San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

Name check pending

I went for an infopasss today since my PD is 12/14 and I hadn't recd my interview letter. I was told Name check is pending :(
I had filled in the column for other names used with my Initial for the last name and first name being the same as is the way the names are used officially in Southern India. Looks like that could be the reason for the name check like Henrysh mentioned.
The officer told me that it would go to "where I came from " and once cleared will receive my interview letter.
Anyone else in this forum from India who got a Name check pending and was cleared ? If so after how long ?
I case I need to be out of the country for a few months before the letter comes , is that ok to do while the app is pending ?
Any input is appreciated
Thanks

Both me and my spouse interviewed today at SJ office. We were both approved.

I informed the officer that we were traveling the first week of July. I got scheduled for an oath ceremony on June 22.

Timeline:
Oct 27th: Mailed Application
Nov 21th: FP done
April 07th: Received IL
Jun 06: Interview completed successfully
Jun 22: Oath

Congratulations on the successful interview and oath scheduling. I guess it's nice to leave the interview with an oath date under your arm ;)

I informed the officer that we were traveling the first week of July. I got scheduled for an oath ceremony on June 22.

Timeline:

kr62,

You got the oath letter right after the interview? I noticed June 13 is San Jose oath day. Seems San Jose is adding another oath day for June?

So, there are two oath ceremonies -- one on June 13 and one on June 22? So, that means that it happens only on Wednesday is not correct?

Huracan: Are you getting Tax transcripts and Employment verification letter for your interview or are GC, DL, passport and SSN card enough?

Two Oath dates in a month?

Timeline:

June 13 is a oath ceremony day. So is there one more day in June for this?
If it is the case, its a good news. I was under impression that there would be only one day in month for this .

San Jose is **very** slow compared to most DOs and especially even SF is much faster. April applicants are getting interviews now at SF.

There had been a BIG batch of GC approvals in SJ area 5/6 years back who are all applying now.

We should contact our local Congress-persons to get BCIS to catchup on the processing time.

If they take so much fees/ taxes, they must provide poportional service, right?

June 13 is a oath ceremony day. So is there one more day in June for this?
If it is the case, its a good news. I was under impression that there would be only one day in month for this .

Cit_wait, did you by any chance had two I-140s filed? I was reading in another forum that for a person who had two I-140s filed, it took a little longer to get the Oath letter than his spouse who were interviewed the same day and same time.

Good luck ...

Update

Yeah San Jose is slow

Dist Office: San Jose
Mailed: 4/19/2007
Received : 4/20/2007
Priority Date: 4/20/2007
Notice Date: 5/14/2007
FP Notice: June 1st 2007 (Got it Jun 6th 2007)
FP Appt: June 28th 2007
Interview: ????
Oath: ????

weird

I went for an infopasss today since my PD is 12/14 and I hadn't recd my interview letter. I was told Name check is pending :(
I had filled in the column for other names used with my Initial for the last name and first name being the same as is the way the names are used officially in Southern India. Looks like that could be the reason for the name check like Henrysh mentioned.
The officer told me that it would go to "where I came from " and once cleared will receive my interview letter.
Anyone else in this forum from India who got a Name check pending and was cleared ? If so after how long ?
I case I need to be out of the country for a few months before the letter comes , is that ok to do while the app is pending ?
Any input is appreciated
Thanks

I never heard name check goes "where I came from"....

Cit_wait, did you by any chance had two I-140s filed? I was reading in another forum that for a person who had two I-140s filed, it took a little longer to get the Oath letter than his spouse who were interviewed the same day and same time.

Good luck ...
No, I never had multiple 140's filed. I went with a infopass yesterday and the IO told me that I am in line for schedule and I should be receiving the oath letter very soon in mail. When I asked him about the date , he did not say anything but said the date will be mentioned in the letter.

If there really is one more date 22nd, I may also get it for that date. Otherwise July date. Waiting ....

Huracan: Are you getting Tax transcripts and Employment verification letter for your interview or are GC, DL, passport and SSN card enough?

For now I am just planning to take GC, DL, passport. I am also planning to take a couple of extra pictures. If they are not needed during the interview I'll use those for the passport. I have also been thinking if it would be good enough just to get a printout from the tax software for the last 3 years. Would that work? I don't know. I might not do it.

I think the rule of thumb is that whatever you bring with you to the interview you are prepared to give to the IO and it will probably remain in your file (well, not the SSN card, but perhaps they make photocopy of original document). Not that this is bad, but I get this feeling that fewer papers can lead to a more streamlined interview. From most interview experiences nothing is asked except for traffic ticket documents. I believe I am going to take a calculated risk in the amount of documents I'll bring to the interview. What are you planning to do?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oakland Interview procedure

What is the procedure for interview in oakland? As in what happens when you walk in the office for the interview? Do they give you a number or you just sit and wait and they call your name?

My interview is at 9:00am and I have to catch a flight at 12:20 pm. If I get to the office at 7:30 (1/2 before they open) would that help in any way?

Please advice!

Thanks,
Mani

N400 notice date: Sep 28, 2006

I've seen others post on this thread with much later dates and already have gotten interview dates. I've received no communication whatsoever from the San Jose center where I filed my citizenship application.

Should I be worried? The official site seems to suggest they are processing cases from Aug 22 right now.

https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/jsps/officeProcesstimes.jsp?selectedOffice=72

Let me know,
Thanks!
Rajeev

Wow, you've waited quite a while to post another message ;) Yes, you should have received an interview letter. Have you done the fingerprints? This is not clear from your post where you claim to have not heard anything. If taken literally it would mean you haven't even got a notice of action and your check was not cashed. However you mention a notice date in your post subject. What steps have you completed?
You're probably stuck in name check, you could schedule an Infopass (check the main page of uscis for this) to find out if that's the case.

My 2 cents

Has anyone who applied in May received their FP notice yet? My priority date is May 9th and I have yet to receive my FP notice yet.

I have noticed that previously (like over the last year or so) there used to be about 6 weeks between mailing the application and receiving the FP notice.

How long is it taking these days?

after a long waiting i got my IL letter. my interview will be on 12th june. i need to bring 2 passport style photo with GC,DL and IL letter. can anyone tell me if they keep those photos or return?

my priority date: 28th august, FP done:27th sep, IL letter recieved:5th may, Interview : 12th june

They may or may not ask you for the pictures during the interview. If they ask for them they will keep them, if they don't ask you keep them. I think they do it in case the first set of pictures didn't meet specifications or were lost.

Huracan,

I am planning to take GC, DL, passport and two extra pictures. I may also take the last 3-4 years tax transcripts & Employment letter as I am getting them for filing for my wife's GC anyways, so no harm there.

I have only one expired meter parking violation back in 2004 in east coast (my friend had taken the car that time) and had to pay $35 as fine. I did not mention it in my N-400 and I think it does not matter and am not taking any documentation for that as I don't have one.

I am going through all the posts in this forum and find out if some IO asked for something else. I will keep you posted.

For now I am just planning to take GC, DL, passport. I am also planning to take a couple of extra pictures. If they are not needed during the interview I'll use those for the passport. I have also been thinking if it would be good enough just to get a printout from the tax software for the last 3 years. Would that work? I don't know. I might not do it.

I think the rule of thumb is that whatever you bring with you to the interview you are prepared to give to the IO and it will probably remain in your file (well, not the SSN card, but perhaps they make photocopy of original document). Not that this is bad, but I get this feeling that fewer papers can lead to a more streamlined interview. From most interview experiences nothing is asked except for traffic ticket documents. I believe I am going to take a calculated risk in the amount of documents I'll bring to the interview. What are you planning to do?

thank you huracan. You are always there for help. I appreciate it much. I will post my interview experience. I hope everything will go fine.