S. 1932 Status

Update on EB Retrogession !!!

I spoke to a few folks from Stanford and MIT and also in Intel. As per Intel engineers. (their company lawyers) . they feel that if all folks focus on EB Retro issues and project in a letter what we actually want very crisply, would deliver the result. Since most of the folks only talk abt retro..we need " someone to paste an updated letter quickly" to be mailed to all folks concerned (congress, senator etc). The tone of letters should indicate how US Stands to gain, and how they do not see us as extra baggage on the economy, and also the plight of us and to emphasise fairness. Do not stress on internal EB Categories...but do indicate how the system can be fair by removing the spouse inclusions.

(2) Pls paste the letter what everyone needs to do is to FAX and EMAIL ASAP. Also to double the rate, send one with your name and also ask your wife also to send it too independently. (Do not call it under spouse !!).

(3) Step up this effort in " Very High Gear " now.. it is now or never. Please pump your best efforts NOW.....NOW.....Now...

Thanks Again !

Sanvibha said:
I fully agree with views expressed above. Average American does not know about Retrogression, but they do know about H1B which in their opinion, is for taking away their jobs.

In view of this, I have updated content of ram-ram's very immpressive letter which is reproduced below.

I am planning to send this modified letter to all congressman from all 6 states from New England area.

My regards to all these dedicated people in this forum who are doing their best for the benifit of most of us.

Sanvibha

More fees for $$$$ for EB Visa !!

Since US Congressman and Sentaros understand $$...

if u guys feel strongly, u can ask them to recap EB Visas, remove spouse and family inclusions, and also suggest a 1000$ increase for EB filing and also add 1000 $ for each family members. This can deliver better result..because.. if u take in terms of $.. let us see.. 90,000 * 1000 for primary applicants, + family let us say is 3 per house.. means 360000000 $ in turn. 360 million direct revenue without adding any JOB CUTS !!! and also mention how this money can be used for WiLMA, KATRINA and other Natural Disasters and the need of the hour to Raise this funds !!. If u tell Sentors to inc Taxes, they will see the anger of AMERICANS on the streets. But any increase in Fees will not affect Americans, and they will see this as Businesss oportunity - one time to make a windfall... for us we need the I485 current..so we should be ready for spending $....

Do you think it makes sense !?

sundar99 said:
I spoke to a few folks from Stanford and MIT and also in Intel. As per Intel engineers. (their company lawyers) . they feel that if all folks focus on EB Retro issues and project in a letter what we actually want very crisply, would deliver the result. Since most of the folks only talk abt retro..we need " someone to paste an updated letter quickly" to be mailed to all folks concerned (congress, senator etc). The tone of letters should indicate how US Stands to gain, and how they do not see us as extra baggage on the economy, and also the plight of us and to emphasise fairness. Do not stress on internal EB Categories...but do indicate how the system can be fair by removing the spouse inclusions.

(2) Pls paste the letter what everyone needs to do is to FAX and EMAIL ASAP. Also to double the rate, send one with your name and also ask your wife also to send it too independently. (Do not call it under spouse !!).

(3) Step up this effort in " Very High Gear " now.. it is now or never. Please pump your best efforts NOW.....NOW.....Now...

Thanks Again !

sundar99...i fully agree with this idea......i do not mind paying even $10k more as fee for GC if they can process the whole thing in 6 months(premium processing)......being a IT consultant...I can recover that amount in 2-3 months...and imagince the peaceful human like life after GC....i can pay another $10k for this peace......

they can hire more people to process our case.....they can use that money to train americans so that they can create their own manpower in future....etc..

ready to pay

I completley agree with you in paying $1000 or $10K to get rid of this shit.
Let us represnt this to the congress in writing. Let' tell that they are going to make big bucs out of it. The country's economy is going to boom up.

pls word it nicely in the same letter for EB Retro FIx

Folks,

Pls draft a letter mention how the $ increase would pump up the cash resources.. inturn ask them for recap of EB, exclusion of family, committed fixed processing time for the EB Visa. Or..they can make one category of EB on existing theme and another Premium Processing with 10K per person.. so that GOVT REALLY SEES as a WINDFALL.... if u go and show small change..they may not move an INCH. I am not trying to add expenses here. But if u want to make a Businsss case, then u got to realy show.. how govt stands to loose all these $ and talents !! since folks might leave out of frustration !... make it like we are doing them a favour.. and how NO US Jobs are affected... and EB Folks do not contribute for Layoff !!

Good job! clarification needed...

Hi All,
Great effort you all. I agree 1000 % that we need to focus on the retrogression issue! I also agree that 10K is not a big price to pay if it comes to that.

However, I am little confused abt the legislative process that is required for our final success. I spent abt an 1/2 hour reading the messages and links posted here, and doing minor research, but I hope to understand better what we all are aiming to do (in terms of asking for support). If someone can clarify, I would truely appreciate it.

I believe that understanding the process better would help to concentrate our efforts as well as guage the "real" chances of success. Heres what I understand:

"subtitle A (sec 5101) of title V of Deficit Reduction Act of 2005 has to be replaced by sec 8001 and sec 8002 of title VIII of Deficit Reduction Omnibus Reconciliation Act of 2005 (S.1932) which was passed in the Senate. Both the titles are releated to Judiciary committee"

The Deficit Reduction Act of 2005 (this one has the L visa fee increase) was approved by the House Budget Committee on Nov. 3rd.
(http://www.house.gov/budget/).
The Deficit Reduction Omnibus Reconciliation Act of 2005 (S.1932) was approved by the Senate Budget Committee on Oct 26th. (In this sec 8001 is more relevant to us than the sec 8002! 8002 essential talks of L visa(?) fee increases). http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c109:S.1932:

This is what the whitehouse has to say on S.1932:
http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/legislative/sap/109-1/s1932sap-s.pdf (pgs 4,5). They like the fee increase (!) but there is NO word abt 1) the reuse of visa numbers and b) application for adjustment of status if the visa number is not available (not current).

so heres the big question. What is the NEXT thing? How are these 2 bills going to be reconciled? Are the budget committees of the house and the senate reconcile their differences? If so, when is that scheduled to happen? and where will this happen- in the house/senate? Also, why is one bill names the "reconciliation" bill while the other one is not....

ps. Judiciary seems to be the least imp. thing in the bill?!? :-|

Thank you,
S.

Ok, so this bill has nothing to do with the S.1932, am I right?

Because on reading the text of this bill: TITLE V, Subtitle A, Sec 5101, pgs 490-491, I got the impression that only fee increase is the aim.... there is no word about using unused visa numbers etc.

WHY SHOULD WE BE PRAYING FOR THIS BILL???????????????? IN FACT, we SHOULDN'T unless they are willing to do something else in return for the fee increase!

S.

GOD_BLESS_YOU said:
House version of budget reconcilation bill
-- The Deficit Reduction Act of 2005 Bill HR - 4241
Placed in Congess Yesterday Night..

for details check here
http://www.immigrationportal.com/showpost.php?p=1292780&postcount=51

Confused !!

Me too confused....but I just customized the letter to suit my needs and I hereby paste a copy of the letter. Please let me know whether I made mention of any wrong bill# amendment# section# etc. Please let me know ASAP so that I could start faxing the letter very soon.

Date: November 8, 2005

Re: Bill # S 1932 that includes Senate's Proposal for Employment Based Visa Retrogression Relief

Dear Honorable Member of Congress,

I would like to urge you to support the temporary relief that the senate is trying to provide by releasing 90K employment based visa numbers. The beneficiaries of these provisions would be the people whose permanent labors are certified by the DOL (which proves that there are no Americans available or want to take these jobs) and are waiting to adjust their status for the past several years.

I am a scientist of Indian origin at one of the premier medical institutions in this country, the University of California at San Francisco. I am conducting medically valuable research that would potentially improve neurological health care in this country. As a foreigner, the only way for me to continue to do so is to be able to obtain legal immigration status in this country, which is currently taking 5-6 years from the date of application. The captioned bill will provide the much-needed relief by reducing this time frame, so that it will make me eligible to apply for much needed research funding. Therefore, I would therefore urge you to support this bill so that researchers like me can continue to contribute to medical advances that would benefit the nation.

Although I believe strongly in a comprehensive immigration reform, I urge you to support the Senate's proposal as an important first step toward an immigration system that better serves the interests of the U.S. economy. The Border security and Illegal immigration are also issues of higher priority, though they can be considered separately in a comprehensive reform. I am legally allowed to work under the H1-B program and have been paying taxes for several years, thereby contributing to the American Economy. I would like to adjust lawfully to a permanent resident status and seek your support by passing the senate-approved version that is contained in section 8001 and section 8002 of the S1932 Bill. This will provided much needed respite and relief to the immigrant community.

How these provisions will benefit professional legal immigrants?

1. Professionals with Legal status paying taxes, Medicare and social security for several years will be able to file for adjustment of status without waiting for visa numbers to become available. These professionals are already in USA and are filling those positions, which are certified by the DOL that enough Americans are not available or willing to take the positions.
2. People are who are already working in USA and filed for 'Adjustment of Status' are not able to bring in their spouses and children from abroad due to retrogression. This bill will help to reunite such divided families.
3. Educated Spouses can start working on EAD's and contribute their share to the Nation's Economy.
4. Spouses and children can take up higher education at the Universities thereby contribute to a knowledgeable Society.
5. On the flip side, some employers are taking advantage of the delays in Green card process. They are not willing to give salary hikes taking into view the point that the professional cannot change companies before the 140 gets approved and 180 days has passed after 485 filing (as per AC21 law). If the employee chooses to leave, he/she is forced to start all his Green card Process again with the new employer. I-485's cannot be filed when visa numbers are retrogressed. The AC21 provision passed in good intent by law becomes inapplicable here. It dilutes competitiveness, which AC21 intended for. If this bill is passed in the congress with the sections 8001 and 8002 from S1932 as approved by the senate, then AC21 will more applicable as intended by the original law.

How the US Government, public and private institutions will be benefited?

1. The professionals will contribute to the US Economy. They will spend the money in USA. If they are given a feeling of stability they will aid in a spur in economic activity like making more investments and buying new houses. These professionals will start new businesses that will provide more employment.
2. The jobs WILL stay in USA. The Corporations will not be forced to outsource them. The Industry will get more skilled and qualified professionals at reasonable pay rates. The pay rates are not cheap but reasonable. As per law, the Companies will have to pay 100% Prevailing wage.
3. The govt. will get $500 more on each recaptured visa number. This will be additional revenue of $60 million per year.
4. Almost half of the graduate students currently enrolled in the physical sciences and engineering at the United States universities come from other nations. With all due respect, please allow me to tell you what this statistics mean to this country. If this country fails to retain these scientists and engineers, they will take these technologies to foreign countries. The competing countries are sending all type of messages and winks to attract these scientists and engineers, not because they look cute or handsome or beautiful, but because they want to steal our technologies and knowledge through these scientists and engineers. The damage to this country in the long haul will be devastating. Without any doubt, you all love the United States of America as we do. The passage of the bill will stop the knowledge drain to other countries. In this context we would like to remind about what, Mr. Tom Ridge, ex chief of Homeland Security said in April 14, 2003 "as we secure America from terrorists, we do not want to risk losing the next Enrico Fermi or Albert Einstein…We would be a far poorer nation in many, many ways." He served this country at a time when the terrorism was more pressing issue for this nation, than today.
There are developed countries like Canada, Australia, Singapore and UK whose immigration policies have been made more conducive recently to attract highly skilled professionals. The passage of this bill by introducing the sections 8001 and 8002 passed in the senate will go a long way in paving the way for a more competitive America with these other nations. We urge you take action at this critical juncture to provide much needed relief to us.

spgtopper said:
Hi All,
Great effort you all. I agree 1000 % that we need to focus on the retrogression issue! I also agree that 10K is not a big price to pay if it comes to that.

However, I am little confused abt the legislative process that is required for our final success. I spent abt an 1/2 hour reading the messages and links posted here, and doing minor research, but I hope to understand better what we all are aiming to do (in terms of asking for support). If someone can clarify, I would truely appreciate it.

I believe that understanding the process better would help to concentrate our efforts as well as guage the "real" chances of success. Heres what I understand:

"subtitle A (sec 5101) of title V of Deficit Reduction Act of 2005 has to be replaced by sec 8001 and sec 8002 of title VIII of Deficit Reduction Omnibus Reconciliation Act of 2005 (S.1932) which was passed in the Senate. Both the titles are releated to Judiciary committee"

The Deficit Reduction Act of 2005 (this one has the L visa fee increase) was approved by the House Budget Committee on Nov. 3rd.
(http://www.house.gov/budget/).
The Deficit Reduction Omnibus Reconciliation Act of 2005 (S.1932) was approved by the Senate Budget Committee on Oct 26th. (In this sec 8001 is more relevant to us than the sec 8002! 8002 essential talks of L visa(?) fee increases). http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c109:S.1932:

This is what the whitehouse has to say on S.1932:
http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/legislative/sap/109-1/s1932sap-s.pdf (pgs 4,5). They like the fee increase (!) but there is NO word abt 1) the reuse of visa numbers and b) application for adjustment of status if the visa number is not available (not current).

so heres the big question. What is the NEXT thing? How are these 2 bills going to be reconciled? Are the budget committees of the house and the senate reconcile their differences? If so, when is that scheduled to happen? and where will this happen- in the house/senate? Also, why is one bill names the "reconciliation" bill while the other one is not....

ps. Judiciary seems to be the least imp. thing in the bill?!? :-|

Thank you,
S.

spgtopper said:
Ok, so this bill has nothing to do with the S.1932, am I right?

Because on reading the text of this bill: TITLE V, Subtitle A, Sec 5101, pgs 490-491, I got the impression that only fee increase is the aim.... there is no word about using unused visa numbers etc.

WHY SHOULD WE BE PRAYING FOR THIS BILL???????????????? IN FACT, we SHOULDN'T unless they are willing to do something else in return for the fee increase!

S.

This Bill - HR.4241 is House version of Budget Reconcilition
S.1932 is Senate Version of Budget Reconcilition

there will be consolidted final budget reconcilation bill from Full house conference commitee before sending it to president approval.,
The Final bill may have the provisions which agreed and amended by both houses...

http://www.immigrationportal.com/showpost.php?p=1290411&postcount=41

Thank you God bless you!

I understand now. Both the chambers (house/senate) also need to pass the bill. The approvals of their budget committees would not (obviously) be enough! :)

But, I assume, the house version of the bill should not a BIG concern because it does not have the immigration provisions that the S.1932 has!!

So, irrespective of what happens to the house version of the bill, we should be worried abt when the conference committee will be formed so the reconciliation starts and we have the S.1932 provisions included.

Moreover, we should write to the congressmen so that they support the senate provisions. Does the S.1932 stand to be more powerful than the house bill? Based on the following we can ponder: (from - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_House_of_Representatives)

PRO: 1. Senate is considered upper ("superior") to the house
PRO: 2. Senators serve longer, so should pay heed to the constituents' needs.
PRO-CON: 3. Senate is not as partisan (equal representation of the states) as the house (with 435 members from different states). However, the house does outnumber the senate :), and partisan views can very well previal on immigration issues!
PRO: 4) In general the bills in the senate and house are criticised as being unfair because they are apparantly "sqeezing" the very same people that should stand to benefit fro mthe deficit reduction. The "immigrants" should not fall under that category, and their shouldn't be much objection if they are squeezed (fee increases). So that should ge ta POSITIVE nod, I hope that our other concerns are addressed as well.

S.

I have a question.

I understand and we sent letters and faxes to the senators to support immigration provisions in S.1932

1.To whoom should we send letters or faxes to support the immigration reform in the house version of the bill. I guess my question who is comprised of the house.

2. Can we also ask some one to make amends to include immigration things in HR - 4241(house version)

3. In case HR- 4241 is also passed. Who is going to combine these both bills to include immigration things(EB stuff)

4. At what point does it go to president for signing. I mean will there be voting again after they make changes combining both the bills and how do they make changes.

I guess iam little confused. can somebody answer these questions and i will post a separate thread explaining the process or somebody from here post a separate explaining these things

Thanks in Advance

Hello everyone,

Here is the demo letter. Idea here is to stay polite and ask House members to support the senate version. Even if they want to modify the senate version please do so in a way that would also address VISA retrogression.

Please feel free to use the letter as well as modify it if anyone wants.

Sub: Employment Based EB Visa RETROGRESSION

Dear Honorable Member of Congress,

American businesses and legal immigrants (Information technology professionals, Health care professionals and others) are facing serious crises: “Lengthy Visa Backlogs Because Of Employment Based Visa Retrogression." These highly skilled workers face lengthy "green card" backlogs that will prevent them from becoming U.S. permanent residents in the foreseeable future.

The Senate has addressed the employment based visa retrogression issue by passing Bill # S 1932. The bill would provide several reliefs to the American companies and legal immigrants such as:
• Allow those whose labor has been approved to file for Adjustment of status even though the dates are not current.
• Provides flexibility to change their jobs in United States under AC21 law. Currently because of the VISA RETROGRESSION the AC21 law passed by Congress is of no use.
• American businesses will be able to find the right candidate with the right skills in United States.
• Spouses and children can take higher education at the American Schools and Universities who will ultimately contribute to American Businesses.

I urge you to please address the employment based visa retrogression issue in the House and provide a reasonable and workable solution to the VISA RETROGRESSION PROBLEM. The beneficiaries would be the people whose permanent labors are certified by the DOL (which proves that there are no Americans available or want to take these jobs) and are waiting to adjust their status since years. The inability of U.S. businesses to hire these talented professionals on a permanent basis severely hinders their competitiveness abroad. These are the legal immigrants who came to United States legally. They are the people who are following the law, and are paying taxes.

By addressing the Employment based Visa retrogression issue and by providing them a reasonable and workable solution the House will provide number of benefits to United States.
• Jobs WILL stay in USA: If legal immigrants are not allowed to adjust their status they will have to go back to their home country. As a result the corporations will be indirectly forced to outsource the job to other countries.
• Additional revenue for the Government: The govt. will get $500 more on each recaptured visa number. This will be additional revenue of $60 million per year.
• Stop the knowledge drain to other countries: Mr. Tom Ridge, ex chief of Homeland Security said in April 14, 2003 "as we secure America from terrorists, we do not want to risk losing the next Enrico Fermi or Albert Einstein…We would be a far poorer nation in many, many ways." These highly skilled people if not allowed to adjust their status will leave this country and would settle either in their home countries or in the competing countries such as United Kingdom, Canada, or Australia whose immigration policies have been made more conducive recently to attract highly skilled professionals.
• Growth of the Nation: Spouses and children can take higher education at the US Schools and Universities thereby contribute to a knowledgeable Society. Also Educated Spouses can start working on EAD's and contribute their share to the Nation's Economy.

We urge you take action at this critical juncture to provide much needed relief to legal immigrants. We request you to provide similar relief that Senate has provided by passing bill # 1932.

Thanking you,

Yours Sincerely,

YOUR NAME

kalimmigration said:
I have a question.

I understand and we sent letters and faxes to the senators to support immigration provisions in S.1932

1.To whoom should we send letters or faxes to support the immigration reform in the house version of the bill. I guess my question who is comprised of the house.

2. Can we also ask some one to make amends to include immigration things in HR - 4241(house version)

3. In case HR- 4241 is also passed. Who is going to combine these both bills to include immigration things(EB stuff)

4. At what point does it go to president for signing. I mean will there be voting again after they make changes combining both the bills and how do they make changes.

I guess iam little confused. can somebody answer these questions and i will post a separate thread explaining the process or somebody from here post a separate explaining these things

Thanks in Advance

Check these posts:

http://www.immigrationportal.com/showpost.php?p=1289997&postcount=37
http://www.immigrationportal.com/showpost.php?p=1284129&postcount=9

Hi Swarnapuri

Do you know anyone from Atlanta got approved by PBEC.If so what was their PD.

swarnapuri said:
As per my understanding, Spouse quota will become unlimited as it done for H4 visas.

GCTitan,
Do not post anything not related to Budget bill on this thread.

GCTitan said:
Hi Swarnapuri

Do you know anyone from Atlanta got approved by PBEC.If so what was their PD.

Reply From Congresswoman Zoe Lofgren

Hello Everyone,

I got email from Congresswoman Zoe Lofgren. Here is the copy of same. Everyone please keep sending fax, or emails to the representatives. Fax have more impact than email but if you do not have access to fax send emails.

I spoke to Congresswoman and she said that the more people send their concerns to the house representatives the more possibility the immigration community has that their concerns will be raised in the House.

So please, please keep fax or email to the House of representatives of your area.

Dear Mr. Dakwala:

Thank you for contacting me. I appreciate the time you took
to explain the impact of the H-1B visa cap and the "green
card" backlog on U.S. employers.

I understand well that the success of U.S. companies
depends on highly educated and talented U.S. citizens and
foreign nationals.

What we need is thoughtful reform that supports the
American economy and allows American companies the
benefit of the "best and brightest" from around the world.

As you know, the Republicans now lead in the House of
Representatives, Senate and White House. As such,
Republicans control what bills and amendments are
considered in committees and on the floor of the House of
Representatives. They have taken no action for reform but
have proposed legislating on a money bill in violation of
House rules. Should the Senate Judiciary Committee's H1-B
proposal come before me in the House of Representatives, I
will certainly consider your point of view.

Again, thank you for contacting me. Please do not hesitate
to contact me again if I can be of further assistance to you or
your family.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ac 21

Please understand that AC 21 is interim relief only. There is always the risk of employer revoking I140 and somebody else applying with the revoked labor. If the other person’s 485 gets processed before yours, you would not be able to get GC on that labor.

No, it is not true

Once the case is legitimately accepted under AC 21, it doesn't affect your case even if some body else uses your labor after revoking the I 140.

AAA_USA said:
Please understand that AC 21 is interim relief only. There is always the risk of employer revoking I140 and somebody else applying with the revoked labor. If the other person’s 485 gets processed before yours, you would not be able to get GC on that labor.