Sisters visitor visa pending administrative processing --- Help !!

avdxz

Registered Users (C)
Hi Guys,

After months of preparations and a loooonngg wait for the visa interview, my sister went for her interview this morning (March 23rd). Her Visa was not outright rejected...but the consular officer said he has to keep it "pending administrative processing"...whatever that means :(

She is a Phd in Biochemistry and wants to come to US for a conference to present a paper. She is applying for a B1 visa.

We are very dissappointed and wanted to know from anyone who may have had the same experience -
- What happens next ? They said they will contact in 10 days....do they really do that ?
- Should we send a mail to them in another 5-6 days ? Or is it better to wait for them to contact ?
- Anyone had this experience with visitor visas before - we thought this happened only with B1/F1....
- Any experience with whether the visa has been approved/rejected after the administrative processing ?

Please please please respond....

avdxz

Please help....anyone in similar situation....221(g)

Hi Folks,

Please help...we are getting very anxious...anyone in similar situation - 221(g) received ? Did anyone's parents/relatives get this 221(g) and then get the visa !

Please help.

avdxz

avdxz said:
Hi Guys,

After months of preparations and a loooonngg wait for the visa interview, my sister went for her interview this morning (March 23rd). Her Visa was not outright rejected...but the consular officer said he has to keep it "pending administrative processing"...whatever that means :(

She is a Phd in Biochemistry and wants to come to US for a conference to present a paper. She is applying for a B1 visa.

We are very dissappointed and wanted to know from anyone who may have had the same experience -
- What happens next ? They said they will contact in 10 days....do they really do that ?
- Should we send a mail to them in another 5-6 days ? Or is it better to wait for them to contact ?
- Anyone had this experience with visitor visas before - we thought this happened only with B1/F1....
- Any experience with whether the visa has been approved/rejected after the administrative processing ?

Please please please respond....

avdxz
There are good chances based on education and bad chances based on family ties in US. (Brother is in US, sister may not come back to home country)

...guess we just have to wait !

Guess we just have to wait it out....hope that the wait is really the 10/12 days. I am her sister in the US...unmarried, permanent resident, been here for 5+ years and not even a traffic violation....hope that helps in whatever namecheck or background check they do.

one thing that I think might be affecting her case is that she has a PhD in Biochemistry and she did it from BARC....this is on the TAL. So maybe they are doing some namecheck procedure. She doesnt work in that field now....but you never know how thats percieved.

Anyone has any ideas on how the Mantis program works...

avdxz

H2 Visa Refusal Under 221(g)

My parents were refused visa and were handed a 221(g) form yesterday, They handed out a form, which had the list of documents and personal information history and asked them to Email ASAP. They said, process may take indefinite time and it will not be started until this email is recieved. Did any1 expierenced before? What are the chances of getting visa for my parents? Please share your comments.
Thanks

search forum for parents case

Hi,

While I was searching for some info on this site for my sister's case....I had come across some posts with a similar situation as your parents...try searching the post for "adminstrative processing", "221" etc. I think the posts were old but it might still have some valuabel info.

For my sis, the situation is a little different....221(g) wasnt due to incomplete/additional docs...we are supposing that its due to security - her being in the senstive areas listed in TAL.

best way would be for your parents to collect all docs requested, send the email as soon as possible and then wait for the response.

Somehow, in our case, they said it will take 10-12 business days...so I am wondering if they just give some random number.

- avdxz

which consulate

hi,

Also, which consulate did your parents go to ? When was it ?

My sis went to Mumbai consulate and she said there were a lots of apps with the 221(g) problem...she talked to a couple of people who had that....

Yup -- sounds like her background would constitute a hit under TAL.

Timings have been varied .... typically around 30-45 days. I don't remember anyone clearing this in 10 days.

I think her visa would be issued once this check is completed .... and I don't think you have an option but to wait it out - sorry.

Chennia

Well my parents went to chennia, though most of the times 221(g) is for insufficient docs, i am assuming its due to security reasons as my mom works in areonautical industry and she was a bit nerverous and goofed up her response for job profile.
Thanks for your reply. I greatly appreciate any info/help on this.
Thanks again

Some new info from AILA meeting on March 18th

Hi max...

I found some new info from the AILA meeting posted by Rajiv Khanna. See link.

http://www.immigration.com/fromtheagency/Aila_Conf_2005.pdf

It says : SAOs are taking 45 days and Visas Mantis clearances are taking only 2 weeks or so...so perhaps thats the reason my sis was told 10-12 business days....ofcourse this is all speculation...we never know what they are going to do in the background. So I am just hopeful :) The visa officer did ask my sis when she is planning to travel....

radha....
Hang in there...everything will turn out fine. we just have to wait and see...i will keep sharing any info i find - or if the miracle of 10 days response really does happen.

- avdxz

My father used to work for an explosives factory. He retired almost 13 yrs ago. My mother is a homemaker.
They have an appt in Delhi and I was wondering if they too will have problems with the visa. Esply, since they are asking for the DS-156 form if you are applying in Delhi.

DS 156 required at all consulates

jasmine,

DS 156 is required for ALL applicants anywhere in the world. It is just not at Delhi consulate.
The most important thing at the time of interview is that your father is able to prove that he has nothing to do with explosives anymore - in case they ask....since he is retired now, that shouldnt be a problem. Was it military related....if yes, then they migth ask him some questions abotu his actual role....if he was on adminstrative side, it may be easier.

I think in case of older parents, the more important question is "will they settle in US"....so ask them to go prepared for the same.

Rest all is in GOD's hands. All the best.

avdxz

Thanks avdxz...... my father used to work for an industrial explosives company. He was in research so I was wondering if he may have problems.
I am planning to ask them to take house docs and pics of family to prove their ties to home.
Hoping for the best.

Avdx:
Seems like your sister has a case of eagle mantis check, which says that after 10 days suspension, consulate can issue visa without waiting for reply from SAO. I guess your sister should be okay. should be able to hear a positive response in 10-12 days.
good luck
P.S: i just found out my parents case is hit by TAL (as most others in sam organization are facing this :( .
do post the results.
Radha

just have to wait

radha,

hmmm....looks like we both are in the same boat - our cases hit TAL....so now its just a wait for clearances. Only difference is that my sis wasnt asked for any further documentation....

Ya, most likely it will be a Mantis...dont know which one - the difference between Eagle and Donkey not very clear from whatever I have managed to read up yesterday.

But I did find an interesting document on the GAO website...it explains the process of SAO and Mantis...it was nice to know what might be happening in the background while we wait .... I am hoping to hear something in the next 2 weeks (by Apil 8th)....

Here is the link. http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d05198.pdf

Lets keep posting each other....

- avdxz

Was your sister's passport given back?

Thanks for the link. It was very useful. Atleast now its good that we will be getting back response in 10-15 days. I am really not sure why they have to give 221(g) for B2 visa when sole purpose of trip is visiting and pleasure. Btw was your sisters passport and DD returned to her or was it with the consulate. In my parents case they kept the passport and DDs and said email the bio data and reference lists ASAP and then the processing starts. Anyways thanx for the info.

Last edited by a moderator:
Passport and Issuance fee DD given back.

Hey,

You are welcome :) It always helps to share info, doesnt it.

Well, in my sister's case, they returned all passports (hers and her kids') and the visa issuance fee DDs to her. They kept the visa application DD ofcourse. She has been told to get the same DDs (which they returned) and the payment receipt of the other DD (which they kept) for her next time.

I suppose in your parents case, they only need some additional info to issue the visa and perhaps no clearance is reqd. So they might have retained the passports with them. Speculation, ofcourse :) But I think you should take that as an encouraging sign :D Once your parents have the necessary info and send the email, it should be quick processing.

I think this visa thing just drives everyone crazy - especially in such "suspense periods". My sis is pretty stressed out...I keep telling her to be patient and that the visa will come through. I hope I am right :) Till then, one day at a time.

avdxz

One thing I forgot to mention....

Radha,

I re-read your post and you said they have asked for the biodata and reference lists. My sister was asked for the same too...fortunately, she had taken those with her for the first interview itself...she thought of just keeping it with her at the last moment - thank GOD for her instincts :)

I will suggest one thing.... when your dad gives references, also ask him to inform those references about the situation - in case Consulate decides to contact them (rare!) so that they are not surprised.

- avdxz

Thanks for the suggestion

AVDXZ;
thanks for your encouraging words, even i thought they might just need some more info, instead a check. I don't see why they have to suspend it for visitors visa. When I read the document you mentioned in the link, it said visa mantis is primarily for business visas, J1, F1 and H1, I dunno... anyways lets hope for the best. BTW any updates from your side... well the referencees are aware of the situation and they have a copy of bio data and work profile we sent to consulate.... I will be gald if they hear from consulate in next week or 2. I want them to be here for my graduation :(
lets hope for the best.

No further news --- waiting game continues

Hi Radha,

Great ! Since the referencees already know, I think you have all bases covered... now just a little patience - and that will do the trick ...I know I know its very difficult to be patient in this situation :) I am screaming at my apt walls twice a day these days (ok, just kidding) :)

Btw, you are welcome...helping each other helps us to get thru :)

I am sure you will hear in a couple of weeks - since they are saying they clear the sec check in 14 days.... let me know if you do...that way, I can estimate how far/near we are from hearing from them.

Wish you luck for your parents early arrival to US. I will write as soon as I hear further...till then...wait and wait wait ...

- avdxz