San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

FP Again?

Received a letter saying FBI is unable to clear the finger print. They scheduled FP again on 5/31/07. Strange, usually it should take 48hrs to clear the FBI not sure why they took months to say it.

Did anyone do the second fingerprint because FBI is unable to process?

Last edited by a moderator:
It probably took 48 hours for the FBI, but months for USCIS to notice it and reschedule you. It is not unheard of that even simple things can cause an inordinate amount of time.

On the other hand I have heard of people being asked to go back to submit fingerprints again, and if that fails then to ask for police clearance reports from the cities they lived in the last 5(?) years.

My 2 cents.

Fp

It probably took 48 hours for the FBI, but months for USCIS to notice it and reschedule you. It is not unheard of that even simple things can cause an inordinate amount of time.

On the other hand I have heard of people being asked to go back to submit fingerprints again, and if that fails then to ask for police clearance reports from the cities they lived in the last 5(?) years.

My 2 cents.

Hope this will not delay the whole process. I was expecting the IL and received this.

Would the next IL mailing happen this week? Anyone going for INFOPASS soon?

If we look at the past, they processed ILs for PDs upto Oct 26 around Apr 13 and even though now they are around Nov 27, its only one month processed in 1 month ... No big deal or maybe yes considering the slowdown.

Oath dates?

Is there anyone whose interview was done in May 07? Any idea about what is the date for the next Oath?

Oath Letter

Is there anyone whose interview was done in May 07? Any idea about what is the date for the next Oath?

Bestlick,

I thought that they gave Oath Letter when one is there for interview. My friends wife went to SF DO and she had her interview and got her IL letter for June.

Whats the deal with San Jose or am I confused? Educate me on this.

Thanks
Raj

Bestlick,

I thought that they gave Oath Letter when one is there for interview. My friends wife went to SF DO and she had her interview and got her IL letter for June.

Whats the deal with San Jose or am I confused? Educate me on this.

Thanks
Raj

That is not how it typically works in San Jose DO. You would receive an oath letter in mail after successfully completing the interview.

An acquaintance of mine, who successfully completed her interview at SJ DO on the 2nd of May has not yet received her oath letter. She was told at the interview that the May 23rd oath is very likely to be already full and she should expect to get the oath letter for the June ceremony.

Omorpheus,

I know it might not be a big deal, but at least it is either:
1. Not slowing down further
2. Perhaps speeding up a bit.

I know it is almost impossible to make a prediction with such little information. With San Jose office it is mostly a guessing game and being hopeful. Let's see if there is a interview letter mail out this week, but I don't want to be too optimistic, perhaps next week.

Finished interview

I went to SJ DO yesterday morning for the interview. I went in 20 minutes ahead of time. But, they called me 10 minutes before my appointment time. I had my trepidations - not for the citizenship tests or the interview, but because I am the mom of a new born infant who is a few weeks old and was worried that they might make me wait hours inside with no phones. But my husband was able to come in with me with the infant in tow and wait with me. A very, very nice officer interviewed me. It lasted 20 minutes. The actual interview and process might have taken just 5 minutes. He was chatting with me about the IT boom in my native India, what the economy and job situation was like over there and if I was considering relocating to India for a future job, his experience interviewing other Indian immigrants etc during the rest of the time. I was thoroughly impressed by the whole process and left feeling good about federal agencies. As for the interview, the officer amended the application about my new born's details, asked about my foreign trips, my employer's name, and the usual questions about brushes with law, illegal activities, bearing arms for the US in the event of war etc. He asked me to write on the application form a sentence that went "I am a ______" to describe my career. This served as the english language test. Then I signed 2 photos. Then he gave me a questionnaire for the civics test and asked me to write the answers as well as speak them out as I wrote them. I got all of them right. He then said that my interview was over and that I could expect a oath letter in 4-6 weeks. I can't believe that I am all done. I have been on these boards since 1997 starting with H1, then GC and now citizenship. This time around I took the laid back approach and even applied long after I was eligible to apply (I had other important things happening in my life to distract me). BTW/ my husband who applied on the same day as me has not got his IL yet. In his infopass appointment, a rude lady officer told him that his background check has not yet cleared and that he might get his citizenship either in a month or 2 years and nobody could predict such things.
Good luck to all and I hope you have as nice an interview experience as I did.

Trap??

Ies. He was chatting with me about the IT boom in my native India, what the economy and job situation was like over there and if I was considering relocating to India for a future job, his experience interviewing other Indian immigrants etc during the rest of the time.

I am wondering was this a trap by the officer to check if you really wanted to stay in the US or not??

or am i being paranoid...

All major newspapers ran an article recently on how Indians are moving back to India. Some even said they do so right after citizenship.

I am wondering was this a trap by the officer to check if you really wanted to stay in the US or not??

or am i being paranoid...

All major newspapers ran an article recently on how Indians are moving back to India. Some even said they do so right after citizenship.

Agree with sammySam. I suspect the same thing.

Agree with sammySam. I suspect the same thing.

It did briefly cross my mind too that he was trying to trap me. Isn't it the right of a citizen to relocate anywhere?? How can citizenship be denied based on that?
But he was just talking of himself going abroad to work too in that context - e.g. in Vietnam, China, India where he would get paid the same $ salary for the same kind of work and get free US govt provided education for children etc but worried about his family's safety. He asked me if my family would be safe if I moved back to India and if the political situation was stable there. He was really nice during the whole process and wanted to know what people's opinions were.
Anyway, to the question about me relocating to India - I was noncomittal and told him it was hard to predict what any body's future held but right now, I was too busy with my life to think about relocating.

Completed Interview and Recd Oath Letter

Here are details of my N-400 status
DO- San Jose
09/25/06 - Applied to CSC
09/27/06 - Receipt at CSC
09/29/06 - Check cashed
10/06/06 - NOA received
10/11/06 - FP notice date
10/31/06- FP Appt
10/17/06 - Actual FP done
03/19/07 - Recd Interview notice (ND 03/15/07)
Interview date - 05/08/07 - Passed -
OATH - 06/13/07 -Oath letter received 05/17/07

It did briefly cross my mind too that he was trying to trap me. Isn't it the right of a citizen to relocate anywhere?? How can citizenship be denied based on that?

Yes, it can be. If there is any reason to believe that the applicant has the intention to move back somewhere else, they can deny the case. There have been multiple such cases reported in the past. Don't ask me the reason or logic. It just happens.

Interview was done in 20min. The dude said he would try to get me the June 13th date for the oath, but if that fills up it will be the July date.

Priority Date : Oct 16, 2006
Finger Printing: Nov 15th, 2006
Interview Letter Received: March 31, 2007
Interview Date: May 17, 2007

If I remember correctly, someone mentioned that Oath typically takes place on 3rd Wednesday or 2nd last wednesday of each month. June 13 is a wednesday for sure but 2nd and third last of June, so, it seems the oath happens every 4 weeks and since the wait from passing the interview is 4-6 weeks, if you are more than 2 weeks from the interview date, chances are you might make into the next one ... Just a hunch ...

No more ILs this week? May be we will get some next week :-(

Hi omorpheus,

Good observation. I have been going back in the past and going over several pages of this thread, and it seems that ceremonies are scheduled at least on second and third Wednesday of the month. I couldn't find any case that fell outside this range (i.e. first or fourth Wednesday of the month). I don't know if every month is the same (i.e. two oath dates). The Campbell heritage theatre schedule doesn't show any USCIS ceremony on June. Is Campbell the only place where ceremonies take place?

I also hope we get a fresh batch of interview letters next week.