Seeking help with I-485 checklist

mitbesitzer

Based on my understanding, these are what I need to send in the application of green card (for a simple asylum case):

I-485
Asylum Approval Notice
2 photos
photocopy of photo page of passport (if I have an expired and a new passport, I need to send the photo page of both, right?)
I-693 (medical exam)
check/money order

Please let me know if anything is missing. I am confused since they did not ask for Proof of one-year residence in the US after asylum approval, so they just assume you were always staying in the US during the past one year? Do I need to send anything for that?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

You better do it with attorney cause any differences between the asylum application and the i-485 then you will be blown out and open door on issues for ya! Never be cheap when it comes to immigration attorney

the requirements are explained with details in the i-485 instructions , you just need to read the entire file thoroughly
link https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/i-485instr.pdf

here are the documents required for an asylee applying for i-485, please make sure to check the official USCIS requirements , or consult a lawyer .

-Form G1145 (optional) , this is to receive texts, emails about your application . even though i sent this form I haven't gotten any text, emails
- Form Form I-912 , if you need a fee waiver if your income is below the poverty line . if you use file this form you might need to include additional documents like tax returns .....
- Form I-485
- 2 photographs

- Copy of Government issued ID, it can be a passport , driver license , EAD cards. i suggest you send a valid driver license or EAD if you have one , copy of front and back .
- Birth certificate (if available )
- Proof of asylum status ,copy of i-94 front and back + asylum approval letter
- I-693
- Payment ,
check, money order ...

the one year residency in the US is determined by the answers on form i-485 , also please make sure to send the application after the one year mark .to avoid any delays .

This is really a simple application for Asylees compared to other adjustments (marriage, employment etc). A recall sending a thin A4 sized envelope with a few papers. I didn’t ask for fee waiver and didn’t have a birth certificate or passport

What about the "Certified Police and Court Records of Criminal Charges, Arrests, or Convictions" Does the approved asylum need to submit as well?

If he has any he needs to apply for the GC with an attorney otherwise he will be in a big trouble! He needs to contact an attorney first
This is not necessarily true. Please stop telling everyone they need a lawyer for their asylum application or their Asylum based GC application.

This is not necessarily true. Please stop telling everyone they need a lawyer for their asylum application or their Asylum based GC application.
If he has criminal history then he probably needs an attorney! Otherwise he will meed up his application which will cause a huge delay! Be honest with folks here please

What about the "Certified Police and Court Records of Criminal Charges, Arrests, or Convictions" Does the approved asylum need to submit as well?
According to the I-485 instructions, if you have had any charges, arrests, or convictions, you need to attach documentation of this. If you've never had any charges, arrests, or convictions, you don't need to do anything.

If he has criminal history then he probably needs an attorney! Otherwise he will meed up his application which will cause a huge delay! Be honest with folks here please
Again your generalized comment/constant insistence on asylum applicants needing an attorney is not always applicable.
FYI: lots of asylees with police or court disposition records based on persecution have successfully applied for their GC without the use or support of an attorney. So please, enough of your generalized claim.

Again your generalized comment/constant insistence on asylum applicants needing an attorney is not always applicable.
FYI: lots of asylees with police or court disposition records based on persecution have successfully applied for their GC without the use or support of an attorney. So please, enough of your generalized claim.
Alright I apologize!

the requirements are explained with details in the i-485 instructions , you just need to read the entire file thoroughly
link https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/i-485instr.pdf

here are the documents required for an asylee applying for i-485, please make sure to check the official USCIS requirements , or consult a lawyer .

-Form G1145 (optional) , this is to receive texts, emails about your application . even though i sent this form I haven't gotten any text, emails
- Form Form I-912 , if you need a fee waiver if your income is below the poverty line . if you use file this form you might need to include additional documents like tax returns .....
- Form I-485
- 2 photographs

- Copy of Government issued ID, it can be a passport , driver license , EAD cards. i suggest you send a valid driver license or EAD if you have one , copy of front and back .
- Birth certificate (if available )
- Proof of asylum status ,copy of i-94 front and back + asylum approval letter
- I-693
- Payment ,
check, money order ...

the one year residency in the US is determined by the answers on form i-485 , also please make sure to send the application after the one year mark .to avoid any delays .
So if you didn’t leave the country after the asylum you don’t need to send anything proves u been here for 1 year?

According to the I-485 instructions, if you have had any charges, arrests, or convictions, you need to attach documentation of this. If you've never had any charges, arrests, or convictions, you don't need to do anything.
Thanks, I never been to a police station even so no criminal record. But I thought maybe they need a document called Police Clearance it is a certificate of clear record. Anyway. in this case I don't need to submit any documents related to Police and Record.

I really appreciate everyone's help. I just can't offer to have an attorney submitting i485 for me.
Thanks again to everyone

I have another question about the I-94. When checking online I don't have an I-94 record for my last time entering the US when I applied for asylum. However the website only shows a record for a previous visit. So when filling the I-485 shall I use the old I-94 number or leave it blank or use the number on the white hard paper I received when I got my asylum application approved?
Note: when filling I-589 I used the I-94 number of my previous entry (not the latest one) but I used the expiration of the latest I-94.

Anyone been in similar situation?

Also I saw in other website, that people submits a copy of the I-94 stamp from the passport and the VISA from the passport. Do I need to do this as asylum approved GC applicant ?

Last edited:
I have another question about the I-94. When checking online I don't have an I-94 record for my last time entering the US when I applied for asylum. However the website only shows a record for a previous visit. So when filling the I-485 shall I use the old I-94 number or leave it blank or use the number on the white hard paper I received when I got my asylum application approved?
Note: when filling I-589 I used the I-94 number of my previous entry (not the latest one) but I used the expiration of the latest I-94.

Anyone been in similar situation?

Also I saw in other website, that people submits a copy of the I-94 stamp from the passport and the VISA from the passport. Do I need to do this as asylum approved GC applicant ?
i don't know to be honest consult a lawyer , but if i were you i would just put the same info on the i-589 , don't leave it empty they might sent the application back . I don't think the passport stamp is required but it wouldn't hurt .

if you are not in a rush , you can request your USCIS file online under the Freedom of information act , you might find the missing information on there . i requested mine a year ago , it took about a month , it's a one downloadable pdf file.

Also, one can file 90 days prior to 1 year anniversary. They don't have to wait 1 year and can file after 9 months.