San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

Hi Timmy123
Can you pl let us know how long it took for you to receive Oath letter in the mail after interview?
thx

I received the letter on 18th May 2006

Sorry it was not 10th as I intially mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Need any Indian visa for travel to India imbetween interview and oath ?

Me and my wife might need to travel to India :
(a)after interview but before oath
OR
(b)after oath

I think for (b) we definitely need indian tourist visa. We would have preferred going to India with OCI (overseas citizenship of India) but i suppose that takes around 3-4 months to get. We can not postpone our trip so will need to apply for tourist visa and after coming back from India we can apply for OCI. Anybody having some suggestions here or see any issue in this thinking ? Also if somebody has gone through this situation , how much time it takes to get normal indian tourist visa ?

Secondly, I am not sure that for case (a) i need any india visa or not. I think one becomes US citizen after oath and NOT after interview. Also they take away green card after oath only. So probably we should not need any india visa for this case. Can some knowlegable people confirm this ?

###################
My N400 timelines so far
###################
DO : San Jose
3/24/06: N400 Mailed to CSC
3/27/06: N-400 Receive Date as well as Priority Date
4/20/06: FP Notice Date
5/09/06: FP Appointment
5/09/06: FBI sent back the FP
6/14/06: Received Interview Notice
8/08/06: Interview Appointment at San Jose
?/??/06: Oath letter recvd
?/??/06: Oath day

Thanks Timmy123, 5days after the interview - that was fast

Still waiting for my oath letter, had my interview on 06/07

Hi,

I received the notice letter for the citizenship interview today (6/14). It is scheduled on 8/25/2006.

Thanks,

You want save money then use (a)

do you know when is your interview is going to happen?
If you know the dates/ and if your FP's done then I would recommend (a) as you save money by not spending for India Visa.

With (b) you need to obtain US passport+either Visa/PIO/OCI. I heard people are getting PIO in 1 week and I know one friend who got OCI in 5 weeks time.

If I were you, I would choose (a) over (b).

bayareaboy said:
Me and my wife might need to travel to India :
(a)after interview but before oath
OR
(b)after oath

I think for (b) we definitely need indian tourist visa. We would have preferred going to India with OCI (overseas citizenship of India) but i suppose that takes around 3-4 months to get. We can not postpone our trip so will need to apply for tourist visa and after coming back from India we can apply for OCI. Anybody having some suggestions here or see any issue in this thinking ? Also if somebody has gone through this situation , how much time it takes to get normal indian tourist visa ?

Secondly, I am not sure that for case (a) i need any india visa or not. I think one becomes US citizen after oath and NOT after interview. Also they take away green card after oath only. So probably we should not need any india visa for this case. Can some knowlegable people confirm this ?

###################
My N400 timelines so far
###################

Thanks Timmy123 for reply.
Actually when i wrote (a) or (b), i meant that we dont have choice between (a) and (b). The family emergency will force us to case (a) or case (b).
So though i know my interview date but dont know about the date of family emergency. So kinda no choice for me out of (a) and (b) but will be under one of these 2 situations.

Does somebody know how much time it takes to get US passport after oath ? I would imagine less than 1 month but not sure.

###################
My N400 timelines so far
###################

If you have ticket, you can get passport in 1 day

If you have booked your tickets that is sufficient to get passport in a day and Indian Visa you can get in sameday though

Timeline update

My wife finally got her interview notice yesterday

Timeline
ND:11/25/2005
FP Cancelled internally by System: 01/06/2006
FP: 4/3/2006
IV:8/1/2006

Passport issue

Hi

Can you share your expecience of applying passport with us in San Jose?

I went there last Sat and found so many people and so I quitted. I asked some of them and they had waited about 3 hours. I am not sure why we would need to wait this long, as far as I think, we only need to turn in the form, pictures, certificate, etc, right? thanks for your input.

I applied at Sunnyvale Mary and it happened in an hour

Infact, I went there same day only 5-6 people there b4 me. I don't know about other PO.
I took DL, two photos, PP application filled/printed from Online and check books with me, because PP fees you need to pay by means of check.
If you want expedited processing, they ask you pay for express mail both ways. That is around $14.40 per postage.

Hope this helps.

blahblah_gc said:
Hi

Can you share your expecience of applying passport with us in San Jose?

I went there last Sat and found so many people and so I quitted. I asked some of them and they had waited about 3 hours. I am not sure why we would need to wait this long, as far as I think, we only need to turn in the form, pictures, certificate, etc, right? thanks for your input.

There are some Post offices where you can setup an appointment to apply for your passport - a huge time saving feature! The Campbell post office offers this type of service.

Also note that we were informed of the following charges:
a. Normal processing - $97 4-6 weeks to get one's passport
b. Expedited 2-3 weeks - $97 + $60 2-3 weeks to get it
c. Expedited 1 week - $97 + $60 + $28.80 1 week to get it

The difference between b and c is that the post office will use overnight mail both ways. We chose (b) and got our passport in about 5 business days.
Hope this helps.

Do you know if you are getting the new "E-Passport", or they are still issuing the regular style? Not that this is important - just curious.
Thank you,
McBV

--------------------

District Office - San Jose
Mailed application - 03/11/06
Check cashed - 03/20/06
Received Date - 03/14/06
Priority Date - 03/14/06
Notice Date - 03/28/06
Notice Received - 03/31/06
FP Notice Received- 04/17/06
FP Date - 04/29/06
Interview Notice Received 05/13/06
Interview Date 07/25/06

McBV

My dates

Got notice for interview.

Swap

District Office - San Jose
Mailed application - 03/24/06
Check cashed - 04/07/06
Received Date - 03/27/06
Priority Date - 03/27/06
Notice Date - 04/11/06
Notice Received - 04/13/06
FP Notice Received- 04/26/06
FP Date - 05/10/06
Interview Notice Received 06/15/06
Interview Date 08/08/06

Any news on oath letter / date , areyosamba.?
We're still waiting for letter..[ cheking mail box daily ]

-thanks,
CZPHope

areyosamba said:
Hi Timmy123
Can you pl let us know how long it took for you to receive Oath letter in the mail after interview?
thx

Interview in San Jose

My wife and I successfully completed the citizenship interview on Friday 6/16/2006. I thank the forum members for their postings that definitely helped us in the preparation and expectations.

My interview officer was extremely courteous. The only documents they asked for were my current passport and the green card. Asked six civics questions verbally and asked me to write a very simple sentence.

They handed us the congratulation letters and told us that our oath taking ceremony will be on July 19 at Campbell Heritage Theatre. That was it and we were in and out of the interview room in less than 10 minutes. Actually, in the last few minutes, the interviewer was giving me directions to the oath taking venue, instructions on how I can apply for Indian dual citizenship.

A few relevant notes:
1. Camera phones are not allowed in the building.
2. Cell phones may not be active in the waiting area for the interview.
3. Almost all the people attending the interview wore very casual attire.

Here is our timeline:

Forms mailed: 2/1/2006
Priority date: 2/3/2006
Fingerprinting date: 3/22/2006
Interview date: 6/16/2006
Oath ceremony: 7/19/2006 (waiting for confirmation letter)

So far none, still waiting for the oath letter

CZPHope said:
Any news on oath letter / date , areyosamba.?
We're still waiting for letter..[ cheking mail box daily ]

-thanks,
CZPHope

Interview today

I have the interview scheduled today, in another couple of hours.
First non-job related interview after many many years :)
Lets see how that goes, wish me luck :)

useful, Best of luck. The interview is more like formality. You should be out in 5-10 mins.

Update us on how it went.

useful said:
I have the interview scheduled today, in another couple of hours.
First non-job related interview after many many years :)
Lets see how that goes, wish me luck :)