San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

Received My Interview Letter

Hi All,

Finally, as GOD wished, I received my Interview letter just now for July 26. The notice is dated May 30 and my online status did not change.

Luckily my baby's due date is also the same day :)

Thanks a lot Huracan, sharon574, takadigi, kkboy, topgun123, loveduser and all in the group for all the updates and help.

For people whose name is stuck in the name check, I heard from one of my good friend that most of the namechecks gets cleared within 80-110 days. I don't know why it is the magic number but I have heard a lot of cases whose name check got cleared in that time. So, there is light at the end of the black hole.

Good luck to people going for Interviews this month, all waiting for ILs and all waiting for their name check clearance.

Hi,
Can someone let me know how to get a infopass for Sanjose DO?
We both cleared the interviews on 5/17 at the same time and he already got oath date for June 13 but I did not. As we plan to go out of country during our kid's summer break , I needed to get my oath also for same date June 13th.
I would like to go talk to IO to get me also scheduled for 6/13 oath. I see
even 5/24 folks getting 6/13 but somehow I missed it.

PD 10/16/2006
ND 10/23/2006
FP 11/15/2006
Interview Done 5/17/2006
Oath ????

Go to infopass.uscis.gov and click on "I want to speak to an IO"

Good luck !!!

Hi,
Can someone let me know how to get a infopass for Sanjose DO?
We both cleared the interviews on 5/17 at the same time and he already got oath date for June 13 but I did not. As we plan to go out of country during our kid's summer break , I needed to get my oath also for same date June 13th.
I would like to go talk to IO to get me also scheduled for 6/13 oath. I see
even 5/24 folks getting 6/13 but somehow I missed it.

PD 10/16/2006
ND 10/23/2006
FP 11/15/2006
Interview Done 5/17/2006
Oath ????

Hi omorpeus,

Awesome news!! I was pretty sure your interview letter was going to come in this batch. I am sure you're breathing a lot easier now :)

Have a good weekend.

...Our interview was done on 5/17 but we still did not receive the oath letters yet. Have you made any special request to get included for June13 oath?...

My interview was on May 24th. My oath is on June 13th.

I did not make any special requests

Hope this helps

Interview in San Jose

We have our interview scheduled at San Jose office in 2 days. Here is what we intend to take:
Copy of N-400 application, interview letter, GC, passport, photos, driver license.

1. Is anything else needed like tax return documents, H1 documents etc etc?
2. Will there be test of English - spoken or written?
3. Will the questions be limited to the questions listed in QuickCivicsLessons handbook that we received during our fingerprinting appointment?
4. Can we get scheduled for oath ceremony at the time of interview OR should we wait for a oath letter to arrive at our residence?

Timeline:
Mailed N-400: Oct 14th 2006
FP done: Nov 17th 2006
IL received: April 05th 2007
Interview Date: June 05 2007

Should've not mention "other names"

Folks:

I kind of have figured out why my name check got stuck there: I've been using an English name on business occasions for convenience since Year 2000 and that's the name I put into "Part 1. C. 'Other Names'" field of N-400 form. This may have caused a considerable additional delay.

I believe this is an educated guess instead of a wild one :) And if that's true it might be called a "punishment to honesty and seriousness" :)

A good advice that may be derived from this case could be: don't use a name other than your legal one until you get naturalized :) Can't help laughing.

Hi All,

Finally, as GOD wished, I received my Interview letter just now for July 26. The notice is dated May 30 and my online status did not change.

Luckily my baby's due date is also the same day :)

Thanks a lot Huracan, sharon574, takadigi, kkboy, topgun123, loveduser and all in the group for all the updates and help.

For people whose name is stuck in the name check, I heard from one of my good friend that most of the namechecks gets cleared within 80-110 days. I don't know why it is the magic number but I have heard a lot of cases whose name check got cleared in that time. So, there is light at the end of the black hole.

Good luck to people going for Interviews this month, all waiting for ILs and all waiting for their name check clearance.

Congratulations omorpheus. I posted my details within 5min after I saw my IL as I was reading this blog saw your posts here and your infopass details and we have same PD. All other user's updates really helped me to guess the time frame for my Interview.

Goodluck for your Interview and I guess we might get the Oath for Aug 13th batch :).

Thanks a lot Huracan and loveduser. Hope you all had a nice weekend.

Yes, loveduser, I also hope that we get the Oath in Aug (which may be either 15th or 22nd Aug) -- depending on if its 2nd last or third last Wednesday.

One more question I have is that do we need to get the tax transcripts from the IRS for last 5 years of our tax returns? Was anyone asked for the same in any interview?

Dist Office: San Jose
Mailed: 4/19/2007
Received : 4/20/2007
Priority Date: 4/20/2007
Notice Date: 5/14/2007
FP Notice: ????
FP Appt: ????
Interview: ????
Oath: ????

I have a question to ask, one of my friend said when he went for interview they asked for speeding ticket proofs and that delayed his process,
To best of my knowledge I have had 3 speeding tickets 1 was in 1999 from State of Connecticut, 2 around 2002-2003 time frame from State of Ohio, and I don't have any proofs with me, Do I need to worry about them? When do I need to collect any proofs? Since 2003 till date the driving record is clean. Let me know what I need to do.

Thanks,
KB

We have a similar situation. We are planning to contact the corresponding DMV's to possibly get the ticket records. The problem is we don't have our old drivers license numbers. so we need to get that first.

I would recommend calling that DMV by phone first.
In My case, when I called and gave first-last name and birth date, they were able to pull the record. Then I downloaded a form from their website and asked for the driving record. (This was for NH state) Their record did not show if fine was paid or not but clerk said that if I had not paid it, they would say on the record that fine was not paid and a warrant has been issued.
During interview, IO did not ask anything about it though it was mentioned in there. (This was a parking ticket not a moving violation)

Really this seems to be onging pain in every phase. Initially I thought having the interview passed will automatically guarantee you for the next Oath in the same sequence as your interviews. Now I see that though I have passed the interview well before many folks who also already got their Oath letters but I have not.
So the story is , our pains not ending right after the successful interivew but,
we still have to be lucky to get the oath letters also in the order.

We have our interview scheduled at San Jose office in 2 days. Here is what we intend to take:
Copy of N-400 application, interview letter, GC, passport, photos, driver license.

1. Is anything else needed like tax return documents, H1 documents etc etc?
2. Will there be test of English - spoken or written?
3. Will the questions be limited to the questions listed in QuickCivicsLessons handbook that we received during our fingerprinting appointment?
4. Can we get scheduled for oath ceremony at the time of interview OR should we wait for a oath letter to arrive at our residence?

Timeline:
Mailed N-400: Oct 14th 2006
FP done: Nov 17th 2006
IL received: April 05th 2007
Interview Date: June 05 2007

1. Some people like to take tax returns, most times they are not needed. H1 documents are not needed. They have access to your immigration file. To be honest they have your social security number so it should be trivial for them to find out whether you filed taxes or not.
2. This is an interesting question. The answer is both. The oral examination is embedded in the interview, it is the way you understand and reply to the interviewer questions that shows your knowledge of English. The written part is very simple, it is to write a sentence. The sample sentences are in the guide to naturalization if my memory serves me well.
3. Yes.
4. I think is worth asking. I believe some people have gotten oath letters on the spot, but most don't. You could ask the officer once you find out that your application is recommended for approval. Please let us know if you were able to obtain the oath letter in this way.

Good luck :)

14. I think is worth asking. I believe some people have gotten oath letters on the spot, but most don't. You could ask the officer once you find out that your application is recommended for approval. Please let us know if you were able to obtain the oath letter in this way.

I dont think its even a option atleast with SJ DO. Leave for the letter, they cannot even tell you if you will be able to make it to the next oath the following month . They said they are heavily booked these days so we have to wait for a month to 2 to get our turn.
Getting a letter rightway is out of question now.

Interviewed today at San Jose Office

Thanks for the tips given at this forum. Both me and my spouse interviewed today at SJ office. We were both approved. Here are some highlights of our interview:
-We were called in at time specified in interview letter i.e. there were no delays.
-At the beginning office asked us to raise our right hand and take an oath that whatever we are saying during the interview is the truth.
-Office opened our N-400 application and went over our answers in N-400: Things like - are you married? Do you have children? Is this your correct phone number?
-Questions for which answers my vary are: Do you still live at the same address? Have you ever gotten DUI ticket? Have you travelled outside the country between the time of filing the application and interview date? I would say answer honestly and you will be fine.
-He then asked me to practise cursive handwriting on a piece of paper. Then I had to write my first and last names cursively on N-400 application and also on two passport size photos
-Next, the officer told an English sentence and asked me to write it in my normal handwriting on N-400 application.
-Lastly, he printed 10 questions on his computer, (all of them are in the civics lessons handout) and asked me to read out the questions and answer them. He counted how many I got right and put that number down.

Finally, he said that my application has been approved and went on say that the next step is oath ceremony. And I will be called between months of July and Sept, most likely on July 18th. He also said that for oath ceremony, I have to take the letter that I will be receiving to my home and my green card & will get a Naturilization Certificate during the oath cermony.

So, I did not have ask the officer specifically about the oath. He made it clear to me without even asking.

Timeline:
Oct 14th: Mailed Application
Nov 17th: FP done
April 05th: Received IL
Jun 05: Interview completed successfully
????: Oath

1. Some people like to take tax returns, most times they are not needed. H1 documents are not needed. They have access to your immigration file. To be honest they have your social security number so it should be trivial for them to find out whether you filed taxes or not.
2. This is an interesting question. The answer is both. The oral examination is embedded in the interview, it is the way you understand and reply to the interviewer questions that shows your knowledge of English. The written part is very simple, it is to write a sentence. The sample sentences are in the guide to naturalization if my memory serves me well.
3. Yes.
4. I think is worth asking. I believe some people have gotten oath letters on the spot, but most don't. You could ask the officer once you find out that your application is recommended for approval. Please let us know if you were able to obtain the oath letter in this way.

Filed N400

I just filed my N-400 yesterday base on three year marriage to USC and hoping to hear form them soon. We do have plan to visit Mexico in December during Christmas Break but knowing that it may take longer for SJDO to process our application. Let's see what happens. We'll also share our experience.

I called the 800 number today asking about not receiving the oath letter yet.
The lady told us that it will take one to 3 months to schedule the oath after the interview. So she was hinting us that there is no need to call for this until and unless it is over 90 days. Well !! the wait continues ............

ND 10/13/06 FP 11/15/06 Interview 5/17/07 Oath .....

Both me and my spouse interviewed today at SJ office. We were both approved.

I informed the officer that we were traveling the first week of July. I got scheduled for an oath ceremony on June 22.

Timeline:
Oct 27th: Mailed Application
Nov 21th: FP done
April 07th: Received IL
Jun 06: Interview completed successfully
Jun 22: Oath