SS Card update

usaflyingeagle

Registered Users (C)
Hi

When you guys update the citizenship for SS card, will they issue you new card or just update the information in their database?(assuming that you already got a new one after I485 approval.)

Thanks for your inputs:)

P.S. By the way, will they accept PP Card as proof of citizenship?

Last edited by a moderator:
There is one circumstance in which they will issue a new card. I still have my original card obtained with my nonimmigrant status. It has a notation printed on it to the effect that it's not valid for work without DHS permission. Of course, I could have gotten this card replaced when I got my green card, but I never bothered. I believe many people are like me and don't bother to get a new SSN card when they become permanent residents. So I do expect to arrange to get a new SSN card when I visit SSA to inform them of my new USC status.

Hi

When you guys update the citizenship for SS card, will they issue you new card or just update the information in their database?(assuming that you already got a new one after I485 approval.)

Thanks for your inputs:)

P.S. By the way, will they accept PP Card as proof of citizenship?

You go to SSA office with US passport fill up the form and they will update the records and will send you new Card in 10-12 days and next time you renew your DL the MVA will have your SSN status updated.

I also got a new SSN card exactly same as the one i had when i had GC. Also they did not take my old card away.
So I have three cards. H1B, GC and Citizen.

They never gave me a new card when I updated, maybe because I already had a unrestricted card anyway.

Most likely it was lost in mailing. There is no such official process of updating yoru immigration status. You do that by "card replacement" process so that SSA must send you a new card regardless whether your current card has restriction or not

there are no hard and fast rules....

some get a new SSN card and some don't.

if you have changed your name as part of citiizenship process or after citizenship process, you would definitely get a new card with your new name on it.

if you didn't get an updated card (lifting restriction) after you became an LPR, then you would definitely get one.

at SSA office, they take your card and shred it or they will let you keep it and shred it.

if they let you keep it, then wait until you get your new card and you shred the old one......

I went to the SSA office today, with my new US passport and original SSN card, which had the restriction on it. (I never bothered to get an updated card on becoming LPR). The application process went smoothly. The SSA clerk confiscated the old card and gave me a receipt for it. She said I should expect the new card in 7-10 days, by mail.

do you have to get US passport first and then update DMV and SSA?
Or you can jut go with your certificate and get them updated?

I am sure you can update SSA with your naturalization certificate, probably also DDS (in Georgia it's separate from DMV). However I read somewhere that you should allow USCIS a week or two to update their database before you go to SSA. Otherwise, SSA won't be able to verify online that you're a USC now, and there will be a delay.

do you have to get US passport first and then update DMV and SSA?
Or you can jut go with your certificate and get them updated?

If you don't have name change, you can apply for your passport right after the Naturalization else you have to go to SSA first with your NC and after 72 hrs of applicaton you go to your DMV to get your new Id card and then you apply for passport.
The above rule may differ from state to state but that is the procedure in my state.

If you don't have name change, you can apply for your passport right after the Naturalization else you have to go to SSA first with your NC and after 72 hrs of applicaton you go to your DMV to get your new Id card and then you apply for passport.
The Naturalisation Certificate can serve as both the proof of citizenship and proof of identity; however, many post office clerks do not know about it, so they also want to see your driving licence/ID card. I changed my name during naturalisation, and when I was applying for the passport, the NC was the only document with my new name. The post office employee asked for an ID card and I showed him the copy of Dept of State website, but he remained unconvinced. So I just gave him my old driving licence with the old name, and it worked OK.

So I just gave him my old driving licence with the old name, and it worked OK.

It didn't work in my wife's case as she changed her maiden name to my last name, we have to follow the process that I described above . The DMV didn't give the new card with the new name till they found her SSA records were updated. The whole process got delayed just for the ID card.

It didn't work in my wife's case as she changed her maiden name to my last name, we have to follow the process that I described above . The DMV didn't give the new card with the new name till they found her SSA records were updated. The whole process got delayed just for the ID card.
In my case, the post office clerk said that the name change court order (that came with the naturalisation certificate) will take care of that.