Safe to travel outside US with GC without job?

herenthere

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone - I was wondering. What if you have spent a reasonable amount of time with your sponsoring employer (let's say, 6 months, since that seems to be a common number in these threads) and then you leave your job, but you are still looking for another job. Is it safe to travel outside the country if you're unemployed. I remember being asked once at the airport where I worked, and I wonder what would have happened had I said that I was unemployed - I wasn't at that time but given the economy today, may be soon :(

I was also asked about where I work. I figure they're asking it to help them verify if you are really the person you claim to be. If asked again about your work, say that you used to work for [sponsor name] so it will match whatever employer information they have on their screen.

I was also asked about where I work. I figure they're asking it to help them verify if you are really the person you claim to be. If asked again about your work, say that you used to work for [sponsor name] so it will match whatever employer information they have on their screen.

At port of entry same question regarding employment was asked to H4 visa holder, person entering on AP and GC holder who got GC through marriage. So it is more like a routine question and they can ask to anyone.

At port of entry same question regarding employment was asked to H4 visa holder, person entering on AP and GC holder who got GC through marriage. So it is more like a routine question and they can ask to anyone.

I think his question is how to answer this routine question. Just say I am not working and what is the impact of that on his/her GC.

When I entered last time, two years ago, they did not ask a single question. Just scanned my card, stamped the passport and let me and my family through.

I think his question is how to answer this routine question. Just say I am not working and what is the impact of that on his/her GC.

I think my response was in regard to that post which I quoted in my previous post.

No one has ever asked me where I work. Not even during my many years as an H1-B...

Bottomline is NEVER LIE, and you will always be fine

POE Experience

I know I am being paranoid but I quit my job after getting GC (3 weeks after) to go back to school (no animosity with the employer). I will be traveling to Canada for thanksgiving and I wanted to be prepared in case they ask questions.

I wanted to get feedback from people who have already received the CPO and/or the physical green card and have traveled recently. What was your experience? Did you get asked a lot of questions e.g. if you are still with current employer etc. Should I carry any documentation with me?

Any advice will be appreciated.