San Francisco Regional DOL Tracker - Old (Archived on 09/23/2004)

Status
Not open for further replies.
... and yet it chooses to ignore the cause of "forum shopping"... which is their pathetically slow processing.... it takes more than 2 years to get through in NY and CA - instead of wasting their time going after people who are able to get the LC's soon, they should spend time adjudicating more applications in afflicted states.

Originally posted by tonysharma
Philadelphia Region DOL Warns against Forum Shopping

A quick review of the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) Case-Processing Chart reflects that the time it takes to process a labor certification case, whether RIR or non-RIR, varies widely according to the location of filing. Although DOL processing is within the purview of federal law that should be uniform and consistent throughout the United States, the reality is different. The processing times for certain states is measured in years, while for other states it is measured in months. This disparity in processing times has provided an incentive to some companies to try establishing a proper basis for filing in the faster jurisdictions. The DOL has started to closely scrutinize these cases, at least in the Philadelphia and Boston Regions.

The USCIS announced on February 17, 2004, that the H1B Cap has been reached for fiscal year (FY) 2004. All petitions that fall under the cap that are received after the close of business on February 17, 2004, will be rejected. This means that all fees will be returned, along with the petitions. The USCIS will begin accepting cases that will fall under the FY2005 cap on April 1, 2004. These applications should request a start date of October 1, 2004, or later.

------------sheela murthy.com

Re: Re: Is this true

On paper they go based on RD, but they sometimes do some special review of certain DOT codes when they break the queue and jump ahead. Early last year they were processing applications for cooks at break neck speed (seen some which got approved with weeks of coming to DOL).

DOL is like a class object you just say boolean myGC = dol.LC() ;
the implementation is hidden from the class users. :D

Do DOL goes by DOT code or RD ??????
good to know nov/dec 2002 and feb.2003 is in pipeline ......though it is all confusing to mee
DOL SFO looks like guru dutt's movies
thanx
Tony

Re: Re: Re: Transmitted to DOL...Not yet Received at DOL

In this case, does the DOL RD reflect the date it was actually received at DOL, or does RD become the date it gets updated in AVM. If it is the latter, isn't it like losing ~6 months?

Originally posted by jnathan
FYI - It took my case 6 months to show up on the DOL AVM, after it was transmitted from SESA.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Transmitted to DOL...Not yet Received at DOL

I believe the PD will be date the application was received @ DOL. So you will not be losing 6 months. AVM for my case says received in late Jan, but my lawyers site gives March as the receipt date.

Originally posted by worker_bee
In this case, does the DOL RD reflect the date it was actually received at DOL, or does RD become the date it gets updated in AVM. If it is the latter, isn't it like losing ~6 months?

Re: Re: Employer Choosen Remanded cases

I finally got the following response from my lawyers ->
My team met with the DOL a few weeks back. They were very clear that the DOL memo was intended only to recall those cases that were sent to the State by the DOL where the employer was not given a choice (auto-remand). The number cases they are adding to their current work load is approximately 3000-4000 cases. They will not consider recalling any other cases at this time and the memo was clear about this.

So, I guess, no good news here either.

Originally posted by babaloo
None that I know of. If somebody has received a LC in this category or knows something about it, please post it here.

Re: Re: Re: Employer Choosen Remanded cases

Thats sad to hear.

It is pure bad luck i guess that we happened to file our LC few months earlier than the ones that have been auto remanded. Hope some miracle happens that changes DOLs position.

Jinx

Originally posted by bhadrinath
My team met with the DOL a few weeks back. They were very clear that the DOL memo was intended only to recall those cases that were sent to the State by the DOL where the employer was not given a choice (auto-remand). The number cases they are adding to their current work load is approximately 3000-4000 cases. They will not consider recalling any other cases at this time and the memo was clear about this.

The setting up of the backlog reduction centers for clearing the labor application before the onset of PERM, is the only miracle that we can hope for, in the near future. But, still there is hope....

Re: Re: Re: Re: Transmitted to DOL...Not yet Received at DOL

No u dont lose 6 months.
It only takes 6 months to update their system.

Originally posted by worker_bee

Re: Re: Re: Employer Choosen Remanded cases

This sucks, and is completely unfair to those candidates &
employers. The employer, scared of the DOL and the effort
involved, doesn't challenge the 3 option letter, and all those
candidates are hosed left rotting in the State's traditional queue.

And similar candidates after Nov 2002 are getting certified without
questions.

Originally posted by bhadrinath

what about BS+0 YEARS exp cases remanded any idea?

My case got auto remanded on july 15th 2003. I came to know thru my lawyer that he applied my case with BS+0 YEARS experience even I have 6 YEARS. AVM says still remanded.

Anybody similar situation got it back from SESA TO DOL?
Please let me know what to do...
Please post all your experiences regarding this situation...

Regards
Seenu
999-151-021
PD:OCT 7TH 2001
RD:SEP 30TH 2002
REMANDED: JULY 15TH 2003

Re: what about BS+0 YEARS exp cases remanded any idea?

Seenu,

You can ask your Attorney to request EDD to send the case back to DOL. DOL may then issue the 3-option letter. You can modify the LC requirements to BS+3 and resubmit. You can then hope for an approval as per the Carlson memo. However, the time factor for all these processes is the biggest risk. We do not know how things will change in the future. At present, this looks to be best alternative when compared to waiting and doing nothing.

Originally posted by ksrinu
My case got auto remanded on july 15th 2003. I came to know thru my lawyer that he applied my case with BS+0 YEARS experience even I have 6 YEARS. AVM says still remanded.

Anybody similar situation got it back from SESA TO DOL?
Please let me know what to do...
Please post all your experiences regarding this situation...

Regards
Seenu
999-151-021
PD:OCT 7TH 2001
RD:SEP 30TH 2002
REMANDED: JULY 15TH 2003

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks babaloo

Babaloo,

Thanks for your help..
I talked to SESA people they told me they need to get the request from DOL....
I told my lawyer regarding this...couple of months back.
He informed me 3 weeks back they were going to reconsider it soon... But nothing is happend upto now...
And my lawyer will never contact very bad communicator.
That is the problem with him...

Regards
seenu

Re: Re: Is this true

Yes...its true. This friend of mine whose feb 2003 lc was certified is in Bay area working for a big company in Mountain View. He is in Sys admin. Also he said that for their company the lc's came in a big chunk. Including some from Feb too.

So I hoping to hear good news soon for everybody between Nov Dec Jan and Feb

Do DOL goes by DOT code or RD ??????
good to know nov/dec 2002 and feb.2003 is in pipeline ......though it is all confusing to mee
DOL SFO looks like guru dutt's movies
thanx
Tony

Re: Re: what about BS+0 YEARS exp cases remanded any idea?

No, you can't change the basic requirement of position such as BS+0 or MS+0, but you can add some extra skills such as unix, java, http etc. This is what my lawyer told me , since I have asked him the same question, it make sense too. So we added some extra skills. Skills you add has to be generic, can't be specific, for example you can say web server but not sun's web server or microsoft web server. Can't even mention version of web server.

Thanks
Krishna

Originally posted by babaloo
Seenu,

You can ask your Attorney to request EDD to send the case back to DOL. DOL may then issue the 3-option letter. You can modify the LC requirements to BS+3 and resubmit. You can then hope for an approval as per the Carlson memo. However, the time factor for all these processes is the biggest risk. We do not know how things will change in the future. At present, this looks to be best alternative when compared to waiting and doing nothing.

Hilarious!

As of February 13, the number of I-485s pending is 1.2 million applications.
Source is: http://www.usvisanews.com/memo2218.html

I think by the time they get our applications in, ofcourse if approved by DOL, a New Republic of Banana would have evolved and everyone would want to immigrate there instead of immigrating to the US.

Just a thought

KrishnaMK,

Thanks for your earlier reply to my message. That was really helpful.

However, I don't understand why you say we cant modify the requirements like MS+0 to MS+6months in my case.

I am attaching the memo text here

====================================
The cases which were automatically remanded to the EDD this summer due to the issue of worker availability will be returned to DOL for reconsideration. However, Labor Certification Applications requiring only a BS degree and no experience will remain at EDD for regular processing. EDD is in the process of returning these remand cases to DOL. The estimated time frame is as follows: 1.Cases remanded in June 2003 will be returned by December 15, 2003; 2. Cases remanded between July 1-10, 2003 will be returned by January 1, 2004; and 3. Cases remanded after July 10, 2003 have not been logged in yet. These cases will be logged in and out at the same time and returned to DOL by April 2004. Department of Labor's New Guidelines for Processing RIR Cases. (11-29-2003) [Top] On November 20, 2003, the Department of Labor (DOL) issued new guidance with respect to processing RIR Labor Certification Applications. Currently, several Regional Offices have a significant backlog of RIR cases. The current labor market would normally require that a number of these cases be remanded (returned) to the State Workforce Agency for conventional recruitment. However in some regions the remanding of a large number of cases would create additional backlogs. To avoid additional backlogs in the light of the imminent implementation of PERM, the following guidelines have been developed. All RIR applications will be initially reviewed. Applications not meeting current requirements will be issued a Notice of Finding (NOF). Applications meeting current requirements will be further reviewed. Applications for positions requiring a Bachelor's Degree and three (3) or more years of experience OR a Master's Degree and six (6) months or more experience, assuming these requirements are appropriate, should be certified and not subject to retest provisions. Applications not meeting the above criteria will be reviewed further to determine if the level of recruitment and the details provided in the recruitment report satisfy the Certifying Officer. If recruitment efforts and documentation satisfy the Certifying Officer, then these applications should be certified. For any remaining applications, the following options will be made available to the employer: 1. Withdraw the RIR application; 2. Withdraw the RIR request and request that the case to be returned to the State Workforce Agency (Employment Development Department in California) for processing as a regular application with the originally filed priority date, unless requested otherwise. 3. Conduct a one-day "retest" of the labor market within 60 days of the date of the DOL letter. When additional recruitment is requested, DOL will permit employers to utilize advertisements placed within the past six (6) months. Thus, if an employer has retested the market within the past (6) months, it is not necessary for the employer to readvertise (retest). Employers who retest the market shall be permitted to make modifications to the application requirements, which do not change the occupational classification of the job opportunity at the original time of filing. Changes may include different job requirements or additional duties. However, any adjustments must meet DOL criteria and the acceptance of these changes will remain within the discretion of the respective Certifying Officer.
============================================

It clearly says we can modify the job requirements also.

Thanks..

Approved

I have been a silent observer of this thread.

After nearly 3 years of waiting in the line, the VM played wonderful tunes to my ears!

Labor Certified...

Here is some background on my case:
Company: Big Bay Area Tech Company
Layoffs: more than 10%
Hiring recently: Yeah, quiet a bit
Autoremanded: Yes
Case returned to DOL: Sep 2002
Case approved: 19th Feb. 2003
Position: Software Engineer.. ( I dont remember my DOT)

anyways, good luck to you guys. I will migrate to other threads and hope to see you all very soon there...

Cheers
Sai

That was what my lawyer told me when i asked him the same question, he could be wrong, let me know what your lawyer says.

according to following words from memo , it doesn't say about educatianal qualification changes though? and it also says "changes has to meet DOL criteria", I don't know that they are.

I just posting, how my lawyer handled my case which is same as yours.

Good luck
Krishna

"Changes may include different job requirements or additional duties. However, any adjustments must meet DOL criteria and the acceptance of these changes will remain within the discretion of the respective Certifying Officer"

Originally posted by gkmhan
KrishnaMK,

Thanks for your earlier reply to my message. That was really helpful.

However, I don't understand why you say we cant modify the requirements like MS+0 to MS+6months in my case.

I am attaching the memo text here

====================================
The cases which were automatically remanded to the EDD this summer due to the issue of worker availability will be returned to DOL for reconsideration. However, Labor Certification Applications requiring only a BS degree and no experience will remain at EDD for regular processing. EDD is in the process of returning these remand cases to DOL. The estimated time frame is as follows: 1.Cases remanded in June 2003 will be returned by December 15, 2003; 2. Cases remanded between July 1-10, 2003 will be returned by January 1, 2004; and 3. Cases remanded after July 10, 2003 have not been logged in yet. These cases will be logged in and out at the same time and returned to DOL by April 2004. Department of Labor's New Guidelines for Processing RIR Cases. (11-29-2003) [Top] On November 20, 2003, the Department of Labor (DOL) issued new guidance with respect to processing RIR Labor Certification Applications. Currently, several Regional Offices have a significant backlog of RIR cases. The current labor market would normally require that a number of these cases be remanded (returned) to the State Workforce Agency for conventional recruitment. However in some regions the remanding of a large number of cases would create additional backlogs. To avoid additional backlogs in the light of the imminent implementation of PERM, the following guidelines have been developed. All RIR applications will be initially reviewed. Applications not meeting current requirements will be issued a Notice of Finding (NOF). Applications meeting current requirements will be further reviewed. Applications for positions requiring a Bachelor's Degree and three (3) or more years of experience OR a Master's Degree and six (6) months or more experience, assuming these requirements are appropriate, should be certified and not subject to retest provisions. Applications not meeting the above criteria will be reviewed further to determine if the level of recruitment and the details provided in the recruitment report satisfy the Certifying Officer. If recruitment efforts and documentation satisfy the Certifying Officer, then these applications should be certified. For any remaining applications, the following options will be made available to the employer: 1. Withdraw the RIR application; 2. Withdraw the RIR request and request that the case to be returned to the State Workforce Agency (Employment Development Department in California) for processing as a regular application with the originally filed priority date, unless requested otherwise. 3. Conduct a one-day "retest" of the labor market within 60 days of the date of the DOL letter. When additional recruitment is requested, DOL will permit employers to utilize advertisements placed within the past six (6) months. Thus, if an employer has retested the market within the past (6) months, it is not necessary for the employer to readvertise (retest). Employers who retest the market shall be permitted to make modifications to the application requirements, which do not change the occupational classification of the job opportunity at the original time of filing. Changes may include different job requirements or additional duties. However, any adjustments must meet DOL criteria and the acceptance of these changes will remain within the discretion of the respective Certifying Officer.
============================================

It clearly says we can modify the job requirements also.

Thanks..

Re: Approved

Congragulations Sai, its nice of you to post your status. Hopefully you can guide us in the 140/485 stage, when and if at all we reach there.

Best of Luck.

Originally posted by saimad
I have been a silent observer of this thread.

After nearly 3 years of waiting in the line, the VM played wonderful tunes to my ears!

Labor Certified...

Here is some background on my case:
Company: Big Bay Area Tech Company
Layoffs: more than 10%
Hiring recently: Yeah, quiet a bit
Autoremanded: Yes
Case returned to DOL: Sep 2002
Case approved: 19th Feb. 2003
Position: Software Engineer.. ( I dont remember my DOT)

anyways, good luck to you guys. I will migrate to other threads and hope to see you all very soon there...

Cheers
Sai

DOL Case Number

I got the DOL case number from my attorney as P2003CAxxxxxxxx . How do i read the case number to check the status. is it the last 8 digits or the entire number as P2003CAxxxxxxxx.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.