San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

Hi Hurcan,
Thanks for the info. I will try to get schedule an i.nfopsass.

Has any one got an infopass to post-pone your oath ceremony? If so, can you please share your experience ?
Thanks

Hi,
I attaended my interview on Oct 9th . I got a letter for oath on Nov 27th. But I am traveling to India on Dec 1st. I want to post-pone my oath. What is the best way? If I take a infopass appt, and go to it with my oath letter, will they postpone it right away ? Or is it better to send the request by certfied mail. If by mail, should I send tne mail to San Jose INS ?

Appreciate everybody's help.

Thanks

Since you are traveling 4 days after your oath, why don't you take it and then leave, why do you want to postpone it, i wouldn't........ who knows what orwhen they will scheduale it.....just my 2 cents and a half;)

Since you are traveling 4 days after your oath, why don't you take it and then leave, why do you want to postpone it, i wouldn't........ who knows what orwhen they will scheduale it.....just my 2 cents and a half;)
Hi ninim, once you take oath you cannot travel outside of the US until you get your US Passport.

Desifan, when I had my Infopass I was able to schedule it for the next day. If you are not in a hurry to become a citizen I would go in and maybe they can even take your request to reschedule the oath ceremony at the Infopass. Otherwise, as Huracan mentioned, try to schedule an appointment to get your passport on the day after your oath, may be tight though. Does anyone know if they give you the passport at the SF agency on the same day?

Here is the link to the agency:
http://travel.state.gov/passport/about/agencies/agencies_900.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
I attaended my interview on Oct 9th . I got a letter for oath on Nov 27th. But I am traveling to India on Dec 1st. I want to post-pone my oath. What is the best way? If I take a infopass appt, and go to it with my oath letter, will they postpone it right away ? Or is it better to send the request by certfied mail. If by mail, should I send tne mail to San Jose INS ?

Appreciate everybody's help.

Thanks
Here is my experience (Mentioned in my earlier posts).
Oath Scheduled sep 19th 07.
Unfortunately unable to attend so sent a letter to Laguna Niguel address on the envelope about 5 days before the oath. Few days later around end of Sep Called the 800number (don't remember now but a help number for immigration) and they said I should send the letter to a local office and not to Laguna Niguel.

So I have posted a letter to the San Jose local office but fortunately on the same day I received a letter from them saying "you have failed to attend the Oath and will be re-scheduling it for later date and time which will be notified"

I got another letter for Nov 28th Oath ceremony. Huh! they have oath on nov 27th too?

I heard you can get the passport in a day if you show the travel documents (Ofcouse they charge you more)
I believe you should be able to get the Visa to India on the same day at SFO (Not very sure but I believe that is how it works for the VISA to India)

That's nice that they didn't consider your application abandoned and that they sent you the letter saying that they would reschedule your ceremony automatically. That's good service, isn't it?

That's nice that they didn't consider your application abandoned and that they sent you the letter saying that they would reschedule your ceremony automatically. That's good service, isn't it?

Or it might be that the Laguna Niguel has processed as it should have our info there too.

Even though San Jose is our local office I see the envelope has Laguna Niguel as the return address always.

hi guys...i went to my interview this morning...it was scheduled for 7.45am...i was there 7.20am....was called in by a Asian Lady officer"Chan" at 8.00am .........
she asked me for my passport ,Id and GC....asked if i had travelled outside oft he US since i applied for the citizenship......i had not

She had me swear in and then asked my name ,confirmed the address ,phone no.,husband's name .. and then asked for my marriage certificate.....i told her that i did not have that on me right now and that mine was not family based so in the check list it was mentioned if i am filing as a spouse of a citizen only then i needed to bring it in and my Husband is on H1,he is not filing with me...i was getting a lil scared by now thinking that i will be rescheduled for another day bcoz of this....her response was that i was not married when i filed so she needs to see the proof of marriage....i argued that its not true coz i have been marrried for last 4 yrs and when i filed for citizenship i had mentioned in that and no proof was asked at that time......so she said that when i filed for the green card i was not married....i personally in my heart was thinking what a MORON.....they never asked for it so how do i know that i will need this here, i dont carry all my life history with me........well she was my Maibaap at that point so i stopped arguing and she moved on to how many kids i have and how many marriages......what basis did i get my GC and what do i do now...i have moved on to owning a business in the same feild that i had gotten GC in ...that seemed to have satisfied her.......She asked me if i support US form of Govt. and if need be am i ready to bear arms for the country......i replied yes and then added "i dunno if i will be of any use in the battlefeild but i cut hair and thread eyebrows really good" she looked up at me from her papers and laughed a lil....(i am a beautician)
that was the only expression that i ever saw on her face ...she was very stern all the time.....she was not rude,but with no expression... stern........
Then she had me write a sentense in english......

Then came the civic question and answer round round.....asked me 6-7 questions
1) name the first president of the US
2)How many senators in the senate
3)Name 2 CA senators
4)what yr was the constitution written
5)What is the constitution
6)What countries did the US fight in the worldwar-2
7)How many members in the house of representatives

I had answered all correctly.....then she had me sign some documents which basically had my info on it and said the she is recommending my application for approval......and that i will get my oath letter in mail in 1 to 2 months...i was schocked coz 2 months is a long wait just for oath and thats what i said to her...she replied that this is not in her hand......

It took not more than 15mins for the interview........

Now someone enlighten me how should i apply for my new US passport after i take my oath?? :)

you guys/gals were all very nice and helpful in tracking this.....thanks

Interview Experience

Had my interview at SJ Monterey Hwy. Reached just a few minutes before interview time. Got called in about 15 minutes after waiting. There were not too many people in the room (maybe 10-15).

The officer asked for passport, GC, Driver License, Appointment letter. Had the same standard questions, going over questions in the form, address, phone number etc. I had a minor traffic violation so pointed out that it was non DUI, no proof of payment needed. Was asked to write a sentence. Civics test was printed sheet of questions and asked to read each questions and reply verbally. Questions were straight forward (from the list of std 94/96 questions). Had taken a lot of stuff but fortunately did not need anything else.

Asked about oath and if it's possible to get Nov date. Was told that Nov is full but that may have something in Dec. So, on to waiting for the oath letter now.

Overall experience was pleasant after the fact. But, unless you have gone through it, it is very tense until the time you have cleared it. Also, as others may have mentioned, it's better to be overprepared with documentation even though it was not needed. Also, I would suggest not to rely on Yahoo (or any other) directions. Make sure to study how to get to exact location before hand and allow for plenty of buffer time.

Well,I took the infopass and they said the application was approved on the same day of the interview,may be they just needed to check something. They told me ,that application is approved and just wait for the oath letter.
Thanks for your comments.

Here is my experience (Mentioned in my earlier posts).
Oath Scheduled sep 19th 07.
Unfortunately unable to attend so sent a letter to Laguna Niguel address on the envelope about 5 days before the oath. Few days later around end of Sep Called the 800number (don't remember now but a help number for immigration) and they said I should send the letter to a local office and not to Laguna Niguel.

So I have posted a letter to the San Jose local office but fortunately on the same day I received a letter from them saying "you have failed to attend the Oath and will be re-scheduling it for later date and time which will be notified"

I got another letter for Nov 28th Oath ceremony. Huh! they have oath on nov 27th too?

I heard you can get the passport in a day if you show the travel documents (Ofcouse they charge you more)
I believe you should be able to get the Visa to India on the same day at SFO (Not very sure but I believe that is how it works for the VISA to India)

Hi,
My oath ceremony was on Nov 28th . Anyway, I took an infopass appointment yesterday, and checked with IIO. She said I could postpone only by mail. I sent my mail today to San Jose office. On the the other hand, I asked her about my wife's application status, tand she said that they have received the letter requesting to post-pone her interview scheduled for Oct 9th( same as mine)

Keeping my fingers crossed for January oath.

Sorry I was not in touch earlier.

Had the interview at San Jose last month 22nd .

Mostly it happened the way everyone described. Started out by swearing to tell the truth etc etc.

No out of line questions, very friendly officer, ready to help in any way. I got very easy questions ( I forgot which ones). I also mentioned about the traffic ticket that I had forgotten to mention in the application. The officer said it doesn't even matter.

I was told I should expect Oath letter & have oath by Nov-end or Dec beginning.

Got the oath letter at the INS itself for Dec 6th ( I think, need to recheck)...

Thanks to all those who contributed to this forum.

We have got our Oath Letters

Hello all,
Thanks for all your replies for my previous question. We both have got our Oath letters on Nov 4th for November 28th 10 am appointment.

Thanks,
Anbhu

N-400 timeline
DO : San Jose
01/23/2007 : Mailed N-400 to CSC (regular USPS)
01/27/2007 : N-400 Received date
02/08/2007 : Priority Date
03/23/2007 : FP Notice Date/Appt
10/02/2007 : Interview Date - Passed
11/28/2007 : Oath appt. ( Received on Nov4th).

Please see signature for an update on my Oath dates.

Anyone else got Dec 6th at Monetery?

Thanks for confirming that there is oath in Dec. I was told that there might be oath in Dec itself, contrary to what others have been told (not in Dec, end of Jan).

Hope to get OL soon.

any luck on your IL?

Hi luckjack,

I am not very knowledgeable about interview and oath because I am not that far in the process yet.
But since she told you that you will get the oath letter, you should have nothing to worry about; just relax and wait for the letter.
As for the questions you did not answer, I don't recall they appear in the booklet that they give out during fingerprint.

Any luck on the interview dates? Nothing as of yet for me. Looks like If we don't receive our interview notice in the next couple of weeks, it probably won't be scheduled until after the New Year .. looks like it is taking even LONGER these days ...

------------------------------
04/17/07: FedExed
04/19/07: Received
04/19/07: Priority Date
04/20/07: Notice Date
05/10/07: FP Notice
06/14/07: FP Appt and Done
??/??/??: Interview
??/??/??: Oath

Any luck on the interview dates? Nothing as of yet for me. Looks like If we don't receive our interview notice in the next couple of weeks, it probably won't be scheduled until after the New Year .. looks like it is taking even LONGER these days ...

------------------------------
04/17/07: FedExed
04/19/07: Received
04/19/07: Priority Date
04/20/07: Notice Date
05/10/07: FP Notice
06/14/07: FP Appt and Done
??/??/??: Interview
??/??/??: Oath

bkarth,

No, not yet.
From our spreadsheet, the mid-month letters should come in between 15th and 19th.
So maybe we'll see them at the end of this week.
I check the egov web site every day although it may not be updated at all.
I am crossing my fingers.
Yes, I guess it is good to have the interview before Christmas as the officers may be in better mood. :D
I don't know about other people, but I feel down in Jan after the holidays.

bkarth,

No, not yet.
From our spreadsheet, the mid-month letters should come in between 15th and 19th.
So maybe we'll see them at the end of this week.
I check the egov web site every day although it may not be updated at all.
I am crossing my fingers.
Yes, I guess it is good to have the interview before Christmas as the officers may be in better mood. :D
I don't know about other people, but I feel down in Jan after the holidays.

ahsieh, thanks for maintaining the spreadsheet. It looks like the time lag between FP appointment and interview appointment is trending towards 6.5mo.

Check Cashed - Means anything?

Hi All,

Thanks a lot for sharing your information - extremely useful. I have a question - I noticed yesterday that our checks were cashed. Does it mean we should expect Finger Print notice soon? The reason is that we are going to India on vacation for 2 months at end of Nov. But the CSC tracker at USCIS says they are still processing 08/09 applications.

N-400 Mailed to CSC on 09/28
Received at CSC on 10/01
???

Thanks
Eswar

Received resceduled interview notice for my wife . eom

My wife's interview originally scheduled for Oct 9th. Requested for a date after Jan 1st '08. Interview rescheduled to Jan 4th 2008.