San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

We received the Oath letter today

I am finally relieved to see them.
Oath - June 14th.
Blahblah_gc, hopefully you will also receive them soon.

Interview and Oath Dates

My Interview date was May 6th 2006 - the officer in charge saw that I had been travelling a lot outside the country and therefore said that I can go to the May 18th date so that I can travel again on June 5th. I received the actual Oath papers on may 8th.

I had not requested any date in particular - because everyone asks this of them and it can be quite tiring for an individual to be at the receiving end of the requests.

It is my understanding that this is not standard and I know it only too well since my wife (who applied with me) has still not received her Interview notice yet.

some update here.

just received the oath letter.

one question, can we apply passport at the oath day? What need to be prepared? thanks

skr said:
You can go the following DOS website and fillup your passport details:
2. You can't make a copy of the Naturalization cert(unless
you go to some place which will allow you to make a
copy. From vpartha's previous post, it seems you are
allowed to make a copy for your records.

I think the intention is to make a copy for your records and not for any other purpose. Usually you are allowed to submit copies of other documents for any application e.g. the greencard for the n-400. What they mean by no copies here is that whenever the Nat. Cert is demanded you have to take the original and that you cant take copies.

Atleast that is my understanding of what the official said

Updated timeline and a question on missing evidence

I got my N400 receipt notice today. The letter had this statement..

Anyone knows what this means ? anything to worry abt ?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
The above application has been received by our Office and is in process, but has been noted with one or more of the following exception(s):

Missing Evidence(s) - your application was missing evidence(s) that you will need to bring the time of you Naturalization interview. You will be notified under separate notice of the necessary evidence(s) that you will be required to bring to your interview. Do not submit any evidence(s) by mail.

US Passport in person

vpartha said:
I finished my oath this morning at the Monterey Road office at San Jose. Had a fleeting moment of annoyance at the attitude of the guard at the door more than the rule.
FYI - They make you take the cell phone, water bottles and snack bars back to the car.

The ceremony was supposed to be at 8:30 but didnt start till 8:50. There were around 35 citizens-to-be and about 35 guests. They inspected our forms and collected the green cards before letting us into the seating area.
FYI - they give you plenty of opportunity to fill out the forms - one old lady had infact filled it out wrong and they corrected it for her without any fuss.

The official in charge started with a few jokes and then barely spoke for 10 mins. Then we had the video for about 4-5 mins - the President congratulating the folks etc... we were done by 9:15. Then they handed out the Naturalization Certificates and reminded us to sign it at home, make copies, store safely and to apply for passport before flying out of the country.
FYI - The naturalization cert can be applied only inside the country and the embassies are authorized only to give duplicate or extensions for passports - so DO NOT LEAVE THE COUNTRY without your FIRST AMERICAN PASSPORT.

The second-in-charge offered to reply to questions about sponsoring other family members and other ins issues- I had a question about the delay on my wife's interview (still no action/reply/further correspondence from the INS) - Got a stock reply about security checks etc.. and frankly I had expected a better answer from someone in her position.

Well though I am happy I am done with the process - I have to wait for my wife's to finish and she hasnt gotten her Interview Date yet
(Receipt - Nov 25, 2005
Fingerprint - Apr 4, 2006)

Hi,

I read in your last post that you were planning to apply for the US Passport in person. Did you apply for it already, can you share your experience about that. I have my oath on May 24th and am planning to apply for the passport in person. Do they issue it in 1 day?

Srini

sjc_400_2005 said:
Hi,

I read in your last post that you were planning to apply for the US Passport in person. Did you apply for it already, can you share your experience about that. I have my oath on May 24th and am planning to apply for the passport in person. Do they issue it in 1 day?

Srini

I think if you need your passport in one day, you have to apply in person at one of the National Passport centers. The closest to San Jose is in San Francisco (I think). Check the following site for more detailed information:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/first/first_831.html

chatrathi said:
I think if you need your passport in one day, you have to apply in person at one of the National Passport centers. The closest to San Jose is in San Francisco (I think). Check the following site for more detailed information:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/first/first_831.html

Thanks Chatrathi for the info. I am aware of this info already, i was looking for vpartha's response as i believe he was planning to apply in person. Vpartha, if you have already gotten your passport, could you post your experience.

Thanks

sjc_400_2005 said:
Thanks Chatrathi for the info. I am aware of this info already, i was looking for vpartha's response as i believe he was planning to apply in person. Vpartha, if you have already gotten your passport, could you post your experience.

Thanks

My trip got postponed and therefore I decided to go with the standard processing time for the passport. I did find out that you always have the option of calling them and paying the $60 by phone and changing it to expedited service and that you dont have to make that decision in the beginning of the process.

--
vpartha

USC finally...

Long long journey that began several years ago, came to fruition today - we finally became USCs as of today. Applying for expedited passports tomorrow at a local post office.

Good luck and god speed to all others waiting in various stages of their applications.

chatrathi said:
Long long journey that began several years ago, came to fruition today - we finally became USCs as of today. Applying for expedited passports tomorrow at a local post office.

Good luck and god speed to all others waiting in various stages of their applications.

We also became USCs yesterday. A question about the passport application. It says submit 2 recent color photographs. Should we paste one photo on the form and submit the other OR pencil the name on the back of the photos and just submit both alongwith the application?

Randyraj

randyraj said:
We also became USCs yesterday. A question about the passport application. It says submit 2 recent color photographs. Should we paste one photo on the form and submit the other OR pencil the name on the back of the photos and just submit both alongwith the application?

Randyraj

Dont bother pasting them - the post office will do it and you dont have to sign it anymore.

randyraj said:

Randyraj

As vpartha said, just go to the post office and they will take care of all the details! We dropped our applications off yesterday (expedited!).

Thanks Chatrathi and vpartha for your responses. I submitted my application ( expedited ) today.

Randyraj

Hi,

Just updating...

I went to get my FP done on last Friday (5/26). My appointment was at 2pm, but I got there about 15 minutes early. So, I decided to just wait inside until my turn came up. Then, I got out of my car and walked up to the entrance door. The first thing that I noticed on the door was "no cell phone". I thought "okay...." So, I went back to my car to leave my phone there. Try again.... Once inside, contrary to my expectation from my past and almost any visit to immigration office, there was no line of people waiting to get served! :) Other than people working at the office, I was the only one there to get the FP done. Upon entering the building, the security asked me to show him my FP notice along with my residency card. Then, he asked me to fill out the form. While completing the form, I was thinking "all these questions.... these are pretty much same as what I had already given them in the citizenship application form." Redundancy, redundancy.... By that time, two more people had entered the office for their FP appointments.

When finished completing the form, I went to the reception desk where a person there took some looks at the form to verify the info there against the info on the FP notice. Then, he said, "follow me this way."

Once at the fingerprinting machine, he, first, started to wipe-cleaned the glass plate that an applicant before me had used to take the FP. I remember taking the FP when applying for the practical training visa and the permanent residency status, but this finger print reading machine looked a lot more sophisticated than the ones I saw before. Then, I realized and told myself, "of course, it should be. It was 13 years ago when I applied for the practical training visa, and about 8 years ago when I got the permanent residency."

Standing on his right side while he held my fingers to press them lightly on the reader, the black-n-white of images of my prints showed up on the computer screen. To the right of the image, the machine also displayed the score that apparently indicated the quality of the finger print that the machine had just taken. A couple of the prints were re-taken because of the low score. Then, I thought that "humm... I hope it is not because of a few cracks on fingers that I have developed when hand-washing the dishes." (I just don't like to wear a pair of rubber gloves when washing the dishes.)

When he was finally done taking all finger prints, he called out "QA!!" Then, the QA person came over to our station to go through the prints to make sure that they were all in good qualities and that he didn't miss anything. While I was standing there waiting, I just suddenly thought that the scene was kind of familiar. Then, I thought "that is right. This is like being at Fry's electronics when returning a merchandize that people had bought." For some reason, the demeaner of the QA person reminded me of those cashier managers at Fry's. "You are all set!", he said. I said, "thanks."

When leaving the station, he handed me a small piece of yellow customer survey form for me to fill out before existing. This was a lot different from my past experience at INS office where, in the past, the "customers" were treated as if we were some kind of all-you-can-eat food at the restaurant, that was long neglected and getting dry because of the constant heat from hot plates underneath. But, this time, they were actually asking people to rate how they were doing. I put my completed form into the inbox at the desk and existed the building. All in all, it took only about 20 minutes.

Now, I am waiting for another notice letter from USCIS for my interview date.

tiggermug said:
Hi,

Just updating...

I went to get my FP done on last Friday (5/26). My appointment was at 2pm, but I got there about 15 minutes early. So, I decided to just wait inside until my turn came up. Then, I got out of my car and walked up to the entrance door. The first thing that I noticed on the door was "no cell phone". I thought "okay...." So, I went back to my car to leave my phone there. Try again.... Once inside, contrary to my expectation from my past and almost any visit to immigration office, there was no line of people waiting to get served! :) Other than people working at the office, I was the only one there to get the FP done. Upon entering the building, the security asked me to show him my FP notice along with my residency card. Then, he asked me to fill out the form. While completing the form, I was thinking "all these questions.... these are pretty much same as what I had already given them in the citizenship application form." Redundancy, redundancy.... By that time, two more people had entered the office for their FP appointments.

When finished completing the form, I went to the reception desk where a person there took some looks at the form to verify the info there against the info on the FP notice. Then, he said, "follow me this way."

Once at the fingerprinting machine, he, first, started to wipe-cleaned the glass plate that an applicant before me had used to take the FP. I remember taking the FP when applying for the practical training visa and the permanent residency status, but this finger print reading machine looked a lot more sophisticated than the ones I saw before. Then, I realized and told myself, "of course, it should be. It was 13 years ago when I applied for the practical training visa, and about 8 years ago when I got the permanent residency."

Standing on his right side while he held my fingers to press them lightly on the reader, the black-n-white of images of my prints showed up on the computer screen. To the right of the image, the machine also displayed the score that apparently indicated the quality of the finger print that the machine had just taken. A couple of the prints were re-taken because of the low score. Then, I thought that "humm... I hope it is not because of a few cracks on fingers that I have developed when hand-washing the dishes." (I just don't like to wear a pair of rubber gloves when washing the dishes.)

When he was finally done taking all finger prints, he called out "QA!!" Then, the QA person came over to our station to go through the prints to make sure that they were all in good qualities and that he didn't miss anything. While I was standing there waiting, I just suddenly thought that the scene was kind of familiar. Then, I thought "that is right. This is like being at Fry's electronics when returning a merchandize that people had bought." For some reason, the demeaner of the QA person reminded me of those cashier managers at Fry's. "You are all set!", he said. I said, "thanks."

When leaving the station, he handed me a small piece of yellow customer survey form for me to fill out before existing. This was a lot different from my past experience at INS office where, in the past, the "customers" were treated as if we were some kind of all-you-can-eat food at the restaurant, that was long neglected and getting dry because of the constant heat from hot plates underneath. But, this time, they were actually asking people to rate how they were doing. I put my completed form into the inbox at the desk and existed the building. All in all, it took only about 20 minutes.

Now, I am waiting for another notice letter from USCIS for my interview date.

If all this details are for only the finger print experience , I would love to read your Citizenship interview experience. :)

Good luck and Thank you.