San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

Hi Anand,

Your dates are exactly same as mine. My wife got her Oath Letter on 11/2/07 for 11/28/07 oath. I did'nt get mine yet. :(

Srinivasa

Great news loveduser and others. Congratulations !!! Finally after 11 months of waiting you will be citizens ....
Thanks.

Yes about 17days short of an year. The passport will take that time anyway :). I may not go for expedited pp as it seems we are receving it in 2 to 3 weeks with regular process.

This is probably the first video I have seen posted of a ceremony at the Campbell theater. It is by no means complete, but it gives a good idea and it shows the moment that the naturalization certificates are given away, and some other portions of the ceremony. I don't think all the pieces shown in the video are in the right sequence, the giving out of the certificates is the last thing done before leaving the auditorium, as far as I remember.

http://www.mercurynewsphoto.com/blog/2007/11/04/new-citizens/

Oath letter pending

Just FYI: I passed my interview on Oct. 10th (the same day as aramamurthy). The immigration officer informed me that Nov. 28th would be my oath date, but I haven't yet received an oath letter. :(

BTW, is 1-800-375-5283 the correct number to call USCIS, if I need to? Of course, they would want me to wait 90 days before calling. (I have already searched the forum for the phone number, but the search facility has defeated me.)

My Citizenship Interview Experience.

Hi All,
Today I went for the citizen ship interview and a lady called me 10 minutes before the actual scheduled time. Well,
I went inside and she asked quite a few questions about American history and government. But I did not answer few questions. I thought I will be asked only those flash card questions,but to my surprise she asked other questions too. The questions that I did not answer are given below,

Are president and vice president elected at the same time ?
What is the term of the vice president?
What is the term of the chief justice ?

After that,she asked me about my job and then finally she gave me a letter by ticking the following option.

You Passed the test of English and US history and goverment.

Then of the two options below, she ticked the option B.

A) Congraulations! Your application has been recommended for approval.

B) A decision cannot yet be made about your application.

In the first option, it felt like she signed and striked it off. I dont know what that means and I did not ask her what it is. Somehow I felt she did not like being asked too many questions and I did not want to risk her anger. Can some one share their ideas on this.

She asked me if I have any vacation plan in the next 3 months to which I said I am not sure ,but I finally said at this point I dont have any such plans.
And then she said the oath letters can come in the next 3 months and they would give a nice 2 & 1/2 week notice for attending the oath. She said the next thing for me is to wait for the oath letter.

So guys, do you think everything is ok here. If so, when will the oath letter arrive? Please share your ideas and opinions about this.

Thanks.

Sorry I did not mention it previously. My interview was in the san jose office. Yeah as my message indicates, they dont do the same day oath. But is that the reason,why they cannot make a decision about my application.
Or alternatively ,only after the oath is made, they will check the option "Congratulations! Your application has been recommended for approval".
Please respond. thanks.

Hi luckjack,

I am not very knowledgeable about interview and oath because I am not that far in the process yet.
But since she told you that you will get the oath letter, you should have nothing to worry about; just relax and wait for the letter.
As for the questions you did not answer, I don't recall they appear in the booklet that they give out during fingerprint.

Also I did travel right after I applied for citizenship. In fact right after I got receipt notice on 03/07/07,
I left US on 03/23/07 and came back on 04/26/07.
And she was particularly asking about that question as well,but I dont know if that is reason. If that is reason, what is the issue now, how much time does it take to verify. can you please share your ideas.

02/28/2007 : Mailed to CSC
03/7/2007 : Notice/receive Date
05/09/2007 : FP Done.
11/05/2007 : Interview Appointment

I am planning to take an infopass and check it out,please do share your ideas.
Thanks.

Don't torture yourself. Wait a couple of months and you'll get your oath letter. I don't know about other people, but I have trouble understanding what was the outcome of your interview. This is the wrong place to ask why a decision cannot yet be made for your application. The IO was the right person to ask this question. It could be because it needs additional background checks, an additional A-file, supervisor review, who knows. Just give it some time, nothing you say seems to raise any red flags, so my recommendation would be to be patient for now.

My 2 cents.

Huracan,
Thanks for your response. I am not torturing myself. I am not really worried how much time it takes. Let them take whatever time they want to take. The only thing I wanted to know was if the application is pending, then I want to know what documents they need from me (Or is there any thing that I need to do). And that is something I am curious about. As long as we do whatever we are supposed to do,we are fine.

Anyways, thanks again for your response.

Thanks.

I don't think you need to send any documents. It doesn't look from what you wrote that they asked you for any documents. I think the only thing you can do for now is wait for the oath letter as the IO told you.

Answers

Hi All,
Today I went for the citizen ship interview and a lady called me 10 minutes before the actual scheduled time. Well,
I went inside and she asked quite a few questions about American history and government. But I did not answer few questions. I thought I will be asked only those flash card questions,but to my surprise she asked other questions too. The questions that I did not answer are given below,

What is the term of the chief justice ?

After that,she asked me about my job and then finally she gave me a letter by ticking the following option.

You Passed the test of English and US history and goverment.

Then of the two options below, she ticked the option B.

A) Congraulations! Your application has been recommended for approval.

B) A decision cannot yet be made about your application.

In the first option, it felt like she signed and striked it off. I dont know what that means and I did not ask her what it is. Somehow I felt she did not like being asked too many questions and I did not want to risk her anger. Can some one share their ideas on this.

She asked me if I have any vacation plan in the next 3 months to which I said I am not sure ,but I finally said at this point I dont have any such plans.
And then she said the oath letters can come in the next 3 months and they would give a nice 2 & 1/2 week notice for attending the oath. She said the next thing for me is to wait for the oath letter.

So guys, do you think everything is ok here. If so, when will the oath letter arrive? Please share your ideas and opinions about this.

Thanks.

I feel these are all the correct answers to the questions posted

Yes

4 years

What is the term length for Supreme Court Justices?
Once a Justice has been confirmed, he or she can serve on the Supreme Court for life “during good behavior.” Supreme Court Justices can only be removed through resignation or impeachment. The only Supreme Court Justice ever to have been impeached by the House of Representatives was Samuel P. Chase, in 1804. The Senate vote failed, and he remained on the Supreme Court until his death in 1811.

------------------
04/17/07: FedExed
04/19/07: Received
04/19/07: Priority Date
04/20/07: Notice Date
05/10/07: FP Notice
06/14/07: FP Appt and Done
??/??/??: Interview :(
??/??/??: Oath

This may be a stupid question to some, i have been trying to figure this out without success. To physically mail the application, can the application for husband and wife be mailed in a single envelope or need to send in seperate envelope.
Thanks

This may be a stupid question to some, i have been trying to figure this out without success. To physically mail the application, can the application for husband and wife be mailed in a single envelope or need to send in seperate envelope.
Thanks

I sent both applications in a single envelope. We received our fingerprinting appointment on the same day/same time. So I would say, send in same envelope.

I sent two separate envelopes, I didn't want to get documents mixed up. Other people (including myself) have suggested sending each application in its own envelope and both envelopes inside a third one, so you end one single envelope containing two envelopes inside.

My 2 cents.

Postponing Oath sceduled for Nov 27th

Hi,
I attaended my interview on Oct 9th . I got a letter for oath on Nov 27th. But I am traveling to India on Dec 1st. I want to post-pone my oath. What is the best way? If I take a infopass appt, and go to it with my oath letter, will they postpone it right away ? Or is it better to send the request by certfied mail. If by mail, should I send tne mail to San Jose INS ?

Appreciate everybody's help.

Thanks

to both of you thanks for the answer. The option two in one envelope making more sense as the material will be seperated by two but in the same envelope.
Thanks

I don't know all the intricacies of traveling to India, for example I don't know if you need a visa if you are a U.S. citizen. Probably not, as I don't remember this being mentioned before. What I'd suggest is to go to the ceremony and then go to San Francisco passport agency to get a passport in a rush. You'll probably have to make an appointment before hand. If you time everything right you should be able to get the passport before your trip. Otherwise you'll have to wait until January at least for your ceremony.

If you're determined to postpone the oath I think I would schedule an Infopass. I am not sure how they are doing with mail after the rush of applications at the end of July. You wouldn't like the mail to be sitting in their mail room until after the ceremony and your application being considered abandoned. I don't think they can reschedule your oath during the Infopass, but perhaps they can receive your request of changing the oath date. Make photocopies of your oath letter as reference in case they keep your original during the Infopass.

Again, although it is a close shave it might be better to attend your oath as scheduled.

Hi,
I attended my interview on Oct 9th . I got a letter for oath on Nov 27th. But I am traveling to India on Dec 1st. I want to post-pone my oath. What is the best way? If I take a infopass appt, and go to it with my oath letter, will they postpone it right away ? Or is it better to send the request by certified mail. If by mail, should I send tne mail to San Jose INS ?

Appreciate everybody's help.

Thanks