Stuck in Name Check??? Let's track it

Hello,

How can i check if my 485 case is struck in name check or not ?

I called customer service but they don't have any information about it.

thanks

Hello,

How can i check if my 485 case is struck in name check or not ?

I called customer service but they don't have any information about it.

thanks

In my case when my processing date became current I did a status inquiry by calling the 1-800 number and 2 weeks later I got the letter stating that my application is delayed because of security checks.

How can I expedite a fingerprint notice from USCIS? My 485 was filed more than 3 years back and now my date is current. Per infopass, my name check is clear, but I have not yet received fingerprinting (biometrics) notice for FBI check which is holding my case.
Me and my lawyer have contacted USCIS several times but no response yet.

How can I expedite a fingerprint notice from USCIS? My 485 was filed more than 3 years back and now my date is current. Per infopass, my name check is clear, but I have not yet received fingerprinting (biometrics) notice for FBI check which is holding my case.
Me and my lawyer have contacted USCIS several times but no response yet.

I think you should contact congressman/senator and explain your situation. Although they cannot help in namecheck clearance(which is already clear in your case), but they can get this kind of cases moving.

BTW, at your infopass, did you ask about your FP notice? The reason I am asking is that in 3 years, USCIS should atleast issue 1 FP notice if not more. May be the FP notice got misplaced. Also try putting in a regular status inquiry, that may trigger a FP.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you should contact congressman/senator and explain your situation. Although they cannot help in namecheck clearance(which is already clear in your case), but they can get this kind of cases moving.

BTW, at your infopass, did you ask about your FP notice? The reason I am asking is that in 3 years, USCIS should atleast issue 1 FP notice if not more. May be the FP notice got misplaced. Also try putting in a regular status inquiry, that may trigger a FP.

EricS - thanks for the prompt reply. I did ask about the FP notice and he confirmed that it was never sent and that there's nothing more he can do. He suggested sending a letter to USCIS again, but that's about it. I told him that we have done this a couple of times and have been contacting USCIS every month for atleast the last 6 months. He said that's all he could suggest.
Can you tell me what is dependent on FBI FP's since the name check is cleared? I thought NC is dependent on FBI FP's but clearly I was wrong. Is it a lengthy process or a quick one once I get the FP notices?

I called NSC today and I was told that my security check is still pending. She said there are two security checks and one of them is not cleared. Does any one got this type of reply and have any idea what are they?

Thanks!

This was posted on immigrationvoice.com forums. It is from the 2007 Ombudsman's report

http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/CISOMB_Annual Report_2007.pdf

FBI Name Checks
(Annual Report pp. 37-45)

FBI name checks, one of the security screening tools used by USCIS, may be the single biggest obstacle to the timely and efficient delivery of immigration benefits. The problem of long-pending FBI name check cases worsened during the reporting period.
• As of May 2007, USCIS reported 329,160 FBI name check cases pending;
• Approximately 64% (211,341) of those cases have been pending more than 90 days and approximately 32% (106,738) have been pending more than one year;
• There are now 93,358 more name check cases pending than last year, and 31,144 FBI name check cases pending more than 33 months as compared to 21,570 last year;

Pending FBI Namechecks

Age of Pending Response Total Count
(May 4,2007) Total Count
(May 17, 2006)
< 3 months 117,819 82,636
3 - 6 months 55,749 33,450
6 - 9 months 28,029 20,047
9 - 12 months 20,825 16,845
12 - 15 months 14,133 15,064
15 - 18 months 13,931 10,636
18 - 21 months 11,035 8,144
21 - 24 months 12,398 8,325
24 - 27 months 11,765 9,754
27 - 30 months 6,600 4,435
30 - 33 months 5,732 4,896
> 33 months 31,144 21,570
Total Pending 329,160 235,802

Backlogs and Pending Cases
(Annual Report pp. 11-16)

USCIS customers continue to face lengthy and costly waiting periods for benefits. Through USCIS employees’ dedication and leadership, there has been a substantial reduction in the backlog. Unfortunately, the agency’s redefinition of the backlog raises questions about the significance of its backlog reduction efforts. As of March 2007, there was a total backlog of 1,275,795 cases. Regardless of how those cases are defined, whether under current USCIS control or not, they are cases that must eventually be completed. A realistic plan must be established to address this issue.

Employment-Based (EB) Green Card Applications
(Annual Report pp. 32-37)

In FY 06, over 10,000 visas were lost because of slow processing of EB cases, even though USCIS had an estimated 100,000 to 150,000 pending applications for employment-based green cards. As of May 2007, the State Department estimated that 40,000 EB visas may be lost in FY 07 if USCIS does not increase the processing rate for green card applications. The Ombudsman attributes the slow rate of adjudications to inaccurate statistics and inefficient USCIS management of its workload. The problem will become significant in the coming fiscal year if there is a dramatic increase in EB green card applications, and a significant backlog is likely to develop if this problem goes unaddressed.

OK, Guys I have some good news

I received an email saying the card was ordered.

I applied for I485 in Sep 2005(PD 2003 Dec, EB2 TSC). There was no update in my case until yesterday. There is no information for my wife's case yet. I hope it will come soon. Thanks for all your support and keep up your spirits.

Letter to Senator - anyone got a good format/wordings?

I tried to go thru as many posts as possible on this thread but I couldn't find a format/template for a letter that can be sent to Senator/Congressman for asking help on name check (either follow up with FBI or expedite).

Any one knows of such a letter? Please let me know.

Thanks!

I too have my FBI Name Check pending since June 2005 so had written to FBI last week. Yesterday I got a letter from FBI saying the following :
"To promtply respond to requests, we concentrate on identifying main files in the central records system at FBI Headquarters. No records responsive to you FOIPA request were located by a search of the automated indices"

Did anyone get this message from FBI in the past ? Does this mean my namecheck is clear ?
I called USCIS today but they still say my namecheck is pending.

My details :
EB3 (Nebraska SS)
Priority Date : May 2002
I-485 Filed : June 2005
Namecheck pending since June 2005

How are you ppl calling USCIS or TSC to enquire about Name check status? When I call the 800-375-5283 number it takes me to general information line and they can give no details more than what we can see online about our case.

Please share info on how to talk to an agent in TSC.

thanks

I tried to go thru as many posts as possible on this thread but I couldn't find a format/template for a letter that can be sent to Senator/Congressman for asking help on name check (either follow up with FBI or expedite).

Any one knows of such a letter? Please let me know.

Thanks!

I second that. If anyone has any sample letters/formats of the letters sent to congressman/senator that generated a positive response, please share with the group.

I too have my FBI Name Check pending since June 2005 so had written to FBI last week. Yesterday I got a letter from FBI saying the following :
"To promtply respond to requests, we concentrate on identifying main files in the central records system at FBI Headquarters. No records responsive to you FOIPA request were located by a search of the automated indices"

Did anyone get this message from FBI in the past ? Does this mean my namecheck is clear ?
I called USCIS today but they still say my namecheck is pending.

My details :
EB3 (Nebraska SS)
Priority Date : May 2002
I-485 Filed : June 2005
Namecheck pending since June 2005

FOIPA request and FBI namechec (NC) are different things: FOIPA searches to determine whether there is a file of investigation associated with an individual (the main search). NC conducts both a main file and a reference search. A reference is someone whose name merely appers in a file or investigation. In addition, NC includes searching variations of the name, while FOIPA search looks for the exact match of the name. Thus, your FOIPA can come back as having no record, while NC still generates a hit.
Hope this helps,

I second that. If anyone has any sample letters/formats of the letters sent to congressman/senator that generated a positive response, please share with the group.

There are sample letters on this website.
However I understand that it is maybe hard to find them, so I attach my letter here for your benefit, please do not use it in the Baltimore district where it was sent to 2 senators and congressman (or if you do use - please change a lot).
Good luck folks!

< 3 months 117,819 82,636
3 - 6 months 55,749 33,450
6 - 9 months 28,029 20,047
9 - 12 months 20,825 16,845
12 - 15 months 14,133 15,064
15 - 18 months 13,931 10,636
18 - 21 months 11,035 8,144
21 - 24 months 12,398 8,325
24 - 27 months 11,765 9,754
27 - 30 months 6,600 4,435
30 - 33 months 5,732 4,896
> 33 months 31,144 21,570
Total Pending 329,160 235,802

something is not right with these numbers.

According to November 2006 testimony of Michael A. Cannon, Section Chief National Name Check Program Section, FBI,

"In December of 2002 and January of 2003, USCIS resubmitted 2.7 million name check requests to the FBI [...] approximately sixteen percent of the responses (over 440,000) indicated that the FBI may have information... [...] These 440,000 requests are in process of being resolved."

May 2006 - January 2003 = 40 months which is more then 33 months.
but this table indicates that as of May 2006 there were 21,570 namecheks pending for more then 33 months.

so, where are those 440,000 NCs?

Let's lobby the House Subcommitee on Immigration

Hi

I have been a silent watcher of this fourm for some months. My wife's name check has been pending for more than 2 years.

Within immigration reform hitting the headlines I think we should try and push our luck on expediting name checks into the new legislation. I would suggest writing to the House Subcommittee on Immigration Citizenship Refugees Border Security and International Law at:

http://judiciary.house.gov/contact.aspx

Please include the following in your letter:
a) the length of time you have been stuck in the name check queue
b) professional and personal hardships that have been caused by the delay
c) your analysis that the delay is being caused because FBI does not have enough personnel to decide on the potential matches on name checks that are pending
d) the fact that legal immgirants have paid taxes from the day they took up jobs in this country, an average of 5-6 years and that they are key contributors to the America's competitivenes in the global economy. Therefore, legal immigrants should not be subject to undue delays in name check processing. Once we are past the green card line we can devote our energies to starting up the next Google or Yahoo and create billions of dollars of wealth for USA.

I am hoping there are at least 99 more individuals who join me in this quest.

Chevalblanc - the white horse (who never gives up!)

Why the flood gates opened for I-485 filing

They wasted visa numbers in thousands, because they couldn't approve as many cases to fill the quota of year ( because many testcases got stuck in FBI namecheck backlog ). Now the applicant numbers are increased , so they should see increased number of applicants clearing FBI namecheck sooner ( less than 1 year ) and thus claiming 140K EB numbers of a year.

Validity of NC

I had to go through a NC on March for another visa that I had approved. My question is how long is a NC valid for? It took 30 days to pass the NC, will this have any influence on a new NC for my current I485?

Just checking ...

Can someone share what happens after the biometrics taken? Is there something that we would need to send to FBI or the ASC will forward your prints to FBI directly? Also, does anyone know the min time it took for the FBI to complete NC - I know people are stuck in this NC for year together. I was trying to understand the extremely best case scenario?