Selective Service Registration.... FAQ

The status print out from SS site is sufficient. If it's not available on website, then you must request them to send you a letter.

selective services - status information letter - not sure what my status was: L1 or I-485...

I am planning to get the Selective Services - Status Information Letter for my US Citizenship.

Date of birth: May 1976.

Stayed in US on B1 visa from Jun 1998 to Oct 1998 (22 years old)
For this, i am planning to send copy of visa, I-94 and the B-1 extension approval (an extension was applied and approved).

Came to US on L1 visa in Oct 1999 (23 years old). L1 status was valid till Oct 2004 (valid for a total of 5 years).
I-140/I-485 filed Nov 2002 (26 years old). Had EAD & AP from Nov 2003. I-485 approved Nov 2004 (28 years old).

My question is: in my application, should I mention that I was on I-485 status from Nov 2002 or should I say L-1 status. Basically, what is my status after Nov 2002, is it I-485 or L-1.

Also, please let me know of any other documents (if any) that I need to send for this purpose.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't worry about Selective Service. You are over 31.

But if you still want to go ahead and get the letter ... The L-1 status remains active even while the I-485 is pending, as long as you stayed in the same job for which your L1 was sponsored and the L1 didn't expire and you didn't take any other jobs (with EAD or otherwise).

thank you for the reply. so, i guess, then only between Oct 2004 and Nov 2004 (just over a month, i.e., the time between my L1 ended and i got GC), i was in the official status of I-485 with EAD.

i guess i will mention it this way.

yes, i realize that it may not be a problem since i am over 31, i thought it is better to be safe than sorry. also, since there is no fee or anything, i thought i might as well get this letter.

Selective Services registration question

I came to the US on F-1 visa and my age at that time was 25yrs and 2 months. Never knew that there is something called selective services registration at that time. By the time I got my H-1 visa, I was over 26yrs.

I will be eligible to apply for natz later this year. Does the lack of SS registration back in the day put my potential natz in jeopardy?

Thanks,
speedy

NO. But let me put this thread into a bigger selective service thread.

I came to the US on F-1 visa and my age at that time was 25yrs and 2 months. Never knew that there is something called selective services registration at that time. By the time I got my H-1 visa, I was over 26yrs.

I will be eligible to apply for natz later this year. Does the lack of SS registration back in the day put my potential natz in jeopardy?

Thanks,
speedy

Address?

What is the address of SS to send a request for SS letter?
(there are more 1 addresses listed in the SS website)

Does it depend on which state I reside in? If yes, I am in NC.

Thanks,
Speedy

Selective Service

Hello everyone,

I got a couple of questions for whoever can guide me in the right direction.

Every year when I file for Student Financial Aid (FAFSA), I run into problems because I never registered with Selective Service. I came into this country when I was 13 years old as a tourist and for fear of our lives, my family applied for asylum, which was granted when I was about 22 years old. So between 13 and 22 yrs. old, I was under no legal status, which is basically an illegal “alien”. I continued being under asylum and became a Legal Resident when I was 29 years old. I NEVER received anything from the Government stating I needed to register. Matter of fact, I just never ever imagined that it was required for one to register. All I ever heard my entire life was that men weren't required to serve in the military here in the U.S. Registering therefore never crossed my mind since I knew men weren't required to serve. I bluntly did not know. Well, problem is that my ignorance is now catching up to me. Every time I file FAFSA I have problems and have to write a letter to Selective Service, and than it gets taken care of for that year, until I have to file again, and redo everything over. But I recently found out that because I never registered, I may be ineligible for Financial Aid, Citizenship and Federal Employment. How can I remediate this problem?

The fact that you never registered for selective service doesn't make your ineligible for citizenship. A status letter from selective service is usually sufficient to show that you did not knowingly fail to register, whether you need it as proof for financial aid, citizenship, or future federal employment as a USC.

But I recently found out that because I never registered, I may be ineligible for Financial Aid, Citizenship and Federal Employment. How can I remediate this problem?
For citizenship the failure to register is largely irrelevant once you become 31. You became an LPR at 29 so you will be older than 31 by the time you apply for citizenship (unless you are able to qualify for expedited citizenship before 31).

So, from what I understand, if I provide a letter from SS stating I did not register because I was unaware I had to or I was not required to register, it would be sufficient?

So, from what I understand, if I provide a letter from SS stating I did not register because I was unaware I had to or I was not required to register, it would be sufficient?
You were required to register. You want a letter from them saying they didn't notify you about registering.

But you really don't need that letter at all, assuming you are now over 31.

Selective Service letter misplaced

I got SSC status letter couple of months back. But I misplaced and couldn't find it. My interview is within 14 days. Interview letter doesn't mention about SSC leter.
What can I do? any suggestions? Do they really ask if they did't mention in interview letter.
Thank you

they usually don't ask about the letter for SSS as long as you did put down that you were registered with SSS. Do you remember your SSS registration #?

hello

i came to the USA when i was 18 and now im 27 years old and i want to change my status to immigrant to a US citizen but when i fill the application and there is one question that says enter SELECTIVE SERVICES SYSTEM number so i went to the website of SSS but when i was reading it says that you have to be 18 to 25 years of age to register. but when i got to the US i really didnt know anything about this i just found out when i was filling my application for a citizenship. is there any chance that i can still register for SSS for late registration because i really dont know what to do rigth now.

I am very worried any thoughts on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Selective Service - Registered twice.

Will make long story short.
Few years back I got lucky and won DV lottery. Came into the US in 12.2003. Since I've been under 26 (when arrived) I should register for Selective Service. I don't remember exactly but had to do this within 30 or 60 days. My deadline was coming and I didn't receive my Social Security number from SS office. I tried to register online, but couldn't finish my registration due to not having SSN. I went to the point where I should put my SSN, wasn't allowed to go to the next page. Closed web browser.
Two weeks later got my SSN, registered online (again). This time everythig was OK.
Couple months later received two Selective numbers. One with SSN other one without.
Right now preparing my N-400 and thinking. Could I have any problems with my application for that reason ? :confused:
Should I write anywhere about this ?