S. 1932 Status

Yeah Indio thanks for that. I need a couple of days to absorb this nonsense. Till then i am not sure what help i can give. So much for the hope that this year wud end on a positive note.

Noretro said:
Shall we send this article to major media such as usatoday? If so, we might need the author's approval. Please list the article source

Life of Immigrant in 21st Century America

Ever wondered how life of an immigrant looks like in 21st century America? Well it is like a 19th century life when slavery was rampant and rights to free society was restricted for certain individuals with certain skin color. In 21st century this group is called Technology Slaves. These are folks from all around the world who were lured into American Dream by offering a Visa called H1B. Most of these folks are educated in the finest schools in America and possess a master’s or a doctorate degree. Unaware of what they have signed for they take a ride to their dream land and plan for a happy life in the land of immigrants. Their journey begins in an Airplane unlike their 19th century counterparts whose began in a storage compartment in a ship; unfortunately this is all that has changed then and now. Once in their promised land carrying a dual intent (strangely contrasting dual nature: means it is a non immigrant visa with provisions to become immigrant: More on it later) known the dreaded H1B. I call it “dreaded” because it is hated as much as by the immigrant having the visa as citizens of the country he is living in. Their life began with learning the accent, understanding the local lingo and culture. They start to grow and adjust in the land of opportunities, and some of these folks who like it decide to adopt America as the country to live. This might turn out to be the worst mistake they made in their journey. This is when the settlement phase and the most difficult phase of their journey starts. They quickly learn that they need a card called “Green Card” to live freely in the land of free claimed to have abolished slavery in Lincoln era. I wonder if H1B is modern slavery program initiated for the corporations in need of technology slaves.

Coming to terms with the reality these individuals realized that they are on a guest worker visa. The number of such visas a 3 times as much as number of Green Cards available. This is done to ensure that corporations can have steady supply of skilled labor at a reasonable rate. This not only impacts H1B holders but it also impacts locals whose paycheck is kept in check with this overseas supply of cheap labor. Now the vast majority of these temporary workers have to go through a lengthy and humiliating process to obtain green cards knowing fully well only 1/3rd will eventually get it. This process gives a complete control of the life of the H1B holder to the employer for a period of no less than 5 years. In this journey where only H1B holder has to adhere to the law as for everyone else involved like lawyers, government agency and corporations it is just a system to rake more money from the technology slaves as and when you can. To make things worse if a political agenda regarding illegal immigrant’s crop up there will be mass amnesty where law breakers will stand in the front of queue. The technology slave silently swallows all this with no complains as a price that he has to pay for a better life for himself and his family is his chosen land. He silently suffers through the broken immigration system that is designed to serve the needs of everyone except for the ones it is meant to serve.

Make no mistake these individuals seeks to settle in the country by fully legal means, paying taxes, contributing to medicare and social security taxes which they might never get to benefit from. I wonder what do government gain by doing all this? or is it simply a puppet of corporations as expected in a capitalistic economy ? There are close to 500,00o such highly educated folks who are probably seeking to live permanently in America after staying here for past 4-5 years and contributing to the society but things are made so difficult for them, on the other hand there are 8 million illegal immigrants who are given amnesty for breaking the laws and enjoy benefits more than those who play by rules and trying to settle in the country by legal means. There 50,000 green cards given to people from all across the world to promote diversity who have contributed absolutely nothing to the society so far but no consideration for people who have contributed to the society shoulder to shoulder with the citizens.
Think tanks have pointed out that engineering enrollment in US is in decline and 60% of the Master’s and Doctorate degrees awarded in American Universities goes to the foreign nationals. In order to keep America on par with other developed country aren’t we going to need these folks? This is what Intel’s Chairman Criag Barrett has said on the the subject “Barrett has some suggestions for fending off a brain drain. First, staple a green card to any master's or PhD degree [awarded to a foreign student] in the United States. You get the degree, here's a green card” .

What puzzles me is why America is so hard on there less then 1 million law abiding folks looking to settle down in the country the way immigrants have always been? What have they done wrong? What is it that they have done which makes them so despised and cornered by the government agencies in the very country that has welcomed immigrants for centuries? Shouldn't we learn from Canada, UK and Australia about how to run an efficient immigration program which will benefit the country as well as the immigrants ? These countries have immigration system with selection criteria based on the merit of the individual seeking to immigrate and the need of the nation as opposed to our immigration program which is nothing more than a puppet for corporate America and is twisted time and again to support political agenda and serve special interests.

Noretro - very well written article. where did u get it from ?
Yes having such articles in media will definitely draw attention & keep our issues in forefront.

It was posted here afternoon. I also wondered who is the author. Guys, do you know the source?

njrir said:
Noretro - very well written article. where did u get it from ?
Yes having such articles in media will definitely draw attention & keep our issues in forefront.

ACS-78-Quick Question to all

Quick question,

I currently work as a consultant for a large Company and my 6 years on H1 is expiring on May 2006. Im applying and should be getting a 3 year extension to my H1B in January -February (as I have an approved I-140
But have not been able to file for my 485.)
After getting my 3 year H1 B extension- If I switch employers and convert to a full time employee- I know I would need to re-file my Green card petition from scratch but could I maintain my older priority date with approved I-140?

Thanks guys - any feedback is appreciated

Very impressive article!

Noretro said:
Shall we send this article to major media such as usatoday? If so, we might need the author's approval. Please list the article source

Life of Immigrant in 21st Century America

Ever wondered how life of an immigrant looks like in 21st century America? Well it is like a 19th century life when slavery was rampant and rights to free society was restricted for certain individuals with certain skin color. In 21st century this group is called Technology Slaves. These are folks from all around the world who were lured into American Dream by offering a Visa called H1B. Most of these folks are educated in the finest schools in America and possess a master’s or a doctorate degree. Unaware of what they have signed for they take a ride to their dream land and plan for a happy life in the land of immigrants. Their journey begins in an Airplane unlike their 19th century counterparts whose began in a storage compartment in a ship; unfortunately this is all that has changed then and now. Once in their promised land carrying a dual intent (strangely contrasting dual nature: means it is a non immigrant visa with provisions to become immigrant: More on it later) known the dreaded H1B. I call it “dreaded” because it is hated as much as by the immigrant having the visa as citizens of the country he is living in. Their life began with learning the accent, understanding the local lingo and culture. They start to grow and adjust in the land of opportunities, and some of these folks who like it decide to adopt America as the country to live. This might turn out to be the worst mistake they made in their journey. This is when the settlement phase and the most difficult phase of their journey starts. They quickly learn that they need a card called “Green Card” to live freely in the land of free claimed to have abolished slavery in Lincoln era. I wonder if H1B is modern slavery program initiated for the corporations in need of technology slaves.

Coming to terms with the reality these individuals realized that they are on a guest worker visa. The number of such visas a 3 times as much as number of Green Cards available. This is done to ensure that corporations can have steady supply of skilled labor at a reasonable rate. This not only impacts H1B holders but it also impacts locals whose paycheck is kept in check with this overseas supply of cheap labor. Now the vast majority of these temporary workers have to go through a lengthy and humiliating process to obtain green cards knowing fully well only 1/3rd will eventually get it. This process gives a complete control of the life of the H1B holder to the employer for a period of no less than 5 years. In this journey where only H1B holder has to adhere to the law as for everyone else involved like lawyers, government agency and corporations it is just a system to rake more money from the technology slaves as and when you can. To make things worse if a political agenda regarding illegal immigrant’s crop up there will be mass amnesty where law breakers will stand in the front of queue. The technology slave silently swallows all this with no complains as a price that he has to pay for a better life for himself and his family is his chosen land. He silently suffers through the broken immigration system that is designed to serve the needs of everyone except for the ones it is meant to serve.

Make no mistake these individuals seeks to settle in the country by fully legal means, paying taxes, contributing to medicare and social security taxes which they might never get to benefit from. I wonder what do government gain by doing all this? or is it simply a puppet of corporations as expected in a capitalistic economy ? There are close to 500,00o such highly educated folks who are probably seeking to live permanently in America after staying here for past 4-5 years and contributing to the society but things are made so difficult for them, on the other hand there are 8 million illegal immigrants who are given amnesty for breaking the laws and enjoy benefits more than those who play by rules and trying to settle in the country by legal means. There 50,000 green cards given to people from all across the world to promote diversity who have contributed absolutely nothing to the society so far but no consideration for people who have contributed to the society shoulder to shoulder with the citizens.
Think tanks have pointed out that engineering enrollment in US is in decline and 60% of the Master’s and Doctorate degrees awarded in American Universities goes to the foreign nationals. In order to keep America on par with other developed country aren’t we going to need these folks? This is what Intel’s Chairman Criag Barrett has said on the the subject “Barrett has some suggestions for fending off a brain drain. First, staple a green card to any master's or PhD degree [awarded to a foreign student] in the United States. You get the degree, here's a green card” .

What puzzles me is why America is so hard on there less then 1 million law abiding folks looking to settle down in the country the way immigrants have always been? What have they done wrong? What is it that they have done which makes them so despised and cornered by the government agencies in the very country that has welcomed immigrants for centuries? Shouldn't we learn from Canada, UK and Australia about how to run an efficient immigration program which will benefit the country as well as the immigrants ? These countries have immigration system with selection criteria based on the merit of the individual seeking to immigrate and the need of the nation as opposed to our immigration program which is nothing more than a puppet for corporate America and is twisted time and again to support political agenda and serve special interests.

I think we definitely should propagate articles like this to proper media.

black_logs said:
Guys Can we do a conferece call, does somebosy have access to a conference call system ?

The easiest and cheapest way to do it would be through Skype. What I am really thinking is that should we setup another organisation for fighting retrogression when we already have organizations like ISNAmerica? Why did ISNAmerica loose steam so soon?

I'm even thinking of a cartoon...

Of a poor desi guy, chained & looking totally miserable with an evil looking employer gleefully holding the other end of the chain & holding a green card just beyond the reach of the employee.

Different bills associated with illegal immigration has been brought to senate and house over the pass couple of years but never has been settled.I agree with the opininon that we need a seperate bill addressing our issues.

catalyst2003 said:
Quick question,

I currently work as a consultant for a large Company and my 6 years on H1 is expiring on May 2006. Im applying and should be getting a 3 year extension to my H1B in January -February (as I have an approved I-140
But have not been able to file for my 485.)
After getting my 3 year H1 B extension- If I switch employers and convert to a full time employee- I know I would need to re-file my Green card petition from scratch but could I maintain my older priority date with approved I-140?

Thanks guys - any feedback is appreciated

Yes. You can maintain the old PD. See immigration-law. com Q/A section. Only thing is, I do not know if you can file for a new greencard if you are in 7th year. Please confirm

local Chapters

Guys
I have a suggestions , if we can make local chapters state wise e.g MD chapater, DC chapter, VA Chapter etc, and be able to meet every second weekend or so to talk things and frustration out and get more focus on things.

Thanks

the Next step in Retrogression fight...

Hello Guys,

Its unfortunate for us legal immigrants about whom the politicians care less even though we contribute more than the illegal immigrants.

Now, we have to act more aggressively and and on larger scale ahead of the Immigration Reform Bill which will be debated in the Senate in Feb 2006. We already have a platform and some of you guys have worked hard for everyone of us...

However, if you notice not many of the immigrants came forward to help or were unaware of this forum or effort. We need to reach the masses (immigrants, media, politician, etc.) and quickly.

I sent out mails to my friends and other mailing lists but didn't receive any response. So why many of the immigrants come forward? Here's what I think:

1) It affects mostly immigrants from India, China and Phillipines on a larger scale than others.
2) A majority of the people aren't aware of the issues surrounding Retrogression and how it will affect them and their families.
3) A majority of the people want to wait and watch and enjoy the efforts put in by a few.
4) Many are employees in big and stable companies where they don't care how long it takes to get a GC as they can continue working there with the same benefits. In fact, I've talked to few people and what I hear is "we've waited so long, so we'll wait for some more time; let our number come and we'll get our GC".
5) Not many ever read the articles in this forum or ISNAmerica.org forums to be aware of the big issues lying ahead.

What we need to do is to spread the real problems if the new Immigration Reform Bill gets approved in Feb 2006, especially the decrease in the EB numbers for EB1 and EB2.

Here's my suggestion --

• Send letters/articles to the media: leading newspapers within US and even India (since many of us do read Indian newspapers online). Maybe they can publish our article for less amount of money or free of cost (though I doubt it)
  • Explain the senators/congressmen of the disparities in the pay on H1-B and how lot of these consulting companies exploit our situation and make us realize that they're doing us a "favor" and how we're bond to them like slaves
  • Form groups in each state and personally meet up with the local Congressmen and Senators
  • Take help of articles written on legal immigration and the contribution made by us to the economy and other aspects of life in USA and the plight faced by us due to an ineffective immigration system
  • Merge efforts with ISNAmerica and other immigration groups
  • Involve people from China and other affected countries
  • Take help of lobbysists who are in favor of reforms for legal immigration and Green Card
  • Not to include H1-B visas since this implies bringing more immigrants in the country and this is being opposed by many politicians
  • Take help of immigration lawyers like Rajiv Khanna, AILA, etc.

We need to educate the politicians (even though some of them know about the issues) the difference we have made and can make in this country than the illegal immigrants! They are more concerned about the illegal than us law-abiding and tax paying people who won't even get the benefits of SS and Medicare tax but still keep on paying them...

There is a forum on this website about merging the efforts with ISNAmerica.

AND WE NEED JUST ONE FORUM INSTEAD OF DIVERGING INTO DIFFERENT THREADS/FORUMS FOR OUR FIGHT.
There are too many of these and at times its confusing to determine which one to follow --

http://boards.immigrationportal.com...ad.php?t=198900
http://www.nripost.com/forums/showt...p=1359#post1359

We need a miracle from God!

-- thecipher5

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Noretro,

Thanks for sharing this article. This article describes our situation well. If I amy add my two cents to this, there are two books which go a great length to describing the state of changing economy and how it is overlooking the changes around the world:

a.) The World is Flat - by Thomas Friedman
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/03...002-5412183-8254404?n=507846&s=books&v=glance

b.) The flight of the Creative Class - Richard Florida
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/00...002-5412183-8254404?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

The second book in particular very good. I did read large portion of the first book and going to buy the second book after I leave from work today. Here is how Richard's book starts :

For the first time ever, the United States is truely in danger of losing it's most crucial economic advantage - its status as the world's greatest talent magnet - argues best-selling author and economist Richard Florida. Where America was once the first destination for foreign students and the last stop for scientists, engineers, musicians, and entrepreneurs wishing to engage in the robust and creative economy on the planet, it has now become only one place among many where cutting-edge innovations occurs.

I already see that there is effort building up or atleast the discussion have started, to educate the decision makers. This is very good. However, if all that we have to tell to the decision makers is how we are suffering then I am not sure how far it will go, even though there is no denying that fact that we all suffer and are at loss with the current system. Reading the post I can gather that all the members on this forum are very knowledgable and motivated and have lot of respect for participants on this forum. I would suggest that anybody who wants to be engaged in convincing/educating decision makers, these books will help us a long way in getting an idea about how and what to present when we go to talk to Congressman and/or Senators. I think We need to emphasis in our presentation that how the current structure of complicated and stubborn law or rules and regulations harm the state of dynamically changing national economy. Will write more later ....

Just my thoughts ....

Guys,
Keep the momentum.... I am sure, if we do things in the right direction, we will win. I believe God has a better plan..much better than this s1932 for us. We just need to keep our hope. The sections 8001 just happend to be in this bill...we did not do any effort to add it.

My strong suggestion would be to contact the same people who pushed the AC21 and try for a new stand alone bill. Also for amendments in any existing bills..if at all possible. Lets try all possible ways.

I think, the local group meetings every 2 weeks in different cities would help. We can have atleast tel-conf/chat for people in each state every week. For example: all people in CT, NY, NJ to come on a tel-conf on particular time. Then have the group moderators convey the outcome to other local groups. We need to have a good strategy and planning. There is just no point in tel-conf without we define few steps.

Believe me, we are a strong group. I am sure each one of us have contacts with at least 10-100 other non-immmigrants whom you could bring for a tel-conf. I suggest to have a yahoo group also.

How ever, we should have a central place to communicate. This forum is good. But this is already 230 pages.

Thanks for all the efforts. Keep it up. God is with us.

My suggestions

My suggestions

we have been deligent working on this, and we are pretty united, we made many calls and send lots of FAXes, my guess is about milions of Faxes.

Now we need to think about our strategy!!!
how to make things working?
All of us have the same target here and we need more oragization, more strategy.

my suggestions:
1) talk to AILA, OH lawyers, competeUSA, lobysts and ask for their opinions
2) we should have a commette. They lead us to act. we need to have one thread for commette action drive
( let's say commette put the milestone like:
we need to call AILA,OH lawyers, people volunteer sent their name in,
)
and another thread for all people's opinions.
3) we need a better website.
4) reveal this to media and all. We live in 21st century ad we have internet,media, everything, we need a good plan, a better organization, get help from more powerful resources.
My feeling is the lawmakers may not be affected by us, because we have no election right yet, we are not of so much amount to make a strenght for them,USA citizens with election right's objection etc.

Please sign up - it will help in the creation of local groups.

We need to organize this. Please sign up at http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=198900

This will take 2 minutes of your time. But when you sign up with your name, email address, and location it helps in a number of things (including local chapters creation, ensuring that there is momentum, etc)

This thread is very important but also very big. There is no way we can go through all 200 pages to figure out who is following this issue.

PLEASE signup at http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=198900.

We ALL have to do this. Lurkers - please sign-up. I know that TREMENDOUS effort went into this round. But it was a FEW People putting in TREMENDOUS effort. A FEW people are fighting for EVERYBODY and that's not really fair. (right? :))

If we get organized & figure out a way that we can utilize all our skills & contacts, and efforts, we can be VERY efficient.

This is the first step.

We need to understand WHAT resources we have? How many people and from which states? And what are they willing to do? How can we use their time and effort effectively so that they are not over-burdened but can still make a contribution.

I'd rather spend the next 2-3 days understanding our member base. Once we reach 500 sign-ups I'll create a spreadsheet of members by area or state and post it here.

Hi Folks , Let Us Focus Our Energy In To Our Oncoming Project. Rather Wasting On The Postmortom Of The Dead Bill. Now Let Them Dril Alaska Or Their Back Yard We Dont Care.

ACS_78 said:
Yes. You can maintain the old PD. See immigration-law. com Q/A section. Only thing is, I do not know if you can file for a new greencard if you are in 7th year. Please confirm
Hi ACS_78,
Can i send u a private message?
--MC

even though we don't have voting rights, still we are improtant

Earlier in this thread, there was an excellent article about modern slavery and miseries of H1Bs in this country. we are no less than unsung heros, but unfortunately missing an united voice that can echo and reach the minds of law makers.
Inspite of the constraints& slavery, to show how important we are to this economy, following are the numbers i came up with to support .
600,000 H1Bs with average salary of $60,000/ PA, 25% towards SS, Fed Tax, State Tax and medicare comes to % 15,000.This comes to $9 Billion every year. Remember this amount is we are giving but in return we get very little(practically nothing, as we are not entitled for any SS benefits in case of job loss, for ex). Also i think it's fair to include other facets of our contrbution to economy in terms of spending such as buying a car, other goods, paying interests for home loans etc; I'd guess that atleast another 20% goes in to this category, which brings up another $7.2 Billion (20% of $60000 * 600,000)

One approach is to take some demographic details of how all of us are spread across this country & make a nice PPT presentation. This is a bit of work but let us lay the foundation with more facts. I'm sure whenever i approach any senator or congressman (i did this atleast 6 times until now in Midwest), facts presented in terms of dollar amount is always appealing& strikes at bulls eye.
On the other hand, there must be some sort of comparison how we are different from illegal immigrants in the same context,(meaning how much an illegal immigrant would cost the local govt without paying taxes, no medicare, no inputs to SS etc;). This is very much needed to support our genuine cause when ever anti-immigrant forces step up their lobbying.

jamiw75 said:
My suggestions

we have been deligent working on this, and we are pretty united, we made many calls and send lots of FAXes, my guess is about milions of Faxes.

Now we need to think about our strategy!!!
how to make things working?
All of us have the same target here and we need more oragization, more strategy.

my suggestions:
1) talk to AILA, OH lawyers, competeUSA, lobysts and ask for their opinions
2) we should have a commette. They lead us to act. we need to have one thread for commette action drive
( let's say commette put the milestone like:
we need to call AILA,OH lawyers, people volunteer sent their name in,
)
and another thread for all people's opinions.
3) we need a better website.
4) reveal this to media and all. We live in 21st century ad we have internet,media, everything, we need a good plan, a better organization, get help from more powerful resources.
My feeling is the lawmakers may not be affected by us, because we have no election right yet, we are not of so much amount to make a strenght for them,USA citizens with election right's objection etc.

Guys to be perfectly honest lets face the ground realities.

1) We can be replaced with just abt anyone.
2) We are smart, but there are ppl back in our home countries FAR smarter.
3) We need this country more than it needs us.
4) We are like the tenants in an apartment complex, and the US DOS is like the landlord, our demands are similar to saying, "Since we have paid rent (tax) regularly and on time, and created no problems ever (clean record), so we deserve to own the house now".

Think abt it, we really can make no claims to be honest. We came here to escape our problems in our home countries and the bad economy there, only to face the music here. Now that we are used to the life here, we are being asked to go back or suffer in silence. That is the bare truth like it or not.

I am still hoping and praying that the Senate still includes the EB reforms in It's version of the bill. I know that is a slim hope, but then hope is all we have. To be PERFECTLY honest i have NO faith in the system here and no faith that the next so called "Comprehensive Immigration Reform" will actually do anything in our favour, but hey i will give it my best shot, like i gave S1932/Hr4241 my best shot. Over and above that only God can help. However i am gonna take a break for a few days from this ever draining nonsense. Too disappointed currently to jump onto another band wagon, sorry i am just not that positive a person. :)