S. 1932 Status

bad news at immigration-law.com

Senate S. 1932 Immigration Packet Practically "Dead"

The Senate is scheduled to continue the preagreed motions for instructions to the Senate conferees as follows: DeWine Motion to Instruct Conferees to insist that any conference report shall not include the provisions contained in section 8701 of the House D1282amendment relating to the repeal of section 754 of the Tariff Act of 1930. GPO's PDFKohl Motion to Instruct Conferees to insist that any conference report shall not include any of the provisions in the House amendment that reduce funding for the child support program established under part D of title IV of the Social Security Act (42 U.S.C. 651 et seq.), and to insist that the conference report shall not include any restrictions on the ability of States to use Federal child support incentive payments for child support program expenditures that are eligible for Federal matching payments. Kennedy Motion to Instruct Conferees to insist that the Senate provisions increasing need based financial aid in the bill S. 1932, which were fully offset by savings in the bill S. 1932, be included in the final conference report and that the House provisions in the bill H.R. 4241 that impose new fees and costs on students in school and in repayment be rejected in the final conference report. Reed Motion to Instruct Conferees to insist on a provision that makes available $2,920,000,000 for the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Act of 1981 (42 U.S.C. 8621 et seq.), in addition to the $2,183,000,000 made available for such Act in the Departments of Labor, Health, and Human Services, and Education, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2006. A unanimous-consent agreement was reached yesterday providing for further consideration of the message from the House to accompany S. 1932 (listed above) at 3:30 p.m., today with a series of votes to occur on the pending motions to instruct Conferees.
Since the Senate would agree not to instruct the Senate conferees not to include the House amendment to the Senate version on the immigration packet, the original Sections 8001 and 8002 appear to be practically dead unless any unlikely miracle takes place.

Called Senator Specter's office

Spoke to Ari Sulty and told him our concern. Also sent an email to him earlier. I really hope this works as this would be really make/break our lives!

Call Spector And Also Do More.......

YES PLEASE DO IT ASAP

But First you will have to do Something
Lots and Lots of Applicants around you are sleeping and doing nothing
You will have to wake them up First
Only then and then, it will happen

Lot of them are being selfish, not doing anything leaving it on others to do
It will not work this day

Ask everyone to participate and join

http://www.groups.yahoo.com/groups/techworkers1

http://www.isnamerica.org

Well, probably it is bad news!!

Why don't we call our respective representives' offices and try to get an understanding of the legislative process first!

Heres what I did:

Yesterday, I spoke with the Washington DC office of my congressman. I spoke to the chief of staff, and she said that she was going to convey the deal to the congreeman yesterday itself.
I talked to the Washington office of one of my senators today. It was a 15 minute long call, and the "knowledgable" person in charge was very forthcoming about the issue, and helped me to understand the legislative process better.

The gist of the conversation is: 1) There is absolutely NO reason to believe that the certain provision (sec 8001 in our case) in the Senate bill will not get into the conference report simply because there is no motion specifically instructing the senators to keep this particular section!!! 2) Since, we are a large group, EACH of us should make added efforts to REACH THE WASHINGTON DC STAFF of our respective senators. Remember that they are the closest to the reps, and will get our information out to them asap.!!!

The guy clearly told me that the conference report meeting will be held on friday, and that we must do all we can to educate our reps regarding our needs. Please call the washington DC offices. While personal meetings might help, a phone call is the least and best thing we can all do.

I urged that the immigrant community is closely watching the "reconciliation" of S.1932 & HR4241. Use the words "support for 8001 in S1932" several times so that they understand it better. And, if this does not work several immigrants are planning to leave the country (I know that we and our friends are for a fact). This is a strong and clear message. TALK to the guys. They don't have time to collect and read our faxes.

spgtopper said:

Why don't we call our respective representives' offices and try to get an understanding of the legislative process first!

Heres what I did:

Yesterday, I spoke with the Washington DC office of my congressman. I spoke to the chief of staff, and she said that she was going to convey the deal to the congreeman yesterday itself.
I talked to the Washington office of one of my senators today. It was a 15 minute long call, and the "knowledgable" person in charge was very forthcoming about the issue, and helped me to understand the legislative process better.

The gist of the conversation is: 1) There is absolutely NO reason to believe that the certain provision (sec 8001 in our case) in the Senate bill will not get into the conference report simply because there is no motion specifically instructing the senators to keep this particular section!!! 2) Since, we are a large group, EACH of us should make added efforts to REACH THE WASHINGTON DC STAFF of our respective senators. Remember that they are the closest to the reps, and will get our information out to them asap.!!!

The guy clearly told me that the conference report meeting will be held on friday, and that we must do all we can to educate our reps regarding our needs. Please call the washington DC offices. While personal meetings might help, a phone call is the least and best thing we can all do.

I urged that the immigrant community is closely watching the "reconciliation" of S.1932 & HR4241. Use the words "support for 8001 in S1932" several times so that they understand it better. And, if this does not work several immigrants are planning to leave the country (I know that we and our friends are for a fact). This is a strong and clear message. TALK to the guys. They don't have time to collect and read our faxes.

I lost all hopes now. I don't think any of our efforts are working here. They are giving Shi****t to our faxes also. it is so frustrating. I will be just silent observer

"Do Nothing"!!!!! Gave Up!!!!!

Sorry Guys

Thanks spgtopper,

We should call our lawmaker in Washington DC office. I did call Two Senators and one Congressman from MD and convey messege.

This is last chance, today is very crucial. Please do KESARIYA. Please call lawmaker and post your feedback in this threads.
Now faxes are not enough, Call them

Good luck guys

spgtopper said:

Heres what I did:

rayyan said:
I lost all hopes now. I don't think any of our efforts are working here. They are giving Shi****t to our faxes also. it is so frustrating. I will be just silent observer

Sorry Guys

Good thing you gave up. No one needs losers!!

Common! what do you expect??? We are sending 100s of faxes, a day before the final meeting. Would you read faxes if you were in their place? And, with lots of other work to do? At least they are being nice enough to talk on phone. Just use that, or better yet twiddle your thumbs. Good luck!

srinireddydgl said:
YES PLEASE DO IT ASAP

But First you will have to do Something
Lots and Lots of Applicants around you are sleeping and doing nothing
You will have to wake them up First
Only then and then, it will happen

Lot of them are being selfish, not doing anything leaving it on others to do
It will not work this day

Ask everyone to participate and join

http://www.groups.yahoo.com/groups/techworkers1

http://www.isnamerica.org

I donot think anydbody is selfsih here. We did our part. People here have kept lot of efforts. If it didnot work it is our fate.

Nothing can be changed , I think the game is OVER

Well, I called MD also. :) Who did you talk to? I think we should also call other state reps.

khodalmd said:
Thanks spgtopper,

We should call our lawmaker in Washington DC office. I did call Two Senators and one Congressman from MD and convey messege.

This is last chance, today is very crucial. Please do KESARIYA. Please call lawmaker and post your feedback in this threads.
Now faxes are not enough, Call them

Good luck guys

Are we speculating too much?

Look at this website. This news is old but it does tell us who the concerned parties are who would like to get this legislation passed. All these companies have lobby firms working for them. I would not be so sure that they would let go this opportunity for getting the legislation go thorugh so far only to abandon it? Does not make sense... Also, do you think the way the Republicans work, they would increase visa fees without giving anything back to the big businesses in return??

http://www.hillnews.com/thehill/export/TheHill/News/Frontpage/110305/tech.html

Lobby firm working for this bill:

http://www.itic.org/

Please don't give up your hope before the final result. Do what ever you can.

rayyan said:

Sorry Guys

I called senator Miss Clinton office in support of the section of 8001. A representative took the message, and I am not sure what she understood and when I asked for the the contact person for immigration, she transfered call to legislator's office where I left a message for support of section 8001and 8001 in s1932 budget reconcilliation bill

Section 8001 recapture ...

Hi,

I just talked to secretary in Arlen Spector office. We had a brief conversation. She does not believe this section had been dropped. So please everyone calls his office and address our concerns.

Thank you guys,

Bin Xu

Just now called Spectar Office and pass on the message.

Just now called Spectar Office and pass on the message.

His contact information is as follows:

Arlen Specter (R-PA)
Phone: 202-224-4254
Fax: 12022281229
Email: http://specter.senate.gov/index.cfm...ontactInfo.Home

Guys call your state senators and congressman and pass the message.

They are picking up the phone and collecting our message.

Come on guys.

Visa is a privilege not a right

Guys
Its not fair to say this after you did all the hard work.You did great and if the news is bad we must take it gracefully.we must remember one thing, that visa whether its immigrant of non immigrant is a privelege and not a right.
Even if we send 1 million faxes, ultimately they will decide whats good for US citizens.
Its classic mass mentality to fight and blame someone after losing.lets be graceful and civilized about this, especially when talking to officials.Thretening them or fighting them with words will make matters worse.
we will become nothing more than those French rioters and law makers will deal that kind of an attitude swiftly.

We need to Mobilise our efforts and NOT lose hope!!!

Good. Call the washington DC office, they should understand the legislative process better.

Also, ask for "legislative aid" of the respective bill. Tell them that if this does not happen, the entire immigration community is going to leave the country (I got some very good responses to this statement - may be because I was being dark honest), and then take all their jobs out of this country (thru' outsourcing) and be back with a vengeance! :D Why am I grinning! Its true!

vattam said:
I called senator Miss Clinton office in support of the section of 8001. A representative took the message, and I am not sure what she understood and when I asked for the the contact person for immigration, she transfered call to legislator's office where I left a message for support of section 8001and 8001 in s1932 budget reconcilliation bill

spgtopper said:
Good thing you gave up. No one needs losers!!

Common! what do you expect??? We are sending 100s of faxes, a day before the final meeting. Would you read faxes if you were in their place? And, with lots of other work to do? At least they are being nice enough to talk on phone. Just use that, or better yet twiddle your thumbs. Good luck!

And expect what????. A Miracle?
Anyway I am calling the senators office where ever I can and faxing them also.
I thought I will stop but I could not :rolleyes:

]Just now called Spectar Office and passed on the message. She belives the section has not dropped.
Please call guys, wake up do last minute calls, call to whom ever it possible
thanks

His contact information is as follows:

Arlen Specter (R-PA)
Phone: 202-224-4254
Fax: 12022281229
Email: http://specter.senate.gov/index.cfm...ontactInfo.Home

Guys call your state senators and congressman and pass the message.

They are picking up the phone and collecting our message.

Come on guys.[/QUOTE]