STRIVE Act updates

This is mainly related to temporary foreign workers (H1) and less related to GC process.

H1B increase is killing the viability of this Bill methinks, as the article notes.

If only there was no War in Iraq , the focus would have been primarily on immigration reform....alas!

And then....

There is now the possibility of a fight with Iran.

So remind me once again, why did they go to Iraq? Is osama and saddam refer to the same person?

H1B increase is killing the viability of this Bill methinks, as the article notes.

If only there was no War in Iraq , the focus would have been primarily on immigration reform....alas!

I am with you. Today, immigration is secondary priority in senate and house. More, legal immigration has no priority at all :mad:

Two Main Things We Must Ponder

There is a reasonable chance that this bill will fade, if then what?

There is also a reasonable chance that the immigration reform endeavor will be broken up into 2 separate bills(if this year is a stalemate), one dealing primarily with illegal immigration including enforcement (as enforcement is mostly to curb illegals) and another with legal immigration.
This is a scary scenario mostly because illegals have legal Hispanics to fight for them and they have the numbers, meaning they have the votes to change political representation and dialogue, but we legals do not have enough clout to do anything and the second bill will just collect dust.
If only we had an Asian senator or Congressman broaching the topic (of legals) once in a while things may move a tad faster.

Hi all,

The Coalition for Comprehensive Immigration Reform (CCIR) has announced today (3/28) and Thursday (3/29) will be National Call-In Days in support of the Security Through Regularized Immigration and a Vibrant Economy (STRIVE) Act of 2007.

Here’s the official announcement:

Greetings,

Wednesday, March 28 & Thursday, March 29 are NATIONAL CALL-IN DAYS in support of comprehensive immigration reform.

Congressmen Luis Gutierrez (D-IL) and Jeff Flake (R-AZ) have just introduced bipartisan comprehensive immigration reform legislation. The immigration debate is moving forward and Congress needs to hear from you!

Call this number and follow the instructions to connect to your members of Congress:

1-800-417-7666

Tell your representative that we NEED COMPREHENSIVE IMMIGRATION REFORM NOW! Comprehensive immigration reform is the solution to fixing our broken immigration system, and now is the time to act. Families, workers, and communities across the country are counting on Congress to get it done, get it right, and do it now.

You can help make it happen with your phone call. JOIN THE EFFORT!

Source: http://www.knightopia.com/journal/?p=674
I hope all of you who encourage the STRIVE ACT 2007 would join the effort try to make this happen.
Thanks And Hope for the Best!

There is a reasonable chance that anything may happen however much you ponder....:p So let's not ponder. Let's sit tight. If you have any specific suggestions for action, let's do that; like making that call as given by the post above....

There is a reasonable chance that this bill will fade, if then what?

There is also a reasonable chance that the immigration reform endeavor will be broken up into 2 separate bills(if this year is a stalemate), one dealing primarily with illegal immigration including enforcement (as enforcement is mostly to curb illegals) and another with legal immigration.
This is a scary scenario mostly because illegals have legal Hispanics to fight for them and they have the numbers, meaning they have the votes to change political representation and dialogue, but we legals do not have enough clout to do anything and the second bill will just collect dust.
If only we had an Asian senator or Congressman broaching the topic (of legals) once in a while things may move a tad faster.

so what's going on with this bill?
when is congress going to reconvene, and more importantly what's the calendar for this bill?

anyone, anyone...

so what's going on with this bill?
when is congress going to reconvene, and more importantly what's the calendar for this bill?

anyone, anyone...

This bill is up for debate and voting come July, while the Senate bill which is now being written this week is up for debate come mid May..therefore entire passage will be by August...........Dont give up hope, but I think this is the year......the Dems are on the ball with this, with some backing from the Rep. Those opposing a bill is limited this time around.

If there is no controversy, this time line is looks ok. But the million dollars questions about the issue of "Path to citizenship to 14 Millions illegals". At this moment, both the sides are pulling rope tight. Negotiation will kill time (we seen last years). Of course, this years democrats are ruling in Congress, but they have some members opposing amnesty. They need 60% support to file MOC.

Most unfortunate part is that one controversy (path to citizenship to illegals) is holding all other important national interests like Border Security, Nations Competitiveness, Business necessity etc.

This bill is up for debate and voting come July, while the Senate bill which is now being written this week is up for debate come mid May..therefore entire passage will be by August...........Dont give up hope, but I think this is the year......the Dems are on the ball with this, with some backing from the Rep. Those opposing a bill is limited this time around.

150K applications in a day....
Shows that H-1b is no. 1 agenda, EB relief is a side issue at best. However this will push up the ante....
This is really crazy. Regular quota lasted for almost 2 months last year, but it has exhausted within a day this year. About 100K applicants will be kicked out after lottery. I can see strong lobbying comming from corporate America.

So they filled the quota in one day. I don't see that as a sign of any increase that will happen. If anything it may prompt USCIS and DOL to scrutinize the H1 sponsors more closely, especially those where 50%+ of their employees are on H1.
it's the similar situation to 1998. History can repeat.

it's the similar situation to 1998. History can repeat.
Except that in 1998 the job market was insanely better than it was now. Back then very few people were complaining about Indians or Chinese taking away their jobs.

But now, if I were an American and I learned about the cap being filled in a day, I'd be worried about a super-flood of incoming foreign workers if they increased the cap by a lot.

This latest bill proposes to implement increased scrutiny for H1 employers:
http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/04/03/HNsenateh1bbill_1.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Except that in 1998 the job market was insanely better than it was now. Back then very few people were complaining about Indians or Chinese taking away their jobs.

In fact, this latest bill proposes to implement increased scrutiny for H1 employers:
http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/04/03/HNsenateh1bbill_1.html

It is true 1998 was in boom, but there is clearly increase in H1 demand from 2006 to 2007. Actaul stats is more appealing to business leaders and politicians than what public voice says(and public voice which is anti h1 worker is not yet strong enough).

h1 increase can happen only if there is shortage of H1 supply which may hurt the business. Employers will definitely use this fact to lobby.

www.Immigration-law.com reported today that Senate Majority leader has set aside last two weeks for Immigration bill.

Still bill is not introduced to Senate.

04/04/2006: U.S. Senate Floor to Mark-Up for Comprehensive Immigration Reform bill in Mid-May 2007

* Report indicates that the Senate Majority Leader Reids has set aside the last two weeks of the Senate floor for the comprehensive immigration reform bill debate. The House floor schedule for the STRVE Act of 2007 has yet to be released, but it is likely that the immigration reform debate is expected to be heated up across the country both pro and con targeting at the Congress agenda. It is expected that there will be a hot contention between pro-immigrant and anti-immgirant legislators and between the Democrats and the Republicans on the floors of both houses towards the end of the month. We will see how these theatrical dramas will unfold this time.

Hopeful!!!

we hoped many times and were dissappointed many times... the last year senate bill being the last.

It will become another political rallying point for all with half the senate and president roles going to polls.

The +ve side is:

They need latino vote
They need corp dollars (Corps need workers)

The -ve side is:

Red neck congressmen from mid america
Race rhetoric clowns..

This time i am keeping my hopes low...