San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

To all experience folks....

My interview is scheduled for next month. Do I have to get Selective Service" Registration" waiver since I got my green card much later thank 26 years.

Please advise if anyone had experience or has knowledge of what needs to be done. If I have to get a waiver what is the process.

Certainly appreciate everyones help.

Thanks
Raj4jazz

Raj4Jazz, I am not an expert or don't have any experience but if you entered US on any visa before you reached 26, its better to get a letter from selective service that you did not registered as you were not a permanent resident at the age of 26. You have to write an application to SS and attach copy of your green card and visa and why you did not join SS. They usually send a response within 3 weeks.

You can get information on www.sss.gov and the application form is at: http://www.sss.gov/PDFs/SILForm.pdf

I don't think it would make a huge difference but its always good to have extra documentation always.

Good luck.

In my case I am not planning to ask for a SIL letter, as it seems to be for people who failed to register. It should be pretty clear from my record that I wasn't supposed to register, as I got my Green Card after the age of 26. I know some people ask for the letter as assurance that they were not required to register and potentially to avoid questions when applying for federal jobs. I don't know how much of this is myth and how much reality.

Thanks omorpheus for the direct link to the pdf form. I hope you get your interview letter soon. I was pretty sure you'd get it this week.

My 2 cents.

In my case I am not planning to ask for a SIL letter, as it seems to be for people who failed to register. It should be pretty clear from my record that I wasn't supposed to register, as I got my Green Card after the age of 26. I know some people ask for the letter as assurance that they were not required to register and potentially to avoid questions when applying for federal jobs. I don't know how much of this is myth and how much reality.

Thanks omorpheus for the direct link to the pdf form. I hope you get your interview letter soon. I was pretty sure you'd get it this week.

My 2 cents.

I am also hoping to get the Interview letter by the end of this month else another Infopass.

I got my GC just one month before I turned 26 and I was scared to death as if I do not get citizenship, I have to go back because my wife does not have a GC. I filled that application and luckily I got a letter saying that I had registered for Selective service. I think my GC lawyer did it for me.

Within that time frame I asked couple of lawyers what would happen and they said that a lot of their clients did not register and got citizenship. So, I think its not a big deal. If you were in US before 26th b'day on GC, it is required to get the letter else only for the peace of your mind you shud get one and is not required.

Did anyone else get their ILs with PD after Dec 5?

Clearly not required

To all experience folks....

My interview is scheduled for next month. Do I have to get Selective Service" Registration" waiver since I got my green card much later thank 26 years.

Please advise if anyone had experience or has knowledge of what needs to be done. If I have to get a waiver what is the process.

No, it is absolutely not required. I have gone through my naturalization process. I was only 3 days older than 26 when I got my GC. During my interview, the interview officer started to refer to the Selective Service Letter and then immediately said, "Oh, you don't need it as you were past your 26th birthday." So, in a nutshell, absolutely nothing is required if you were over 26 when you got your GC.

travel between interview and oath

I have passed the interview and oath ceremony was scheduled to be on 6/13. I need to make a short internationaly business trip the week before the oath. Anyone knows if this will affect the citizenship?

No, it won't affect (little disclaimer, unless that short trip makes you violate the continuous residence/physical requirements, which I greatly doubt in your case). I believe the oath form or during checkin for oath ceremony you have an opportunity to update your trip information, tickets and things like that which migh have happened from interview to oath.

I have passed the interview and oath ceremony was scheduled to be on 6/13. I need to make a short internationaly business trip the week before the oath. Anyone knows if this will affect the citizenship?

That wouldn't be a problem at all - assuming you are going to be back for your oath ceremony on 6/13. Make sure you carry your passport for the oath ceremony so that one of the officers can validate the duration of your stay outside the country. They will obviously give your old passport back and as long as your home country allows dual citizenship, you will be able to use your old passport for travel purposes along with your US passport that you will need to use to re-enter into the US.

Passed interview today

a) Plenty of free parking
b) Little mobile coffee shop plus breakfasty items in the parking lot
c) Entrance to the building: like going through Airport security. Dont get there more than 30 minutes before appointment time. No electronics allowed inside either.
d) All officers are *extremely* polite and friendly. Nice :)
e) My specifics: H1B->Green Card, divorcee, several short trips abroad, 6 traffic violations in 10 years in the US, never arrested. 9 addresses or so in the past 5 years. N-400 absolutely truthful. Never needed to register for Selective Service.
f) Only docs I was asked to show: Interview appointment letter, Passport, GC, Driver's License
g) Asked about 10 US history/civics questions, all from the set of 96, all of which I answered correctly. All in less than 30 seconds :)
h) Went through every entry in the N-400. Be sure to know the contents of yours well.
i) Make a copy of your interview letter if you want it for your records. The interviewing officer kept mine.
j) Called in 25 minutes late. Entire interview lasted 15 minutes.
k) June oath quota was not filled up as of two days back.
l) The officer was clearly a Chinese (or derivative thereof) immigrant. He made two grammatical errors while testing my English ;)

Good luck to all!

dress up at the oath ceremony?

I'm wondering if one needs to dress up formally at the oath ceremony? What kind of attire should be worn at the oath? How about for friends and families accompanying me?

Here is my time line.
N-400 Timeline
Dist Off: San Jose
11/22/06: N-400 Mailed
11/24/06: Priority Date
12/08/06: Notice Date
12/20/06: FP Notice Date
01/04/07: FP Date
05/21/07: Interview Notice Date
07/10/07: Interview Scheduled
XX/XX/XX: Oath
XX/XX/XX: Passport Apply
XX/XX/XX: Passport Receive

My interview notice says: notice for "Initial" interview. My question is the "Initial" a standard word on the interview notice or it just applied to my case?

#1083 - vaca_lechera has posted her observations in-detail. My wife's and my experience was similar.

All IOs appeared friendly. Some folks took their children/strollers in to the interview.

IO were friendly. They said the oath letters would be mailed within a couple of weeks and that the oath ceremony would be in June or July.

They were not aware whether June ceremony's spots are filled up or not.

Next stop - Campbell heritage theatre!

I'm wondering if one needs to dress up formally at the oath ceremony? What kind of attire should be worn at the oath? How about for friends and families accompanying me?

No, there is absolutely no dress code. Just go in whatever you are most comfortable in. Friends and family would be allowed and they won't be able to sit with you. If the oath ceremony takes place in Heritage Theater in Campbell then they will have to sit upstairs.

My update
Especially for James400 and TblSpoon22.
Today is 5/24/07 I received a letter from INS. YESSSS!!!!!
It says my PD is 05/01/07. ND: 05/21/07

I hope you get your letter soon.

N-400 timeline
DO : San Jose

05/01/2007 : Mailed N-400 to CSC.
05/02/2007 : CSC received N-400 per Post Office tracking.
05/10/2007 : Check Cashed per Bank Statement
05/01/2007 : Priority Date
05/21/2007 : Notice Date (received in the mail 05/24/07)

??/??/???? : FP Notice Date
??/??/???? : FP Appointment
??/??/???? : Interview Date
??/??/???? : Oath

siliconhybrid,

Thanks for letting me know. The check is still not cashed as per online bank statement.
UPDATE: check cashed on 5/24 per online bank statement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oath letter

I received my oath letter last week for 06/13 in Sanjose

I had the check on
Any Immigration Documents you may have AND
Permanent Resident Card

Is the permanent resident card good enough to bring to the Oath Ceremony?

Any folks with similar Oath letters

N-400 Filed on April When can I expect FP notice

I am planning to go out of town for 3 weeks, when can I expect FP notice?

Dist Office: San Jose
Mailed: 4/19/2007
Received : 4/20/2007
Priority Date: 4/20/2007
Notice Date: 5/14/2007
FP Notice: ????
FP Appt: ????
Interview: ????
Oath: ????

Thanks,
KB

I am planning to go out of town for 3 weeks, when can I expect FP notice?

Dist Office: San Jose
Mailed: 4/19/2007
Received : 4/20/2007
Priority Date: 4/20/2007
Notice Date: 5/14/2007
FP Notice: ????
FP Appt: ????
Interview: ????
Oath: ????

Thanks,
KB

I think no one can predict when you will get FP letter or Int letter. you can only hope. I think it will be better to give the keys of your mailbox to a trusted friend and he can check your mails every 3-4 days. Typically you will get 1-2 weeks advance notice, so you can plan to return early in worst case.

Its just a suggestion. Good luck ...

Is the permanent resident card good enough to bring to the Oath Ceremony?

Any folks with similar Oath letters

Yes, just your permanent resident card is good enough. However, if you have gotten any law enforcement citations (including traffic violation tickets) or you traveled outside of the country between the interview and oath, take with you the appropriate document that indicates the exact nature of the violation and/or exact dates of travel.

Additionally, if you have any other INS issued travel documents with you, take those as well.

siliconhybrid,

Thanks for letting me know. The check is still not cashed as per online bank statement.
UPDATE: check cashed on 5/24 per online bank statement.
Check encashed on 5/21/2005.

N-400 timeline
DO : San Jose
05/01/2007 : Mailed N-400 to CSC
05/02/2007 : CSC received package per USPS tracking.
05/21/2007 : Check Cashed per Bank Statement.
??/??/???? : Priority Date
??/??/???? : Notice Date
??/??/???? : FP Notice Date
??/??/???? : FP Appointment
??/??/???? : Interview Date
??/??/???? : Oath