Same day passport!

She said (again, assuming she knows her stuff) that I CAN travel out to wherever I'm going and if it's an extended trip (which it is) can make my passport at an overseas US Embassy.

If she's wrong, then telling a consular official "some random person in a call center told me I could this" won't carry much weight.

I am sure you are still high. Whenever you travel outside the US, unless you are an LPR, airline officials usually asks for I-94 or look for one in your passport, and when you don't have one, then they will need a reason for failure to produce one. In large airports like IAD in the DC suburbs, you will be held on one side while they consult with CBP on the ground.

I have never been asked for an I-94, nor have I ever seen or heard of someone being detained for failure to produce one on departure from the US.

I am sure you are still high. Whenever you travel outside the US, unless you are an LPR, airline officials usually asks for I-94 or look for one in your passport, and when you don't have one, then they will need a reason for failure to produce one. In large airports like IAD in the DC suburbs, you will be held on one side while they consult with CBP on the ground. In short, the issue you are trying to highlight about your wife doesn't exist. I know that she only shows her parent's country of origin passport when she arrives in that country and when she leaves to come back to the US. You can't board any airline bound for the US without a valid US visa, so that's when the US passport comes in handy. J, you might need to relax and stop acting like you know it all...life is too short to be wrong 90% of the time..lol!!!

I saw your response and just confirmed with my wife and she said she hands them both passports for them to pick which one they want and they hand them back for her to get on her way.

I'll put a halt to this (I will try anyway). I just called the Passport folks on the 1-877-487-2778 number. She said (again, assuming she knows her stuff) that I CAN travel out to wherever I'm going and if it's an extended trip (which it is) can make my passport at an overseas US Embassy. Just be prepared for possibly higher fees.

I know you got this info from that person but this does not sound right to me. My understanding is that once you are an American citizen, you must depart and enter the US with an American passport. If you are a dual citizen, holding both US and British citizenship, using the scenario laid out in your hypothetical option mentioned earlier: You leave the US on your UK passport, someone delivers your new US passport to you in UK and then you intend to return to the US with the new US passport. Firstly wouldn't the British authorities check for your immigration/customs stamp in your US passport and raise an issue there? Similar questions could be asked on arrival in the US if there are no sign of the passport being used. Either way, it seems that you're setting yourself up for a few unnecessary complications and explanations if you go the above route and then questions are asked by authorities.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah - I don't think I want to deal with any hassle. It's taken me long enough to get here! Quick question. Will a 2:30pm appointment at a passport center still get you a passport on the same day?? That's real quick service I've got to say.

BritishGuy, I'm with you, except that I have a Canadian passport. I don't understand why there is an option to apply for a US passport (1st time application) overseas if it is "illegal" for a US citizen to leave without a US passport. Anyhow, does anyone how much it is going to cost for a same day passport?

I have never been asked for an I-94, nor have I ever seen or heard of someone being detained for failure to produce one on departure from the US.

TRC,

I know of one person who was held at the airline counter while CBP was being consulted. He looked arab, so it might have been an issue of profiling the gentleman. It wasn't a long detention, maybe 15 minutes or so. I am not sure if you ever had an I-94 or not, but it is pretty common for people coming from many countries, except canada or mexico...lol!!

I know which passport they usually pick, blue one with these words "United States of America". She should hand them US passport, only hand over the passport from Zimbabwe when she arrives in Zimbabwe to see where her parents are from....lol!!!

Will a 2:30pm appointment at a passport center still get you a passport on the same day??

Unlikely, but try pleading.
Also, I presume you are going at 2:30 because you got an appointment at 2:30 and not because your oath is at 1 PM. Basically, if you have an appointment at 2:30, feel free to land up an hour early (or more) ... the earlier you reach, the better.
In general, they will give passport next day if you go so late. But I recall exactly one experience here over the last year where someone begged / pressurized them to give it within the hour by showing the travel need.

I don't understand why there is an option to apply for a US passport (1st time application) overseas if it is "illegal" for a US citizen to leave without a US passport.

Some USC are born in other countries.
Same day passport costs USD 60 (same as expedited service), plus your time (trips to passport agency), but you save on the mailings.

The reason I'm going at 2:30pm is because my Oath is at 8am. As soon as I'm done, I'm running to the airport and getting on the 10am flight to Houston (from Orlando) - I am traveling the very next day! The whole of the east coast has NO appointments on the 6th and I figured I'd go to Houston as I gain an hour in the flight. I'll probably get there earlier than 2:30pm (probably 1:30pm. I hope (and pray) they give me the passport same day. It's costing me over $1000 to make this trip MCO-IAH last min trip to get the passport - I hope they take that into consideration (to show my desperation, not that it make's it urgent for them).

The reason I'm going at 2:30pm is because my Oath is at 8am. As soon as I'm done, I'm running to the airport and getting on the 10am flight to Houston (from Orlando) - I am traveling the very next day! The whole of the east coast has NO appointments on the 6th and I figured I'd go to Houston as I gain an hour in the flight. I'll probably get there earlier than 2:30pm (probably 1:30pm. I hope (and pray) they give me the passport same day. It's costing me over $1000 to make this trip MCO-IAH last min trip to get the passport - I hope they take that into consideration (to show my desperation, not that it make's it urgent for them).

Are you sure your oath is at 8am or is that the time you were requested to report for check in for the oath? My check in time was 9am for an oath that took place at 12.30pm and then I was out of there by 1.30pm after I got my Naturalization Certificate. It definitely varies from place to place but your time line seems very very tight.

Hi Bobsmyth

Need urgent help. Kindly help. Absolutely new to the subject.

My wife has an Oath ceremony in NY on Aug 6 and she has to travel within two weeks to India. In fact vist was postponed due to this pending oath.

We are currently in VA while permanent residents of NY. Plan to change address soon after completion of all Citizenship formalities. We want to buy the Air ticket only after Passport and Visa in hand.

1. How and where to file Passport application. We would like to file this immediately on Aug 6 soon after the oath ceremony in NY. Can we file this somewhere closer to Brooklyn NY Court (place of oath ceremony) and Can we give VA address for receipt of Passport.

2. Based on your experience, what is the safest and best mode to be sure that we get the passport within one week.

3. How and where to get Indian visa. Can we visit Indian embassy in DC for visa and get same day service there after we receive the US Passport. What other formalities.

4. Can you also guide and help what to get - whether 6-months or 10-year visa and what are the benefits and formalities of OCI and where to apply for this.

Thanks for your help and look forward hearing from you soon

NRI 107
nri107@gmail.com

Factor in the time for renunciation of Indian citizenship (since you mentioned that you are from India). This is a new rule and is enforced (without renunciation, you will not get a Visa (you should apply for a Visa called 'Entry Visa' and not a 'Tourist Visa' since you held Indian nationality in the past). Visa processing is outsourced to a company called travisa (https://indiavisa.travisaoutsourcing.com/homepage) and they are very good in their service.

As several members have chimed in, you can get the US Passport on the same day (or max next day) if you walk in to one of the Passport agencies and show evidence that you are travelling within the next 2 weeks.

All the best....

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so after a long 1 year and 11 months - I finally got my US Citizenship. My God, what an ordeal! It was worth it - but don't know why, still feel uneasy for some reason, like it can be taken away - just like a Green Card. Maybe me having my Green Card for 25 years just has me programmed that way now!

Oh yeah - so after the oath, caught a flight to a city in CET timezone so I can gain an hour. Got there for 1pm and was told that I won't be able to pick up passport same day. Anyway, I paid about $209 total, got them to fedex it to me and just received the passport this morning. They said if I stay in town then they can give it to me first thing Monday morning (I went to their office on a Friday). I decided not to.