Sisters visitor visa pending administrative processing --- Help !!

Method of letting us know ?

Radha,

Any idea how they will let us know ? Will it be via email ? Or will they call ? Have you found anything on the forum regarding this....I have asked my sister to check her email everyday - but was just wondering.

- avdxz

Even am not sure

I really don't know. I guess its good idea to check emails daily. Never know whats in store. But i heard cases getting calls but again notting is clear. Lets keep our fingers crossed
Radha

Update

As we talk about the mode of communication, my parents received a Email saying that they couldnt open the word document attached for technical reasons and asked to send it again as a notepad attachment. I guess that makes it clear, they can't be here for my graduation :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
It took them 9 working days to open the email. So we can say it will take atleast another 10 working days to look at the email .
Radha

dissappointing definitely

radha,

that is indeed dissappointing. god only knows what goes on behind the black box...we can only hope.

just get yourself occupied with something else...difficult but necessary to keep your sanity.

will keep you updated.

- avdxz

called DOS

radha,

i called DOS this morning...and the VO told me that the case was still under "processing". i tried to press him a little for more info. as to any idea when the processing will be completed etc. He said - no idea (expected, ofcourse).
atleast it has reached DOS - which is an encouraging sign, i suppose. he asked me to call once a week...so i think i will call next Wednesday - if we havent heard anything till then (which i doubt we will - given that it is still under processing).
some questions he asked:
- do you have a case #: no, but i have her passport number
- hold on: ....sure
- what is applicant's name: ...name
- is this your relative: yes
- what is applicant's DOB: ..... gave DOB
- where was applicant born:.... gave POB.
then told me...case under processing...

-avdxz

Upcoming holidays/closures at Mumbai Consulate.... :(

In addition to waiting indefinitely, the following upcoming holidays/closures at Mumbai consulate are going to make things worse.

April 8 - 2nd Friday
April 14 - Local holiday for Dr Ambedkar Jayanti
April 18 - Ram Navami
April 22 - 4th Friday

The consulate is closed to public on 2nd and 4th Friday of each month.

I wonder if they still do admin processing such as calling up people and sending emails.

Considering that even after the re-interview, the passport takes 3-4 days to reach our homes, travelling on April 26th kind of seems out of question unless the re-interview happens by April 20th :( Too many equations in the picture.

So the wait continues.
- avdxz

Similar situation

My parenent went to get the Visitor visa on 6th and are in similar hagning situation. However, the lady in the Window did not give them any 221 form. They took their passports and DD's and were asked to fillout the self addressed envelopes.
My dad works for NFC associated with BARC and was asked to send his resume to mantiscables@state.gov..

Any update on either one of your relatives cases?

No update yet...but keep in touch

ravi,

your situation is similar to radha_78's. send the resume and references and then wait for email/call from consulate.

also keep updating thru this forum...it helps everyone.

for my sis, she was given a 221g and her passport was given back alongwith yellow envelope containing drafts. she was told that they will get back to her once they complete "adminstrative processing". No additional docs or resume asked for. She had carried her resume with her...maybe thats why.

radha and myself are waiting since march 23rd...

you can read the story so far in earlier updates. let us know if you hear anything from the consulate. we will do the same.

- avdxz

Got call from consulate

Guys,

Some news is better than none.....my sis got a call from the consulate (mumbai) on Monday (IST) afternoon. They have asked her to come to the consulate any day at 10:00 am. She will be going on Tuesday.

Will let you know what happens and the details. We are now praying for a smooth visa issuance.

- avdxz

Good luck

Well Thats true, I kept myself busy(trying to). I was tempted to log into this forum but resisted my feelings. Seems like its working well soo far. I totally agree with you the good sign is atleast it reached DOS. Well I guess you should be able to hear in a week or so... atleast this keeps our hopes live. I was planning on calling consulate this weekend. but i know their steroe typed answers(atleast from the forum members past experience). Anyways lets keep our fings crossed. Keep posting the updates. I think your advice is working out good to me, felt nice talking to you its helping me not to frustrate too much.
Good luck
Radha

Going on Tuesday (India time)

radha,

I know...it helps to even hear one line from someone out there. My sis is going on Tuesday (April 12th) 10:00 am India Time. I will let you guys know how it went once I hear from her.

Btw, I had called DOS on Thursday (US Time) morning aroun 8 am PST. But had got a "under processing" reply. So either they just told me some stereotype thing or they worked on Friday to send the reply to consulate.

radha, why dont you call up DOS (Washington) instead of the consulate. They ask for passport numbers. Atleast you will come to know if the case has reached Washington. See my earlier post for info on this.

Keep your fingers crossed.

-avdxz

call or not to call

Well even am tempted to call them but am sure it wouldn't have reached DOS as its been just a working day since the re-submission. Good to hear about your sister. I can imagine how good it feels to hear from them.
I really doubt if the DOS would have sent it to consulate on friday (btw wasn't friday holiday in india) May be they would have issued donkey mantis which does not require clearance from DOS. ANyways whatever it is.. good to hear from them. keep us update.. I will waiting for your good news.

Ravi,
DId your parents send Email. When was this? cable mantis is in a way good and in a way bad in the sense if lucky you will get your parents visa within 5-6 working days.. however there are cases where its been more than 3 weeks. there were couple of links posted by avdx on this thread which had some info on cable mantis. Keep us updated.
Good luck

who did you send email to

radha,

Who were you asked to send the email to ? Was it consulate or the same email id as Ravi was asked to send to ?

Ravi's case looks to be a Visa Mantis itself. Btw, all of our cases seem to fall under "Donkey" Mantis as from what I understood after reading all the material (and my eyes are still aching :) ) was that the "Eagle" mantis is used only in case of USG (United States Govt) sponsored candidates.

About calling DOS, yes, if its been only 1 day or so, call after 3-4 working days.

Looks like I am still addicted to this forum...and will stay so for a few more days - in case anyone reading this needs any further info.

- avdxz

good to see you updating

Yea, thats true. It would be soo exciting to see some news coming your way. I bet you must be waiting when will the tuesday be.. well isn't it in another couple of hours, your sister attending interview? I was excited and felt happy for your sister. Infact I tried to call you but it said not reachable. Anyways.. good to hear from you. lets wait to hear from your sister.
Radha

My dad sent the email on the same day they went to Embassy ( April 6th ). Why would you say that they may get it in 5 to 6 working days?
I am asking because the lady at the counter has given some kind of assurance to my parents that they should get it in 1 to 2 weeks. however, all the information I am gathering on these forums contradict the statement. Let me tell you, there is overwhelming info on these issues and hard to get proper sense out of it. I was doing this when I was waiting for my GC about 4 years back and its like Deja Vu all over again.

Is there a way I can contact the DOS here in US?

Thanks to both you!

Ravi

I called DOS today

Well I have heard cases where they sent mail to cablemantis took not more than 4 to 5 working days. Specially for Visitors visa they, I guess they just need the basic info on file. Anyways lets hope for the best. For DOS # is posted in this thread you can try calling them. I called Dos and they said case is pending and they don't know how long it might take. :(. I would be happpy had they said its process but they said its pending. am kinda little worried now. Anyways lets keep our fingers crossed.
Good luck

AVDX.. what happened to your sisters interview. did you hear from her? keep us posted.
Radha

Sister got visa..finally !

hi radha, ravi and all,

I have some good news to share. My sister went for her "re"-interview on Tuesday morning (IST) - and she was granted her visa. The reinterview was really short - all they asked wsa this:
- So are you going to your sister's place ?: Yes
- You are also going to present a paper ?: Yes, in Baltimore in June.
- How many days back had you come for the first interview ?: little more than 2 weeks.
- Has anything changed in your application since then ?: No. Everything is the same.
- Your husband isnt going with you ?: No.
- Congratulations, we are granting you the visa. You will get your passports via courier in 3-4 business days.

We dont know as yet what the duration of the visa is - but frankly, even if it is 6 months, I am more than happy.

Here is the synopsis of our experience:
Interview Date: March 23rd (Mumbai Consulate)
Visa kept "Pending Administrative Processing"...asked to fill questionnaire, lots of questions asked and passport returned with "Application Received" stamp.
Called DOS from US on April 7th - got response "pending/under processing".
Got call from Consulate on April 11th (11 business days from first interview).
Got visa on April 12th
Awaiting passport.

Will update duration of visa when we get the passport.

Good luck everyone else... I will check this forum for a few more days in case anyone has any questions.

Radha, hang in there....good things happen to good people. Since it is now in DOS, it will come in 10-11 days just like ours, I am sure.

- avdxz