San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

vpartha said:
Had my interview early Wednesday morning - went through quite smoothly. The agent in charge was extremely courteous and downright friendly. Oath is later this month - May 18th.

Does anyone plan to leave the country soon after the oath? I need to do so and am planning on going to SF and applying for an expedited Passport because of impending travel.

Anyone else have any experience with this?

Thanks
--
vpartha

Receipt:11/25/2005
Fingerprint:2/21/2006
Interview:5/3/2006
Oath:5/18/2006

Congrats. Did you get the oath letter ? where is the ceremony? San Jose has only one event a month and that is on 24th of May.

vpartha said:
Had my interview early Wednesday morning - went through quite smoothly. The agent in charge was extremely courteous and downright friendly. Oath is later this month - May 18th.

Does anyone plan to leave the country soon after the oath? I need to do so and am planning on going to SF and applying for an expedited Passport because of impending travel.

Anyone else have any experience with this?

Thanks
--
vpartha

Receipt:11/25/2005
Fingerprint:2/21/2006
Interview:5/3/2006
Oath:5/18/2006

Couple of things, as GeeC already pointed out, the Oath ceremony is for the 24th of this month (May, 2006). You can check the following link for upcoming Oath dates:
http://www.ci.campbell.ca.us/heritagetheatre/events.htm

On your question of impending travel plans, we are planning a trip to India in mid-July. So we will be applying for an expedited passport either the same day or perhaps the day after. The additional $60 is cheap insurance for my peace-of-mind!

Hope this helps.

Regarding - Date of Oath May 18th

I haven't received the official Oath letter but I was given a document by the Agent with the date on it as the 18th and the location being the same place - the INS office at Monterey Road, San Jose. It is at 8:30 in the morning.

Going by your responses I would guess that this is not what happened to you guys - but I am glad that I am getting this out of the way sooner because I would be cutting it too close to my travel dates.

BTW - do you have to make an appointment in SF to request the expedited services or is it a walk-in?

Also for the trip to India - are you applying for a Visa/PIO Card/NRI Dual status? I heard that the NRI Dual status takes about 6 weeks

--
vpartha

Last edited by a moderator:
vpartha said:
I haven't received the official Oath letter but I was given a document by the Agent with the date on it as the 18th and the location being the same place - the INS office at Monterey Road, San Jose. It is at 8:30 in the morning.

Going by your responses I would guess that this is not what happened to you guys - but I am glad that I am getting this out of the way sooner because I would be cutting it too close to my travel dates.

BTW - do you have to make an appointment in SF to request the expedited services or is it a walk-in?

Also for the trip to India - are you applying for a Visa/PIO Card/NRI Dual status? I heard that the NRI Dual status takes about 6 weeks

--
vpartha

Wow! That is cool. Didn't know that the San Jose DO does that. Has anybody else had their oath done separately at the Monterrey Road facility?

For the India trip, we are applying for a 10 year multiple entry visa. Because the OCI card takes (as you said) about 6 weeks and we don't have time to wait. We'll apply for that a bit later in the year.

vpartha said:

--
vpartha

Interesting, I never heard about such oath ceremony at the San Jose DO. They used to have at the DO until about a year ago or so. Anyway good for you.

As for the Passport, you need to get an appointment.
http://travel.state.gov/passport/about/agencies/agencies_900.html

PIO card is issued in about a week, if you have that much time, you can get a PIO card ($310) and apply for OIC ($25 for PIOs). total is $335.

If you get a six month visa ($60) -- that you can get in one day and then apply for OIC ($275), total of $335.

So, both options work out to be the same in terms of cost. But if you are getting a 10 year visa, PIO route is cheaper and that is what I am going to do. Get PIO -> upgrade to OCI for $25.

My time line

Hi Folks

I am new in this forum. My time line is as follows:

00/00/06 : N-400 Receive Date
00/00/06 : N-400 Notice Date
00/00/06 : FP Notice Date
00/00/06 : FP Appointment
00/00/06 : Interview Appointment
00/00/06 : Oath

The Consulate General of India San Francisco's website seems to indicate that the PIO card will be issued in about 30 days (normally) and could also take as long as 3-4 months!! Yikes! I can't take that chance.

sanjosedude

I posted mine on 3rd, it reach USCIS on 5th May.

Our dates are almost the same.. will be good to compare..

Oath Ceremony at San Jose INS office May 18th

skr said:
vpartha,

Yours seems to be a different type of ceremony than the one,
some of us are going to attend at Heritage Theater in Campbell.
I hope yours is a little less boring than the one we are going
to attend (I attended my wife's oath ceremony in April).

cheers,
skr

I received the official Oath Letter for the May 18th ceremony yesterday (May 5th) and am a bit surprised, pleasantly albeit, with the speed of the process after the interview.

On the downside my wife is still waiting on her interview date - Her receipt date is 11/25/2005 and FP is 4/6/2006. I spoke to the agent (during my interview) and he said that her files looked ok and nothing seemed amiss. I plan to send a letter to Laguna Niguel (thats what he recommended) asking for speedier processing.

--
vpartha

Rescheduling the Citizenship Interview in San Jose

hi,

i need info on rescheduling the interview of my wife who is currently in india now. should i call USCIS or sent a letter to local office in SJ.

if a letter needs to be sent, can i sign it OR my wife/applicant has to do it.

does this rescheduling affect the application in any way ??

thanks,

Mailed : 02/04/06
RD/PD : 02/08/06
Chk cshd: 02/15/06
FP ND : 03/09/06
FP Rcvd : 03/13/06
FP : 04/04/06
Intv Rcvd: 04/19/06
Intv Sch : 06/21/06

Last edited by a moderator:
I rescheduled my interview but did not get a date yet.
My original interview was scheduled for 6/20/06. I sent a letter to san jose office stating the reschedule request and returned the interview notice in it.
I sent the letter on 4/18. I got a notice from them on5/3 stating my interview on 6/20 is cancelled and I will receive further notification when the new interview date is set.
I believe, San Jose schedules interviews in 3 month batches.
april-may-june is the current batch. I hope to get an interview date in the next batch which is july-aug-sep.

purpleyogi said:
hi,

i need info on rescheduling the interview of my wife who is currently in india now. should i call USCIS or sent a letter to local office in SJ.

if a letter needs to be sent, can i sign it OR my wife/applicant has to do it.

does this rescheduling affect the application in any way ??

thanks,

Mailed : 02/04/06
RD/PD : 02/08/06
Chk cshd: 02/15/06
FP ND : 03/09/06
FP Rcvd : 03/13/06
FP : 04/04/06
Intv Rcvd: 04/19/06
Intv Sch : 06/21/06

Question to the gurus

My interview was successfully completed on 05/04/06 and officer asked me whether I am OK with June 14th Oath ceremony. I said fine. I asked her whether all the processes are complete. She said Yes. She also told me they will send a letter in two weeks for oath ceremony.

My question to you all is that can I consider that I am out of the blackhole.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Timmy123 said:
My interview was successfully completed on 05/04/06 and officer asked me whether I am OK with June 14th Oath ceremony. I said fine. I asked her whether all the processes are complete. She said Yes. She also told me they will send a letter in two weeks for oath ceremony.

My question to you all is that can I consider that I am out of the blackhole.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Did you get N-652 with "Your Application has been reccommended for approval" checked? If so, you are out of the woods.

I did receive the N-652 letter

Thanks GeeC. I was kind of anxious so that I do not fall under the FBI name check

Question about N-652 Approval

I finished my interview and got my oath letter as well - but I noticed GeeC mentioning something about the N-652 letter - I dont recall any such thing. Should I have asked for it?

I am travelling (domestically) right now and depending on this might have to fly back asap to take care of stuff before the 18th (Oath date)

Looking forward to any help here

--
vpartha

Hello,

I am new to this forum. I recently filed my N-400 application. Here is my timeline so far.

San Jose, CA
04/21/2006 - N400 received
04/21/2006 - PD
05/03/2006 - ND
05/04/2006 - ND for FP
05/26/2006 - FP appointment

:D

vpartha said:
I finished my interview and got my oath letter as well - but I noticed GeeC mentioning something about the N-652 letter - I dont recall any such thing. Should I have asked for it?

I am travelling (domestically) right now and depending on this might have to fly back asap to take care of stuff before the 18th (Oath date)

Looking forward to any help here

--
vpartha

You have oath letter itself and that is the ultimate proof that you have been granted citizenship. Some DOs issue N-652 after the interview to indicate the outcome of the interview.

As of 18th, You will be USC. Congratulations.

tiggermug said:
Hello,

I am new to this forum. I recently filed my N-400 application. Here is my timeline so far.

San Jose, CA
04/21/2006 - N400 received
04/21/2006 - PD
05/03/2006 - ND
05/04/2006 - ND for FP
05/26/2006 - FP appointment

:D

Did you apply to Sanjose, CA or CSC ? How do you know it is Sanjose, CA ? I am waiting for notice for FP. My PD is 4/24/2006 and applied at CSC.

THanks for the clarification

galaxy3 said:
Did you apply to Sanjose, CA or CSC ? How do you know it is Sanjose, CA ? I am waiting for notice for FP. My PD is 4/24/2006 and applied at CSC.

THanks for the clarification

Hi,

Yes, I sent my application to California Service Center. (I don't think people can send the application directly to the local office. First, it needs to go to the service center listed in "how to complete the application" guide from USCIS.)

As far as I know, at some point during the process (I think it is after FBI is done checking FP.), it will be forwarded to the local office. I happen to live in San Jose, so, I think that it is in San Jose's local office jurisdiction. I think that Santa Clara County is in their jurisdiction, so if you live somewhere in SC County, I think that your case will be processed at San Jose office. Many years ago when I was applying for the permanent residency, I lived in Fremont, which is in Alameda Co. And, my case was processed at San Francisco office. I don't know how or if the jurisdiction boundary has changed or is different for the naturalisation application.

:confused: