S. 1932 Status

stucklabor said:
Sunjoshi, I request the following mods:

1. Recommendations slide: Add a request to the Congress to support some kind of automatic adjustment of status for qualified people who have worked in this country for 3 years. Cite Sen. Chuck Hagel's legislation.

2. Immigration restrictions could slow job growth slide is too wordy. Break it up into bullet points.

- By 2015, US economy will need 16 million additional workers due to aging population.

- The US, a country of immigrants, has been a magnet destination for entrepreneurial foreigners and has gained from them, as they have gained from the US.

- Immigration not a zero-sum game. Some immigrants take away jobs, but most create jobs for native-born Americans and increase American productivity.

- US now competing with rest of the world for talent, and post 9/11 immigration restrictions are making it difficult.

- Just as free trade lets each country specialize in what it does best, a flexible immigration policy helps support innovation in the US.

Good deal!!. And Thanks for taking time to work on this. I will change the wordy slide.
As for Chuck Hagel's legislation, do you have a bill num/id that can be referenced? We should definitely add that as a recommendation. Let me know.

Will Join you, on your meeting with senator Mr. Sensenbrenner

superman007 said:
Hey Guys,
I must admit that i am not fully versed with the finer points and intricacies of the bills 1932 and 8001.I am a victim of retrogression and still awaiting the filing of I-485 after I-140 approval in Jan-05.However , the silver lining is that i have an opportunity to meet congressman Mr. James Sensenbrenner(Rep.Wisconsin).I intend to use this opportunity to fullest advantage and hence doing a lil research and understanding the dynamics of this bill and Mr.Sensenbrenner's stand on this and other related issues!!!
If u guys have any pointers, pl let me know!!!!

Thanks,

Hello Superman007,

First let me thank you for contacting senator Mr. James Sensenbrenner. I have made several futile attempts in recent weeks to get an appointment with senator to discuss about retrogression impact.

This is wonderful to know that, you were able to get an appointment with senator. As I am from Wisconsin, I would like to join you in meeting senator Sensenbrenner and would like to work with you in preparing meeting notes. Please let me know, if this works for you.

Regards,

superman007 said:
Hey Guys,
I must admit that i am not fully versed with the finer points and intricacies of the bills 1932 and 8001.I am a victim of retrogression and still awaiting the filing of I-485 after I-140 approval in Jan-05.However , the silver lining is that i have an opprotunity to meet congressman Mr. James Sensenbrenner(Rep.Wisconsin).I intend to use this opportunity to fullest advantage and hence doing a lil research and understanding the dynamics of this bill and Mr.Sensenbrenner's stand on this and other related issues!!!
If u guys have any pointers, pl let me know!!!!

Thanks,

superman007,
When is your meeting scheduled? Please grab this opportunity with both your hands!! Not only for this entire community, you can also keep that channel open for your own specific case too (who says a carrot approach doesn't work? !! :))

1. Call the congressman's office and find out his position on this issue (you can just ask his office, or see his webpage)
2. Depending on that, you can use the presentation floating around in this thread, and modify it if needed. Please present it to the congressman, and request his support and also from other lawmakers that he may have influence over. If he already supports it, don't forget to thank him and shower some praise on him :)
3. There is PLENTY of info in this thread/forum that you can use. The ppt is just a subset, but should be something quick you can use (but need not be limited to it). Feel free to ask any help you may need. Folks on this thread have been REALLY helpful!!

We need you help!
Good Luck.

SunJoshi

sunjoshi said:
Good deal!!. And Thanks for taking time to work on this. I will change the wordy slide.
As for Chuck Hagel's legislation, do you have a bill num/id that can be referenced? We should definitely add that as a recommendation. Let me know.

SunJ, I don't have a bill number for Sen Hagel's legislation. Maybe we can add a couple bullet points to the Recommendations slide as follows:

- Sen Chuck Hagel: Lets Employment-based immigrants in certain fields who have worked in the US for 3 years apply for adjustment of status

- McCain/Kennedy/Kolbe/Gutierrez: Increases quota on EB immigrants to 290,000 to alleviate retrogression

- Specter: Marked up important points in several different bills to discuss early next year

From www.immigration-law.com

Source: http://www.immigration-law.com/
------------------------------------------------

12/06/2005: Conference Committee for Budget Deficit Reduction Act of 2005, S. 1932 as Amended

The House returns to the session today and the Senate will return to the session next Monday, December 12, 2005. We do not know which members of the House and the Senate will be asked to represent each house in the Conference Committee, but considering the fact that each house tends to pick from the committee in charge the members to represent in the conference committee, people may want to contact and be familialized themselves with the members of these committees:
House Budget Committee (that passed H.R. 4241, the House version of the legislation)
Senate Judiciary Committee (that passed S. 1932, the Senate version of th legislation)
We will post the names of the members as soon as each house asks the names to the conference committee. By now, people must have learned that the Comprehensive Immigration Reform legislation will turn into one of the hottest political battlefields in 2006 which may not be resolved for months and months to come. The "legal" immigration package in the S. 1932 is the legislation which will have to be resolved within this month as separate from the Comprehensive Immigration Reform legislation next year. People are reminded that when it comes to legal immigration, all segments of the political arena, including the White House, the Senate, the House, the media, and the public, agree to the needs for increase in legal employment-based immigrants and only anti-immigration forces are mobilizing strategies to quite down the immigration supporters with the argument that the immigration packet in S. 1932 should be handled as part of the Comprehensive Immigration Reform legislation just to delay and kill the debate on the issue in December. The business community and higher learning institutions should continue to contact the members of the Congress to educate them that S. 1932 immigration recapture legislation is a totally separate issue from the comprehensive immigration reform issues and the nation needs this legislation and cannot afford any delay in the legislation.

I just remember another ppt somebody posted a couple of weeks ago.

Good that I downloaded it. Otherwise I would not be able to find it. Here it is. This can be used as a quick course for politicians if they are not familiar with the process. Thanks.

sunjoshi said:
superman007,
When is your meeting scheduled? Please grab this opportunity with both your hands!! Not only for this entire community, you can also keep that channel open for your own specific case too (who says a carrot approach doesn't work? !! :))

1. Call the congressman's office and find out his position on this issue (you can just ask his office, or see his webpage)
2. Depending on that, you can use the presentation floating around in this thread, and modify it if needed. Please present it to the congressman, and request his support and also from other lawmakers that he may have influence over. If he already supports it, don't forget to thank him and shower some praise on him :)
3. There is PLENTY of info in this thread/forum that you can use. The ppt is just a subset, but should be something quick you can use (but need not be limited to it). Feel free to ask any help you may need. Folks on this thread have been REALLY helpful!!

We need you help!
Good Luck.

The following is from NumbersUSA
"As of Monday evening, House Republican negotiators are allowing Specter's radical Senate immigration provisions to stay in this budget bill. The surprise vote could occur as early as Tuesday, December 6th."

But it looks like NumbersUSA is working at full force sending faxes and making phone calls against immigration proposal.And where is CompeteAmerica?They surfaced when the bill was first introduced in senate and after that they are not even updating their website with latest developments.

well this is interesting. if we dont get the immigration provision passed with this budget bill then resolving the comprehensive immigration bill will take months and months......
SaiWelcome said:
Source: http://www.immigration-law.com/
------------------------------------------------

12/06/2005: Conference Committee for Budget Deficit Reduction Act of 2005, S. 1932 as Amended

The House returns to the session today and the Senate will return to the session next Monday, December 12, 2005. We do not know which members of the House and the Senate will be asked to represent each house in the Conference Committee, but considering the fact that each house tends to pick from the committee in charge the members to represent in the conference committee, people may want to contact and be familialized themselves with the members of these committees:
House Budget Committee (that passed H.R. 4241, the House version of the legislation)
Senate Judiciary Committee (that passed S. 1932, the Senate version of th legislation)
We will post the names of the members as soon as each house asks the names to the conference committee. By now, people must have learned that the Comprehensive Immigration Reform legislation will turn into one of the hottest political battlefields in 2006 which may not be resolved for months and months to come. The "legal" immigration package in the S. 1932 is the legislation which will have to be resolved within this month as separate from the Comprehensive Immigration Reform legislation next year. People are reminded that when it comes to legal immigration, all segments of the political arena, including the White House, the Senate, the House, the media, and the public, agree to the needs for increase in legal employment-based immigrants and only anti-immigration forces are mobilizing strategies to quite down the immigration supporters with the argument that the immigration packet in S. 1932 should be handled as part of the Comprehensive Immigration Reform legislation just to delay and kill the debate on the issue in December. The business community and higher learning institutions should continue to contact the members of the Congress to educate them that S. 1932 immigration recapture legislation is a totally separate issue from the comprehensive immigration reform issues and the nation needs this legislation and cannot afford any delay in the legislation.

friends,

These reports are exactly why several on this forum are working in highest-gear mode. If we miss this opportunity, the next steps are going to be a loong loong battle. Comprehensive immig bill can take the entire year if not more. We need to contact everyone on the conference committee to get this done NOW.

Sunjoshi

gc_help76 said:
In Stucklabor's mods.. Don't used 9/11 , use recent years... i guess..

Yes i second that. To me too it did not sound very impressive when i read it.

Sunjoshi,

Question for you.

Assume that conference committe include immigration section 8001 to final draft. The bill will go directly to the President or go back to Senete and Congress for approval of final draft?

sunjoshi said:
friends,

These reports are exactly why several on this forum are working in highest-gear mode. If we miss this opportunity, the next steps are going to be a loong loong battle. Comprehensive immig bill can take the entire year if not more. We need to contact everyone on the conference committee to get this done NOW.

Sunjoshi, requesting mods to ppt

sunjoshi said:
Added a new slide "proposals from lawmakers". Pls review

SunJ,

1. In the Legislation page, please modify the bullet point on Sen. Specter. He has not proposed several bills, he has marked up several competing bills into one bill so that everything can be discussed at one time. The bullet point should probably read

- Sen Specter: marked up several competing proposals into an omnibus bill for discussion in Spring 2006.

2. I agree with the people who wanted to drop the reference to '9/11' re: immigration restrictions. We should just replace '9/11' with 'recent'.

Thanks again for taking the initiative and actually doing something as opposed to those who sit and pontificate.

Letter to the President

Just wrote a letter to the President's office. Hope they get it and something comes off it

Pipe_dream, Superman007: Re James Sensenbrenner

Pipe_dream,

James Sensenbrenner is a member of the House of Representatives, NOT a Senator. If you do join Superman007 on his meeting, please make sure you address him as Representative.

You guys should also follow SunJoshi's lead and wear suits etc. Take SunJoshi's presentation on a laptop or a USB memory stick.

Sensenbrenner is being quoted by NumbersUSA as a anti-immigration proponent. If you manage to convert him to our cause that would be awesome, so please put your best foot forward.

Thanks.

pipe_dream said:
Hello Superman007,

First let me thank you for contacting senator Mr. James Sensenbrenner. I have made several futile attempts in recent weeks to get an appointment with senator to discuss about retrogression impact.

This is wonderful to know that, you were able to get an appointment with senator. As I am from Wisconsin, I would like to join you in meeting senator Sensenbrenner and would like to work with you in preparing meeting notes. Please let me know, if this works for you.

Regards,

extract from numbers usa

As of Monday evening, House Republican negotiators are allowing the first of two radical Senate immigration provisions proposed by Sen. Arlen Specter (R-PA) to stay in the pending Budget Reconciliation Conference report

Numbers USA is working on countering this effort:

http://www.numbersusa.com/hottopic/specterproposal.html

I have sent out faxes to all the senators and congress members in my state.. all those people who have not .. Plzzz