Son US Citizen want to go to india

muthiahmerchant

I dont have a green card yet, My son is a US Citizen, has a passport with a 1 month old photo in it.

If we decide to go to India, do we need to keep updating his passport. When he is 18 yrs old and want to come back to US, how will they determine that the photo in the passport is my son.

Regards

I dont have a green card yet, My son is a US Citizen, has a passport with a 1 month old photo in it.

If we decide to go to India, do we need to keep updating his passport. When he is 18 yrs old and want to come back to US, how will they determine that the photo in the passport is my son.

Regards

This is not a real issue to be concerned about. That's like asking if a baby might someday be unable to get a driver's license. It's not like you will lock him in the basement until he turns 18. He will have a paper trail that builds throughout his life from medical records, school records, (hopefully not) police records, and various other forms of ID.

This is not a real issue to be concerned about. That's like asking if a baby might someday be unable to get a driver's license. It's not like you will lock him in the basement until he turns 18. He will have a paper trail that builds throughout his life from medical records, school records, (hopefully not) police records, and various other forms of ID.

Agreed, my only concern was that is there a process where the child needs to go to consulate once every couple of years for photograph or something else.

Thanks for your response.

Muthiah

Well, your son's passport is valid for 5 years or something, right? I'm sure, or I hope, you'll be renewing his passport every time it expires, so by the time he's older he'll have had several passports (at least 2 or 3), so he'll be growing in those. He'll be fine. The process works.

Well, your son's passport is valid for 5 years or something, right? I'm sure, or I hope, you'll be renewing his passport every time it expires, so by the time he's older he'll have had several passports (at least 2 or 3), so he'll be growing in those. He'll be fine. The process works.

US passport will be valid for 5 years. His father/mohter can renew his US passport through US consulate/Embassy in India. Child should get Social Security Number. Take Child Birth certifice (2-3 Certifed copes). To stay in India child can get PIO Card that is valid for 15 years.

A US citizen, which your son is a US citizen, doesn't need any documents to return to his home country! If anything, he can go 18 years from now to the US consulate and request a passport based on his birth record. It will take them a little time to verify everything, but I wouldn't worry about not able to come back to the US.