S. 1932 Status

kobra33611 said:
Calisto12,

One more thing, now that you have pointed out the actual text....If this law goes into effect and Lets assume that you are stopped by a cop for running a red light. How do you prove your legal presence in the country? You carry your passport with you all the time and show him your visa stamping? Your latest pay-stub ? How much training would it take for an average cop to understand the complex H1 status issues? There are racist cops out there you know? What if they "decide" you are out of status..... Welcome to the new world, can of worms meets hornets nest :p

My point is, Lets do our best to have mechanisms in place to protect our rights. It would require contributions.

Isn't it the reason now Drivier License have "Temporary Visitor Statas Exp MM-DD-YYYY".

kobra33611 said:
Calisto12,

One more thing, now that you have pointed out the actual text....If this law goes into effect and Lets assume that you are stopped by a cop for running a red light. How do you prove your legal presence in the country? You carry your passport with you all the time and show him your visa stamping?

Kobra33611, belive you or not, you already have to carry either your passport/actual CG or their certifed copies (or notary public stamped). If you do not have them with you, any cop theoretically could take you to custody to figure out your status.

As for the actual text. Sometimes it is better to read the documents before starting to make a storm in a glass of water. I beleive that in current version (H.R.4437.EH) it will never pass the congress. Most of the amendments will simply be kicked off.

Guys:

I want to wish you all the best for the New Year. Year 2005 in retrospect has been a dismal year for most of us w.r.t immigration and our GC pursuits.

Let us see what 2006 brings forth. If not immigration reliefs, let's pray that it at least gives us the courage and wisdom to figure out where our lives are going trapped as we are in this (GC) pursuit. Perhaps we will take some drastic / pragmatic decisions and move on with our lives in a more constructive fashion.....

Nozdam,

I can accopany you provided I do not have any calender conflict. I am at Baltimore, MD, (I 95 exit 49) on way of your travel to Arlington VA. You can pick me. Go ahead and try !!

Since you are from PA, arrange meeting with Senator A. Spector. We five/ ten people can meet him. We invite volulnteers for meeting with Seanator Spector and Numberusa. Please come forward.

I mailed letter to Ms. Lynn Shotwell of American Council on International Personnel (Competeamerica). Here is her response:

"Thank you for writing. This has been a bitter disappointment for all of us who have worked so hard on this issue. Unfortunately, immigration is a very divisive political issue and the House did not have the votes to pass
a reconciliation bill that incorporated the Senate provisions. While we
have a great story to tell about the contributions of highly-educated immigrants to the United States, our opposition is vocal. See, e.g., http://www.numbersusa.org/index. We will revisit this issue again in the new year."

Lynn Shotwell
Executive Director
American Council on International Personnel

We should also open a dialogs with our friend organization.

Time and again I would appeal to every one following:

1. Be united and form our new association
2. Avoid negative remarks for any organization, bussiness community, employers etc.
3. We have strong stand to coomunicate to lawmakers and American society. Avoid overself attaching with illegal immigrant community otherwise we will flow away!!. No one in world can justify illegal immigrant.

nozdam said:
Khodalmd and Meg_z, as much as i wud LOVE to go, Arlington VA is a FAIR distance away from me almots a 4 hour drive each way. Common guys surely a lot more ppl on this forum stay closer than me?

Starting new Organization

Guys,

How many people are aggree with forming new Organization/Associatio.
I would suggest name : "American Employment based Immigrant Association"
Post your views in following formate as soon as possible:

Name (either scrin or real):
View : Aggreed/ Not aggreed
Volunteering area: Please indicate what ares you can provide your volunteer services.

tomCT said:
Starting an organization would not be a bad idea. Lets do it step by step. If everybody agree for an organization(non-profit) for our cause, lets finalize a name, have 2 or 3 people join to make a small website where we could post the news, etc.
Starting a non-profit organization/association is just matter of 24 hours. We will need to name few directors, president, vice-president, etc. lets name those and have the core group as the executive officers and the rest as members.

We need to categories meembers under each state and have 2 directors for each of the sattes. They will be responsible to contact their members from that state and meet the senator/congressman with other members.

Another set of memebers under a director who would collect statistics and data. Another set of members who will organize meetings with major pro-immigrant senaotors, drafting letter, etc.

If we think we are not yet at the stage of registering an organization, we could still name an organization and start the work I mentioned above. At some stage we can register if required.

Let me know what help I can do.

Thanks,

Tom.

Name (either scrin or real): msukid
View : Aggreed
Volunteering area: Sneding e-mails,faxes,calling senators.

Starting a no-profit is an excellent idea...Let's start the process...

However, on the short term we need to focus on what we should do in next few weeks/months, for which we need to short list what our options and immediate actions..

I think the fact is we are clueless on what the effective action is. We follow whatever the sites like oh-law firm says and enthusiastically do faxing mailing etc.. That's not necessarily wrong but may or may not be very effective. What we need is to focus this energy on things that yield tangible benefit. I am quite convinced from our last few weeks that we can't do it on our own. Mainly because we are still in the learning curve of how the politics works here. And most importantly, we wield neither the financial power nor the political clout to influence the decision makers (congress and senate).

I seriously believe that we need a good/reliable/strong/influential/experienced partner/s who has/have the interests that are exactly same as ours in at least top 3 of his/his/its/their priorities..

Once we identify such partner/s we need to show them our strength and value that we add to achieve their goals. Which makes them to partner with us..

So, that was all theory... As all of you have been suggesting in the messages...

I think we should work on the following fronts:

1. Identify a core group (6-8) for listing our objectives and identifying partners
2. Identify a core group (8-15) to work on building a no-profit as well as a website to make it our mouth piece
3. Identify a core group (6-10) to look at what type of money/funding we need, how much can we get, how to get it, and most importantly what we do with it.

I am ready to co-ordinate for the first one. Anyone interested can mail me on spam.mail.id@gmail.com

Let me know what you guys think...

your point that PRs and visa holders need a good forum to protect their rights is well taken;
I am not sure if one does not already exist at least for PRs.
however, this hr 4437 has a long way to go before it becomes a law.
kobra33611 said:
Calisto12,

One more thing, now that you have pointed out the actual text....If this law goes into effect and Lets assume that you are stopped by a cop for running a red light. How do you prove your legal presence in the country? You carry your passport with you all the time and show him your visa stamping? Your latest pay-stub ? How much training would it take for an average cop to understand the complex H1 status issues? There are racist cops out there you know? What if they "decide" you are out of status..... Welcome to the new world, can of worms meets hornets nest :p

My point is, Lets do our best to have mechanisms in place to protect our rights. It would require contributions.

Not a bad idea.
We are open to consider for joining ISNAmerica.org

Please every one come out with openion.

The only purpose is to have united efforts for common goal from one platform and in one voice.

techy2468 said:
why do we need to form a new organization??.......why not join with ISNAmerica.org ??

NEEDED SKILLS OR CHEAP LABOR?
Report: H-1B Workers Paid Less than U.S. Workers, Despite Wage Rules

WASHINGTON (December 2005) -- The budget bill was approved by the Senate Wednesday minus a provision that would have added 30,000 visas to the H-1B foreign-worker program. But efforts to increase this visa program are certain to resume next year.

To help inform this debate, the Center for Immigration Studies has published a new analysis of thousands of Labor Department applications which finds that employers are paying H-1B workers less than comparable American workers.

The ''prevailing wage'' requirement for this visa program is designed to prevent the hiring of foreign workers from depressing U.S. wages and to protect foreign workers from exploitation. Instead, the data show that the H-1B program is primarily used to import workers at the very bottom of the wage scale. The wide gap between wages for U.S. workers and H-1B workers helps explain why industry demand for H-1B workers is so high and why the annual visa quotas are being exhausted.

The new study is entitled ''The Bottom of the Pay Scale: Wages for H-1B Computer Programmers,'' by software industry expert John Miano. It compares wages in approved Labor Condition Applications (LCAs) for H-1B workers in computer programming occupations to wage levels of U.S. workers in the same occupation and location. It is on line at http://www.cis.org/articles/2005/back1305.html

Among the findings

* In spite of the requirement that H-1B workers be paid the prevailing wage, H-1B workers earn significantly less than their American counterparts. On average, applications for H-1B workers in computer occupations were for wages $13,000 less than Americans in the same occupation and state.

* Wages for H-1B workers in computer programming occupations are overwhelmingly concentrated at the bottom of the U.S. pay scale. Wages on LCAs for 85 percent of H-1B workers were for less than the median U.S. wage in the same occupations and state.

* Applications for 47 percent of H-1B computer programming workers were for wages below even the prevailing wage claimed by their employers.

* Very few H-1B workers earned high wages by U.S. standards. Applications for only 4 percent of H-1B workers were among the top 25 percent of wages for U.S. workers in the same state and occupation.

* Many employers use their own salary surveys and wage surveys for entry-level workers, rather than more relevant and objective data sources, to make prevailing-wage claims when hiring H-1B workers.

* Employers of large numbers of H-1B workers tend to pay those workers less than those who hire a few. Employers making applications for more than 100 H-1B workers had wages averaging $9,000 less than employers of one to 10 H-1B workers.

* The problem of low wages for H-1B workers could be addressed with a few relatively simple changes to the law.

The goals and objectives are same, I think its good idea to join them.

khodalmd said:
Not a bad idea.
We are open to consider for joining ISNAmerica.org

Please every one come out with openion.

The only purpose is to have united efforts for common goal from one platform and in one voice.

What about Chinese and other country people??

Hey Guys:

Why cannot Chinese and People from other country effected by retrogression join their hands to achieve common goal.

If they join it looks like all countries are being effected and not India or Indians are effected.

If anyone has seen JibJab of Bush 2005 Review they are specifically targetting our Country(India) which mentions that Indians are stealing away these guys jobs.

People from other countries please join since these efforts are for everyone.

Regards

Rayudu