for tranfer of Consulate location OR transfer processing from 485 to CP. In my case I neither have any. How can I file I-824 ? As at Mumbai Consulate I-824 is MUST required document for AC-140.

I appreciate yor answer.

Thanks,

Dave

Can we transfer CP to I-485

Hi Friends,

I have only 9 months left for H1 & have applied for I-140 with Counsular Processing. My I-140 is still pending.

- Is it possible for me that I can transfer the processing to AOS & file I-485 even I have specified CP in I-140. Id so How ?
- Can I get H1 extension beyond 6 year while my CP processing is going ? I guess we can extend H1 beyond 6th year only if I have filed I-485.

Thanks,

Raju

Dave either I am confused or you are coz in first post you show intent of CP and the 2nd post about changing to 485. You cannot have both going on at the same time.

1st post:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Do I need to file I-824, if yes as per my knowledge I-824 is either for tranfer of Consulate location OR transfer processing from 485 to CP. In my case I neither have any. How can I file I-824 ? As at Mumbai Consulate I-824 is MUST required document for AC-140.

Answer: I-824 can be filed only after I-140 is approved. Depending on the service center and category filed under I-140 approval is taking 4 months to 14 months. I-824 is used to transfer case to the consulate which in other words means to change process from 485 to CP. Since your I-140 is pending you cannot file I-824. Yes, I-824 is a required document since it is this document that authorizes INS to transfer case to the consulate and for consulate to accept your CP case.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2nd post:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Is it possible for me that I can transfer the processing to AOS & file I-485 even I have specified CP in I-140. Id so How ?

Answer: Since your I-140 is pending, you cannot file I-824. If you want to change to 485 file 485 papers with a letter that you would like to change the process to 485 from CP include your reference number such as eac/ lin/ src or such number!

- Can I get H1 extension beyond 6 year while my CP processing is going ? I guess we can extend H1 beyond 6th year only if I have filed I-485.

Answer: YEs you can get H-1B 7th/ 8th year extension with I-140 pending with cp option or concurrent 485.

Question for I-824

Hi Kd1403,

Thanks for information. I realy appreciate it.

As you mentioned -824 is used to transfer case to the consulate which in other words
means to change process from 485 to CP than How can I'll able to file I-824 as I already
mentioned CP in I-140?

I might be asking silly questions but I don't wanna take any chances.

Thanks again.

Raju

Re: Question for I-824

Originally posted by dave2004
Hi Kd1403,

Thanks for information. I realy appreciate it.

As you mentioned -824 is used to transfer case to the consulate which in other words
means to change process from 485 to CP than How can I'll able to file I-824 as I already
mentioned CP in I-140?

I might be asking silly questions but I don't wanna take any chances.

Thanks again.

Raju

Since, you have already opted for CP in 140 you don't have to file 824. It has been mostly used by people trying to jump to CP after the I-140 got approved for 485.

Question on I-824

Hi harapatra,

Thanks for answer.

As I-824 is a MUST document for AC-140 than how can I file I-824 while I have already specified CP in I-140 filing. From the previous answers I know that I can go for AC-140 after I-140 approval.

I appreciate your answer.

Thanks,

Raju

re: Question on I-824

Raju,

AC-140 gave people an opportunity when their 824 was getting delayed (it takes about 18 months for the approval these days). In your case 824 does not come into picture. Your file will move to NVC shortly after 140 approval which then generates the case no. and forwards it to the consulate you mentioned in your 140. So, again you don;t need AC-140 and thus 824.

Question on I-824

Hi harapatra,

Thanks for clarification. I had the confusion about I-824 & AC-140.

One last question:

Do you know how much time it take to get an interview after I-140 approval ?

Thanks,

Raju

dave2004:

It generally takes about 6-9 months after I-140 approval to get interview date at the consulate! More than likely 7 months average!

Question about I-824

Hi kd1403 & harapatra,

Thanks for sharing information.

I really appreciate your quick answer.

Again Thanks,

Raju

aos to cp

Hello! kd1403

Thanks for responding. I have few questions regarding CP.

1. After Delhi Consulate receives the papers what will be the sequence of steps or process?

2. What is the approx. time frame for above sequence of steps?

3. I have got my H1B extended 6 months back for another 3 years, but I didn't get it stamped on my passport.Please tell me how important to get H1B stamped on Passport.?

4. Any other tips or guidence will be welcomed.

1. After Delhi Consulate receives the papers what will be the sequence of steps or process?
Answered: I am guessing yours is a AC I-140 case. If it is AC I-140 expect an interview in about 3-3.5 months from the time of your AC I-140 packet receipt in new delhi.
In about 3-4 weeks new delhi will either accept or deny your AC I-140 application. If accepted then provide a NWD case number else if rejected then provide a reason. If you have provided all required documents and if you fall under delhi jurisdiction then it will generally get accepted. About 2-2.5 months after receiving your NWD number your interview will be scheduled in ND consulate.

2. What is the approx. time frame for above sequence of steps?
Answer: See above.

3. I have got my H1B extended 6 months back for another 3 years, but I didn't get it stamped on my passport.Please tell me how important to get H1B stamped on Passport.?
Answer: Not important. The only hassle is that if you fly through certain countries such as UK, France and a few others then you will be required to apply for a transit visa of that country since you will be flying through that country without a usa visa (you will have an h-1b extension approval not a visa). If you research more on transit visa you will get a feel for what the requirements are...if you still have questions feel free to post!

4. Any other tips or guidence will be welcomed.
Answer: Use this web site to the fullest!

AC - 140 and I-824

Hi Guys

I'm new to this site, I was reading the Q & A from you guys on
AC-140

HaraPatra & kd1403

I fall in the same category as Dave2004, in my case my attorney has filed for 140 with CP option but he told me that he would file I-824 later on and I would be able to go for AC-140 and that would expedite the process.

Now, I'm confused after reading your posts, how come my lawyer is telling me that he would file for AC-140 if I'm not going for 485.

Is there any other way to get around that my lawyer might be using ?

I would appreciate your answers ...

Thanks a lot ...

victor:

As per imminfo question 7 per link below 485 filing is not a must:
http://imminfo.com/Knowledgebase/FAQs/ACI140.html

My understanding was that one needs to have a 485 filed to be able to take the ac i-140 route. I would suggest waiting for other folks to reply to this thread and also post this question murthy.com chat on monday night 9pm EST!