Selective Service Registration.... FAQ

I had the same problem. I called Selected Service and we resolved it over the phone. They will be able to tell you which one is the number you should use. Call them.

No Reply from Selective Service

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone is in the same situation as mine. I sent a status request to the Selective Services on January 31 and have not heard back since then. When I tried to call them (at 1-847-688-6888) the line was constantly busy.

Your input would be appreciated.

I had mailed my request around mid Jan and received a letter from SSS after approx 2 months and 10 days. So it does take quite some time.

Are you positive you need anything from the Selective Service Board? It is not a common requirement. You only need it if you were in some kind of immigrant status (e.g., LPR, asylee) up to the age of 26. If you were a lawful non-immigrant at that age (i.e., almost any of the letter visa categories such as F, J, H), you will not need anything from the Selective Service Board.

Thank you, guys. Your input is really appreciated.

Since I got the green card after the age of 26 and has never stayed in the US illegally, I agree that most immigration officers will not even bother to ask about why I did not register. However, I heard about IOs asking this question and demanding the letter from the SSS even in the cases similar to mine. Granted this happens very seldom, as far as I know. Still, I prefer to be prepared. It took just one hour of my time to prepare the letter to the SSS.
Hopefully, they will answer it sooner ot later. As I wrote earlier, their line is always busy during their business hours, so I was not able to check with them why it takes them longer than promised 45 days to reply.

Just so we are clear, here is the first, and most important, part of Question 33 on the N-400, which relates to Selective Service registration:

33. Are you a male who lived in the United States at any time between your 18th and 26th birthdays in any status except as a lawful nonimmigrant?

For the vast majority of people on this forum, the answer to this question will be NO. If you were living in the US during that time period, and you had one of the "letter visas", such as B, F, J, H, L, etc., you were a lawful nonimmigrant. As a lawful nonimmigrant you had absolutely no obligation to register with the Selective Service Board. You do not need a letter from the Selective Service Board to verify this. You only need to make sure that you were in lawful nonimmigrant status at that time.

Exceptions to this are people who got their GCs through the DV lottery and moved to the US before the age of 26, or others who received their GCs before the age of 26. In those cases it makes sense to get a letter indicating that you were not contacted by the Selective Service for registration and you were unaware of the obligation, or whatever the case might be.

If you have a green card now and are under the age of 26 now, you will have to register with the SSS, before your application for naturalization will be approved. You may need to bring proof of that registration to your interview.

And if you're a woman, this DOES NOT apply to you at all. The first four words of question 33 read, "Are you a male...?"

Hope this helps.

Just an update.

I received today (finally!) the reply from the Selective Services.
I sent the request on January 31, 2009. They received it on February 2, 2009
The letter friom the Selective Service is dated March 30th, 2009. I received it today, April 3rd, 2009.

All attempts during the last week to get through to them on a phone were unsuccessful- the lines was always busy.

I have two suggestions:

1) it might be useful if other participants could also share their timeline in dealing with the Selective Service.

2) Currently, I would probably wit at leats two months before I started bothering them on a phone. Perhaps, their line is always busy because of too many calls.

I am 39 years of age: Do I need the Selective Service Letter?

Greetings,

I am a 39 years old male who entered the U.S. on 1992 in San Francisco. (I was 22 at the time). I immediately applied for asylum, and in 1997 my case was approved (I was 27 at that time).

I waited a year (1998) to apply for my Green Card. Unfortunately my case (for some odd reason) got transferred to another city by mistake. (Los Angeles). When I realized that it has been sent to the wrong district, I immediately had them send it back to San Francisco, and eventually got my green card in 2004. (I was 34)

Until about a month ago, I was COMPLETELY unaware of Selective Services. (All I knew was that I could apply for my Social Security Card, Driver's License and EAD.)

Well, it is 2009 now (I am 39) and I am about to send in my application for Naturalization, and I need to know the following please:

1) What should I answer this question (Selective Service form): REASON WHY YOU FAILED TO REGISTER WITH SELECTIVE SERVICE UPON REACHING AGE 18 AND BEFORE REACHING AGE 26?

2) Do I need to write an additional affidavit letter (notarized) stating why I failed to register? (and send it along with my N400 application and/or take it to the interview?)

3) Which documents should I take with me to the interview?

4) Will I be asked the reason for which I failed to register with Selective Service at the interview?

5) How long will it take for the Selective Service to send me back this letter? (do I send the original, make a copy, etc.)

I sincerely, honestly and utterly was not aware of Selective Service.

I would really appreciate your help. Thanks in advance!

It's no big deal. if you were a permanent resident between the age of 18 and 26 you should have registered, but I believe that's not your case since you seem to have become a PR at 34.

Usually, if you failed to register, and you are over 26, and believe me when I say that you wouldn't be the first one, you have to get a status letter from the Selective Service System (you can get it online on their website, whose link I am not allowed to post here as I have fewer than 15 posts). They ask you to explain why you failed to register, but it can be a reason as simple as "I was not aware that I had to register," which was my explanation.

But again, I m not sure all this applies to you as you became a resident way after your 26th birthday, but if you want to make sure just contact them and ask for a status letter. I did it before and it usually takes a few weeks. I gave my status letter to a school I was attending a few years ago as universities and colleges usually ask for this document when you apply for financial aid, so I recently contacted the Selective Service to get another copy for my naturalization application.

I can't answer your third and fourth question as I haven't gone through the interview process yet. Concerning your second question, the answer is no.

Hope that helps a little,
Peace

I was going to request that letter from the selective service but my attorney told me since i'm over 30 it became irrelevant, i told him i wasn't aware of the registering and he wrote an affidavit based on that, i signed it and enclosed it with the application.

Thanks. but I don't have an attorney now (used to have one, but she never informed me about Selective Service). How can I create an affidavit letter?

Greetings,

I am a 39 years old male who entered the U.S. on 1992 in San Francisco. (I was 22 at the time). I immediately applied for asylum, and in 1997 my case was approved (I was 27 at that time).

I waited a year (1998) to apply for my Green Card. Unfortunately my case (for some odd reason) got transferred to another city by mistake. (Los Angeles). When I realized that it has been sent to the wrong district, I immediately had them send it back to San Francisco, and eventually got my green card in 2004. (I was 34)

Until about a month ago, I was COMPLETELY unaware of Selective Services. (All I knew was that I could apply for my Social Security Card, Driver's License and EAD.)

Well, it is 2009 now (I am 39) and I am about to send in my application for Naturalization, and I need to know the following please:

1) What should I answer this question (Selective Service form): REASON WHY YOU FAILED TO REGISTER WITH SELECTIVE SERVICE UPON REACHING AGE 18 AND BEFORE REACHING AGE 26?

2) Do I need to write an additional affidavit letter (notarized) stating why I failed to register? (and send it along with my N400 application and/or take it to the interview?)

3) Which documents should I take with me to the interview?

4) Will I be asked the reason for which I failed to register with Selective Service at the interview?

5) How long will it take for the Selective Service to send me back this letter? (do I send the original, make a copy, etc.)

I sincerely, honestly and utterly was not aware of Selective Service.

I would really appreciate your help. Thanks in advance!

If you were in the US in a valid nonimmigrant status between the ages of 18 and 26, you did not have to register. If you held any other status (including asylum, no status, permanent resident, etc.) you had to register. Does this apply to you?

Once you're 31 or older, it becomes largely irrelevant and it is unlikely you will be asked about it in the interview. If you didn't register, don't worry about it. If you are asked about it, remind the interviewer that you are over 31 and the failure to register is before the 5-year statutory period.

I have registered with Selective Service, I know the number, and I put it on my N-400 application. My question is - do I need to bring an official Status Letter from SS (don't even know if I still have it, it was a loooong time ago), or since I'm registered and have the number, this is not a issue?

Hi friends,

I received my Interview letter, it asks among other things, "any evidence of selective service registration". Since I came to US after my 26th birthday as a F1 student, and got my green card when I was 34, I think I am not required to register for selective service?

So do I still need to get SS letter, or just explain to IO during the interview?

TIA

You were residing in the US in a LAWFUL NON-IMMIGRANT (E, F, H, G, L, etc) visa category. This is all that matters. Only citizens and people in immigrant categories (green card holders) are required to register for selective service and only between the ages of 18 and 26.

This topic has the MOST amount of misinformation about it on this entire forum. The question on the N-400 is very clear.

33. Are you a male who lived in the United States at any time between your 18th and 26th birthdays in any status except as a lawful nonimmigrant?

If you were on any lawful non-immigrant status, and this means virtually the entire series of E, F, H, L, etc. visa categories, the selective service registration question should be answered with NO.

You don't have to get any status letter, you don't need to show anything except that you were a lawful non-immigrant who remained "in status" the entire period.

The IO has your entire immigration history in front of him/her and on the computer. If you came to this country as an F-1, then moved to an H-1B, and then moved to GC processing, regardless of your age, then selective service registration did not apply to you.

It really is that simple.

Hi friends,

I received my Interview letter, it asks among other things, "any evidence of selective service registration". Since I came to US after my 26th birthday as a F1 student, and got my green card when I was 34, I think I am not required to register for selective service?

So do I still need to get SS letter, or just explain to IO during the interview?

TIA

Such request is generic or you see it is speciallyy for you?

I have registered with Selective Service, I know the number, and I put it on my N-400 application. My question is - do I need to bring an official Status Letter from SS (don't even know if I still have it, it was a loooong time ago), or since I'm registered and have the number, this is not a issue?

Just check your registration online and print out the page. Bring the printout to your interview.

http://www.sss.gov/Default.htm