S. 1932 Status

We will know the members of the conference committe by mid of next week, when House and senate get back to their work.

As we all know if we want to cut a tree in 5 hours spend maximum number of available hours to sharpen the axe. In other words spend more time in preparing a letter so that it delivers the write message and message has the maximum impact.

Do well :)
All the BEST !!!

sunjoshi said:
Thank You So much for the Links and information. I'll definetely print them off, and time permitting, will put together the ppt (if someone already has something quick and easy, I'll be delighted to use that)

My meeting is on Dec-3 with Tom Price, and I'll post the outcome right after.

On another note, someone mentioned contacting NPR et al. NPR is considered extreme left wing (not that it makes a difference to us), but we must bear in mind some political nuances when we approach media outlets and lawmakers. If you go to a conservative lawmaker and project that your cause was covered on NPR, that won't fly! CSPAN is a lot more moderate than NPR and should be a good target. So is Washington Post.

Right now it appears that republicans are our friends (since they are supporting S.1932 and HR4241 AND are majority in both houses), but it could be exactly opposite next year given the way many senate/congress seats are paning out, thus far.

maybe good sign from the Congress

Per immigraion-law.com,

" Report indicates that GOP leaders had run through the list of differences between the House and the Senate at their leadership retreat this week and "on each one, although we didn't come to specific decisions, there was a sense that once conference begins formally, that they can accomplish the passage of this bill "hopefully by the 19th or 20th" of this month." Senate majority leader Bill Frist however acknowledges there are sharp differences between the chambers on the spending cut bill. "

Hope for the best next week...

Link here: http://www.immigration-law.com

Excellent Meeting

Friends,

As promised, here are the details about the meeting.

I got in at 9:10 AM, so was the first to arrive (what do u expect from a desi worker anyway?:) ). I quickly put together a powerpoint ppt the next 15 mins (is rather clumsy, and my apologies). The lady at front desk told me that congressman will be 30 mins late, but a staff member has to look at the presentation before I got my chance. This staff member is the director of projects for the congressman, and shared almost 30 mins with me. I walked him thru the ppt and he was very impressed. He then introduced me to the director of washington office and asked me to show it to him. He was very impressed too, and was actually surprised the community is keeping track of bills so closely.
Finally both the directors told Tom price that he should look a the ppt. There was a 5 min limit per person with the congressman, but I actually got close to 12-14 mins. I again walked thru the presentation, and the congressman had SEVERAL questions. Luckily I was able to answer all of them. He was VERY impressed, and asked for a copy of the ppt immediately. We talked about S.1932 and HR4241 quite a bit, and he said he'll use my ppt and do his best to retain sec 8000/8001 of S.1932 to the final Bill. He also said that he'll contact me the next couple days if he needs more info on the ppt. So guys, if he does, I'll need volunteers to help out gather more data/statistics.

I've already emailed him the ppt and it is attached to this post. Please send your updates quoting slide numbers and the points you like to update/delete/add. I'll update the ppt accordingly and resend a good one. Like I said, this one is clumsy.

Thank You.

Excellent Job Sunjoshi. If possible please confirm the receipt of your email with power point with him.

What kind of data/Statistics you are looking for. Let me know.

that was very impressive. God bless you and your family. May you get all the prosperity available on earth. Lets keep up the campaign. I have been in touch with comepeteamerica. They are also helping us out a lot.

Awesome !!!

That was awesome Sunjoshi ! You have done a commendable job. I am sure this would be a source of inspiration for many & i hope we will see many more initiatives like this.

physicians

Excellent job Sunjoshi
I will get in touch with Associations of Physicians of Inida regarding foreign born physicians and their contribution to health industry

there are about 40% physicians of Indian origin( total mounting of more than fifty thousnads)
Among this there may be about 5000 physicians who are on temporary visa.
Due to this retrogression we are not contributing to econimic growth(such as buying new house, starting a new business and hiring american workers, family planning, sending money to back home) because we always feel it as temporary.
This problem isthere even after serving in under served physician shortage areas for a period of nearly 3-5 years. After this due to retrogression another 5 years. So a total of minimum 8 -10 years a fully practicing physician will be on a temporary worker status.
A single physician who is on temporary status over a ten year period definitley makes more than a million dollars , and he can not actively invest in corporate american business instead he sends part of the money to home country.
From physician community I am representing a common temporary physician thoughts.

Excellent Job Sunjoshi. Congrat and thans for your efforts. Hard work always pay.

sunjoshi said:
Friends,

As promised, here are the details about the meeting.

I got in at 9:10 AM, so was the first to arrive (what do u expect from a desi worker anyway?:) ). I quickly put together a powerpoint ppt the next 15 mins (is rather clumsy, and my apologies). The lady at front desk told me that congressman will be 30 mins late, but a staff member has to look at the presentation before I got my chance. This staff member is the director of projects for the congressman, and shared almost 30 mins with me. I walked him thru the ppt and he was very impressed. He then introduced me to the director of washington office and asked me to show it to him. He was very impressed too, and was actually surprised the community is keeping track of bills so closely.
Finally both the directors told Tom price that he should look a the ppt. There was a 5 min limit per person with the congressman, but I actually got close to 12-14 mins. I again walked thru the presentation, and the congressman had SEVERAL questions. Luckily I was able to answer all of them. He was VERY impressed, and asked for a copy of the ppt immediately. We talked about S.1932 and HR4241 quite a bit, and he said he'll use my ppt and do his best to retain sec 8000/8001 of S.1932 to the final Bill. He also said that he'll contact me the next couple days if he needs more info on the ppt. So guys, if he does, I'll need volunteers to help out gather more data/statistics.

I've already emailed him the ppt and it is attached to this post. Please send your updates quoting slide numbers and the points you like to update/delete/add. I'll update the ppt accordingly and resend a good one. Like I said, this one is clumsy.

Thank You.

sunjoshi said:
Any updates to the ppt from anyone? Pls think it over b4 Monday morning

Sunjoshi,

Two things in addition to the statistics that we'll need to emphasize. These are just my thoughts.

1. We should be loud and clear in explaining to the Senators/Congressmen, especially to those who are NOT very receptive to these new proposals that we are NOT asking for an increase in quota. Many if not all of these people are under the impression that the bill facilitates an annual increase in the number of visas (both H1B and GCs) which is NOT true in this case. We are just trying to recapture unused visas from the previous years as a way to provide relief to the people who are currently waiting for their approvals.

2. Instead of overemphasizing our plight (like saying how companies are harassing us blah blah...this is fundamentally wrong and actually works to our disadvantage), we need to instead emphasize the fact that American companies are struggling to find skilled workers. A majority of the companies do NOT sponsor H1B visas. Since they cannot find skilled workers and also have a policy in place NOT to sponsor H1 visas, they are forced to outsource work to other countries. Many senators/congressmen fail to understand this point and instead believe outsourcing is a result of companies trying to save cost. While this is true, this is not the only reason why companies create jobs elsewhere. This country is definitely short of skilled workers and this is what we need to make the lawmakers understand.

These are just my friendly suggestions and I am not sure what effect this will have on the senator you are dealing with. Any way, please keep up the good work. Your help in this regard is well appreciated. Many thanks to you!!