San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

I have a question regarding filing I-130 application for my wife:

Since USCIS has now increased the filing fee of I-130 and I-485 from $565 to $1400 from July 30, and I haven't yet received the interview letter as yet, should I file for my wife's I-130 before becoming a citizen and then upgrade the application? Can I also file for I-485 as soon as I become citizen or can I do so only along with I-130 and would then have to wait?

These SJ folks due to delays have cost me more than 10 grand in my wife's fee and now another 1 grand above normal filing fee.

Please advise....

Here is my process time:
Here are some log dates of my N-400:
DO: San Jose, CA
8/8/06 N-400 form mailed out
8/26/06 FingerPrint Appointment Letter
9/8/06 FingerPrint done
1/26/07 Interview Letter received
3/14/07 Interviewed
4/16/07 Case approved
4/27/07 Oath Letter
5/23/07 Oath Day

congrats doradavid

Doradavid:

Congrats on becoming a US citizen and thanks for posting your timeline. I had a question: what exactly is "case approved"? I knew there was a formal approval process that you had to go through after a successful interview, but I didn't think there was any notification of the same. Also, it seems a little odd that you had to wait two months after your interview to be sworn in. Hmm.

But, in any case, you're done. So, enjoy your citizenship ;)

My USC timeline

Hi all, I would like to share my USC application timeline, I will update as we move alongs.

05/03/07 Mail Date
05/05/07 Mail arrive to CSC per USPS tracking info.
05/07/07 Priority Date
05/17/07 Check cashed per Online banking
05/22/07 Notice Date
05/24/07 Notice mail received
????????? Finger Print Notice
????????? Finger Print Appointment Date
????????? Finger Print Done
????????? Interview Letter
????????? Interview Date/Result
????????? Oath Letter receive
????????? Actual Oath Date

Hi all, I would like to share my USC application timeline, I will update as we move alongs.

05/03/07 Mail Date
05/05/07 Mail arrive to CSC per USPS tracking info.
05/07/07 Priority Date
05/17/07 Check cashed per Online banking
05/22/07 Notice Date
05/24/07 Notice mail received
????????? Finger Print Notice
????????? Finger Print Appointment Date
????????? Finger Print Done
????????? Interview Letter
????????? Interview Date/Result
????????? Oath Letter receive
????????? Actual Oath Date

VietQDoan, you have almost the same dates as those for my wife. Are you able to check your case status online? It doesn't show up for her.

VietQDoan, you have almost the same dates as those for my wife. Are you able to check your case status online? It doesn't show up for her.

Yes, it does show on my case. You might want to check once a week. I had a chat with CSC offical and was told that due to fee increases in Jul-07. Therefore at CSC office they are now flooding with application for N-400, I-130, and I-485. Have we all notice what the new fee for I-485?, more than a grand! Yuck.

quick question

It is almost 10 weeks after done my FP. Called 1 800# and get always namechek pending till last time. Yesterday IO told me I should receive my IL in a month or I need to send a letter to request my interview scheduled. What does it mean? Does it mean name check done and IL in que or anything else.
Please help me understand this mystery answer :)

INFOPASS UPDATE
==============

I had another INFOPASS today and I don't know what I should make from the answers given to me. First the lady over the counter said that it may take upto 10 months to schedule an interview and then she said its only around 6 months for you. She said more than interview you should worry about Name check -- I asked if its clear (I had already asked it in my last INFOPASS and it was clear). She said doesn't the letter (FP letter) shows that? WHAAAAT ???? I didn't know that.

Then I asked when I will get scheduled and she said that maybe in 8 weeks and may be 10 months she doesn't know. She said the letters are scheduled by CSC at La Guana and once scheduled it comes to them and mine hasn't come to them.

I asked her if she can give a timeline as she said that yours is a borderline case and will be scheduled soon. She checked and said if you don't receive IL by 20th July come back .... WHAT should I make of it?

Also, she said that don't take too many INFOPASS appointments as when I pull your account, it's processing gets delayed. Is it TRUE or only to lessen her work she said so ... As I don't think taking INFOPASS has got anything to do with your application processing. Am I wrong???

So, am waiting and watching ....

PD: Dec 18, 2006

omorpheus,

I think you're taking this too seriously. I believe a little bit of patience can go a long way. Wait until the next interview batch. It seems the last one was pretty small and didn't get to your priority date. From what you say it seems you didn't get any useful information this time.

I don't think taking INFOPASS can delay the process, but I wouldn't discard that if you take too many they can get annoyed and somewhat delay your case. This is of course pure speculation, as that kind of action would probably be unethical.

Thanks for the advice Huracan. I just took this appointment to see where I stand as I have to make some important decision regarding my apartment lease by tomm and don't want to move before all the stuff is clear.

Also, I have to file for my wife's GC and now due to all this fee hike wanted to see if I could save a few thousand dollars. But looks like not :(

I feel your pain. San Jose is going to cost us money with the long delays. I hope you get the interview letter soon. I hope I had some answer for your previous question on I-130 I-485. Perhaps the family immigration thread could have some answers and people with more expertise. Hope you get a solution that can save you money.

Interview Scheduled bu did not get letter

Hi:
I just wanted to give update from my last posting. I went to infopass again and told them i still don't have interview letter. He was again going to write down the interview date and shoo me away but i said "i know interview is on 7 june, but i didnt get letter so i'm here to collect the letter"
Then he disappeared for a long time and came back with a duplicate printout of the interview letter. Also, he said we mailed it on 11 april how come u didnt get it.
So i guess the lesson is u have to keep checking the status and be proactive. I would have missed my interview if i didn't go for the infopass since the letter never came and the online status never changed. Keep checking this thread and get an infopass if people who applied after u have started getting interview letters and u haven't.
My PD 26 Oct 06, FP 25 Nov 06 , Int 7 Jun 07

Yes, it does show on my case. You might want to check once a week. I had a chat with CSC offical and was told that due to fee increases in Jul-07. Therefore at CSC office they are now flooding with application for N-400, I-130, and I-485. Have we all notice what the new fee for I-485?, more than a grand! Yuck.

Thanks. It works for her case too.

BTW, does the email notification feature for an online account at USCIS work? Has anyone received emails for status update?

BTW, does the email notification feature for an online account at USCIS work? Has anyone received emails for status update?

No, it never worked for me or my spouse. As far as I can remember, none of the forum members ever noted having received the email notification. So, it would be safe to conclude that the email notification of the USCIS Online Status Tool simply does not work.

Speeding Ticket Proofs

Dist Office: San Jose
Mailed: 4/19/2007
Received : 4/20/2007
Priority Date: 4/20/2007
Notice Date: 5/14/2007
FP Notice: ????
FP Appt: ????
Interview: ????
Oath: ????

I have a question to ask, one of my friend said when he went for interview they asked for speeding ticket proofs and that delayed his process,
To best of my knowledge I have had 3 speeding tickets 1 was in 1999 from State of Connecticut, 2 around 2002-2003 time frame from State of Ohio, and I don't have any proofs with me, Do I need to worry about them? When do I need to collect any proofs? Since 2003 till date the driving record is clean. Let me know what I need to do.

Thanks,
KB

Infopass Appointment Today

We filed N-400 together. My wife has received her Interview Notice Letter on May 19 when I haven't got that yet. So I made an Infopass appointment with USCIS in San Jose.

I was met by a lady with Vietnamese origin and gave her a brief of the problem. She immediately said it is probably because FBI name check is pending. (She means if man and wife don't get Interview Letters together that could be the most possible reason).

She then did some check on her computer and told me "yeah, name check is still pending". I asked for more explanation and she said the ball is in FBI's hands and FBI "sent your name to where you came from and is waiting for an answer". I asked whether "where I came from" means my home country, she said yes.

Then she said there's nothing more she can do and "good luck", something like that.

Our data follows:
PD: 10/30/2006
FP: 11/25/2006

That is my first time to hear that FBI will do name check with help from other countries and I don't think it's true. Right?

how to get hold of an Immigration Officer to check case status

Yesterday I found out my case disappeared from the online system. I am still waiting for my IV letter. I would like to find out the reason. I tried 1-800-375-5283 but could not find any option to reach an immigration officer. Is Infopass the only way to find out what is going on?

It probably means you're going to get the interview letter soon. I wouldn't waste my time with an Infopass at this time. I hope a new batch of interview letters is coming. Wait one or two weeks for the Interview letter to arrive, and come back to tell us the good news so other people can get an idea of the progress in San Jose office.

henrysh,

I would think that the USCIS IO doesn't have access to what the FBI is doing with your name check. I would believe that it was just a wild guess on her part. On the other hand I wouldn't completely rule out that to clear out some name check issues the FBI might contact your home country for additional information. However, you're right that I also have never read that the FBI does this, so for now I would just ignore what the IO said.

PS: Sorry to hear you got stuck on name check. I hope it gets cleared soon.

Yesterday I found out my case disappeared from the online system. I am still waiting for my IV letter. I would like to find out the reason. I tried 1-800-375-5283 but could not find any option to reach an immigration officer. Is Infopass the only way to find out what is going on?

Hi sharon754,

What is your Priority Date?

Thanks,
OMorpheus