strange call from INS

aniretake

Registered Users (C)
I got a call today on my cell while i was at work. I did not pick up and decided to call later. A man picked up and identified himself as "INS, Dept. of Homeland Security". I said I was returning his call. He asked if I had any problems with them. I said no. He asked my name. I gave him my name. He said he was out of office (it was his cell phone i dialed, 678-xxx-xxxx), but he will check tomorrow.
Strange....

That is really strange. Even he was calling from INS, Dept. of Homeland Security, why would he gave you cell number to return his call instead his office number. Did he give you his name and ID # ?

Most likely an IO reviewing your case. Think about it, if you were an IO with 50 open cases, would you know the details of every case when someone called you back?

I had a phone call from them before right after my biometric and they said that
they could barely read the print of my birth certificate and if I could go back so they can make another copy or fax it over to them. So I called my Lawyer about it and my Lawyer fax it over to them instead and made sure it was the INS.

Most likely an IO reviewing your case. Think about it, if you were an IO with 50 open cases, would you know the details of every case when someone called you back?

Yes, I thought about it. Though i dont see often people posting here that IOs are calling them...especially from the cell.

They called my wife five times trying to verify that it was okay about me and her for the issue of my illegitimate child.
The supervisor called her job and made many conversations with my wife's secretary. Otherwise, they make those calls. I do not think it is in protocol but because of back ups, they sure can take care of some problems more faster.
I think so.

I find it strange that an officer says he is from INS when there is no INS anymore and it is USCIS. They just don't say that when working for USCIS. Also, I never heard off an officer placing call from his cell. The least they would be doing is, call from their office desk phone. I suggest you call the customer service and ask if IO's are calling customers lately

I heard they only call hot female applicants and ask them to meet at the Starbucks lol

USCIS or any Fed Agency usually communicates through U.S mail (letter). An agent calling from his mobile and saying he is from INS when there is no more INS is bit strange. Something similar happened to me few months ago when a female left me a voice mail on my cell claiming to be an IRS agent asking me to fax the correct spelling of my name, address, SSN and DOB because they lost the front page of my 2008 tax. They wanted that information within 24 hours or threatened to slap a penalty on me. I got little nervous at first but I didn’t fax anything and waited for an official letter from IRS. It’s been 3 months and haven’t heard anything from IRS. Already got my returns, no balance due. Then I heard on the news, around tax deadline, crooks start calling and fishing for Identity theft.

I would suggest you wait and see if they send you a letter requesting further material.

GUYS GUYS, they do call and they write down the time they did call. I was in the office BOBSMYTH can tell, the Supervisor called my wife's job over four times and called home like five times fortunately no one was picking up at home. He told my wife's secretary that "he is having her husband in the office, at Homeland Security and bla bla bla"
he called back and asked for the Supervisor they told him, she will call him back. he gave them the number of the officer reviewing the case which was an office number. But the secretary called my wife and told her. She told them not to call them back since she is the supervisor.
he asked for lots of stuff he should not have asked for but they have so much powers over Security that I do feel they are using it wrong but all I wanted was my Citizenship.
But they do. I was there with my own eyes.

Calling from a personal cell and mentioning INS, instead of USCIS. I smell a crook!

Last edited by a moderator:
Listen, I am not sure whether he said INS or USCIS. I could not hear clearly as I was driving. At first I thought IRS but when he said "Dept of Homeland Security"..... Anyway, I will wait and see what happens next.

Noman74, you are right - I AM a hot female! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of the posters here are really paranoid. It's easier to feed paranoia than to offer prudent advice.

Consider this:

• A seasoned IO with 20 years of experience may still refer to the agency as INS (old habits die hard).

• Some IOs are more efficient than others, and prefer to call applicants from their cell for quick answers. The faster they get an answer, the less files they have open. If an IO has 50 case files open, it's faster to call the applicant directly than to send out an RFE.

• Other posters have reported getting calls from IOs by cell, so this practice isn't something new.

Of course with any call you receive, make sure to get the IO's name. If someone calls you claiming to be INS and wants to know personal information without telling you what it's about, ask them if you can call back the office directly and go through the switchboard to reach them.

Is such an IO the IO who review the case to give out the yellow letter or
the IO who is going to give you theinterview?

Honestly I have no idea..it's anyone's guess what IO will handle your case at any given time during the process.

It unusual for USCIS to call. Be ready for a meeting in a parking lot. :)

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/21/nyregion/21immigrant.html

I got a call today on my cell while i was at work. I did not pick up and decided to call later. A man picked up and identified himself as "INS, Dept. of Homeland Security". I said I was returning his call. He asked if I had any problems with them. I said no. He asked my name. I gave him my name. He said he was out of office (it was his cell phone i dialed, 678-xxx-xxxx), but he will check tomorrow.
Strange....

Listen, I am not sure whether he said INS or USCIS. I could not hear clearly as I was driving. At first I thought IRS but when he said "Dept of Homeland Security"..... Anyway, I will wait and see what happens next.

Noman74, you are right - I AM a hot female! :)
In all seriousness, I would follow basic 'protect yourself' strategy. Not just with INS but any uninitiated calls, specially from unofficial phones such as personal cell phones.

Any IO worth his/her salt wont make calls using personal cell phones. It can be used against them as harassment (sexual or otherwise). They wont be walking around the floor/elevator with applicant information that they have to use cell phone to reach applicant.

And the question about 'if you had any trouble with them' bothers me. That sounds like he is fishing for something.

Follow simple things to protect yourself, just incase.

1. Always take other person FULL name, designation, badge/identifying number and office number to reach him/her before volunteering your information.

2. Do not give out your physical address or other identifying information. Name may be ok but only after #1 above.

3. Do not, at any cost, meet them at any address than the official business address. Not even in the parking lot of that business.

4. No matter how desperate you are, do not think they will help you in any way. Do not agree to any offers. It could be entrapment or the guy/gal trying to take advantage of you.

5. Note down the date/time of calls, who called (if you know) on a piece of paper as soon as it happens.

6. Finally, chill and don't lose sleep over this.

Some of this may sound extreme, and your situation may not be as complicated. But better safe than sorry.

It unusual for USCIS to call. Be ready for a meeting in a parking lot. :)

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/21/nyregion/21immigrant.html

Yes. I was just about to find this link to post it. The filthy IO who wanted sex and all kinds of stuff to issue a greencard. Worst of all, he was an immigrant himself. I have received a call from USCIS before, but the number was blocked so I couldn't really call back if I wanted to. ;)The gentleman told me that they had schedule me for interview and the letter will be in the mail, but this was after I had been to their offices that morning.

If anyone calls you on their cellphone, just call your cellphone company ask them to trace where the call was made, meaning the tower which send the signal. Assuming that they a local DO calling, then you can have a piece of mind. I know that hot females are target by nasty officers.:mad: So, you USC males, if an IO ask your wife's cell number to call, just go ahead and give it to him. Immediately after leaving the offices, switch cells with your wife and wait for any suspicious calls to your wife's phone. If he calls, tell him you can take a message as your wife is taking a bubble bath with coconut milk and raspeberries. Ask him to call in 20 minutes, when he calls, tell him she is rubbing your balls, he should hold for a minute, then pass the phone to your wife, and put it on speakerphone to hear what is going on...:eek: If you can record these calls for anything suspicious like meeting at Starbucks for update on the case, go ahead and set-up a sting operation. Small tape recorder can do damage to these person, especially because all of them are addicted to the honey in the hole...:(

Ask him to call in 20 minutes, when he calls, tell him she is rubbing your balls, he should hold for a minute, then pass the phone to your wife, and put it on speakerphone to hear what is going on...:eek:

I nearly fell out of my chair when I read that. Thanks for the Friday humor!:D