S. 1932 Status

Did anyone get hold of Lamar Smith or Sensenbrenner?

Could only get Lamar Smith's VM and no one is answering Sensenbrenner's phone.

Hey hey -

cool it. Seems like u r stressed out, but it is quite understandable.

Your ideas are more than welcome and appreciated as well!

The issue is that our ideas are just going to be left with us! We have to work off what we have i.e. push for a legislation that is in our favor, and we should stay focused on that, and not start new debates!

S.

ps: This is my second post on the subject. & not my last post on the subject! :D :) hee hee

stucklabor said:
This is going to be my last post on this subject. This is an open forum in which people can bring up ideas, correct? I brought it up because there is no way I am going to let a Senator/Congressman decide which of the several provisions that they might accept.

Spgtopper, you are not in a position to dictate to a Congressman that you want all of Sec 8001.

No one is going to offer a compromise. If Sensenbrenner says that he wants to pull 8001 totally, then it is up to the rest to try to figure out if they can salvage something. Time is running out as we speak. If the Senators have no idea what a good compromise may be, they will ask for 30K more H1Bs. As it is, we have people replying to our letters re: EB retrogression saying they support more H1Bs. Confusion is rampant.

So if someone can give me a rational reason why we shouldn't try to salvage something out of package, please do so.

Posts such as 'I want all or nothing or 8001' are not rational.

As I said earlier, this will be my last post on the subject.

No hard feelings, Spgtopper

No hard feelings from my side, Spgtopper.

But I was annoyed because this is the 4th time that I said what I said, on this forum, since last night. Basically every time someone reads my initial post, they ask the 'Why compromise' and I have answered the same Q 5/6 times already. Then people figure out where I am coming from and lay off, but then someone new jumps in and asks what has been asked before.

Peace.

spgtopper said:
Hey hey -

cool it. Seems like u r stressed out, but it is quite understandable.

Your ideas are more than welcome and appreciated as well!

The issue is that our ideas are just going to be left with us! We have to work off what we have i.e. push for a legislation that is in our favor, and we should stay focused on that, and not start new debates!

S.

ps: This is my second post on the subject. & not my last post on the subject! :D :) hee hee

How to reach these congressman

Guys how do we reach these congressman by phone

James Sensenbrenner no voice mail, the phone rings and then disconnects
John Conyers mail box is full and you cannot leave a message
Lamar Smith mail box is full and you cannot leave a message

Since today is saturday I guess none of his staff are also going to be there.

njdude26 said:
I still dont get it

The Mr. Sensenbrenner bill is
has 2 versions of Bill Number H.R.4437. It does not have any EB thing and i dont think is even related to the Budget reconciliation bill. Then why is AILA and Shusterman both very reputed guys reporting this !!!

This is about Hayword's amendment to HR 4437 which would have decreased family based immigration by 65000 and given that number to employment based immigration. This amendement was actually withdrawn before the vote and not defeated as reported.

And stop telling that you dont care abt HR 4437. It has lots of stuff in it that affect you too. Did you know that his bill would curtail judicial review of arbitrary immigration decisions, make first time DUI a deportable offense and even make you a crimnal if it takes a while for you to find a new job or you are out of status because your H1 employer terminated you. Dont ignore immigrant rights.

Last edited by a moderator:
ISN America faxing

Is there any site using which we can fax Congress with customized message?

I am not sure about the effectiveness of bombarding the Conf committee members with identical faxes. In the absence of customization, this is OK, but I would really like to customize so that someone notices it and reads it.

We should also tell them that...

Guys...
We're watching senate/Congress session over the C-Span web pages.

They can not risk their future votes.

As a reminder...

As a second, I read from Immigration.com but I dont understand what I should do right now.

Do I still have to send mail/fax to them. If yes, to from GA. Senators or Congress.

It says congress passed. Senato will discuss next year. I confused. Please advise.

ZbD

Sessenbrenner is not for immigration. he stripped EB3 provisions. See AILA homepage

# Sensenbrenner Bill Passes, H-1B/EB Provisions Stripped
The Sensenbrenner bill passed tonight in the House by a vote of 239 to 182. 17 Republicans voted "NO" on final passage, but 36 Democrats voted "YES" on final passage.
# 12/16/2005 House Passes Harsh, Enforcement-Only Bill That Would Criminalize 11 Million Immigrants
The House, on 12/16/05, completed consideration of the Border Protection, Antiterrorism, and Illegal Immigration Control Act of 2005 (H.R. 4437), passing the measure by a vote of 239-182 . This enforcement-only bill, sponsored by Committee Chairman F. James Sensenbrenner (R-WI), is a boldfaced attack on due process and especially on judicial review.
# 12/16/2005 AILA Condemns House Action on Punitive Immigration Bill (.pdf 14 KB)
AILA’s statement on passage by the House of the Border Protection, Antiterrorism, and Illegal Immigration Control Act of 2005 (H.R. 4437), the enforcement-only measure sponsored by House Judiciary Committee Chairman F. James Sensenbrenner (R-WI). AILA Doc. No. 05121610.

Superman -- 007, Talk to us man, please ... where are you. How is it going with efforts with Representative Sensenbrenner. Just want you to know that lot of people on this forum are waiting to hear from you. Most people here have left messages and made phone calls. I have personally send faxes and left messages for John Conyers and Lamar Smith and each of the their staff at all possible extentions on behalf of several individuals who authorized me to do so on their behalf. Your effort with Representative Sensenbrenner is vey important. Would urge you to please tell us something good ....

Guys, There are 23 members on the committee. 20 from Senate and 3 from House. 19 of 23 members on committee have already voted 'Yea' for 8001 and 8002 as part of S.1932 ES. So if there is any sort of democractic voting process in the committee as it is in House and Senate there is a good chance that this will pass. And any suggestion of compromise to any of the senator/HOR member or their staff just weakens our position. Just hand tight .... relax .... we all have sincerely conveyed our viewpoint. Something good is bound to come out.

Would urge members and readers of the forum that if you have already done faxing and calling and leaving messages on your behalf, please call your friends and educate them about what's going on and seek their authorization to send faxes and leaving messages and everything that we could do on their behalf. Just carry that hope that beat will happen .... today.

.... a thousand paths and an infinity of dreams. Hopeful, we are halfway to where we want to go hopeless, we are lost forever.

desolate said:
# Sensenbrenner Bill Passes, H-1B/EB Provisions Stripped
The Sensenbrenner bill passed tonight in the House by a vote of 239 to 182. 17 Republicans voted "NO" on final passage, but 36 Democrats voted "YES" on final passage.
# 12/16/2005 House Passes Harsh, Enforcement-Only Bill That Would Criminalize 11 Million Immigrants
The House, on 12/16/05, completed consideration of the Border Protection, Antiterrorism, and Illegal Immigration Control Act of 2005 (H.R. 4437), passing the measure by a vote of 239-182 . This enforcement-only bill, sponsored by Committee Chairman F. James Sensenbrenner (R-WI), is a boldfaced attack on due process and especially on judicial review.
# 12/16/2005 AILA Condemns House Action on Punitive Immigration Bill (.pdf 14 KB)
AILA’s statement on passage by the House of the Border Protection, Antiterrorism, and Illegal Immigration Control Act of 2005 (H.R. 4437), the enforcement-only measure sponsored by House Judiciary Committee Chairman F. James Sensenbrenner (R-WI). AILA Doc. No. 05121610.
we are not bothered about Illegal Immigration Control Act of 2005 (H.R. 4437). This is not going to effect us.

Alternate numbers - incase you do not get to the Washington #

These are local numbers - not as good as calling Washington but give it a shot if you are not able to get thru the Washington numbers
Conyers
http://www.house.gov/conyers/services.htm
Phone: (313)961-5670
Fax: (313)226-2085

Phone: (734) 285-5624
Fax: (734) 285-5943

Phone: (734)285-5624
Fax: (734)285-5943

Smith
http://lamarsmith.house.gov/constituentservices.asp?FormMode=Call&LinkType=Section&Section=8

512-402-9743
512-402-9867 fax

210-821-5024
210-821-5947 fax

Sensenbrenner
http://www.house.gov/sensenbrenner/contact.htm
Telephone: (262) 784-1111
Outside the Milwaukee Metro calling area, call his toll-free HOTLINE number: 1-800-242-1119.

Fax counter at isnamerica

the fax counter was at 2495 yesterday and now it is at 2535. I sent 7 faxes from isnamerica yesterday and today, and 24 in all for s.1932. Either the counter is wrong or..

I feel 2535 is a very small disappointing number.

No need to comment on this, or divert the focus.

Guys,
I am rite here trying to call/fax everybody and leaving VM's...About contacting Sensenbrenner.....i managed to get a lil breakthru...i called his residence this morning and after a long session of brainwashing(literally pleading), his wife cheryl agreed to try to call him and see if she could provide me her direct dial number!!I am not very hopeful that i would be able to talk to him personally, but my feeling is, if she does call as she promised, it would atleast remind him of the correct thing to do!! I plan to do a follow up call in some time!Trust me guys, from whatever i could make out/gather from his staff, he would not initiate the inclusion of the bill, but neither would he attempt to block it...

Guys the imigration lawyers like Shusterman etc are currently FULLY focussed on HR4437 as that MAJORLY decreases their income due to illegal immigrants being kicked out. PLS focuss on HR4241 and convincing the congressmen abt that.

Abt the Visa lottery being eliminated even I am VERY VERY happy. That lottery is complete NONSENSE. We wait in the line like fools and ppl from Diff countries SIMPLY come in coz they are in a minority here. I think that is total nonsense. Also if they have to process 50,000 less Green cards, that automatically increases OUR chnaces of getting it sooner as more employees will be focussed on fewer categories now.

Abt the other harsh provisions, they are for ILLEGAL Immigrants. If the Govt wants to deport them then LET them, that frees up so much of the resources. Regarding that whole DUI thing, all we have to be careful of is NOT to drink and drive. If that is what it takes to drive Illegals out and focuss on legals, i'll take that ANY day of the week.

Great Job!!!
superman007 said:
Guys,
I am rite here trying to call/fax everybody and leaving VM's...About contacting Sensenbrenner.....i managed to get a lil breakthru...i called his residence this morning and after a long session of brainwashing(literally pleading), his wife cheryl agreed to try to call him and see if she could provide me her direct dial number!!I am not very hopeful that i would be able to talk to him personally, but my feeling is, if she does call as she promised, it would atleast remind him of the correct thing to do!! I plan to do a follow up call in some time!Trust me guys, from whatever i could make out/gather from his staff, he would not initiate the inclusion of the bill, but neither would he attempt to block it...

we appreciate your efforts! good job Superman007

Superman007,

I personally appreciate your efforts to reach Congressman, let hope that his wife will pass on the message to him, good part you were successful in reaching his office people and pass on our message, appreciate it,