S. 1932 Status

I dont want to move the discussion in a different direction here, but only one GC per Labor. No matter how many people apply. With the use of AC 21 multiple people end up applying with the same labor. Once the first request for 485 is approved, rest of the applications will be denied.

Just faxed my local House Representative and Senators from MA (all democrats) on supporting this bill. Guys keep the momentum going and ask friends not registered on this site to email, call or fax their representatives.

The new letter/fax

Pdakwala,

thanks for a great letter.. But I think it is missing the specifics of what we want the congressman to do.. We are merely asking for him to support the "visa retrogression " bill. I think for our request to be effective, we need to give him the bill reference.. is it HR-4241? The subject line should say, "Request for your support to bill HR - 4241.

wouldn't you agree??

I am preparing my fax and wating for your confirmation on the bill specifics..

Thanks

spam70

HR-4241 does not have the retrogression clauses. For that reason I have not mention the bill number HR 4241 in the subject line. Even if they support it will not make any difference to us since the bill HR 4241 does not have any retrogression clause.

You have a valid point though. I have reformat the letter. Here it is.

Sub: Employment Based EB Visa RETROGRESSION

Dear Honorable Member of Congress,

American businesses and legal immigrants (Information technology professionals, Health care professionals and others) are facing serious crises: “Lengthy Visa Backlogs Because Of Employment Based Visa Retrogression." These highly skilled workers face lengthy "green card" backlogs that will prevent them from becoming U.S. permanent residents in the foreseeable future.

The Senate has addressed the employment based visa retrogression issue by passing Bill # S 1932. The bill would provide several reliefs to the American companies and legal immigrants such as:
• Allow those whose labor has been approved to file for Adjustment of status even though the dates are not current.
• Provides flexibility to change their jobs in United States under AC21 law. Currently because of the VISA RETROGRESSION the AC21 law passed by Congress is of no use.
• American businesses will be able to find the right candidate with the right skills in United States.
• Spouses and children can take higher education at the American Schools and Universities who will ultimately contribute to American Businesses.

I urge you to please address the employment based visa retrogression issue in the House under Bill HR # 4241 and provide a reasonable and workable solution to the VISA RETROGRESSION PROBLEM. The beneficiaries would be the people whose permanent labors are certified by the DOL (which proves that there are no Americans available or want to take these jobs) and are waiting to adjust their status since years. The inability of U.S. businesses to hire these talented professionals on a permanent basis severely hinders their competitiveness abroad. These are the legal immigrants who came to United States legally. They are the people who are following the law, and are paying taxes.

By addressing the Employment based Visa retrogression issue and by providing them a reasonable and workable solution the House will provide number of benefits to United States.
• Jobs WILL stay in USA: If legal immigrants are not allowed to adjust their status they will have to go back to their home country. As a result the corporations will be indirectly forced to outsource the job to other countries.
• Additional revenue for the Government: The govt. will get $500 more on each recaptured visa number. This will be additional revenue of $60 million per year.
• Stop the knowledge drain to other countries: Mr. Tom Ridge, ex chief of Homeland Security said in April 14, 2003 "as we secure America from terrorists, we do not want to risk losing the next Enrico Fermi or Albert Einstein…We would be a far poorer nation in many, many ways." These highly skilled people if not allowed to adjust their status will leave this country and would settle either in their home countries or in the competing countries such as United Kingdom, Canada, or Australia whose immigration policies have been made more conducive recently to attract highly skilled professionals.
• Growth of the Nation: Spouses and children can take higher education at the US Schools and Universities thereby contribute to a knowledgeable Society. Also Educated Spouses can start working on EAD's and contribute their share to the Nation's Economy.

We urge you take action at this critical juncture to provide much needed relief to legal immigrants. We request you to provide similar relief that Senate has provided by passing bill # 1932.

Thanking you,

Yours Sincerely,

YOUR NAME

pdakwala,

Thanks for the quick reply and correction. So looks like they need to inlcude some provision in HR-4241 to address Visa Retrogression. I was reading in some thread that this has to be written and presented by a congressman.

If you ask me, with due respect, our frantic mail/fax campaign, is worthless, well not entirely, it will definitely increase the awareness about the "visa retrogresson" issue among the congressman. But, as you would agree that's not sufficient.

Don't the people here think we should propose the idea of amendment to the congressman, say take the relevant portion from the passed S#1932 and urge congressman to put that as an amendment in H-4241. As somebody here suggested, we need to make a pro-immigration congressman/woman a champion/writer of this amendment and push other congressmen to support it.

I seriously think that before we bombard congressman across the country we need to know what we need them to do..

Sorry if it is harsh, either it is the reality or I am missing something, in that case I apologize..

Spam70

I agree with you that pro-immigration congressman/woman a champion/writer of the amendment will have bigger impact. But that route is for the big people and company and involves lot of money and time. Let's be honest this is the only newsgroup where we all are discussing the immigration issue. Apart from that for the currnet bill we don't have time.

Also Senators and House of representative will first see the importance of the issue. If they feel that they will get more support if they raise any particular issue then only they will agree to push something. They are all politicians who looks at their own interest first.

Our goal at this time is to increase the awareness. The moment one senator or HR raise the issue others will rally him or her. We were able to do that in Senate and I am sure that with little more work from the immigration commuity we can do that in House also. If we are able to increase the awareness at certain level I am sure that someone in the political wing would ask for the amendment.

Even if the house passes their version of the bill our work and efforts will not be useless. The conference committe would try to come up with the single version of the bill so that the bill can be sent to Bush for his signature. The conference committee is the place where the change in the immigration provision would take place.

Our fax, emails and letter would help us at that point. If we are able to increase the awareness of the senators, and house of representatives, they will address the retrogression problem. I therefore recommend everyone to get in touch with their house of representative and draw their attention to this problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
One Observation in this letter..

60 million a year may not sound so big to them, if the amount projected is big, corporations and politicians will work for it. We can then be in a better situation. Obviously we have to shell out. Or make it sound like a fee of 3000 $ per application times the EB visa captured, based on current estimates, it would be in the ballpark of 90000* 3 K = 270 Million USD for that many visaundefineds, plus 3000 for every family member to be added. Assuming 1 dependant for every EB on an avg - it means 540 Million USD ( Half a billion )

That way the amount will be a good bait for them to work towards getting * things done *. They say "Money Talks". We got to do this.. we got to think big. Just imagine, if u loose 10 K now, it is ok, u can get a better job always and also not loose the fear of going out of status without emphasising further..

pdakwala said:
Spam70

Senators and House of representative will first see the importance of the issue. If they feel that they will get more support if they raise any particular issue then only they will agree to push something. They are all politicians who looks at their own interest first.

Our goal at this time is to increase the awareness. The moment one senator or HR raise the issue others will rally him or her. We were able to do that in Senate and I am sure that with little more work from the immigration commuity we can do that in House also. If we are able to increase the awareness at certain level I am sure that someone in the political wing would ask for the amendment.

Even if the house passes their version of the bill our work and efforts will not be useless. The conference committe would try to come up with the single version of the bill so that the bill can be sent to Bush for his signature. The conference committee is the place where the change in the immigration provision would take place.

Our fax, emails and letter would help us at that point. If we are able to increase the awareness of the senators, and house of representatives, they will address the retrogression problem. I therefore recommend everyone to get in touch with their house of representative and draw their attention to this problem.

Contact High-tech committee?

If the Senate High-tech committee was at least partially responsible for the failure of Senator Byr'ds amendment, we can't do better than contact the House High-tech committee (do the Republicans and Democrats have seperate ones?)

Rep Bob Goodlatte is Chairman of the House Republican High-Tech Working Group and serves on the House Judiciary Subcommittee on Immigration, Border Security, and Claims.

A Virginian may need to contact him..and see if there is an amendment planned to bring the House Bill in line with the Senate Bill.

Bob Goodlatte's Washington, DC Office:
2240 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
(202) 225-5431
(202) 225-9681 fax

We need to talk with $$$ revenues for GOVT

Sorry to push the money angle.. this is what counts. Esp we can emphasis how the US Govt needs money for Katrina /Wilma victims etc.. and how the tax payer is not taxed in the process.. with the funds govt can get thru the EB Visa capture.. should be empasised... ??

GCin-waitng said:
If the Senate High-tech committee was at least partially responsible for the failure of Senator Byr'ds amendment, we can't do better than contact the House High-tech committee (do the Republicans and Democrats have seperate ones?)

Rep Bob Goodlatte is Chairman of the House Republican High-Tech Working Group and serves on the House Judiciary Subcommittee on Immigration, Border Security, and Claims.

A Virginian may need to contact him..and see if there is an amendment planned to bring the House Bill in line with the Senate Bill.

Bob Goodlatte's Washington, DC Office:
2240 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
(202) 225-5431
(202) 225-9681 fax

$$ Speak!

As we heared from President asking for pushing the envelop for further revenues ($$!) here is one proposal which may grab the lawmakers attention.We can propose to enforce fee for Labor Certification which is totally free at this time!Since this fee has to be paid by the employer, most of the needy employers will pay this.Only the shady ones will ask the employee to secretly pay this amount as is the case with Hib.I know that many people do pay the Lawyers fee and application fee from their pocket for H1B,which strictly speaking is illegal.
If a reasonable fee of $ 250.00 is charged for LC PERM, it will generate massive revenue for the govt, especially when there is USCIS/DOL move to limit the validity of approved PERM to only 45 days for submitting I-140.If we can get the attention of a few congressmen to propose this as an amendement in the House Bill along with the provisions in line with senate bill S.1932 section 8001, we may get good support from no less than GWBush, when it comes to his table for signature,only because of the $$ potential!
This is especially relevant as there are many provisions in the senate version,like the medicare/medicaid,which the white house is not happy at all,and the chances of this whole budget reconciliation bill getting vetoed by GWB is very strong as it is now.
Unfortunately the Congressman from my district is a member of the Immigration Caucus which opposes any increase or ease of immigration benefits to foreigners.

still simpler

want gc in 1 yr-5k
want in 6 months-25K
want in 1 month-50K, they sure can make more with that proposal
LCBEFORETROGRES said:
As we heared from President asking for pushing the envelop for further revenues ($$!) here is one proposal which may grab the lawmakers attention.We can propose to enforce fee for Labor Certification which is totally free at this time!Since this fee has to be paid by the employer, most of the needy employers will pay this.Only the shady ones will ask the employee to secretly pay this amount as is the case with Hib.I know that many people do pay the Lawyers fee and application fee from their pocket for H1B,which strictly speaking is illegal.
If a reasonable fee of $ 250.00 is charged for LC PERM, it will generate massive revenue for the govt, especially when there is USCIS/DOL move to limit the validity of approved PERM to only 45 days for submitting I-140.If we can get the attention of a few congressmen to propose this as an amendement in the House Bill along with the provisions in line with senate bill S.1932 section 8001, we may get good support from no less than GWBush, when it comes to his table for signature,only because of the $$ potential!
This is especially relevant as there are many provisions in the senate version,like the medicare/medicaid,which the white house is not happy at all,and the chances of this whole budget reconciliation bill getting vetoed by GWB is very strong as it is now.
Unfortunately the Congressman from my district is a member of the Immigration Caucus which opposes any increase or ease of immigration benefits to foreigners.

i-485 filing date

i go my labor approved 0n july 14th '05, and have filed for 1-140. how long does it take to approve 1-140. i am a lay man in this topic and joining for the 1st time

My version of letter to the member of cogress

Friends please share your thoughts about my version of the letter.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sub: Thanks for your letter. Importance of immigration part of the senate budget reconciliation bill S1932 that was passed in the senate on Nov 02, 2005. Similar action requested in the house budget reconciliation bill. Explanation of some facts and some myths and realities.

Thank you for the letter with your thoughts on the crisis related to legal highly skilled professional guest workers.

In this letter I would like to share my thoughts about the importance of *recapture* of visas that are lost due to governmental inability to timely process the applications and other relief measures that are essential to tackle visa retrogression and visa unavailability.

First I would mention about the facts and then some myths and realities later.

Fact 1: EB visas/ Green card Visa numbers are retrogressed in the categories of all
professional, professionals with advanced degrees and priority workers.
What does it means: This means there are applicants who has been *waiting for
more than 7 years* for their applications for permanent residence to be processed
with the government (USCIS). This also means that they have been waiting for
*more than 9 years* after their green card work started.
The actual target of United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS),
the governmental organization which deals with subject is, to adjudicate the
application in 6 months by the year 2006.
Fact 2: H-1B visas, also know as ‘temporary guest worker’ visas are all used up in the
first two months of the fiscal year 2006.
What does it mean: It means there is still a lot of demand for these H-1B visas and
there is a situation where some employers have to wait for at least another 10
months to do their efficient, productive businesses or the business has to go to the
place where these highly skilled workers are available.

Requested action: The senate took an action before it is too late and passed S1932 with provisions to address the problem of visa retrogression and visa unavailability. Your support for the senate version of the bill would be greatly appreciated. We humbly request to amend the existing house bill subtitle A (section 5101, of the title V of Deficit reductions act of 2005) and incorporate provisions similar to section 8001 and 8002 of S1932 (Deficit Reduction Omnibus Reconciliation Act 2005)

Beneficiaries: The American government, American business that includes American Employers and American people as well as the legal tax paying guest workers.

Myth 1:Legal Guest workers are taking away American workers jobs. the reality is by law an employer can't offer a job to a guest worker if a suitable American worker is available.

Myth 2: Employers offer jobs to guest workers because they are available for cheap. The reality is the opposite in the case of these employment categories. By law an employer can’t offer a job below the wages standardized for the respective profession by the United States department of labor. In addition to offering equal or more wages to that of an American employee the employers have to take care of the visa processing for the guest workers.

Myth3: Guest workers are competing for the jobs with American workers. There are several rules and regulations already in effect that protect the interests of the American workers. There are several studies which concluded that these legally bound highly skilled guest workers compete among themselves for the available jobs. The fact is these guest workers (permanent or temporary) compete among themselves and raise the bar of competitive America in several ways this helping to flourish the American business.

Myth 4: These are illegal guest workers. No, not at all. These are legal tax paying guest workers.

Myth 5: S1932 raises the cap on the number of visas in EB and H-1B categories which means permanently raising the number of the visas.
But the reality is it is a temporary measure to solve the problem by ‘recapturing” the visas which the Laws and regulations has mandated to use by the US government but were not utilized because of the slow processing of the applications by the government.

Before winding off I would once again sincerely request you to support the senate immigration relief provisions and incorporate similar provisions in the house version.

Thanking you,
Sincerely,

Your note !! - on h1 B - Very very URGENT

Hi Raviks34,

Looks like you want to blew it up in one shot !... Why are u so hell bent on H1 B Increase, are u going to gain anything otherthan pissing off all in Congress and avg americans ?? Are u going to get anything for getting H1 B increase ?

We need EB Retro Visas only , we need it badly, and we need to ask this and this only. We need to emphasis on $ earnings to GW Bush and others abt the $ potential earnings. Also, the more H1 B increase the further your chance to get your GC..perhaps our grandchildren might make it if you apply now for GC at this rate.

Leave the H1 Business to folks like Infosys and Wipro, they are good at handling those. We need to mind our business which is to ask for EB Visas only.

Anyone Disagrees ???

raviks34 said:
Friends please share your thoughts about my version of the letter.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sub: Thanks for your letter. Importance of immigration part of the senate budget reconciliation bill S1932 that was passed in the senate on Nov 02, 2005. Similar action requested in the house budget reconciliation bill. Explanation of some facts and some myths and realities.

Thank you for the letter with your thoughts on the crisis related to legal highly skilled professional guest workers.

In this letter I would like to share my thoughts about the importance of *recapture* of visas that are lost due to governmental inability to timely process the applications and other relief measures that are essential to tackle visa retrogression and visa unavailability.

First I would mention about the facts and then some myths and realities later.

Fact 1: EB visas/ Green card Visa numbers are retrogressed in the categories of all
professional, professionals with advanced degrees and priority workers.
What does it means: This means there are applicants who has been *waiting for
more than 7 years* for their applications for permanent residence to be processed
with the government (USCIS). This also means that they have been waiting for
*more than 9 years* after their green card work started.
The actual target of United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS),
the governmental organization which deals with subject is, to adjudicate the
application in 6 months by the year 2006.
Fact 2: H-1B visas, also know as ‘temporary guest worker’ visas are all used up in the
first two months of the fiscal year 2006.
What does it mean: It means there is still a lot of demand for these H-1B visas and
there is a situation where some employers have to wait for at least another 10
months to do their efficient, productive businesses or the business has to go to the
place where these highly skilled workers are available.

Requested action: The senate took an action before it is too late and passed S1932 with provisions to address the problem of visa retrogression and visa unavailability. Your support for the senate version of the bill would be greatly appreciated. We humbly request to amend the existing house bill subtitle A (section 5101, of the title V of Deficit reductions act of 2005) and incorporate provisions similar to section 8001 and 8002 of S1932 (Deficit Reduction Omnibus Reconciliation Act 2005)

Beneficiaries: The American government, American business that includes American Employers and American people as well as the legal tax paying guest workers.

Myth 1:Legal Guest workers are taking away American workers jobs. the reality is by law an employer can't offer a job to a guest worker if a suitable American worker is available.

Myth 2: Employers offer jobs to guest workers because they are available for cheap. The reality is the opposite in the case of these employment categories. By law an employer can’t offer a job below the wages standardized for the respective profession by the United States department of labor. In addition to offering equal or more wages to that of an American employee the employers have to take care of the visa processing for the guest workers.

Myth3: Guest workers are competing for the jobs with American workers. There are several rules and regulations already in effect that protect the interests of the American workers. There are several studies which concluded that these legally bound highly skilled guest workers compete among themselves for the available jobs. The fact is these guest workers (permanent or temporary) compete among themselves and raise the bar of competitive America in several ways this helping to flourish the American business.

Myth 4: These are illegal guest workers. No, not at all. These are legal tax paying guest workers.

Myth 5: S1932 raises the cap on the number of visas in EB and H-1B categories which means permanently raising the number of the visas.
But the reality is it is a temporary measure to solve the problem by ‘recapturing” the visas which the Laws and regulations has mandated to use by the US government but were not utilized because of the slow processing of the applications by the government.

Before winding off I would once again sincerely request you to support the senate immigration relief provisions and incorporate similar provisions in the house version.

Thanking you,
Sincerely,

All:

I just came back from a long trip and am trying to participate in the ongoing discussions.

I have some points to make here. I am going to try and play the "devils advocate" so that we can gauge how Americans may view the retrogression relief efforts.

This bill is called Budget Reconciliation Bill. It means they want to raise more money. If I was an American, I will ask; How will recapturing the 90000 visas and not counting family members and allowing for 485 and EAD application despite non-availability of numbers contribute to budget deficiency? I am not being negative here. But these are valid questions. Do we have answers to this? It will be nice if we do. I read in a recent news article where a politician pointed out that apart form the L1 fee increase, the other provisions are off the mark and do not contribute in any way to budget reconciliation and that those provisoins are in the wrong Bill. How can we counter this point if it is raised. We need to think about this. And we need to wake up to the fact that for the above reasons, these provisions may be dropped form the final version of the bill. BUT I AM NOT SAYING THAT WE SHOULD NOT CONTINUE OUR EFFORTS. I am just saying that we should approach it realistically. While focusing my efforts on persuading house members to incorporate the provisions we want, I woudl also think about WHAT IF THIS DOES NOT GO THROUGH? Are there other bills in which our provisions can be included? If we dont do this, we are not only being too optimistic and are risking putting all the eggs in one basket.

Again, I dont mean to be negative and I WILL send the letters to House members. But I want to be a realist.

Also, if it is OK, lets not mention anything about H1 caps in our letters. Do you think the people who are being affected by H1 caps are fighting for EB visa numbers? Maybe some are. But not a whole lot. We are just spoiling our request for provisions of interest to us by bringing in a factor that adds a bad odor to it. H1B visa numbers is a sore issue and is highly publicized as somehting that robs jobs from American workers. So if it OK, lets stick to EB recapture, not counting family members and allowing for EAD applciation. THe people affected by H1B will certainly lobby for their cause. If they arent lobbying, they should.

I hope my comments are not perceived as being caustic and parochial. I am just shaping the means with the END (GC) in mind.

Thanks,

Santosh

Need of the hour !!!

1. Let us all do one thing.. " Focus just on EB Category only ".

By tagging H1, you are going to get a terrible negative image. A leading law firm who did not want to be quoted ( from Washington DC and San Jose CA) said, if we push h1 cause, we may not get anything due to the - ve publicity and also elections are around the corner. On the otherhand, the avg americans and congress folks are not against EB Retro capture, but we need to make efforts to educate and also introduce the $ Factor. If Americans are not going to gain anything with " EB RETRO VISA CAPTURE " they may not like to put people and efforts for our cause to get I 485 current. On the other hand if we highlight how the GOVT Can raise funds for all natural calamities through the EB VISA processing, and how this process does nto affect american jobs, and how the folks suffering from EB Syndrome would go back..and how the jobs would follow them needs to be highlighted. So we need to clearly say they are hitting two birds with one stone. $$$ revenue of abt 400 million with Visa Fees, and also retaining the EB Folks and their Jobs in US, and helping the economy. Emphasis all EB VISA Seekers are legal workers - aliens and are paying high taxes and Social Security.

santosh_30 said:
Sundar....I completely agree with what you said. Plesae see my previous post.

Santosh