Stuck in Name Check??? Let's track it

Research

Most of your questions will be answered by the following links. I found out mine through INFOPASS appointment.

http://www.fbi.gov/congress/congress03/garrity071003.htm
http://www.fbi.gov/hq/nationalnamecheck.htm
http://www.fbi.gov/page2/nationalnamecheck.htm

HTH,

Hi Folks,

After having waited for years, just got out of the vacuum called BEC a couple of months ago. Then, USCIS gave me an early Christmas bonus by allowing me to apply for 485 in June. So, wife and I are getting ready for it.

I am trying to get myself educated as much about this step as possible. Looks like Name Check has the potential for becoming the next vacuum for us. It is disheartening that even after four years, we may end up waiting years more before experiencing freedom. Sigh!

So, I am posing some generic questions. I know that some of these questions require speculative answers, but am still trying to gain the knowledge from some experienced members:

1) Wife and I are from India. In each of our cases, one part of the name is common while another is not. As a result, the full name is uncommon for each of us. Does the NC seem to be based on full name or on each part of the name (i.e. first and last)? Or does it not even matter and it just seems to be based on the luck of the draw?

2) What percentage of Indians get stuck in NC? (I know this is speculative but any educated guesses?)

3) What seems to trigger NC?

4) How soon before we find out if any of us are stuck in NC?

5) What are the sources of this info?
- Online (Does LUD also say the reason for the update?)
- INFOPASS (Is there a timeline to wait after applying before requesting an INFOPASS appointment?)
- telephone
- any other

5) I am the primary applicant. Will USCIS not process if either of us are stuck in NC or will they not process if only I am stuck in NC?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Folks,

After having waited for years, just got out of the vacuum called BEC a couple of months ago. Then, USCIS gave me an early Christmas bonus by allowing me to apply for 485 in June. So, wife and I are getting ready for it.

I am trying to get myself educated as much about this step as possible. Looks like Name Check has the potential for becoming the next vacuum for us. It is disheartening that even after four years, we may end up waiting years more before experiencing freedom. Sigh!

So, I am posing some generic questions. I know that some of these questions require speculative answers, but am still trying to gain the knowledge from some experienced members:

1) Wife and I are from India. In each of our cases, one part of the name is common while another is not. As a result, the full name is uncommon for each of us. Does the NC seem to be based on full name or on each part of the name (i.e. first and last)? Or does it not even matter and it just seems to be based on the luck of the draw?

2) What percentage of Indians get stuck in NC? (I know this is speculative but any educated guesses?)

3) What seems to trigger NC?

4) How soon before we find out if any of us are stuck in NC?

5) What are the sources of this info?
- Online (Does LUD also say the reason for the update?)
- INFOPASS (Is there a timeline to wait after applying before requesting an INFOPASS appointment?)
- telephone
- any other

5) I am the primary applicant. Will USCIS not process if either of us are stuck in NC or will they not process if only I am stuck in NC?

Thanks in advance.
lucky --clear NC in 2-6 weeks...

average --6-8 months

unlucky --12-18 months

god save them -- 18-36 months

i recommend people to assume that your case will take atleast 8-10 months.....and stop waiting for it....try to live your life with the assumption that you will get it after 12 months...

120 days?

Most of your questions will be answered by the following links. I found out mine through INFOPASS appointment.

http://www.fbi.gov/congress/congress03/garrity071003.htm
http://www.fbi.gov/hq/nationalnamecheck.htm
http://www.fbi.gov/page2/nationalnamecheck.htm

HTH,

Thanks for this information. This states that most cases are completed in less than 120 days. But, there are people here who have been waiting for years for name check to clear. How can that be?

Thanks for this information. This states that most cases are completed in less than 120 days. But, there are people here who have been waiting for years for name check to clear. How can that be?

uh... well... about 20% of namechecks are pending more than a year.
just don't believe their numbers. Because they can give conflicting information in the same document.

What is the interest in keeping us waiting ???

Hi, I've been stuck in name check for more than 2 years, recently we were called for 2nd FP that gave us a little ( very little ) hope that the process could be, at least, moving forward.
There was a Bill introduced by Senator Obama ( http://www.aila.org/content/default.aspx?docid=21857 ) that I don't know if it was discussed or if it is part of the current immigration Bill under discussion at the Senate, however, I believe this is the way to enforce the FBI to provide a decision within a reasonable timeframe.
CIS Ombudsman, First Lady, WOM, do they really work ?
I would really appreciate if any of you have an update about this Bill.
Hereby my data, regards.

EB1
I485/1140 - 02/09/05
I140 - Approved 04/28/05
1st FP - August 2005
2nd FP - 05/03/07

NC clear without FP ??

I posted my profile a few posts back - here's a brief summary.
My PD is now current, 485 filed in May 2004 and NO FINGERPRINT yet !!
I took an infopass appointment last week in Newark, NJ office and the officer informed me that me and my wife's name checks are clear. I was surprised that NC is clear without an FP done ever. He said they are not dependent. If that is the case, what else is dependent on FBI FP? How long does it usually take to clear these FBI checks? please note that I am not referring to Name Checks as they are already completed. Any input would be appreciated.

Hi Folks,

If one is from India ( i don't think it is racial discrimination ) there are high chances of getting stuck in namecheck. This is based on my observation in forums , neighbors, workplace buddies.

Now June started, there will be a flood of applications from Indians and i think i will get a better sample to derive any statistics !

I wish somebody published such statistics covering all the applications.

Hi:

After NSC received the RFE response they posted an LUD that had this information in it:

"...You should expect to receive a written decision or written update within 60 days of the day we received your response unless fingerprint processing or an interview are standard parts of case processing and have not yet been completed, in which case you can use our processing dates to estimate when this case will be done."

OK, that's one heck of a line , but in my case does it imply that I can expect some decision in 60 days? My FP have been taken but I have not had any interview scheduled. My case info. is below. Based on this LUD, does it imply that my namecheck has started and/or cleared?

Thanks for any help.

soc_aus

Are background check and name check same thing?

Hi,
I called customer service and she opened a service request. I recently received the letter from USCIS saying something to the effect that processing of my case has been delayed because required investigation into my background is not complete yet.
I checked with TSC and was told that name check is pending. Although letter doesn't metnion the term "name check", I am assuming it means the same thing.
Has anyone else received similar letter in response to a service request?

Thanks

I have two general questions about name checks just out of curiosity for those of you who know that your cases have been delayed because of them:

1- Do most of you have 'common' names that may cross-check with many other applicants? (e.g. Rodriguez, Mohammed, etc) ????

2- Do most of you hail from countries that are considered high risk by the US? (e.g. Muslim countries, etc)?

Thanks for any info. It's way too early for me to know if my name is stuck in NC or not, but I want to be prepared for the possibility.

1. I think delays in name check process are a combination of different things. First of those is the fact that FBI is understaffed for the name check traffic. The process itself may not take too long but the time it takes for someone to start looking at your name check request in FBI is the main killer. Common name could be a factor but the sheer number of name check is bogging down FBI.
2. I see lot of people from non-Muslim countries stuck in NC although if you are a Muslim, be prepared to be stuck in it more than others.

I would suggest that minute processing dates for your case are crossed by your service center, take in infopass and also call your service senter to find out if you might be stuck in NC. good luck!

I have two general questions about name checks just out of curiosity for those of you who know that your cases have been delayed because of them:

1- Do most of you have 'common' names that may cross-check with many other applicants? (e.g. Rodriguez, Mohammed, etc) ????

2- Do most of you hail from countries that are considered high risk by the US? (e.g. Muslim countries, etc)?

Thanks for any info. It's way too early for me to know if my name is stuck in NC or not, but I want to be prepared for the possibility.

1. I think delays in name check process are a combination of different things. First of those is the fact that FBI is understaffed for the name check traffic. The process itself may not take too long but the time it takes for someone to start looking at your name check request in FBI is the main killer. Common name could be a factor but the sheer number of name check is bogging down FBI.
2. I see lot of people from non-Muslim countries stuck in NC although if you are a Muslim, be prepared to be stuck in it more than others.

I would suggest that minute processing dates for your case are crossed by your service center, take in infopass and also call your service senter to find out if you might be stuck in NC. good luck!

I beg to disagree with the statement "if you are a Muslim, be prepared to be stuck in it more than others." Nowhere says FBI that it gives special attention to people belonging to any specific race or religion.

For every Muslim that you find stuck in namecheck for more than the average time, I think you can find a non-Muslim who is stuck in the namecheck for more than the average time (If you have statistics to prove otherwise, please share).

Let us accept the fact that we all are suffering regardless of which race, ethnicity, religion, or national origin we belong to.

I beg to disagree with the statement "if you are a Muslim, be prepared to be stuck in it more than others." Nowhere says FBI that it gives special attention to people belonging to any specific race or religion.

For every Muslim that you find stuck in namecheck for more than the average time, I think you can find a non-Muslim who is stuck in the namecheck for more than the average time (If you have statistics to prove otherwise, please share).

Let us accept the fact that we all are suffering regardless of which race, ethnicity, religion, or national origin we belong to.

While I have no statistics to prove otherwise, I would be careful not to put too much faith in the "equal opportunity" mantras coming out of the Dept of Homeland Security. One major example is the NSEERS program. Another personal example is a friend of mine who was born in a majority Muslim country but is not Muslim himself. He was stuck in name check for a while. One day he called (I guess the FBI) and, when told that he was still stuck in name check, he told them that he's not a Muslim but a Christian. The person on the line said that it didn't matter, and that they don't look at factors like that when examining applicants, and thus the conversation ended. However, the very next day, his name check cleared. Coincidence? Who knows? But either way, that's what happened.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
I called customer service and she opened a service request. I recently received the letter from USCIS saying something to the effect that processing of my case has been delayed because required investigation into my background is not complete yet.
I checked with TSC and was told that name check is pending. Although letter doesn't metnion the term "name check", I am assuming it means the same thing.
Has anyone else received similar letter in response to a service request?

Thanks

I also received a similar letter from TSC but I am not sure what it means. I have been waiting for over 90 days after responding back to an RFE on my I-140 for Ability to Pay.

Name Check Cleared but Not

Today morning I went to USCIS office ( INFOPASS). I was told that they see three requests made for my name check.

1st Mar 2004 Still Pending
2nd May 2005 Processed
3rd May 2005 Processed.

As per the lady the most recent should supersede but for some reason their system still show overall as pending..

One of my friends (claiming FBI contacts) was telling that both age and the country of origin could matter. However, carefully studying multiple FBI documents on the Internet, I understood that it depends on the number and quality of database hits (how well does the record match or not match your profile).

Speaking about Muslims, I think Russians are in the same boat... Every Russian friend having their friends waiting for GC tells the same story - no Russian GC applicant waits for less than 2 years.

While I have no statistics to prove otherwise, I would be careful not to put too much faith in the "equal opportunity" mantras coming out of the Dept of Homeland Security. One major example is the NSEERS program. Another personal example is a friend of mine who was born in a majority Muslim country but is not Muslim himself. He was stuck in name check for a while. One day he called (I guess the FBI) and, when told that he was still stuck in name check, he told them that he's not a Muslim but a Christian. The person on the line said that it didn't matter, and that they don't look at factors like that when examining applicants, and thus the conversation ended. However, the very next day, his name check cleared. Coincidence? Who knows? But either way, that's what happened.